PDA

View Full Version : LAKE MEAD info please

SoCalSouthpaw
08-25-2006, 07:46 AM
Anyone have info on Mead? :idea: Conditions during the day in the basins. Lodging other than at Lake Mead Resort & Marina. Thanks. :)

beaverretriever
08-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Anyone have info on Mead? :idea: Conditions during the day in the basins. Lodging other than at Lake Mead Resort & Marina. Thanks. :)
A few of the small Motels in Boulder city are not bad. I personally would stay at the Sunset Station in Henderson. Its only 15-20min away from the lake and real nice. It has one of the best Mexican food restaurants I have ever eaten in. The Fiesta is ok as well but not as nice as the Sunset.
Mead is awesome. Honestly, I dont think it is as choppy as Havasu most of the time although I have seen it extremely rough, but just find a cove and hang.
The narrows is my favorite place to hang. Lots of boats and cool scenery.
Have fun and be careful.

SoCalSouthpaw
08-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Im thinkin of launching at Lake Mead resort, and driving (on the water) to another launch area up the lake a bit and find some lodging that way.

Holland
08-25-2006, 11:03 AM
A few of the small Motels in Boulder city are not bad. I personally would stay at the Sunset Station in Henderson. Its only 15-20min away from the lake and real nice. It has one of the best Mexican food restaurants I have ever eaten in. The Fiesta is ok as well but not as nice as the Sunset.
Mead is awesome. Honestly, I dont think it is as choppy as Havasu most of the time although I have seen it extremely rough, but just find a cove and hang.
The narrows is my favorite place to hang. Lots of boats and cool scenery.
Have fun and be careful.
Have I seen you there???? :boxed:
As for where to stay... Stay at the Hyatt in Lake Las Vegas. It is at the end of Lake Mead Blvd. 15 min out of Callville Marina... Nice place

BigDogIvan
08-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Do yourself a favor and launch at Callville. Lake Mead Marina's ramp is WAY to flat.

DILLIGAF
08-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Do yourself a favor and launch at Callville. Lake Mead Marina's ramp is WAY to flat.
I will be out there Mon-Thursday and people are telling me to launch at LM Marina instead of Calville because of low water. I have always launched at Calville in the past. Help me out here. Why am I getting conflicting stories? Thanks

OutCole'd
08-25-2006, 12:41 PM
I will be out there Mon-Thursday and people are telling me to launch at LM Marina instead of Calville because of low water. I have always launched at Calville in the past. Help me out here. Why am I getting conflicting stories? Thanks
Calville is at a "Launch at your own risk" deal. Water is way low. I would not launch there at all right now. Go to LV Marina instead, you will be fine there.

DILLIGAF
08-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Calville is at a "Launch at your own risk" deal. Water is way low. I would not launch there at all right now. Go to LV Marina instead, you will be fine there.
I believe LMM is closer to the gates to get into the park off of Boulder isn't it?

OutCole'd
08-25-2006, 12:48 PM
I believe LMM is closer to the gates to get into the park off of Boulder isn't it?
Yep, much closer.

DILLIGAF
08-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Yep, much closer.
Thanks

vegasriverjunkie
08-25-2006, 12:58 PM
If your staying at the GVR, you don't need to go through Boulder. Just stay on the 215 east and it turns into Lake Mead dr. That road will take you into Lake Mead.

DILLIGAF
08-25-2006, 01:08 PM
If your staying at the GVR, you don't need to go through Boulder. Just stay on the 215 east and it turns into Lake Mead dr. That road will take you into Lake Mead.
Right...Thanks

beaverretriever
08-25-2006, 01:47 PM
You can make it to Lake Mead Marina off the 95 through Boulder in less than 20 minutes. Going down Lake Mead Blvd will take 35-45 mins (at least it always takes me longer). Either way, it doesnt matter but staying on the freeway then entering on the Boulder City side is always the fastest IMHO.

jbtrailerjim
08-31-2006, 05:23 PM
I just got back last night from spending a couple of days on Mead. We stayed at the Sunset Station in Henderson. Sunset Station was real nice and they have 24hr security patroling the parking lot. It was only about a 20-25 minute drive to the ramp. Had to launch at Lake Mead Marina. The water is real low but it's fine if you stay to the right side of the ramp (as you are driving down to it).
I got to experience the absolute most perfect and some pretty bad water conditions out there. The first day was calm and the whole lake was like glass. The second day the wind came up and DAMN that water in the basin gets freakin huge. :2purples: It was quite a treat coming across Boulder basin with a steady 20-25mph wind blowing.
I had a great time though. That is a beautiful lake and I now know the meaning of rough water. Havasu chop hasn't got shit on what Mead will throw at ya! :supp: It is really depressing to see how low the water is out there though. But there is still a whole lot of water to boat on out there.

DILLIGAF
08-31-2006, 07:06 PM
I just got back last night from spending a couple of days on Mead. We stayed at the Sunset Station in Henderson. Sunset Station was real nice and they have 24hr security patroling the parking lot. It was only about a 20-25 minute drive to the ramp. Had to launch at Lake Mead Marina. The water is real low but it's fine if you stay to the right side of the ramp (as you are driving down to it).
I got to experience the absolute most perfect and some pretty bad water conditions out there. The first day was calm and the whole lake was like glass. The second day the wind came up and DAMN that water in the basin gets freakin huge. :2purples: It was quite a treat coming across Boulder basin with a steady 20-25mph wind blowing.
I had a great time though. That is a beautiful lake and I now know the meaning of rough water. Havasu chop hasn't got shit on what Mead will throw at ya! :supp: It is really depressing to see how low the water is out there though. But there is still a whole lot of water to boat on out there.
Nice meeting you out there Jim. We ended up going through the narrows and the water was as flat as could be. We hung out there for a few hours and on the way back I was running about 65 thru that rough water. Not an issue in the least heading into it as we were on top and just eating it up. We had to cut accross and were getting hit from the side and I didn't like that too much though. When we were going with the wind we were able to get some air and that was fun :). We ended up leaving the boat in the water for the night and went out again yesterday. As we pulled out yesterday afternoon there was a beautiful Outerlimits going out. Very nice boat and it sounded like it had a lot of power.
Excellant trip for us...except for the gambling aspect of it all :)

GHT
08-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Just launched at Mead this last weekend and it isn't too bad... It is a closer drive and a MUCH closer walk back to the truck (if you don't catch the golf cart shuttle). Although when the water is higher you can't beat Callville..

SummerBreeze
08-31-2006, 07:55 PM
I have been to Mead a few times in the Month or October. A great place to check out big lake with all kinds of interesting shore line rocks. We boat camped for may days each time. We hardly saw anyone out on the lake
Launched at Lake Mead marina

jag2
08-31-2006, 08:13 PM
I went out Tuesday, going with the waves is all good out to the beach, but my little 20 Eclipse didnt like those waves coming back in, filled her up to above the battery but she still was trying, my 1000 GPH bilge wasnt even keeping up with the 3 and a half and occasional 4 footers. It really wasnt that big a deal, but I had a 10 year old girl with that was scared to death so I ended up parked behind an island untill I figured it was git scootin or stay out all night. Im going to try again next Tuesday/wednesday. I hate living in Vegas but I love lake Mead, the low water in my opinion has made it much funner then when I was a kid.

jbtrailerjim
09-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Nice meeting you out there Jim. We ended up going through the narrows and the water was as flat as could be. We hung out there for a few hours and on the way back I was running about 65 thru that rough water. Not an issue in the least heading into it as we were on top and just eating it up. We had to cut accross and were getting hit from the side and I didn't like that too much though. When we were going with the wind we were able to get some air and that was fun :). We ended up leaving the boat in the water for the night and went out again yesterday. As we pulled out yesterday afternoon there was a beautiful Outerlimits going out. Very nice boat and it sounded like it had a lot of power.
Excellant trip for us...except for the gambling aspect of it all :)
It was good meeting you also. Sorry we didn't hook up on the lake later in the day. I took your advice and didn't venture out too far. We cruised around Boulder Basin and in and out of coves. We found a real nice cove with a nice sandy beach that was sheltered from the wind. We came in around 4:30 or 5:00. I saw your boat tied up at the docks when we came in. The water in the basin was huge and the boat was airborne several times. I was only running just on plane at 15-20mph. My 5 year old son was a little scared running through the basin in that rough water. I actually thought it was kinda fun running through the rough stuff. I just wouldn't want to have to run through it for several miles.
Good times though. I want to make another trip out there before the end of the season or maybe I'll make a trip out to Mohave.

jbtrailerjim
09-01-2006, 08:30 AM
I went out Tuesday, going with the waves is all good out to the beach, but my little 20 Eclipse didnt like those waves coming back in, filled her up to above the battery but she still was trying, my 1000 GPH bilge wasnt even keeping up with the 3 and a half and occasional 4 footers. It really wasnt that big a deal, but I had a 10 year old girl with that was scared to death so I ended up parked behind an island untill I figured it was git scootin or stay out all night. Im going to try again next Tuesday/wednesday. I hate living in Vegas but I love lake Mead, the low water in my opinion has made it much funner then when I was a kid.
We actually took only a few sprays over the bow on the way back in. It was a real rough ride though. I was definitely wishing I had a bigger boat at that momment.
Hate Vegas?? Man, I'm so freakin jealous of the people that live in Vegas and Henderson. I'd love to live less than hour from Mead. That lake is awesome. Driving four hours to the lake from California really sucks ass! The drive home is even worse.

THOR
09-01-2006, 09:53 AM
There is no lake smoother than Mead when it is smooth, yet there isnt a lake that gets any rougher either. I have seen a 35 Fountain sink in water out there. Not good.

Moe_Havi
09-01-2006, 10:10 AM
The Las Vegas Marina and the Lake Mead Marina are both on the 166. It's LVM that is too low to launch a boat over a 21. I just got back a couple weeks ago. I put in at LMM and went up river 35 miles to my room at Echo bay. Pretty cool, ($95 per night plus $15 for a slip). Because of water level they offer shuttle. From there you can explore all the way past Temple bar (they also have rooms on the water) and beyond. The great part about this part of mead is that even on busy weekends it is pretty remote. Boulder basin will be packed. Now is a good time to call them for cancellations too. Good luck.
Moe