PDA

View Full Version : TV Guru's

djunkie
08-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Does this look like a good deal?
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=227483

Jyruiz
08-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Where is it going to go and what are you mostley going to be watching on it?,you know, DVD's, HD, NTSC programs? Oh, and I would past with that response time.

djunkie
08-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Where is it going to go and what are you mostley going to be watching on it?,you know, DVD's, HD, NTSC programs?
Hell I don't know. It'll probably go in my room until I finally get a house. Probably mostly watch tv (digital cable) and DVD's.

Jyruiz
08-25-2006, 12:42 PM
If you have 20/20 vision or better, you won't like the picture quality. I suggest you go and check it out in person, there is a Micro Center in Tustin, of Edinger and the 55FWY. I use to work there, brings back memories.

djunkie
08-25-2006, 12:43 PM
If you have 20/20 vision or better, you won't like the picture quality. I suggest you go and check it out in person, there is a Micro Center in Tustin, of Edinger and the 55FWY. I use to work there, brings back memories.
20/12. :(

Jesster
08-25-2006, 01:17 PM
If I remember right it needs to be at least 8 - 12 ms, obviously the lower the better, to avoid excess blurring. Some of the new monitors coming out are as low as 3-4 ms (mostly comp monitors). But fast response times aren't going to help picture quality, and the only way they can keep prices that low is to bring picture quality down with it. ryruiz is right, go look at it and if you can live with the pic quality thats a big TV for the money. Make sure you view it with whatever source you are going to use it with the most. If you dont mind stepping down to a 32" the best quality for the money I have found is the Westinghouse. If you look around and aren't in a hurry you can pick one up for about that price.

djunkie
08-25-2006, 01:22 PM
If I remember right it needs to be at least 8 - 12 ms, obviously the lower the better, to avoid excess blurring. Some of the new monitors coming out are as low as 3-4 ms (mostly comp monitors). But fast response times aren't going to help picture quality, and the only way they can keep prices that low is to bring picture quality down with it. ryruiz is right, go look at it and if you can live with the pic quality thats a big TV for the money. Make sure you view it with whatever source you are going to use it with the most. If you dont mind stepping down to a 32" the best quality for the money I have found is the Westinghouse. If you look around and aren't in a hurry you can pick one up for about that price.
It was just an idea. A buddy of mine sent me the link and I was just curious on the quality. I'm kinda holding out to get one of these. :rollside:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDL46XBR3&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_flatpanel_46to52

Jyruiz
08-25-2006, 01:37 PM
I am not a big fan of the LCD technology when used as a TV, because they suffer from the the Screen Door Effect, Any TV that uses a technology with a significant gap between pixels will suffer from the Screen Door Effect.

djunkie
08-25-2006, 01:43 PM
I am not a big fan of the LCD technology when used as a TV, because they suffer from the the Screen Door Effect, Any TV that uses a technology with a significant gap between pixels will suffer from the Screen Door Effect.
SOunds like a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo to me. My buddy has this tv and it looks awesome to me. :rollside:

Jyruiz
08-25-2006, 01:54 PM
SOunds like a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo to me. My buddy has this tv and it looks awesome to me. :rollside:
Hey, you are the only one who has to be happy with the TV, after all, you are the one who is going to be watching it. Ignore everything and go get it, quit wasting our time and asking us what we think. :)

djunkie
08-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Hey, you are the only one who has to be happy with the TV, after all, you are the one who is going to be watching it. Ignore everything and go get it, quit wasting our time and asking us what we think. :)
I didn't mean it that way JY. I know some are better than others. And like you said as long as your happy with it then thats all that matters. All I wanted to know is if anyone knew anything about the tv I originally posted. Thanks :rollside:

Jyruiz
08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
I didn't mean it that way JY. I know some are better than others. And like you said as long as your happy with it then thats all that matters. All I wanted to know is if anyone knew anything about the tv I originally posted. Thanks :rollside:
No worries bro, I did not take it bad at all. You know how the internet is, I was trying to be a smart azz. :rollside:

Jyruiz
08-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Just so you know, I use to work on the Winbooks (laptops) when they first came out, that is way back when I worked there. The Winbooks were pretty good laptops, durable and easy to work on. I see now that Winbooks is a name brand for them and branching out to other equipment. One thing for sure though, Micro Center really did there homework before putting there own name brand (Winbook is there own name brand) name on something.

djunkie
08-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Just so you know, I use to work on the Winbooks (laptops) when they first came out, that is way back when I worked there. The Winbooks were pretty good laptops, durable and easy to work on. I see now that Winbooks is a name brand for them and branching out to other equipment. One thing for sure though, Micro Center really did there homework before putting there own name brand (Winbook is there own name brand) name on something.
Gotcha. Ya it just sounded like one of those to good to be true deals. I definately wouldn't buy one without going and looking at it first. $800 is a lot for me to spend on something I'm not 100% sure of.

ROZ
08-25-2006, 03:56 PM
The pixel refresh rate on LCD panels is slower as well...

JB in so cal
08-25-2006, 04:03 PM
You're like Batman. Just shine a plasma into the night sky with a rainbow flag symbol and Roz'll answer your questions.
How's it going? Swim in Toby's dna tank, yet?

ROZ
08-25-2006, 04:30 PM
How's it going? Swim in Toby's dna tank, yet?
Nope. But I heard RR has accidentally ingested some when playing marco- polo.... :D
He might need a shot or something :D

Jyruiz
08-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Hence the response times on there specs. :D

Parker Dreamin
08-25-2006, 08:52 PM
wow...

GHT
08-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Yea, but is it really enough to notice? Kinda reminds me of THD (total Harmonic Distortion) in home stereos.. Only a F'ing dog (which can't speak) or someone with special equipment can tell a difference..
Oh, LCD doesn't show "Pure" black too.... (so I hear) but my eyes can't tell a difference.