PDA

View Full Version : Snakes!!

Old Man Havasu
09-01-2006, 08:59 PM
My wife just found a snake in the kitchen and almost died. It has yellow and black striped. A similar looking snake slithered between my feet one afternoon while camping at Ocotillo Wells. It was non-poisonous (I believe) and wanted to get away from us. It was heading for the living room when she saw it.
Evan my son got around the snake and opened the backdoor and I herded it outside with my crutches. (broken leg) My wife then tried to put it in a bowl and throw it over the wall and it almost ran up her arm. This thing was about two foot long.
Of course this was after we found a much longer snake skin on the front porch upon arrival. I told my wife there was no way a snake would be in the house. She thinks it's the same snake. I did not have the heart to tell her the skin was twice as long as the snake in the house. The drought conditions have all types of animals seeking water out here. I think it came in the backdoor which I propped open for the dog when we were unloading.
It's going to be a great weekend! :supp: :supp: :supp:
Gary AKA Snake Charmer

Havasu_Dreamin
09-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Reprinted without permission from Todays News Herald
More snakes slithering into Lake Havasu City area
By DON AYOTTE
Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:09 PM MDT
Due to the recent drought in the area, a large number of sidewinders and rattlesnakes have been drawn into the populated areas of Lake Havasu City
Neither sidewinders nor rattlesnakes drink water but instead are instinctively drawn to water to find their natural prey, said Lyle Walters, head of commercial business for Havasu Pest Control.
These snakes usually prey on mice, lizards, bugs or smaller snakes that do drink water and also find their way to residential swimming pools because of the drought.
According to Walters, he found a two-foot sidewinder from a pool five minutes before a technician showed up to clean the trap. “He would have been bitten as soon as he removed the cap. This is the first sidewinder I've seen in two years,” said Walters.
Sidewinders, unlike rattlesnakes, don't give a warning when they strike. Usually the first time you know you're in danger is when you are bitten. When a rattlesnake has slipped into a pool and can't get out, their rattles are wet and there is no warning, Walters said.
The snakes usually do their best to avoid humans because we are not their natural prey and only strike when feeling threatened.
“The bite of a sidewinder or rattlesnake can be fatal if medical treatment is not sought immediately,” said Walters. “When walking in the desert, avoid the shaded areas. That's where they go in the daytime to get out of the heat.”
If the drought continues, these snakes that usually avoid populated areas will only increase their presence around water looking for their natural prey, according to Walters.
Donna Ellsworth of Eliminator Pest Control in Parker said she has received three calls in the last week to remove snakes from homeowners in the area. According to Ellsworth, a special permit is necessary to remove reptiles. “I refer them to Havasu Pest Control In Lake Havasu City,” she said. Ellsworth received one call from Fort Mohave, one from Lake Havasu City and one from Bullhead City. Snakes are an area-wide problem, Ellsworth said.
Pest control experts advise people use caution when walking in any area during the drought when these snake have left their natural habitat, and temporarily occupy populated spaces.
Looks like I might need to put some plexiglass on the gates so they can't even get into our backyard.....

Old Man Havasu
09-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Wow,
Timely information. Our little dog could be toast...
Thanks

slowinhavasu
09-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Funny...my wife says I'm the only snake coming through the door..... :rollside:

beaverretriever
09-01-2006, 09:50 PM
My wife just found a snake in the kitchen and almost died. It has yellow and black striped.
Kill them mother F-n snakes on a plane, I mean kitchen... :squiggle:

Rexone
09-02-2006, 02:11 AM
Wow,
Timely information. Our little dog could be toast...
Thanks
Get your dogs "snake trained" so they avoid rattlesnakes. I have snakes around my place and all my dogs get trained. I got a new dog a month ago and he went to class right away.
http://www.patrickcallaghan.com/
I know it works as I've tested it with my dogs. They won't get anywhere near a rattlesnake after this training. Many hunting dogs are trained in this manner too.
There's an outfit in Tucson too that does it. Search Google for rattlesnake avoidance training. A rattlesnake can easily kill a little dog.

YeLLowBoaT
09-02-2006, 02:18 AM
b4 you go killing all the snakes around your house, remember the are keeping the rat/mouse/groud squerl/ground hogs/gofers in check. Never kill a snake unless you aboslutly must. Move then to a safer loaction or call animal control( thats what they get paid for).

Old Man Havasu
09-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Cheaper to go to the pound and get a new dog. :eek:

Old Man Havasu
09-02-2006, 04:41 AM
Kidding about the new dog.
I have hunted pheasant over several of Callaghans dogs. He does a great job. Wish I could spend the time on a bird dog!

Mrs 2LKHVSU
09-02-2006, 06:30 AM
My wife just found a snake in the kitchen
Have you figured out HOW the snake entered your house?
:220v:

Chipster27
09-02-2006, 06:31 AM
I hate snakes. We have rattlers by our house because our house is near a National Park. Neighbor killed a baby rattler a couple months ago.
God I hate snakes. Nothing but fish should be able to move without legs

superdave013
09-02-2006, 06:36 AM
I about stepped on a big rattler last Thursday. I see them all the time but never from that close. Those rattles are pretty loud.

Mrs.Racer277
09-02-2006, 06:37 AM
I HATE snakes. I would have died if I found one in the kitchen. YIKES :yuk: :cry: :cry:

Mrs 2LKHVSU
09-02-2006, 06:44 AM
God I hate snakes. Nothing but fish should be able to move without legs
I agree... :crossx:

Maxey
09-02-2006, 06:46 AM
Get your dogs "snake trained" so they avoid rattlesnakes. I have snakes around my place and all my dogs get trained. I got a new dog a month ago and he went to class right away.
http://www.patrickcallaghan.com/
I know it works as I've tested it with my dogs. They won't get anywhere near a rattlesnake after this training. Many hunting dogs are trained in this manner too.
There's an outfit in Tucson too that does it. Search Google for rattlesnake avoidance training. A rattlesnake can easily kill a little dog.
Thanks for sharing this information. I will pass it on to my daughters who both have two dogs and live in rural areas.

Ike
09-02-2006, 07:29 AM
The Yellow and black striped snake was most likely a Garter Snake which in some areas can get quite big, but they are harmless.
I hate snakes, and have a huge phobia, so I have had to learn about them. I spent a lot of time in my youth in Eastern Washington and Idaho where they have prairie rattlers and since then I spook at any snake.
Here's link to identifiing California snakes.
California Snakes ID (http://www.californiaherps.com/identification/snakesid/snakes.id.html)

LHC30Victory
09-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Kidding about the new dog.
I call BS on this one :argue: :rolleyes: :)

ratso
09-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Reprinted without permission from Todays News Herald
More snakes slithering into Lake Havasu City area
By DON AYOTTE
Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:09 PM MDT
Due to the recent drought in the area, a large number of sidewinders and rattlesnakes have been drawn into the populated areas of Lake Havasu City
Neither sidewinders nor rattlesnakes drink water but instead are instinctively drawn to water to find their natural prey, said Lyle Walters, head of commercial business for Havasu Pest Control.
These snakes usually prey on mice, lizards, bugs or smaller snakes that do drink water and also find their way to residential swimming pools because of the drought.
According to Walters, he found a two-foot sidewinder from a pool five minutes before a technician showed up to clean the trap. “He would have been bitten as soon as he removed the cap. This is the first sidewinder I've seen in two years,” said Walters.
Sidewinders, unlike rattlesnakes, don't give a warning when they strike. Usually the first time you know you're in danger is when you are bitten. When a rattlesnake has slipped into a pool and can't get out, their rattles are wet and there is no warning, Walters said.
The snakes usually do their best to avoid humans because we are not their natural prey and only strike when feeling threatened.
“The bite of a sidewinder or rattlesnake can be fatal if medical treatment is not sought immediately,” said Walters. “When walking in the desert, avoid the shaded areas. That's where they go in the daytime to get out of the heat.”
If the drought continues, these snakes that usually avoid populated areas will only increase their presence around water looking for their natural prey, according to Walters.
Donna Ellsworth of Eliminator Pest Control in Parker said she has received three calls in the last week to remove snakes from homeowners in the area. According to Ellsworth, a special permit is necessary to remove reptiles. “I refer them to Havasu Pest Control In Lake Havasu City,” she said. Ellsworth received one call from Fort Mohave, one from Lake Havasu City and one from Bullhead City. Snakes are an area-wide problem, Ellsworth said.
Pest control experts advise people use caution when walking in any area during the drought when these snake have left their natural habitat, and temporarily occupy populated spaces.
Looks like I might need to put some plexiglass on the gates so they can't even get into our backyard.....
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

Old Man Havasu
09-02-2006, 10:14 AM
I call BS on this one :argue: :rolleyes: :)
You've seen my dog I guess? :confused: :devil: