PDA

View Full Version : Plane Tickets

GottaJet
08-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Looks like I may have to get a couple tickets to Florida. Does anyone have suggestions on where to look for the best rates?? I've also heard the airlines will sometimes cut you a break if it's an ill or dieing relative situation. Anyone have experience with this?? Thankyou for any info you can provide.

YeLLowBoaT
08-31-2006, 09:20 PM
ether go online( airline web site, not the sites like orbitz...) or call late at night. Some times they do give you good deals if your traveling do to death/illness. some times they don't. I have always had the best luck calling between 1-3 in the morning.

topless
08-31-2006, 09:32 PM
Go to the recycler and look for someone selling Southwest frequent flyer tickets. Thats your best bet I think

voodoomedman
08-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Looks like I may have to get a couple tickets to Florida. Does anyone have suggestions on where to look for the best rates?? I've also heard the airlines will sometimes cut you a break if it's an ill or dieing relative situation. Anyone have experience with this?? Thankyou for any info you can provide.
Do you have a credit card that you use a lot that has rewards? I put everything on one credit card and pay off at the end of the month. I noticed that one of the things I could use the points were for travel. Well we are flying to South Carolina next month and two round trip tickets are free. The baby is still under two so he is free anyway.

lewiville
08-31-2006, 09:35 PM
sometimes going to the airline directly is the best. with that there is no extra charges that the internet companys charge.

GottaJet
08-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanx everyone those are some good suggestions. :D

NashvilleBound
09-01-2006, 02:30 AM
Southwest is usually the cheapest. I use my card at work and get 2-3 free flights a month. I dont think you can use the flight vouchers from others anymore as you are required to have that persons SS number to book it. Last time i checked at least. So be carefull trying that. If you book out 21 days ahead that will be your cheapest rates online........ good luck.

HocusPocus
09-01-2006, 05:49 AM
we have gotten some good prices thru jet blue.. worth a shot :)

topless
09-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Southwest is usually the cheapest. I use my card at work and get 2-3 free flights a month. I dont think you can use the flight vouchers from others anymore as you are required to have that persons SS number to book it. Last time i checked at least. So be carefull trying that. If you book out 21 days ahead that will be your cheapest rates online........ good luck.I don't know how true that is. I'm getting ready to use one to go to Texas. Even if it is, all you need teeed is to have the holder of the voucher to book the flight.

Riverless
09-01-2006, 07:53 AM
I had to get a last minute flight to Philadelphia about six year ago when my grandmother passed away. I wanted to fly out the very next day. I called the airlines and asked for a bereavement rate and she quoted me around $1,000. I told her that I thought you could get a good rate for a family members death and she told me that the regular rate would have been $2,000 since I am calling the day before my departure. Well, there was no way I wanted to spend that much, so I went on Priceline and named my own price of $300 and they accepted it. I haven't used Priceline in a long time, but you might want to give it a shot, you just need to be flexible on departure times.

sam pioske
09-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Another tool to look at is [Travel-zoo - super search] also SWA as people have said , good luck! Sam

bocco
09-01-2006, 08:48 AM
I have booked many tickets through Expedia and had good luck. They were cheaper than dealing directly with the airlines.
I had to get a next day flight for my wife when her mom got sick. I was afraid it would'nt go through quickly enough so I called expedia and the lady was happy to help over the phone. E-tickets were there for the wife the next day.

Riverless
09-01-2006, 09:04 AM
I use Expedia everytime I buy airline tickets. I find prices are pretty much the same whether you use Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity etc. The same with hotels, I checked a bunch of sites this summer for hotel rates in NYC and pretty much got the same hotels and the same prices on all the sites I visited. Seems they are all drawing from the same database.

jxr02
09-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Its a crawler type search engine. Checks all the other sites and gives you the best prices. Also, my experience with berievment fares is that they are not really any cheaper than regular rates.

lalhc
09-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Most airlines will offer you the best pricing usually offered to passengers that book 2-4 weeks in advance. At least Southwest offers that due to deaths in the family.
I would recommend calling Southwest and Jet Blue. I believe Jet Blue offers a non-stop flight to Florida out of Long Beach.

GottaJet
09-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanx everyone :)