PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of these box speakers

MohaveChuck
01-13-2006, 12:22 PM
I need a set of marine box speakers for the cruiser and I came across these:
Access Technologies (MAS-5202Ti) 5 1/4" 80-Watt
Two-way Box Speaker
Full Size 5¼" Woofer, Titanium Plated Polypropylene Cone. 10 Oz. Strontium Magnet, Vented T Yoke.
160 Watts Max, 80 Watt RMS power handling.
Impedance, 6 Ohms
Swivel tweeter, 1" Titanium dome. Neodymium magnet.
Plated and powder coated Aluminum grille and mounting bracket
High temp plastic enclosure, -20°C to +105°C. 400Hr UV stable ASTM testing.
Fs; <40 Hz.
Eff.; >86db.
Freq. Response; 30Hz.-25KHz 1db
Power Handling; 80 Watts RMS, 150 Watts max.
Stainless Steel Hardware
Does the 6 Ohms impedence change anything? Does it change the power from the amp that will drive these? Would Jensen MS6900SM with 4 Ohm impedence and 60W rms be better?
Chuck

ROZ
01-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Does the 6 Ohms impedence change anything? Does it change the power from the amp that will drive these? Would Jensen MS6900SM with 4 Ohm impedence and 60W rms be better? Chuck
Yes... Your 6ohms is greater resistance and the amp will have less output as a result. It should have a lower noise ratio as well...
4ohms will let the amp run at it's rated output at 4ohms...
Chance is that that speaker is designed to do double duty as an outdoor home speaker.. Some home stereos aren't stable at 4ohms nominal, so they went with drivers to bring up the resistance.. Home audio is at home at 8ohms nominal with the good ones 4ohm stable..

MohaveChuck
01-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Roz,
Should I just figure on a bigger amp and be OK with these speakers or should I go with the Jensens?
Hard to find big box speakers, I want to be able to put 100 watts RMS to them if I had to. I am going with 4 other Infinity Kappas marine, but I want to pull these out to put on the deck from time to time.
Also I need to angle my 6x9's and a set of 6 1/2s but can't find some angled spacers.
Thanks
Chuck