PDA

View Full Version : Is there a mooring time limit?

Classic Daycruiser
08-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Is there a mooring time limit in the channel? Can you park your boat and leave it there all weekend without moving it???

havasu gambler
08-31-2006, 11:41 AM
Channel mooring rules are explained
By BRIAN DiTULLIO
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 10:51 PM MDT
If there's no available mooring post in the Bridgewater Channel this weekend, don't stop, just keep on moving.
On Wednesday, City Manager Richard Kaffenberger clarified the new “no mooring” signs and the new ordinance City Council introduced Tuesday night to back up the signage.
“Those are operative signs,” said Kaffenberger, meaning the “Mooring at tie downs only. One vessel per tie down,” signs erected in the south channel this past week will be enforced.
City code states the city manager may designate areas of the channel as “no mooring” areas, and to direct staff to post signs restricting allowable tie up areas without adopting further laws.
However, City Council approved the introduction of an ordinance Tuesday night that backs up the language on the signs by a vote of 4-3.
Kaffenberger said that ordinance still needs to be officially adopted, which should happen at the next regular City Council meeting, and that the ordinance would not take effect until 30 days after its adoption, and is officially posted, meaning the ordinance would not take effect until some time in October.
Kaffenberger said it doesn't change anything for the coming Labor Day holiday weekend since the current city codes and ordinances already allow him to put in the restrictions. He also added that should anyone try and moor their boat in violation of the signs, they would be asked to leave the area or be cited.
Kaffenberger said the ordinance, as introduced Tuesday, wasn't really needed.
The amended ordinance states that unless a watercraft is moored to a designated mooring post, no boater may moor, park, anchor, or leave their watercraft standing within 25 feet of the east side of the channel.
“We don't need anymore ordinances,” said Kaffenberger. “We can do signs, and I thought that was the way we were going.”
When asked, Kaffenberger agreed that all the ordinance really might do is put more “teeth” behind the signage.
Certain parts of the channel have been designated “no mooring anytime,” but that only is on Saturday and Sunday.

Tom Brown
08-31-2006, 11:46 AM
OK... so you pull in, tie off.... and then some jack hole pulls in next to you and ties to the same mooring. Are both ticketed?

RitcheyRch
08-31-2006, 11:48 AM
I was wondering the same thing. How do you prove you were there first?
OK... so you pull in, tie off.... and then some jack hole pulls in next to you and ties to the same mooring. Are both ticketed?

SummitKarl
08-31-2006, 11:50 AM
The sober guy with the family gets the ticket, The drunk Jackhole gets to stay, because the cops know another lewdness ticket is only seconds away :rollside:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Is there a mooring time limit in the channel? Can you park your boat and leave it there all weekend without moving it???
No overnight mooring is allowed. Fine is ~$500.

uvindex
08-31-2006, 12:50 PM
No overnight mooring is allowed. Fine is ~$500.Yep. I got TWO tickets for that over a three-day weekend once (the officer tucked the first ticket away under some stuff so I didn't notice it, or the second one, until I moved my boat on Monday morning).
I appeared in court and had a reasonable story so the judge dismissed the fine. :)

Classic Daycruiser
08-31-2006, 01:29 PM
so it looks like I can drop in mine tonight and leave it there all weekend.