PDA

View Full Version : VW's still suck

Partycattin
09-03-2006, 05:34 PM
So my wife buys this 86 VW Cabriolet. Thing is pretty clean, low mileage for an 86. If nothing else, our Excursion can be parked and this thing gets great mileage. To good to be true.
Last night we had killer seats to the John Fogarty concert at the Greek theatre. Great night to cruise to a concert with the top down. Cars running great until we're sitting in line to park. Thing starts getting real hot so I pull into this lane by the center median to let it cool down. We're all of about 200 feet from parking. Turn the car off to let it cool down and about 1 minute later, a funky hose blows. No I'm f'd. Call AAA, get towed to some Pep Boys in Hollywood, but they just closed. Wait for someone to drive about 45 minutes to pick us up. Returned back to Pep Boys today and they don't have the part. Drive and call all over town. Nobody has it and all the VW parts depts are closed. So I end up rigging up a copper "T" from Home Depot and get the thing home.
Not only did we miss the concert, but the f'n thing took up most of my Sunday. VW's are still pieces of crap.

hoolign
09-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Shitty deal. The concert was great! :crossx:
I'm kidding ..it was freakin awsome!

SHOTKALLIN
09-03-2006, 07:05 PM
I had a bug break down on valentines day at the Boneventure Hotel once. I bet I was more pissed than you. :crossx:

Boatcop
09-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Can't understand that. :confused:
My ('69) VW has NEVER leaked water.
:D

SHOTKALLIN
09-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Can't understand that. :confused:
My ('69) VW has NEVER leaked water.
:D
Your funny Alan. I broke the shift fork as I was leaving the Valet. Chaching new tranny.

gfinch
09-03-2006, 08:21 PM
A 20 year old car had a cooling system problem, what a shock. PEP Boys? AKA Manny Jacks Mo? Sorry you had car problems, just be warned if you got it hot, it will probably have a head gasket problem within 6 months.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Wife just barely beat a Jetta GTI over the Santa Su pass road tonight in her S2000.
Surprised her,
Fast cars for Vee Dubz.

DUNDUN
09-03-2006, 08:43 PM
my 71' bug broke down three hours ago..
i went to turn it on, cranked over. and shorted out..
i was in a parking lot and it was dark and im not electrical expert..
so i guess ill tow it in the morning.
ive had my license for three weeks and have been driving it for about a week, i just put new carpet in today along with new seat belts n such.
what a pile of shit.
i cant wait to buy a real car.

phebus
09-03-2006, 08:49 PM
my 71' bug broke down three hours ago..
i went to turn it on, cranked over. and shorted out..
i was in a parking lot and it was dark and im not electrical expert..
so i guess ill tow it in the morning.
ive had my license for three weeks and have been driving it for about a week, i just put new carpet in today along with new seat belts n such.
what a pile of shit.
i cant wait to buy a real car.
Well then, you'd better sell it to someone that appreciates a classic ride, and buy a Honda :D
Oh, and why are Wendy's burgers square, Because they don't cut corners :rollside:

OCMerrill
09-03-2006, 08:58 PM
A 20 year old car had a cooling system problem, what a shock. PEP Boys? AKA Manny Jacks Mo? Sorry you had car problems, just be warned if you got it hot, it will probably have a head gasket problem within 6 months.
I am thinking the same deal here. If your wife likes the car at least replace the belts, hoses, look at the brakes, and you should avoid driving it...EVER. Those things are for girls only. :rollside:

DUNDUN
09-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Well then, you'd better sell it to someone that appreciates a classic ride, and buy a Honda :D
Oh, and why are Wendy's burgers square, Because they don't cut corners :rollside:
the car runs good, its fun to drive.. but it sure is frustrating..
and i want to buy a little tacoma or something after this..

PowellScooter
09-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I grew up driving old type 1s , had 20 some bugs, `53 was the oldest and `63 was the newest, a `54 bus and a `73 bus. Drove the $hit outta all of them and never had any problems that werent earned. On the blown hose dealio -- rubber parts are a wear item, you gotta replace stuff like that on a regular basis, the worst part is that stuff always breaks at the least opportune moment, as if there was a good time to break down...... sorry you missed your concert.

racecar.hotshoe
09-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Wife just barely beat a Jetta GTI over the Santa Su pass road tonight in her S2000.
Surprised her,
Fast cars for Vee Dubz.
Yep there fast and they take a pretty good punch.............This one we were in.......And lived
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1917crash1.JPG

Partycattin
09-04-2006, 08:40 AM
I am thinking the same deal here. If your wife likes the car at least replace the belts, hoses, look at the brakes, and you should avoid driving it...EVER. Those things are for girls only. :rollside:
She bought the car to cruise around town, we should have kept it at that.
No more living the safe confines of Simi Valley.
At least if it breaks here, it's close to home.
I'm going to go through the entire cooling system. Parts are pretty cheap for these things so might as well put new stuff in.

jbone
09-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Sounds like a normal thing to happen to a 20 yr old car. It just sounds like it happened at the worst possible time.
But when do things break when you are parked in front of the dealer during business hours.
I to leave my Excursion parked to save gas and drive a 94 Accord with 175k. I know I take a risk everytime I drive it.
Good luck,
J
P.S. 1967 and older vw's rule!!!

Jordy
09-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Yep there fast and they take a pretty good punch.............This one we were in.......And lived
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1917crash1.JPG
I remember when that happened and looking at the pics it's amazing you guys did. That's the type of wreck where you see the car on the tow truck and wonder how many people didn't make it.

RitcheyRch
09-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Read the VW is bringing back the Scirocco

Trailer Park Casanova
09-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Read the VW is bringing back the Scirocco
Now there was a POS.
Never met a happy owner.
Gave a bad rep to Kraut products IMHO.

gfinch
09-04-2006, 10:24 AM
She bought the car to cruise around town, we should have kept it at that.
No more living the safe confines of Simi Valley.
At least if it breaks here, it's close to home.
I'm going to go through the entire cooling system. Parts are pretty cheap for these things so might as well put new stuff in.
ALL the water hoses, the little obscure ones are the ones that get you.
About the head gasket, if you experance a coolant loss without visable sign, and/or an on start up missfire, Have a GOOD shop check it for a combustion leak into the cooling system.
Also with each CARB fuel change the fuel hoses dry up more and more.

isthismikeon?
09-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Ok class.............lets review. Do we pay the extra 30 dollars and take the Excursion, or do we chance breaking down, missing the concert

gfinch
09-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Ok class.............lets review. Do we pay the extra 30 dollars and take the Excursion, or do we chance breaking down, missing the concert
Do the math, $30 in gas. Or probably $20 in gas extra, you'd have to put gas in the Krout Krap Kar. But then again, If you did use the Ford we wouldn't have someone to pick on today. :)

Partycattin
09-04-2006, 01:00 PM
The gas cost wasn't really the issue on this journey. It was just a great summer night and perfect for cruising to a concert in a convertible. Maybe just not this f'n convertible.
Lesson learned, keep the car local, even if the weather is great.

Sportin' Wood
09-04-2006, 01:05 PM
X2
If your gonna drive that you better wear a pink IZOD. :rollside:

v-drive
09-04-2006, 04:15 PM
We have a Passat and love it. we wanted to save the miles on our truck so I bought a beetle and we drive that little thing everywhere. For us we vw's have proven to be great cars. v-drive

Krazy K
09-04-2006, 04:46 PM
I had a '79 Rabbit that was a bat out of hell. It ran great until I forgot to check the oil and it threw a crank out the front of the engine on the 405 between Harbor and Fairview. I get out of the car and see a trail of fluid and metal shrapnel for about 100 feet.
BTW, I have a '95 Passport now and in the last 3 months, I've had to put a alternator, starter and radiator in the f'cker. Thank god the alt. was under warranty cuz I just took it back in for it. The radiator developed a crack on the top part and since it is not aluminum, the whole thing had to be replaced. :rolleyes:

doesitfloat?
09-04-2006, 05:55 PM
The gas cost wasn't really the issue on this journey. It was just a great summer night and perfect for cruising to a concert in a convertible. Maybe just not this f'n convertible.
Lesson learned, keep the car local, even if the weather is great.
PartyCattin, isn't the lesson learned that all of the hoses on a 20 year old car should be changed...before they break? :rolleyes: :rollside:

Forkin' Crazy
09-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I had a '79 Rabbit that was a bat out of hell. It ran great until I forgot to check the oil and it threw a crank out the front of the engine on the 405 between Harbor and Fairview. I get out of the car and see a trail of fluid and metal shrapnel for about 100 feet.
Wow!! Now that is something I would like to see!!! :crossx:
:rollside: