PDA

View Full Version : Up the river to Topock

HALLETT BOY
09-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Going to Havasu this weekend, want to go to Topock Sunday, as I'm leaving
the channel , which side of the lake do I enter the river on ? Is the water deep enough ? I have a 27 ft deep v ...

Ultracrazy
09-07-2006, 08:26 AM
the channel , which side of the lake do I enter the river on ? Is the water deep enough ? I have a 27 ft deep v ...
Prepare yourself for 100 different answers. I like the California side myself........but it's all about the changing current and sandbars. The best bet is to follow someone. If not........then you have to commit yourself to one side or the other and fly through there with your trim all the way up (not "trailer up", just trimmed up). Good luck.
UC

GRUNION
09-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Yup always makes me nervous. I always follow someone and Im also always watching my depth gauge say 3 or 4 ft.

Beer-30
09-07-2006, 08:32 AM
I have a 30' Sleek, and I make it just fine.
First of all, wait until about 9 or 10. No earlier than 9, 10 is better.
As you are n/b approaching the river, there is the far right entrance. That is OK, just center up on it.
There is the next entrance to the left of that one, with the series of islands between them. That is the more common one. Go just slightly right of center, maybe a boat-width or two.
The first hard right-hander you come to has a long penninsula of sand. It protrudes out toward the middle quite a bit. Stay middle at the very least. A little toward the left if you can. It gets shallow there. I've hit that one, cutting too close to the corner. No damage.
After that, it's just stay in the middle as much as you can.
Trim up as you wish. The more, the safer. After the entrance and that corner, you can pretty much trim normally.
Other than the 5 mph area in between, STAY ON PLANE.

Old Man Havasu
09-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Follow someone and wait to see that they MAKE it through before commiting to that path. Had a buddy that ASSUMED big expensive fast boat that guy would never run it aground. He got stuck as well.
If you wait until the sun gets overhead you can make out the deeper water.
I have a 270 and have had no problem, (so far!)

Deano
09-07-2006, 08:57 AM
100 answers is right. Do not center up on the far right entrance. It is pretty easy to read the water there. The nice smooth area at the center and to the right is about 2 feet deep. The rippled water about 100 feet off the California side is about 7-9 feet deep and is only about 40 feet wide... Or is it the other way around?? :crossx:

phebus
09-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I've gone through a couple of times this week, and I just folw the radius of the reed island, about 75 yards off of it, on the AZ side.

Jyruiz
09-07-2006, 09:55 AM
I've gone through a couple of times this week, and I just folw the radius of the reed island, about 75 yards off of it, on the AZ side.
Thats what I do, still scary though, specially at 9 in the morning.

Mrs. 4-B
09-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Ok, so you are a local... don't rub it in.

phebus
09-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Ok, so you are a local... don't rub it in.
I just have no life............. :rollside:

Bradman
09-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Ditto. I've gone this way the past 15 years and have never run aground. I did follow somebody the first few times though.

AirtimeLavey
09-07-2006, 11:07 AM
This is the approach I take. Did manage to shine the prop earlier this summer, though. :boxed:

Not So Fast
09-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Right now the water level is about 448+ so the path is welll covered with water. when it gets to 446 then we got something to talk about!!!! NSF

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 12:01 PM
as NSF posted Gordon...at 448 the depth is no problem...I also run about 75' to the AZ side of the reed island and knock on wood have never had a problem.

Beer-30
09-07-2006, 12:08 PM
I've been through the AZ side once. Didn't touch. After that, though, I have just followed everyone else through the CA side. As long as the water is up, I don't have an issue with either.

phebus
09-07-2006, 02:07 PM
If you take the California side, does Arnold tax you? :D

Not So Fast
09-07-2006, 02:32 PM
It also helps now that they have the bouys (no wake) up across speed alley or what ever it is on the right side at the mouth of the river just past the reed float. Last year I mistakenly took that and just kept on plane , made the turn at the end and kept on going, dumb luck I guess. :rollside: NSF

Beer-30
09-07-2006, 03:56 PM
It also helps now that they have the bouys (no wake) up across speed alley or what ever it is on the right side at the mouth of the river just past the reed float. Last year I mistakenly took that and just kept on plane , made the turn at the end and kept on going, dumb luck I guess. :rollside: NSF
You mean here?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/24335mphsm.JPG
this is the southern side of it coming from Havasu. Or do you mean the other side coming from Topock?

voodoomedman
09-07-2006, 03:58 PM
You mean here?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/24335mphsm.JPG
this is the southern side of it coming from Havasu. Or do you mean the other side coming from Topock?
That's a pic of devil's elbow not the mouth of the river in Havasu

blackcloud75
09-07-2006, 04:01 PM
The thing I like the most is when your behind someone on plane and they decide they need to slow from 35-40 mph to 10 mph with 15 boats stacked behind them.......................KEEP IT ON PLANE AND TRIM UP!!!!!

Beer-30
09-07-2006, 04:34 PM
That's a pic of devil's elbow not the mouth of the river in Havasu
Ah. I got hooked on the "buoys" portion, thinking he straightened out one of the curves. My bad. Carry on.