PDA

View Full Version : My once in a while side job, detailing cars (pics)

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 07:06 AM
I detailed my sister in laws car, here are some before after pics. She lives by the beach and has not waxed her car since 2000. Here is what I did,
wash
claybar
wash
polish
wax
I also cleaned the inside and wheels and tires. I only charged her $150.00 because she is family.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17068&stc=1
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17069&stc=1
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17070&stc=1
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17071&stc=1

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 07:07 AM
A couple more.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17073&stc=1
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17074&stc=1

ratso
08-28-2006, 07:13 AM
$150 and upped the value probably $1500!

RitcheyRch
08-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Looks good.

dmontzsta
08-28-2006, 07:50 AM
That looks good, she just needs some new headlights! :)

NOTALENT
08-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Haha...mine our worse then that....shit they want like $200 bucks each though!!! :mad:

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 08:03 AM
She does, I was going to use some rubbing compound and get that shit out, but I did enough.

Hardly Satisfied
08-28-2006, 08:25 AM
car looks like new, good job. now you can move up to havasu and start detailing boats

Throttle
08-28-2006, 08:29 AM
better yet, how bout you stay in oc and take over my customers! so i can retire from the detailing biz and concentrate on the fd.

Riverat84
08-28-2006, 08:30 AM
hey thats awesome! i do sidework detailing also here in long beach, i have buisiness cards and everything....the reason i've kept it hush hush on here is because i dont have the resources to accomadate the ppl here...im not mobile yet. but i HAVE gone to havasu/parker a bunch of times to do an all day detail on a boat here and there....sick job man... did you have to clay bar that mustang much?....sure looked like it.
Reid

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 08:32 AM
better yet, how bout you stay in oc and take over my customers! so i can retire from the detailing biz and concentrate on the fd.
PM me some info, sounds interesting.

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 08:34 AM
hey thats awesome! i do sidework detailing also here in long beach, i have buisiness cards and everything....the reason i've kept it hush hush on here is because i dont have the resources to accomadate the ppl here...im not mobile yet. but i HAVE gone to havasu/parker a bunch of times to do an all day detail on a boat here and there....sick job man... did you have to clay bar that mustang much?....sure looked like it.
Reid
Thanks for the compliments. And yes, I had to claybar the F*** out of it, it had never been claybar and living by the water in LB, the salt and everything else just builds up. Oh, and she is family so I only charged her $150.00 for everything.

Riverat84
08-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the compliments. And yes, I had to claybar the F*** out of it, it had never been claybar and living by the water in LB, the salt and everything else just builds up. Oh, and she is family so I only charged her $150.00 for everything.
oh for sure, i feel ya...im scared to charge ppl that much, but yeah if i need to clay the whole part of the car(not just the roof and hood) ill charge up to 2 bills depending on size....i just wish i was mobile...i'd be rolling in the dough right now, hehe...f' sho.
Reid

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 08:42 AM
oh for sure, i feel ya...im scared to charge ppl that much, but yeah if i need to clay the whole part of the car(not just the roof and hood) ill charge up to 2 bills depending on size....i just wish i was mobile...i'd be rolling in the dough right now, hehe...f' sho.
Reid
We were walking 2nd stree in LB yesterday and ran across a detail shop, we asked how much just to claybar a 2000 Mustang (so my SIL could realize the deal she got) convertible, and they said it was $185.00, no polish, no wax, just claybar. I could defenitely make a living out of it, but I am not mobil either and that work takes a beating on ones body after a while. I would just like to do two cars a week for some extra play money.

AZJD
08-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Nice results! Best $150.00 your SIL has ever spent.....

Not So Fast
08-28-2006, 09:15 AM
That came out very nice Juan :D When a finish is neglected that long they sometimes dont come back like that (unless you grind the hell out of them with compound) I am really amazed at the number of people that are not aware of the Magical Clay, I've used them for about 10 years now and they are just amazing. If the whole car (or boat) needs it (usually just the upper surfaces need it) then I clay after washing and keep the whole car wet, easier than spot cleaning but the way the surface feels afterwards is what I love, smooth and slicker than snot!! I have also use a fine compound on the plastic lenses for headlights with pretty good results. Cleanliness is next to Godliness you know. :cool: NSF

SOCALDETAIL1
08-28-2006, 09:31 AM
You can actually buff them out really nice and save about $400 bucks. I do them all the time. I even have people send them to me from out of state. Mark

SOCALDETAIL1
08-28-2006, 09:34 AM
We were walking 2nd stree in LB yesterday and ran across a detail shop, we asked how much just to claybar a 2000 Mustang (so my SIL could realize the deal she got) convertible, and they said it was $185.00, no polish, no wax, just claybar. I could defenitely make a living out of it, but I am not mobil either and that work takes a beating on ones body after a while. I would just like to do two cars a week for some extra play money.
Looks good, Hey if you are ever looking for side work let me know. I might have 26 vettes to do for the Route 66 carshow in 2 weeks. Mark

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Looks good, Hey if you are ever looking for side work let me know. I might have 26 vettes to do for the Route 66 carshow in 2 weeks. Mark
Send me some info, if I am free and it pays good, I might give you a hand.

Boozer
08-28-2006, 09:40 AM
$150.00 is an awesome price considering you did the clay bar. I charged $60 an hour for clay bar on top of the detail price. Most people were hesitant when I quoted that much money but I would do a small area to show them the differance the clay bar makes and they would almost always accept the price after seeing the capabilities of a clay bar. Considering the amount of effort involved and the cost of the bar and spray $60 an hour is a more then fair price.

lucky
08-28-2006, 09:50 AM
isn't hot boat "family" lmao --

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 11:20 AM
isn't hot boat "family" lmao --
Lol, my family just got bigger. Lol.

Riverat84
08-28-2006, 04:37 PM
oh for sure!...i think i might start charging a little different than i have been lately...i would usually (and some of you might think im crazy) detail a whole car/small truck and claybar the whole thing and wax it for 100 bucks....i didnt really realize what i could be making if i just work a little harder...f' sho.
reid

Riverat84
08-28-2006, 04:41 PM
hey JYruiz....i dont mean to threadjack, but if you cant or dont have time to help socaldetail out on those vettes, im down to check it out....also if you need some help on some cars or boats, im down to lend a hand...kinda looking to up my cliantel.

DansBlown73Nordic
08-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Explain Claybar????? :cool:

Riverat84
08-28-2006, 05:01 PM
dan66...have you ever washed a car or your car and felt the paint after its dry and it still feels quite rough like sandpaper? that's because there's an assload of small dirt particles stuck inside your clearcoat on the paint....so what you do after you have stripped the car of wax with some kind of strong soap, you take quick detailer which is a spray that acts like a lubricant then you take a certain kind of clay just made for this...its soft and kneedable...you rub the clay on the paint with the lubricant because if you just use the clay w/out any lubricant you'll ruin the paint...and as you rub the clay on the paint it litteraly sucks up the dirt from the paint into the clay and after gives the paint a great glass feeling just like new....you HAVE to wax the paint after you claybar and dry off because the paint can become contaminated again in a matter of weeks....hope this answered your question....f' sho.
Reid

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 05:17 PM
hey JYruiz....i dont mean to threadjack, but if you cant or dont have time to help socaldetail out on those vettes, im down to check it out....also if you need some help on some cars or boats, im down to lend a hand...kinda looking to up my cliantel.
No problem bro, it is not my first job anyway. I do it, because believe it or not, I enjoy it and it takes my mind of everything else. I also take pride on the finish product when I get done and see how good the cars look. I love cars, and I like making them look better, but lets see what Socal has to say, if I have the time, I would like to help as well as check out the cars.

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 05:18 PM
oh for sure!...i think i might start charging a little different than i have been lately...i would usually (and some of you might think im crazy) detail a whole car/small truck and claybar the whole thing and wax it for 100 bucks....i didnt really realize what i could be making if i just work a little harder...f' sho.
reid
Yup, you are not charging enough.

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 05:21 PM
By the way, here are the products I use.
Zaino (http://www.zainostore.com/)

VanDeano
08-28-2006, 06:11 PM
I charge $250.00 to clay and full detail and do an average of 3 cars a day and Im always booked for 2 weeks. All my business is from referrals. I currently have a buyer for my business because I can make twice as much and work half as hard popping out door dings. Right now I make an average of $150.00 a car taking out dents and it take me less then 20 minutes.

dmontzsta
08-28-2006, 06:11 PM
She does, I was going to use some rubbing compound and get that shit out, but I did enough.
yeah. I found it not worth it to rub it all out. It actually takes a while. I used sand paper and kept working it down to a finer grade, it took a long time. I said F*** it and bought some new ones for $100.
http://www.dmontzsta.com/1999MustangGT/images/100_5760.jpg
I am thinking of buying some of the 02-04 smoked headlights, I am starting to dig on those.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-28-2006, 06:12 PM
No problem bro, it is not my first job anyway. I do it, because believe it or not, I enjoy it and it takes my mind of everything else. I also take pride on the finish product when I get done and see how good the cars look. I love cars, and I like making them look better, but lets see what Socal has to say, if I have the time, I would like to help as well as check out the cars.
We charge about $220 for a complete detail wash-clay-high speed polish-teflon sealant-interior shampoo-fabric guard(scotchguard) and leather condtioning about 4 hours each job. Thats the going rate these days, and I never have any complaints on the price. I always say you can drop it off at the car wash and for $20 bucks less ($199) have those hacks f**k up your paint. I have been doing this since I was 16 now I'm 35 thats 19 years of experience I have detailed everyone from Elvis's 71 Lincoln to cars from Overhaulin. I was hired by GM to train guys in detailing. I enjoy doing it, after this many years it's like walking to me. Those 26 vettes would need to be done in the AM and in a week or two span. I have a few people lined up that I can use, but might need more. Right now I am just waiting on the logistics part of it. But I will keep you guys posted. Mark

VanDeano
08-28-2006, 06:13 PM
By the way, here are the products I use.
Zaino (http://www.zainostore.com/)
That's the trick Zaino. That is what made me grow, that product is amazing specialy on black.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-28-2006, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=dmontzsta]yeah. I found it not worth it to rub it all out. It actually takes a while. I used sand paper and kept working it down to a finer grade, it took a long time. I said F*** it and bought some new ones for $100.
http://www.dmontzsta.com/1999MustangGT/images/100_5760.jpg
Compound+Highspeed buffer+15 minutes= brand new ones. I bought a set of 2005 rear lights for my 2000 silverado off ebay all scratched up for $30 bucks buffed them and saved me $170.

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 06:57 PM
We charge about $220 for a complete detail wash-clay-high speed polish-teflon sealant-interior shampoo-fabric guard(scotchguard) and leather condtioning about 4 hours each job. Thats the going rate these days, and I never have any complaints on the price. I always say you can drop it off at the car wash and for $20 bucks less ($199) have those hacks f**k up your paint. I have been doing this since I was 16 now I'm 35 thats 19 years of experience I have detailed everyone from Elvis's 71 Lincoln to cars from Overhaulin. I was hired by GM to train guys in detailing. I enjoy doing it, after this many years it's like walking to me. Those 26 vettes would need to be done in the AM and in a week or two span. I have a few people lined up that I can use, but might need more. Right now I am just waiting on the logistics part of it. But I will keep you guys posted. Mark
Is that $220.00 for any size vehicle? I can only help out if it is a weekend so that might leave me out.

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 06:58 PM
I charge $250.00 to clay and full detail and do an average of 3 cars a day and Im always booked for 2 weeks. All my business is from referrals. I currently have a buyer for my business because I can make twice as much and work half as hard popping out door dings. Right now I make an average of $150.00 a car taking out dents and it take me less then 20 minutes.
What do you charge to remove door dings, I have a couple on my wifes car I might want taken out.

Riverat84
08-28-2006, 08:00 PM
WOW! that is funny how im learning so much, even though ive been doing this since my childhood...the only reason that i keep detailing cars, is i love giving myself the challenge of seeing how pimp i can make them...seeing how good i can make them look compared to what they were when they drove onto my driveway....i'd be happy to help you, just let me know if you need me and how much you can pay out for me...i usually take up to 4 hours on one suburban when it comes to detailing it....(minor claybar included)....i've been doing this since i could reach the roof of my parents clean '89 suburban, and im 22 next week, so yeah you could say i dont mind the work when it comes to the payout after.
Reid

Riverat84
08-28-2006, 08:06 PM
ive been giving this a complete detail since i was 14, original paint....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3267P1010454.JPG
thing is, ive been wanting to re do the whole thing w/ white paint on the roof, and black all the way down w/ new trim, instead of the grey rocker panels....i use nano wax on this one...its great for dark paints, but a BITCH to buff off, even w/ multiple micro fiber rags...a PAIN! hehe
Reid

Parker Dreamin
08-28-2006, 08:42 PM
If you were in Belmont shore... Offshore Stereo (think it still goes by that name) sucks big ass and they charge way to much. They burnt the hell out of my moms caddie years ago... YUK, horrible work.

TUNNEL T
08-28-2006, 08:45 PM
i sure hope you took that thing out for a hell rip and burnt off another 250$ in tires cuz i know how much time that had to take!!!TUNNEL T

SOCALDETAIL1
08-28-2006, 08:57 PM
If you were in Belmont shore... Offshore Stereo (think it still goes by that name) sucks big ass and they charge way to much. They burnt the hell out of my moms caddie years ago... YUK, horrible work.
Yea they are hacks I always have their guys calling me for jobs.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Is that $220.00 for any size vehicle? I can only help out if it is a weekend so that might leave me out.
$220 or cars a little more for trucks.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Drop me a PM I am currently looking for a dent guy, The guy I was using put a cap on his traveling like 30 miles, that does me no good. Mark

lalhc
08-28-2006, 09:09 PM
This is exactly why I like to wash and detail my cars - It's my way of relaxing :)
I have never taken the cars I own now to a car wash.

Jyruiz
08-28-2006, 09:11 PM
I don't know the name of the place, I just know it is on 2nd stree, I asked the only guy that spoke English and he said it was $185.00. There was some high dollar cars there though, I feel sorry for them now if that is the same place you are talking about.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-28-2006, 10:02 PM
I don't know the name of the place, I just know it is on 2nd stree, I asked the only guy that spoke English and he said it was $185.00. There was some high dollar cars there though, I feel sorry for them now if that is the same place you are talking about.
Yup it's on 2nd street. really packed all the time I think it's across from Panama Jacks? This is one of my regular cars I prep before shows it's a Chevelle from Overhaulin and the Mothers Powerball commercial.

BigDoug
08-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Boy, all this sounds like a lot of hard work. :)

SOCALDETAIL1
08-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Boy, all this sounds like a lot of hard work. :)
LMAO Doug. Hey when ya going to San Diego?

BigDoug
08-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Mark, just got back this morning. :)

SOCALDETAIL1
08-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Mark, just got back this morning. :)
I will call you this week. Mark

lawbreaker2
08-29-2006, 06:02 AM
Can you pop this dent out, A bodyshop gave me a price of $900 to fix it.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/lawbreaker2/HPIM0819.jpg

lawbreaker2
08-29-2006, 06:03 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/lawbreaker2/HPIM0821.jpg

catman-do
08-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Not sure if anyone posted anything about this. But for the headlights i saw a thing on "Car Crazy" that Meguires makes a compound designed to take the haze out of plastic lenses. You put it on with a buffing ball conected to a drill.

THOR
08-29-2006, 08:13 AM
where can I pick up some claybar stuff? I need to do the wife's rig.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Here are some more of that Chevelle. Those are Foose one off wheels only set of those in the world.

Jyruiz
08-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Here are some more of that Chevelle. Those are Foose one off wheels only set of those in the world.
Dam* nice bro.

Hustler
08-29-2006, 10:05 AM
OK you detail guys tell me this. I have a black Harley and every time I detail it in the garage under flourecent light I have very fine scratches that I can see but they dont show as bad or if at all in sun. Is there anything that will take care of these?

SOCALDETAIL1
08-29-2006, 10:12 AM
OK you detail guys tell me this. I have a black Harley and every time I detail it in the garage under flourecent light I have very fine scratches that I can see but they dont show as bad or if at all in sun. Is there anything that will take care of these?
Flourecent light and natural light are totally different. You see things in flourecent light you wouldn't in natural light. Sounds like what we call spiderwebs (towel scratches) I would use 3m finesseII or III that takes off fine like 1500-2000 scratches. followed up by a good wax. Remember to use a microfiber towel. And foam buffing pad (finishing pad) nice and soft.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Dam* nice bro.
Yea I love doing that car. They try to send it over to Mothers (to get detailed) before it goes out on the road with Foose, But it always gets sent back to me (they dont do that great of a job)

Hustler
08-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Flourecent light and natural light are totally different. You see things in flourecent light you wouldn't in natural light. Sounds like what we call spiderwebs (towel scratches) I would use 3m finesseII or III that takes off fine like 1500-2000 scratches. followed up by a good wax. Remember to use a microfiber towel. And foam buffing pad (finishing pad) nice and soft.
Should I use the foam pad with the 3m and wax and just use the mirofiber for removal?
I use the microfiber on pretty much every thing.

THOR
08-29-2006, 01:10 PM
where can I pick up some claybar stuff? I need to do the wife's rig.
Ahem........

Hustler
08-29-2006, 01:14 PM
You can pick up the Meguires stuff at auto zone. I used it on my wifes car and it turned out great.

BigDoug
08-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Joe, to answer your question..............yes :)

SOCALDETAIL1
08-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Should I use the foam pad with the 3m and wax and just use the mirofiber for removal?
I use the microfiber on pretty much every thing.
Thanks Doug, Joe yes

SOCALDETAIL1
08-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Ahem........
That is pretty much over the counter stuff. I get mine from a ditributor, let me know if you need one, Im in HB once a week. Mark

lucky
08-29-2006, 01:52 PM
can ya still get liquid eboney - I miss that shit

SOCALDETAIL1
08-29-2006, 02:03 PM
can ya still get liquid eboney - I miss that shit
Who makes it?? The best stuff for black cars I have ever used is Productions Midnight Special, but it has kerosine in it,

THOR
08-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks

SOCALDETAIL1
08-29-2006, 03:25 PM
$150 and upped the value probably $1500!
Yup people don't realize that, Thats why all used cars at a dealership are all detailed and look new. You get the money back on the sale, plus you sell the unit if it's a boat car or rv way faster then if it wasn't detailed. I know when I buy pre-owned I would rather buy something that looks like they babied it then something that looks like they sh*t in it.

dicudmore
08-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Can you pop this dent out, A bodyshop gave me a price of $900 to fix it.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/lawbreaker2/HPIM0819.jpg
lol not just no, but hell no :wink: