PDA

View Full Version : David Wells traded to the Padres

CBadDad
08-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Wells traded to San Diego Padres (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5922812)
David Wells is going home — again.
The Padres won the last-minute sweepstakes for Wells, acquiring the veteran left-hander from the Red Sox on Thursday in exchange for a player to be named or cash. The player is Class AAA catcher George Kottaras, FOXSports.com has confirmed.
The trade, completed just hours before the deadline for setting postseason rosters, gives the Padres a proven big-game pitcher at a time when they are competing for both the NL West title and wild card.
The Padres hope veteran hurler David Wells can help lead them into the postseason. (Jim McIsaac / Getty Images)
The Dodgers, leading the West by three games, refused to part with one of three top position prospects for Wells, 43, resisting the Red Sox's demands for outfielder Matt Kemp, third baseman Andy LaRoche or first baseman James Loney.
A third team, most likely the Cardinals or Reds, also made a late bid for Wells. But the Padres and Dodgers were the only true contenders; Wells reserved the option of retiring if the Red Sox did not honor his wish to be sent to the west coast.
Kottaras, 23, was the most advanced catching prospect in the Padres' system. Rival scouts consider him a promising offensive player but question his defense, particularly his throwing. Kottaras, at 6-feet and 190 pounds, also might be too small to handle an everyday load at catcher.
Wells, a native of San Diego, pitched for the Padres in 2004, then signed with the Red Sox as a free agent after that season. He spent two months on the disabled list with right knee soreness earlier this season but was 2-2 with a 2.65 ERA in five August starts.
If Wells stays healthy, he will bring vast postseason experience to a rotation that already includes right-handers Jake Peavy and Woody Williams and left-hander Chris Young. In 26 career postseason appearances — 16 starts — Wells is 10-4 with a 3.15 ERA.
Ken Rosenthal is FOXSports.com's senior baseball writer.

Tom Brown
08-31-2006, 08:39 PM
I remember when he played for the Blue Jays. He must be getting up there in years.

CornWater
08-31-2006, 08:43 PM
great another puss throwing old man on the roster, a la' trevor hoffman ..... that should get them over the hump :cry: :rollside:
Kinda like Maddux???
:rolleyes:

ROZ
08-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Cool.. Maybe he'll be throwing down in the ob establishments again :D

HavasuSelect
09-01-2006, 06:08 AM
Were getting down to the wire. Only about 28 games left. This move will def. make the race a bit more interesting. The Padres have by far the toughest schedule in these last games. They've got 6 with Cincinatti. Frisco for 3. 6 Vs. D-Backs. 3 Vs. St. Louis. Not to mention 3 with the Dodgers. As you can see the Padres have a loooonnnnggg road ahead of them.

CBadDad
09-01-2006, 06:40 AM
ya but maddux is healthy, filthy and is a hall of famer :crossx: ????? boomer is unhealthy, heavy and the red-sox don't want him ?? :cry:
Talk about sour grapes. Your Dodgers wanted him, but would pay the price. I'm sure you'd have been singing a different tune if he was wearing blue. :rolleyes:

CBadDad
09-01-2006, 06:41 AM
Were getting down to the wire. Only about 28 games left. This move will def. make the race a bit more interesting. The Padres have by far the toughest schedule in these last games. They've got 6 with Cincinatti. Frisco for 3. 6 Vs. D-Backs. 3 Vs. St. Louis. Not to mention 3 with the Dodgers. As you can see the Padres have a loooonnnnggg road ahead of them.
With that schedule, the Dodgers should be concerned.

HavasuSelect
09-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Talk about sour grapes. Your Dodgers wanted him, but would pay the price. I'm sure you'd have been singing a different tune if he was wearing blue. :rolleyes:
He wasn't worth giving up any of the prospects that the Red Sox wanted. Not by a long shot. Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in the rotation but for somebody a little more reasonable. Like the prospect the Padres gave up.
With that schedule, the Dodgers should be concerned.
Why should the Dodgers be concerned? Those 3 games are going to be played at Dodger Stadium. Hopefully the Dodgers will be way ahead by that time. Our schedule consists of the Rockies for 6 games. Brewers for 3, Cubs for 3, Pirates for 3. The hardest series is going to be with the Mets for 4, Pads for 3 and Giants for 3. The Dodgers only have 10 more difficult games whereas the rest of the Padres season is going to be a dog fight.

Ziggy
09-01-2006, 06:58 AM
This aquisition makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Radiers signing Jeff George........yeah, yeah, apples vs oranges.
Wells' experience has real value at this point of the pennant race...time will tell.

Ziggy
09-01-2006, 07:07 AM
zigg, get your "football" and get outta here ...... this is baseball talk, those meatheads are still in pre-season :cry: ;) keyes
I much prefer the crack of helmets over the crack of a bat........baseball season is way too long to hold my interest unless its real close at the end like now. Follow it mildly just to see where we(Padres) stand. Otherwise whatever happens , happens. :D:D
GO FRIARS