PDA

View Full Version : Amyone let the kids ride in the 5th Wheel while underway?

Trailer Park Casanova
08-30-2006, 04:43 PM
It's legal.
Was wondering how many do that and your takes on it.
Is the family choaking on diesel fumes and bouncing around,, or is it an ok way to haul the family?
If I had RD and Badblown Danny back there I think the meaness in me might cause a few bumpy detours though.
Anyone haul the kids back there?

Debbolas
08-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Not a 5th wheel, but I would ride in the back of our camper and Scream would drive. The kids liked it back there, bathroom, kitchen, tv....:D

squirt'nmyload
08-30-2006, 04:54 PM
i've done it before but only once...i had a wierd feeling the whole time back there....it's not like a motorhome, will never do it again

Ziggy
08-30-2006, 05:12 PM
I will let my daughter ride in the slide-in camper many times, but usually on roads I feel comfortable. Although I do not allow her to be in the top bunk while under way.
Trailers attached within the truckbed(5th/Goose) is legal, trailers on hitches not legal....

bruddah
08-30-2006, 05:12 PM
ya used to do it alot in a friends fifth wheel as a kid. his mom would radio us liek every 15-20 min to make sure we were ok and nothing was broken. its a little different but definately kina fun as a kid.

riverroyal
08-30-2006, 05:32 PM
but if someone else wants to drive,I will ride in the back and watch a movie,have a sandwich and a beer

Screemy1
08-30-2006, 07:23 PM
but if someone else wants to drive,I will ride in the back and watch a movie,have a sandwich and a beer
I did it when I was younger... fun fun, if a crash is bad... you never know.... hmmm.... never really thought about the crash survival of the trailer.... seems like it would crumple pretty good???
Hey riverroyal... I had to quote your because you Avtar rocks.... I NEED MORE COW BELL!!!!! MORE OF THAT DAMB COW BELL!!!!!!!! :cool:

Chromegorilla
08-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Letting your kids ride in a 5th wheel or any type of trailer is nuttin short of child endangerment IMO. Are you kidding me?!!?! Have your ever seen trailer in a bad accident.... they friggin dissintegrate! Thin aluminum or fiberglass walls......
I wouldn't do it, let alone my kids.....

Danhercules
08-30-2006, 08:44 PM
It's legal.
Was wondering how many do that and your takes on it.
Your right, BUT...................
You need hard wired communication. Like an intercom. Radios are a no go. No CB. hardwired.
I drive slow with the trailer, I think I would let my kids ride back there. Then again, I dont have kids yet! LOL

Trailer Park Casanova
08-31-2006, 02:35 AM
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/album282/100_1069.jpg
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/album282/100_1070.jpg
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/album282/I17b.sized.jpg
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/album282/I17a.sized.jpg
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/album282/100_1068.jpg

topless
08-31-2006, 02:47 AM
Been there and done that. In high school, my best friend and i used to put our little sisters in the back of her El Camino and race over speed bumps. (they didn't like us very much)

robsformula
08-31-2006, 07:11 AM
I did it with a good friend of mine when we were 16 or 17 and her parents were driving. Great times while on the road learded how to drive there daughter real good while going down the highway. :crossx: We are married now and laugh all the time about those times in the 5th wheel. Would never consider it with my daughters......

stoker
08-31-2006, 08:42 AM
I used to let my ex-wife ride in ours, unfortuatley, nothing ever happened. :mad:

Wet Dream
08-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Your right, BUT...................
You need hard wired communication. Like an intercom. Radios are a no go. No CB. hardwired.
I drive slow with the trailer, I think I would let my kids ride back there. Then again, I dont have kids yet! LOL
Dan got it completely right. Yes, its legal, and you must have communication.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-31-2006, 09:03 AM
After seeing those pics I have changed my mind! I am sure the people inside the cabs with belts on were pretty much fine!

Singleton
08-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Did it once and will never do it again.
We got rear-ended and it was not good, got shifted around really good and my buddy broke his arm. Not the best way to start off a weekend.
Maybe for a short drive on a raod I feel OK with, but nothing longer then an hour.

Captain Dan
08-31-2006, 09:14 AM
After seeing those pics I have changed my mind! I am sure the people inside the cabs with belts on were pretty much fine!
Not that it changes the severity of the issue, but those pix are not of a 5th wheel, it is a travel trailer. If it were a 5th wheel, it may have even been worse, the truck may have flipped as well.
No passengers in a trailer or 5th wheel for me either, it's bad enough out there buckled up in the truck.

Dave C
08-31-2006, 09:34 AM
classic! :crossx:
I used to let my ex-wife ride in ours, unfortuatley, nothing ever happened. :mad:

Infomaniac
08-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Yea I think it's more a matter of the kids not strapped in that would worry me.
But I would invite the mother in law to ride in ours. :crossx:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-31-2006, 10:38 AM
When I was a kid, my parents got side swiped by a semi while towing our trailer which caused the trailer and truck to flip. Totalled the trailer. No way in hell would I ever ride or let anyone ride in the trailer.
But thats just me. :rollside:

riverbound
08-31-2006, 10:42 AM
I dont think I would ever have anyone in our trailer while driving, we even have the hardwired intercom. I have had two incidents where the trialer has bounced around enough, once to where the Rhino came unhooked and slammed into the wall, and a time when one of the harleys came unhooked and fell over into the other one. Plus there ar eno seatbelts in the trailer anywhere, and those pics of the accident just add to why I never would.

Biglue
08-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Even if it's legal I would not let the kids ride in a trailer. A couple years ago on the 40 there was an overturned toy hauler.....completely demolished. Truck had been flipped with the cab almost flat. I don't think the trailers offer vey much as far as safety. Not worth the off chance IMO.

topless
08-31-2006, 10:45 AM
One of my best friends kids were riding in one and got hit by a semi. His oldest daughter lost her leg because of it.

Wheeler
08-31-2006, 11:33 AM
One of my best friends kids were riding in one and got hit by a semi. His oldest daughter lost her leg because of it.
Only my mother in law, is allowed to ride in back..

Benjhamina
08-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Havn't you ever seen that I love Lucy episode where she rides in the airstream while Ricky is driving??? I don't have to tell you that it turned into a disaster. I would say NO WAY. Unless you want to be washing broken eggs out of your kids hair........

IndyEuphoria
08-31-2006, 11:48 AM
My ex mother in law can ride in the front...it's the ex that gets to ride in the back, on the 40 and all...