PDA

View Full Version : Mooring Rule Before City Council

fasthtm
08-26-2006, 05:30 AM
THEY ARE AT IT AGAIN !
Restrictions on mooring in the Bridgewater Channel, in addition to rider safety guidelines, will be introduced at Tuesday's City Council meeting.
Unless a watercraft is moored to a designated mooring post, no boater may moor, park, anchor, or leave their watercraft standing within 25-feet of the eastside of the channel.
Larry Reese, president of Lake Havasu City Marine Association, expressed dissatisfaction with another layer of rules in the channel.
“It seems as if the current rules, when enforced, keep everything running smoothly,” he said. “Either [ordinance] has the possibility of harming the boating industry to such a degree that it harms Lake Havasu City.”
At a meeting in late June, Councilman Bruce Hinman suggested a clarification on mooring was needed. Interim City Attorney Paul Lenkowsky crafted the wording.
Reached for comment Friday, Hinman said the ordinance's wording needs to be clarified. Particularly, he was unsure where exactly in the channel it pertained.
Lenkowsky said, “The ordinance as written is unambiguous, but council is free to clarify it.”
As presented, the ordinance prevents a congestion of boats in the channel, said Lenkowsky.
He added that the 25-feet requirement was discussed and reviewed between his law office, city staff, and the police department.
A separate ordinance being introduced calls for boat passengers to refrain from riding on the gunwales, transom, or the deck over the bow while a watercraft is moving.
Reese feels this restriction is being brought up to prevent women from dancing on boats, which is common over busy holiday weekends.
“They were looking for a way to stop the dancing on the front of the boats...You can't legislate morality. Where does it stop? If you do this, what is next?”
Exceptions are allowed for “watercraft designed and constructed for the purpose of carrying passengers at all speeds,” or if the boat is being maneuvered in preparation for anchoring or mooring, according to the wording written by Lenkowsky.
“If you're in the channel, and sitting where you have the possibility of falling over, police like to have the option,” Hinman said about officers citing people for riding dangerously.
This ordinance also prohibits children under the age of 12 from operating a watercraft of greater than eight horsepower in the channel, unless an adult properly supervises the child.
Like the broad behavior ordinance, these last two provisions are classified as a Class 1 misdemeanor, punishable with up to $2,500 and up to six months in jail.
Hinman called the penalty “a little stiff,” but agreed with the ordinance's provisions.
The mooring ordinance does not include any details on possible penalties.
Neither of these laws can be officially adopted on Tuesday because at least two public hearings must be held prior becoming enforceable, should council decide to adopt them.
City Council will hold a work session starting at 5 p.m. on Tuesday in the police facility room. A presentation by University of Arizona students on the Bridgewater Channel survey, in addition to a presentation by Newtown Community Development concerning workforce housing programs will commence at that time.
The regular meeting, including discussion on the above ordinances, begins at 7 p.m.

Not So Fast
08-26-2006, 07:35 AM
Do not forget that Bruce Hinman came up with the belly botton theory when you vote for the new council in about three weeks? His notion was that you were swimming (which is against the law) if your belly button was below the water line, above it was OK because then you would be "Wading" :idea: Geeze, I wonder how the LHPD would like to enforce that one?? :confused: Vote accordingly!! NSF

CMATT21
08-26-2006, 07:59 AM
I own in the channel. They have now posted signs saying no moring after allowing us to park our boats for almost 2 yrs. . This council forgets what they allow and don't. In 1996 a deal was made that allowed over night parking in front of Kingsview condos. The Builder had to give the beach he owned to the city to obtain permits to build. They agreed to this deal as parking would not be restricted to tenants and owners. The city did not want to restrict access to the beach for any persons. Now here we go again. A change from the agreement. I pay taxes on the property, Hotel tax, Bring people from all over the US to stay at our condo and NOW they try to blow everything we worked for and invested in. Politics suck.

chub
08-26-2006, 08:12 AM
I own in the channel. They have now posted signs saying no moring after allowing us to park our boats for almost 2 yrs. . This council forgets what they allow and don't. In 1996 a deal was made that allowed over night parking in front of Kingsview condos. The Builder had to give the beach he owned to the city to obtain permits to build. They agreed to this deal as parking would not be restricted to tenants and owners. The city did not want to restrict access to the beach for any persons. Now here we go again. A change from the agreement. I pay taxes on the property, Hotel tax, Bring people from all over the US to stay at our condo and NOW they try to blow everything we worked for and invested in. Politics suck.
Get involved kind Sir. You have a history that the present council may not know/understand. Your voice of reason may swing things and enlighten (sp) things to come.
Respectfully, Chub

duffster
08-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Is anyone going to Tuesday's City Council meeting? If so please keep us updated. This is a huge issue for the people that own and rent your condos.

lawbreaker2
08-29-2006, 06:11 AM
I think I'm giving up on wanting to move to havasu or even come to vist this place anymore, If the city does not want us fine folks to come there to party and let loose, Then I will just go some where else to spend my money. :rolleyes: I belive in the safty of all, but I think there getting out of hand. :mad:

HavasuSelect
08-29-2006, 06:27 AM
I think I'm giving up on wanting to move to havasu or even come to vist this place anymore, If the city does not want us fine folks to come there to party and let loose, Then I will just go some where else to spend my money. :rolleyes: I belive in the safty of all, but I think there getting out of hand. :mad:
I guess the city's plan is working.

Bradman
08-29-2006, 06:35 AM
I think this is what some of those city counsel members want to hear. From noise constrants, no overnight mooring, closing the sandbar on holiday weekends and so on. They can make all the stupid laws they want to, but they will NOT ever keep me from what my family and I love doing most...BOATING.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-29-2006, 06:59 AM
I think this is what some of those city counsel members want to hear. From noise constrants, no overnight mooring, closing the sandbar on holiday weekends and so on. They can make all the stupid laws they want to, but they will NOT ever keep me from what my family and I love doing most...BOATING.
Just as an FYI, the City has nothing to do with closing the Sandbar. That is SBSD , MCSD, and US Fish and Wildlife.

voodoomedman
08-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Just as an FYI, the City has nothing to do with closing the Sandbar. That is SBSD , MCSD, and US Fish and Wildlife.
That's the problem. I think all authorities over the lake or small parts of it should work together. Added legislation is just stupid. Work together to enforce current laws to get the drunks, inexperienced boaters, just basically the idiots that are going to kill people off the water. And as much as I like boobies, there is a time and a place so enforce the current laws. i.e. show nudity go to jail get a fine whatever but dancing and you get a fine that is stupid.
It's basically like this. I was there this last weekend and was suprised at how dead the channel was when I cruised through. I bet the council was happy about that. Now the problem is that when I drove by the Sandbar I think that has got to be the busiest I personally have ever seen it. It looked to me like it was only two boats short of being able to match the aerial pictures you can buy at Steveo's. All these dummies close down or put restrictions on one area and everybody just moves to the next. No heres the kicker, not only are the problems not solved (just moved somewhere else) there is no place to spend money at the Sandbar so the channel shops are losing out. I mean if the mayhem is going to be on the lake anyway at least profit off of it.
Get rid of the idiots and open the channel back up. The channel will be filled but with families spending money and creating a nice atmosphere.

UncleLarry
08-29-2006, 08:07 AM
This is the first of two public hearings the city must have to enact a new ordinance.. If no one on the council objects tonite - they then will have the second public hearing at the Sept council meeting...
In addition to this new ordinance they will also be considering one that would ban the riding or standing on the bow, gunwales, engine cover of any boat while under way within the the city limits.. (The channel is the city limits)...
Many locals are working behind the scenes to convince the council that both of these are a bad idea.... If you are a registered az. voter or a land/home owner in Lake Havasu - it might help if you write, call or contact the council members..
The key to stopping this is not whinning or threatening.. The key is for anyone who knows anyone on the council to do -- some good old fashion arm twisting to convince them this is not in the best interest of the entire city.
If you or someone you know has political clout in the town - now is the time to put it to use..
LIfe is a small town is never dull....
Enjoy

Not So Fast
08-29-2006, 08:33 AM
This is the first of two public hearings the city must have to enact a new ordinance.. If no one on the council objects tonite - they then will have the second public hearing at the Sept council meeting...
In addition to this new ordinance they will also be considering one that would ban the riding or standing on the bow, gunwales, engine cover of any boat while under way within the the city limits.. (The channel is the city limits)...
Many locals are working behind the scenes to convince the council that both of these are a bad idea.... If you are a registered az. voter or a land/home owner in Lake Havasu - it might help if you write, call or contact the council members..
The key to stopping this is not whinning or threatening.. The key is for anyone who knows anyone on the council to do -- some good old fashion arm twisting to convince them this is not in the best interest of the entire city.
If you or someone you know has political clout in the town - now is the time to put it to use..
Enjoy
Not to change the subject Uncle Larry and I guess i'm not really changing it but I wish some of these people running for office would address real problems like our sewer charge increases, the floating vendors taking up all the beach front, the kindergarten over ride fiasco to mention a few. We simply have enough laws on the books to control almost every situation that could happen but the council seems hell bent on clearing out the channel to boats period. How about dredging the channel because it's in real need of it and the second bridge, what about that? Those are the things that I believe need addressing. As been said aout a gazzlion times on here "enforce the laws in place" period. JMO :chi: NSF

SummitKarl
08-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Enjoy
bummer, Two council members house plans just went to the bottom of my pile ;), UL...I have the Ear of Bruce H. How would you like me to return your PSA favor :)

spectratoad
08-29-2006, 09:27 AM
THEY ARE AT IT AGAIN !
“It seems as if the current rules, when enforced, keep everything running smoothly,” he said.
WOW that kinda make sense now doesn't it. :mad:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but since the Channel is part of a Federal waterway, wouldn't the Army Corps of Engineers need to grant approval to dredge the channel?

Not So Fast
08-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but since the Channel is part of a Federal waterway, wouldn't the Army Corps of Engineers need to grant approval to dredge the channel?
Thats the fly in the ointment right there Dreamin. Windsor cant or wont fix the direction of the north courtesy slips because of,Yep, Corp of Engineers. Lake Havasu City won't or can't control the rental floating vendors clogging up the shore line because, yep its controlled by BLM from elevation 450 or some crap like that. Dredging the channel to make it safe, same crap, and on and on. The things that really need attention wont get fixed because of red tape. Why is the channel ALWAYS the subject of city council? :idea: NSF

ratso
08-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah... just as soon as those friggin' idiots get through with Louisiana. :yuk: That is the biggest clusterfu#k of people I ever met in my life...

Kilrtoy
08-29-2006, 03:41 PM
I dont even know whythey have these meeeting, (PROBABLY JUST TO KEEP IT LEGAL), that law has already passed.... we just don't know it yet