PDA

View Full Version : Question for the dog lovers

BshyBvrGirl
08-30-2006, 05:39 AM
I had to take my pooch into the vet this morning because she broke out with another "hot spot" on her neck. They're running some tests to see if it's something more serious, but usually these things are just caused by humidity (or so I was told by the vet I saw while on vacation)...as it's a skin infection that kind of looks like a burst boil or blister. We just got done with 15 days of antiobotics and cortisone spray about a month ago. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this issues and how you dealt with it?

breezeblocker
08-30-2006, 05:46 AM
our dog has one too. we are going to the vet tomorrow. what kind of treatment do they get? is there anything i can do myself? thanks ,brett

Run_em_Hard
08-30-2006, 05:47 AM
Let me get with the wife real quick and I will let you know...

Wet Dream
08-30-2006, 05:50 AM
My old dog used to get them quite often. Now the 3 year old lab is getting something similar. The vet is saying its an allergic reaction to fleas and to give the dog Benadryl. The golden doesn't have anything wrong, and she has a longer coat. Back to the lab...I'll bump my post from last night. UGH!!

Warlockjer
08-30-2006, 06:11 AM
Our little dog used to get the quite often. The vet would shave them off and give us some medication. This went on for awhle and she no longer gets them.

XTRM22
08-30-2006, 06:38 AM
My chowmix (gone a year now and still missing her) got hot spots a few times and the vet determine it was a food allergy. My dogs often get a little of the left overs on their food the next day for flavor, and we determine Osita was allergic to processed pork, ham bacon stuff like that.
Chuck

Tremor Girl
08-30-2006, 06:44 AM
What are you feeding your dog? If it's a food with any by-products or wheat products i.e. Science diet, purina, pedigree, etc. those can cause skin problems. Try switching to a natural dog food with no by-products or wheat. 75% of the time it's food related. Try using fish oil in their food. It's really good for their coat and system.

BshyBvrGirl
08-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I may try switching her food. We're back on antibiotics 3 times a day for 10 days and cortisone sprays 4 times a day.
I have a lab/chow mix...just wondering if its a common problem for those breeds.

Ziggy
08-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I may try switching her food. We're back on antibiotics 3 times a day for 10 days and cortisone sprays 4 times a day.
I have a lab/chow mix...just wondering if its a common problem for those breeds.
Our Lab/Chow used to get them a lot. Antibiotics, topical solutions and the famous RCA cone on his head where regular events.
He seems to have not many in the last year or two.....diet may have been part of it.

topless
08-30-2006, 07:58 AM
I've had 2 dogs that got them. They put my Rottweiler on cortizone pills and that worked. It was from flea allergy I was told. My dogs now are on Frontline and have no fleas so no problem.

lakewake
08-30-2006, 10:52 AM
That used to happen to my German Sheppard years ago. After all the Cortizon,antibiotics etc. we took her to an Indian Vet. He was an "All Natural" approach vet. Sure enough he fixed it by adding fat back into her diet and garlic. He said to add chicken skin,beef fat from ground beef and things like that ,just enough to coat the dry dog food not puddle up. Also the garlic built up a tollerance to flea bites. The farting was unbearable. Christ she could clear a house with one fart.I would go with the cod liver or fish oils as previously mentioned. Good luck.

DesertGirl
08-30-2006, 11:27 AM
My old lab/pit mix had them. I was told it was allergies. I gave her benadryl and bathed her in some type of oatmeal shampoo that soothes the skin. Worked great.

The Jerk
08-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I had to take my pooch into the vet this morning because she broke out with another "hot spot" on her neck. They're running some tests to see if it's something more serious, but usually these things are just caused by humidity (or so I was told by the vet I saw while on vacation)...as it's a skin infection that kind of looks like a burst boil or blister. We just got done with 15 days of antiobotics and cortisone spray about a month ago. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this issues and how you dealt with it?
YESSSSSSSSS
exact same issue with my 8 month old lab. right behind left ear. (i have a pic at home) we got a bad 2 week heat spike here 110 and up..... when it started. thought it was fleas so i frontlined her up and no go. so i shaved the area really well to aid the cleaning. gave her benadryl twice a day to help the itch. cleaned everything she is around. used a cleaning solution for animal wounds i got at teh local feed store. 2 weeks later shes is good as new and back to eating normal etc.....

BshyBvrGirl
08-30-2006, 03:49 PM
I think I'll try the benedryl thing once she comes off her antibiotics. Somebody at work told me that too.
I was starting to think it was me, like I was a bad pet owner. Good to know it's a pretty common problem and that I just need to be step ahead of the game.

kingcole80
08-30-2006, 04:01 PM
my dog, a leopard hound had a allergy to fleas the poor dog lost all the hair almost from head to toe, was bleeding he looked like the dog from resident evil, i think it was called sarcoptic mange but it had to do with fleas, my shephard has a food allergy and gets hot spots so she is on a no meat diet

W.O.T
08-30-2006, 04:38 PM
dogs develop food allergys at about one to two years of age. my basset hound was broken out and red everywhere losing hair and smelt pretty bad. i spent big bucks taking him places getting cortizone and antibiotics. they are a temporary solution to most problems. the real problem my dog was having was food allergies like alot of other peoples dogs have on here. be careful which vets you go to they will sell you stuff all day keep you coming back but im lucky i found an honest vet. my dog couldnt be healthier. he is on a special food called IVD rabbit. its rabbit and potato. ive tried duck meal and that made him worse. your dog may be under alot of stress with a skin condition and be very moody. this can actually kill a dog. even high quality store bought foods will not solve the problem for most. i hope this helps. my best advice would be to try the best vet you can stay away from the fancy petshop vets they usually know less than a real veternarian. heres a pic of my dog after conquering his allergie problem. the food is not cheap either but cheaper than vet bills.
http://myspace-062.vo.llnwd.net/00978/26/04/978404062_l.jpg

W.O.T
08-30-2006, 04:44 PM
heres some info on food allergies
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/food_allergies.html

BshyBvrGirl
08-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the link! It has some good info on there. I will definitely look more into the whole food allergy thing.

W.O.T
08-30-2006, 07:20 PM
no problem good luck with your pooch. i hope that its an easy fix for you and your dog. it usually takes a week or so to see any reaction to the food. kind of a trial and error thing. let me know how it goes. also do not give the dog any food scraps at all while trying a new diet. even one piece of food can throw him off. i used to feed my dog stuff now and then but now hes used to me not giving him anything.