PDA

View Full Version : north SD to havasu thru occotillo wells??

riverroyal
08-30-2006, 04:29 PM
anyone go this way,over palomar mtn,lake henshaw,occotillo wells,brawley,glamis,blithe then to erinburg????I may try it friday,to avoid temecula.It looks like 270 miles from carlsbad area,close to the same as every other way I go,,,,anyone,anyone? :rollside:

Dezertrider
08-30-2006, 04:44 PM
We go to ocotillo every other weekend, during riding season. It's an okay drive, 2 lane hwy, some hills. Can be rough towing a heavy load, but with a boat it shouldn't be bad. Fridays from 4-6, you'll hit a little traffic off the 5 thru the 78, not too bad though.

Ziggy
08-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Not the most efficient way to go from our locale Mr Royal.........
Have you taken the 79s, 371,74 10 route??? Thats my way to avoid all the Beaumont/Banning bouncing.
Main question would be if you're towing anything? IF not thru Ocotillo may be ok.....consider hitting 86n and catch the 10 in Indio vs thru glamis/blythe :idea:

TOBTEK
08-30-2006, 05:09 PM
I WOULD RATHER USE THESE
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/135wmi_tweezers_xl.jpg
AND END UP LIKE THIS
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/135steves.jpg
THAN DRIVE OVER PAL mountain, through lake Hensaw, hang a right go down the twisty roller coaster road with F-ing cows crossing over the road. Hang a left though the canyon were I saw a dude on a crotch rocket die after he over shot a corner. pop into ROCK-A-TEA-AH than maybe over through Indio or the springs......
on second thought..... you should do this route and report back Tuesday :)
Take Ziggy's advise.... its the best way from NC

bruddah
08-30-2006, 05:18 PM
ya definately not the most efficient but it works. usually go the same route as mentiond and am in the same area as you.

riverroyal
08-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Not the most efficient way to go from our locale Mr Royal.........
Have you taken the 79s, 371,74 10 route??? Thats my way to avoid all the Beaumont/Banning bouncing.
Main question would be if you're towing anything? IF not thru Ocotillo may be ok.....consider hitting 86n and catch the 10 in Indio vs thru glamis/blythe :idea:
just like you zig,I was just looking at another option,friday traffic.Im not towing anything.....TOB,anyway I go is better than you,your not goin!!!!!!!talk the wife into it,im not hung over anymore

squirt'nmyload
08-30-2006, 05:38 PM
anyone go this way,over palomar mtn,lake henshaw,occotillo wells,brawley,glamis,blithe then to erinburg????I may try it friday,to avoid temecula.It looks like 270 miles from carlsbad area,close to the same as every other way I go,,,,anyone,anyone? :rollside:
that would be a tease driving through the dunes.....the seasons coming!!!!

riverroyal
08-30-2006, 05:39 PM
that would be a tease driving through the dunes.....the seasons coming!!!!
yfz 450?how bout a raptor 350,both 05 :rollside:

Ziggy
08-30-2006, 05:39 PM
just like you zig,I was just looking at another option,friday traffic.Im not towing anything.....TOB,anyway I go is better than you,your not goin!!!!!!!talk the wife into it,im not hung over anymore
I can rip thru that route in the truck and leave most behind.......My brother following in a Beemer couldn't believe it...LOL
I know, as probably you do, every turn, dip, bump or outcropping there is... :p
Drive safe bro and stay away from the twice a year revelers on the lake...

riverroyal
08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
I can rip thru that route in the truck and leave most behind.......My brother following in a Beemer couldn't believe it...LOL
I know, as probably you do, every turn, dip, bump or outcropping there is... :p
Drive safe bro and stay away from the twice a year revelers on the lake...
Im usually pushing someone down that hill in my truck also

squirt'nmyload
08-30-2006, 05:47 PM
yfz 450?how bout a raptor 350,both 05 :rollside:
already got a yfz450 but i'll spread the word in phx for you.

SummitKarl
08-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Im usually pushing someone down that hill in my truck also
ever pull the down hill INSIDE pass just after the view stop :devil: , horn blairing, BFG's squeelin, left butt cheek on the arm rest, kids and dogs plastered against the window like Garfield :rolleyes:

TOBTEK
08-30-2006, 07:25 PM
just ran it by her again....looks like me and the garage have a HOT date. Will be hanging some HY-LOFTS...neato :cool:

CBadDad
08-30-2006, 07:49 PM
I've taken the 78 all of the way to the river and once you get past Glamis, it is slow and twisty double yellow lines most of the way. If you get behind one illegal in a beater just putting along (and you will) you are focked and you'll wish that you were sitting in Temecula traffic. Not to mention that by the time you're on that section of the road it'll be 4 hours into your drive.
Think about it and have a safe/fun weekend.

CBadDad
08-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Oh ya, don't forget Sept 1st (Friday) is the Dove Opener and you're likely to run into a bunch of drunk rednecks with shotguns out there in them parts.
"He sure has a purty mouth, huh Floyd?"