PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get more power out of my 502mpi????

I DIG IT !
08-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Ok, heres a chance for anybody to give me some advice on whats the best way to get more power out of my stock 502mpi. Procharge? Supercharge? Whats the best way and still get a good life out of the moter?? I all ready have 300+ hours and I dont know if I need to ring and bearing berfore or, if I can still start from here. Also dont know if I need new exhaust to do so??

shadow
08-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Ok, heres a chance for anybody to give me some advice on whats the best way to get more power out of my stock 502mpi. Procharge? Supercharge? Whats the best way and still get a good life out of the moter?? I all ready have 300+ hours and I dont know if I need to ring and bearing berfore or, if I can still start from here. Also dont know if I need new exhaust to do so??
Take it to the Lake Havasu city council meeting and have the board members pray for it. :D

I DIG IT !
08-29-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm going to take a trip to havi in a few weeks but it sounds like things are getting a little lame down there?? What aim I going to do when I dont go there much and I dont know all the lame rules.

shadow
08-29-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm going to take a trip to havi in a few weeks but it sounds like things are getting a little lame down there?? What aim I going to do when I dont go there much and I dont know all the lame rules.
Don't worry,I live here and am on the water almost every weekend.So far not much has changed,Police have stepped it up a bit.
Thats what everyone asked for and thats what they got.As far as everyday boating and around the lake not much to worry about.

Kilrtoy
08-29-2006, 09:30 PM
Take it to the Lake Havasu city council meeting and have the board members pray for it. :D
You are in the wrong post heathen

shadow
08-29-2006, 09:31 PM
You are in the wrong post heathen
I was avoiding that post on purpose. :)

Kilrtoy
08-29-2006, 09:33 PM
I was avoiding that post on purpose. :)
Get in there and do battle against the forces of evil!!!!! LOL

Havasu1986
08-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Shadow
Will you be in the channel this weekend. Bringing the dogs down in the golf cart again. I 'm praying you will be there with plenty of Coors Lite. :crossx: I will bring my own offering.

shadow
08-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Shadow
Will you be in the channel this weekend. Bringing the dogs down in the golf cart again. I 'm praying you will be there with plenty of Coors Lite. :crossx: I will bring my own offering.
See prayer works! Thats one prayer that WILL be answered. :)

shadow
08-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Get in there and do battle against the forces of evil!!!!! LOL
:devil:

BajaMike
08-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Nobody even tried to answer "I Dig It"s question.... :idea:
Ok, I'll pray for his motor too..... :rollside:

Havasu1986
08-29-2006, 09:44 PM
See prayer works! Thats one prayer that WILL be answered. :)
Hallejuhah. Can I get a Amen for brother Darrell

Tom Brown
08-29-2006, 09:45 PM
What aim I going to do when I dont go there much and I dont know all the lame rules.
They people on staff who's job it is to remind you of the rules.

Kilrtoy
08-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Hallejuhah. Can I get a Amen for brother Darrell
No, but can I get a beer

Kilrtoy
08-29-2006, 10:06 PM
300 hours may need some work on the lower and up end, before you turbo, blow, supercharge the motor. i would call an expert motor builder and ask them

BOOGEYMAN
08-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Nice to see another thread off track........ :rolleyes:
I dig it, go with the intercooled M-1 procharger set up!! I can get you a kit for a great price and we could install it at your shop in one night and be one the water testing the next. On mikes 24 with the 454 they go from a 23 pitch 3 blade to a 28 pitch 4 blade and went from 66 on the gps to 81!! That is at 5 psi and 5,000 rpm, hard to really hurt anything with a set up like that.
You wouldnt need to rig or bearing your 502 for this set up..I would imagine you would see the same gains on your boat as the 24 would. Call me if you are interested and I will make a few calls and get you a price on a kit.
Later buddy,
Travis.
p.s. thanks again for saving our drunk asses the other night!!!! :D

cdog
08-29-2006, 10:08 PM
I'd pull the 502 and replace it with a low hour HP 500efi. Sell the 502 and use that money to hop up the 500.

kevnmcd
08-30-2006, 07:07 AM
Use one of these (http://www.crockettmarineengines.com/products.html) kits and you will have more hp than the HP500 with a lot less work. I rebuilt mine last winter and add this kit. Very pleased with the results.

sigepmock
08-30-2006, 07:23 AM
I know these guys make some pretty good stuff.
Whipple (http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/products.asp?CatID=47&DisplayCat=1)
I've dealt with them on automotive stuff and been very happy. Tons of power, great reliability, and excellent customer service.
I haven't heard great things about the procharger but I think the key to any supercharger or turbo motor is the set-up. Find a good reputable shop that stands behind their work.
Good luck,
Chris

ECeptor
08-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Pull the engine from the boat. Have a reputable builder freshen up the bottom end. Put on AFR or Canfield aluminum heads, properly sized roller cam, have the EFI re-mapped, bolt on good header exhaust system and have a super reliable 600hp naturally aspirated engine.

BOOGEYMAN
08-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Pull the engine from the boat. Have a reputable builder freshen up the bottom end. Put on AFR or Canfield aluminum heads, properly sized roller cam, have the EFI re-mapped, bolt on good header exhaust system and have a super reliable 600hp naturally aspirated engine.
So you you spend 10k you could have 600hp....... :)

Beer-30
08-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Hey, I DIG IT: Getting your thread back on course, here is a nice thread from the past.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98928
I wouldn't be afraid, at all, of doing something to your motor right now. There is no reason a well-taken-car-of forged big block shouldn't go AT LEAST 1000 hrs in a boat. A car motor will easily go 3 or 4000, so given the extra constant load, 1000 should still be a minium.
Do a compression and leak down. Worse case scenario would be some valve issues, as boats are hard on the valvetrain. Most likely you would be doing headwork or replacing them, so that would be a moot point. The 502 bottom end is pretty stout, so I wouldn't worry.
There was another of Kevnmcd's threads that has alot of info - prior to his rebuild. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Beer-30
08-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Here is the preceeding thread that lead to Kevnmcd's rebuild. Lots of good stuff here:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95385

I DIG IT !
08-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Wow thanks Beer-30 both of the threads were very helpful!!! I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row for the winter project. I't seams that you know a little about the subject. Thanks again for all the Info :)