PDA

View Full Version : First time boat buyer!!!

Jeremy K.
08-26-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm a first time boat buyer, so I'm basically looking for any advice possible whether it be the difference between an I/O vs. a jet boat and the pros and cons, or the pros and cons of buying new vs. used. I'm interested in basic runabouts/open bows from 18-22 feet(Maxum,Chapparal,searay,..etc.). I've already researched probably every brand possible in this catergory and I'm now confused and stuck more than I was before. Also, what is the process when you finance a boat from a private party, is it a pain and how does it work?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeremy

squirt'nmyload
08-26-2006, 05:28 PM
just remember.....B reak O ut A nother T housand

YeLLowBoaT
08-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Well its good that you have narrowed it down to what kind of boat you would like. Now when it comes to the Issue of size. There is a big diff between a 18' and a 22'. So lets start with some basic Qs.
1 What size truck/suv do you have?
2 How many ppl do you want to take out?
3 What are the ~ ages of the ppl you want to take out?
4 how much do you want to spend? ( one of the most important factors... more so if you have a wife)
I would suggest you buy a used boat. You can save yourself alot cash by doing so. I would also suggest you ether get a I/O or an outbored.( if you can find one I would rather have a OB then a I/O.) Not saying you can not get a jet, its just that most jet boats are older. So when you go to buy one there is alot more stuff to look for that a 1st buyer would not know/even think about.

Thorsinc
08-26-2006, 11:41 PM
For your first boat do your self a favor - Buy the cheapest used boat you can get your hands on. If you still love boating after you figure how to put it on the trailer on a holiday weekend, Beach it without messing up the gel coat and prop, pulling up to a doc with a bunch of drunken friends giving you advice, while you fight the winds and the current and other boaters. Figuring what friends under stand the boat runs on gas and not friendship. Learn how to keep from running over all the unwanted lake lice. Budgeting for the unexpected mechanic break down cost while at the lake. Once you have mastered those then step your boat up, if it’s in your blood.

squirt'nmyload
08-27-2006, 09:06 AM
For your first boat do your self a favor - Buy the cheapest used boat you can get your hands on. If you still love boating after you figure how to put it on the trailer on a holiday weekend, Beach it without messing up the gel coat and prop, pulling up to a doc with a bunch of drunken friends giving you advice, while you fight the winds and the current and other boaters. Figuring what friends under stand the boat runs on gas and not friendship. Learn how to keep from running over all the unwanted lake lice. Budgeting for the unexpected mechanic break down cost while at the lake. Once you have mastered those then step your boat up, if it’s in your blood.
lmfao

Legal Chemistry
08-27-2006, 09:54 AM
First realize it's not B.O.A.T. -it's B.O.A.S.T (break out another SEVERAL thousand!) I think just about everyone here can attest to that.
Good luck with your search. Although several people do recommend i/o vs jet, but for your first boat IMO a jet has a bit more leeway on price and function... They tend to cost less, and have a very simple layout. You also don't have to worry about grounding your prop on rocks, sand, beach, etc. And if you're a family guy... the kids/drunken friends (for some reason those two can sooo easily be grouped together) wont hit the prop on the way out the back. Jets will use for fuel for the same given speed -that is a drawback.
Either way, the important factor is getting on the water and enjoying it. You're on the right track that your looking for a boat and not the dreaded "personal watercraft" aka lake lice. Good luck!

bchbum
08-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I work next to Davies ramp in Long Beach .On the corner is Long Beach Yauct Sales (sp?) they always have alot of boats in that size range . They just got a 2004 Ultra 24' Stealth . Their web site is LBYS.com :cool:

Coach
08-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Great advice. You will hit things and scratch things so used is a great way to go. I have a jet and the safety factor is our reasoning for it. Learing to boat we didn't want to make some catastrophic mistake with a prop. I am selling my boat and getting a tournament boat with a prop (still under the boat and out of the way unlike a stern drive). I feel more confident in my boating skills and so does my wife at this point. Good luck and look at as many boats as possible. I looked for about 4-5 months before I found my boat. It just takes time to see everything out there on the market and how good or bad it is.

YODA
08-27-2006, 02:18 PM
If youre not in a hurry to get one (and dont be) check out the boat shows around the beginning of the year. That will give you an idea of what to look for in a used boat. And definately, for your first one go used.

Nord
08-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey Jeremy its Dave!! We have been super busy today, so I haven't been able to research anything yet. I know there is some boat loan guys on here that can help you with financing questions so hopefully they will chime in here soon...
~NORD~

Jeremy K.
08-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, thanks for the advice. I think i will focus on getting a used boat, although, what is the financial advice? I would like to spend under 25,000 for a used boat.
Jeremy

YeLLowBoaT
08-27-2006, 07:35 PM
You could spend way under 10k and get a killer boat. Hell if you look you could find a very nice boat for 5k.

HavasuSelect
08-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Awesome post. Funny and true. Owning a boat is definetely a love hate relationship.

shueman
08-27-2006, 09:12 PM
I'd go to the lake and RENT....try it before you buy it.... :cool:

67weimann
08-27-2006, 09:19 PM
I'd go to the lake and RENT....try it before you buy it.... :cool:
Someone should of told me that before...good idea. Rent it, run WFO across the lake, and return it with a obnoxious rod knock..lmao
Think I can rent a 18' jet with a mill setup to run in the area of 100?

Nord
08-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Isn't Boatloanguy here on the boards the guy to ask??
Paging BLG...........
What does one have to do to finance a used boat??? I'm pretty sure thats the question he wants answered.
~NORD~

Deano
08-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Isn't Boatloanguy here on the boards the guy to ask??
Paging BLG...........
What does one have to do to finance a used boat??? I'm pretty sure thats the question he wants answered.
~NORD~
Its just as easy as a new one. The same companies do both, unlike car manufacturers and such. I dont think the rates get any worse either.

Water Romper
08-28-2006, 01:53 PM
The other H/B Peeps are right on the money regarding purchasing a New (used) first boat. :crossx:
Buy used, take it for a test run and have the seller explain the “ins and outs” of launching, mooring, driving fast as well as slow, docking, adjusting trim and retrieving the boat at the end of the day.
Outboards and I/O’s would be my first choice because jets can be a bit tricky to drive and steer. As far as hull type, that is a loaded question. Maxim, Sea Ray etc are the deep V boats that will handle chop but are more cumbersome. The shallow V’s are quicker, faster however can be a handful in choppy water. Eliminators, Ultra, Carrera, (and getting even older…Kona, Baker, maybe even a Beesimer (sp?) or Sanger would be a nice catch if the conditions are right.
Perhaps an older Eliminator, for around $10,000 would be a good starting point however I have seen some pretty nice deals around Christmas time between $5,500 to $8,000. Of course you can pick up a $2500.00 nightmare and end up hating life too… :yuk: :cry:
Remember, your buying a trailer too so make sure it’s in good shape, not bent or tweaked and make sure all tags and CF numbers are legit.
Take a peek at the boat trader, there are all different kinds of boats in there and one might catch your eye. :D

Water Romper
08-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Also…I could be wrong but I don’t think banks are in a real hurry to finance a used older boat..I would hit up a credit union and get a signature loan…an actual boat lot would probably be the best bet for financing.

Legal Chemistry
08-28-2006, 03:49 PM
I haven't spammed my boat yet, I may be putting out feelers... but it may be going up for sale (another boat just this last weekend.) Hit me up if you interested. It could be in your size/price range. The pump/engine has been gone through in just the last few months (BOAST!) 24', open bow, 454 SportPac Premium, dominator pump w/A impeller. Not the best pic, but you get the idea...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l25/jman186186/boat.jpg