PDA

View Full Version : Help! Buying New Boat

JakeAisA
01-15-2006, 11:26 AM
My buddy is looking to buy a new boat. A 21 foot open bow. He has a budget and can't afford the Hallet 210 I suggested. Looking for comfort and not necessarily speed. Any suggestions? He was eyeing the Caliber1 210 Magnum in this month's ***boat. All I said for sure was not to buy a Commander cuz they're shady and poor quality.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hardly Satisfied
01-15-2006, 11:39 AM
I Think I Saw A Old Thread On Caliber Boats Were Somepeople Had A Lawsuit On Them.you Might Check Some Old Post

OGShocker
01-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Dana Boats have a really nice 21'. Loaded from the start. Call Rhett @ 909-399-4044.
OGS OUT!

Dribble
01-15-2006, 11:46 AM
If your buddy wants a good boat and is on a serious budget have him call Mark at Performance Offshore Marine in Corona. He builds the same 21' hull as Aftershock, Cobra, Renegade etc. with quality hardware, for a screamin price. Even though I have a Caliber 1 230, (rigged by Mark) and love it, I'm not all that impressed with their 210. I have never done business with them (Caliber) personally but if you do a search here, you might find some interesting stuff.
RE: Commander. There alot of people on the boards who have Commanders are are quite happy with them.

Jordy
01-15-2006, 11:50 AM
You just have to call Louie at Kachina. :D
(sorry, just couldn't resist ;) )

Old Texan
01-15-2006, 12:16 PM
My buddy is looking to buy a new boat. A 21 foot open bow. He has a budget and can't afford the Hallet 210 I suggested. Looking for comfort and not necessarily speed. Any suggestions? He was eyeing the Caliber1 210 Magnum in this month's ***boat. All I said for sure was not to buy a Commander cuz they're shady and poor quality.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Tell him to educate himself, make a list of what he really wants as far as features, make sure what he buys has resale value, and test run everything he can.
Also weigh the results and look at new vs used. Finding someone trading up with a well cared for boat can often get you a lot more bang for the buck.

eman1625
01-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Shockwave 21 stepskier. Great boat never had a problem and great customer service.

Kilrtoy
01-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Ok, with a budget in place, he will get, what he can afford, regardless of what you are reading or hearing. The budget will dictate what he purchase's. Most companies are very good when it come to the old bread and butter, the 21 footer

ahhell
01-15-2006, 12:43 PM
wow...Commander slamming AGAIN
Had mine for 2 years...love it, and saved a bunch (for us lesser budgeted ones)

burtandnancy
01-15-2006, 12:47 PM
BOAT SHOW in just a few weeks

THOR
01-15-2006, 12:51 PM
How much is he looking to spend?

frdvschvy
01-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Laveycraft 21 XCS. Handles rough water , and feels like a bigger boat. Also, the stepped hull performs well. Craftsmanship and rigging is top notch.

badtaste
01-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Aftershock makes a great 21... classic styling and good power options (although I've heard they don't like to put on outboards)

Throttle
01-15-2006, 02:32 PM
the 210 Cobra Viper was a great boat for me when I first stepped into the performance market... I was lookin for quality with value... I felt like it had all the options I needed and the write ups in ***boat were super... just a couple of things that were important to me at the time; high performance, extreme tandem trailer, dual batteries, lots of cup holders, a very nice and neat clean finished interior, lots of storage and seats, big ski locker... (of course, all of the other builders offered the same things) but I really liked the look of the overall finished product better. gel work to the thought of a hinge inside of the hatch instead of on the outside gave it a clean finished appearance, it also made for smooth access in and out of the boat. every builder could do it but they weren't doin yet. it was the little things that made my decision to go with cobra.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/2610IMG07.JPG
All I am sayin is... be sure to stop by and see Cobra at the show... just put it on your friends list...

kmurphy
01-16-2006, 11:08 AM
STAY AWAY FROM AFTERSHOCK! They are shady and don't pay their bills. You could get a lien slapped on your boat from suppliers plus I wouldn't have a lot of faith in a company that leaves their suppliers high and dry.

dicudmore
01-16-2006, 11:09 AM
STAY AWAY FROM AFTERSHOCK! They are shady and don't pay their bills. You could get a lien slapped on your boat from suppliers plus I wouldn't have a lot of faith in a company that leaves their suppliers high and dry.
1st post :idea:
sounds like you have more to tell us :idea: and welcome :cool:

H20 Toie
01-16-2006, 11:13 AM
wow...Commander slamming AGAIN
Had mine for 2 years...love it, and saved a bunch (for us lesser budgeted ones)
And it wasn't even me this time. :)

syke-o
01-16-2006, 11:14 AM
i have a 22' laser that seems to fit the billl for what your looking for... great options for someone on a budget, like myself when i got mine.. laser has always had pretty decent write ups and i have been pretty happy with mine thus far... but let me tell you one thing... if you can; try to go bigger now and save yourself from wanting to upgrade after the first season... :cry:

Desert Rat
01-16-2006, 11:22 AM
My Brother has this Lavey for sale. Not too sure of the price but I think its around 30K Very clean boat, handles rough water very good for a 21' It is a long 21 too because Lavey does not include the built in swin step into the length like some builders do.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/881DSCF0187a.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/881DSCF0185a.jpg

OGShocker
01-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Is this Eddie?,,, Eddie Marine??
Fockin' one post wonders. :yuk:

Debbolas
01-16-2006, 11:32 AM
How much does he want to spend?
Our friends bought a used Lazer that is just perfect for them.
Good Luck!
:)
our other friends bought a used commander that they JUST love
;)

Ivan Dan
01-16-2006, 11:39 AM
I think for about the same price as a lot of the other 21' boats you could get the 23' Dana which is a very open and spacious 23'. Came very close to buying one a few years back and the only reason I didn't was because I ended up buying a Magic deckboat instead.

Newcastle
01-16-2006, 11:59 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2185DSC00001.JPG
My buddy's 21' Renegade. He's stoked on it and I've enjoyed using it. Holds up well, but if you could go 23' I would. The 21' gets a beating on any weekend in the Zoo
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/21851_35_.JPG

Biglue
01-16-2006, 12:07 PM
I bought a used Commander a year ago. I love my boat. I've had it out in the ocean and on Havasu. Quality is there. Nothing has rattled loose on my boat. Just one for the Commander owners out there who feel the same about their boats. :rolleyes:

XtrmWakeborder
01-16-2006, 12:23 PM
I'd say go with the Lavey. Its probably the biggest 21' boat out of the bunch, which will help in the chop.

H20 Toie
01-16-2006, 12:26 PM
I'd say go with the Lavey. Its probably the biggest 21' boat out of the bunch, which will help in the chop.
Wouldn't the Lavey be more money than the Hallet he can't afford?

Cole Trickle
01-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Dana 23
Very nice boat and it seemed big for a 23 when we looked at it.

frdvschvy
01-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Wouldn't the Lavey be more money than the Hallet he can't afford?
Picked up my Lavey 21' XCS for $25k, and it is in pristine condition. If the budget is less than 25k, then he might be in the wrong hobby.

Throttle
01-16-2006, 04:53 PM
I bought a used Commander a year ago. I love my boat. I've had it out in the ocean and on Havasu. Quality is there. Nothing has rattled loose on my boat. Just one for the Commander owners out there who feel the same about their boats. :rolleyes:
sorry lue in advance for what i am about to write...
Its just too bad that commander can not come up with a paint sceme on their own! :cry:

Dribble
01-16-2006, 05:21 PM
I think for about the same price as a lot of the other 21' boats you could get the 23' Dana which is a very open and spacious 23'. Came very close to buying one a few years back and the only reason I didn't was because I ended up buying a Magic deckboat instead.
Isn't the 23 Dana about 55K ???

kmurphy
01-17-2006, 12:06 PM
1st post :idea:
sounds like you have more to tell us :idea: and welcome :cool:
I know a few of their suppliers who aren't getting paid for their products....some over a year old. AFTERSHOCK doesn't answer their phone or return phone calls. Just want to get the word out there that a buyer could get burned. Can't imagine a company operating like that could stay in business much longer. They also make CARRERA boats.

kmurphy
01-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Is this Eddie?,,, Eddie Marine??
Fockin' one post wonders. :yuk:
No, this is not Eddie....Eddie Marine!
Maybe you ought to trade that Dana in on an AFTERSHOCK!!

WYRD
01-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Dana 23
Very nice boat and it seemed big for a 23 when we looked at it.
and as a bonus the secertary is a total "HOTTIE" :crossx:

OGShocker
01-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I know a few of their suppliers who aren't getting paid for their products....some over a year old. AFTERSHOCK doesn't answer their phone or return phone calls. Just want to get the word out there that a buyer could get burned. Can't imagine a company operating like that could stay in business much longer. They also make CARRERA boats.
Have the balls to post under our normal handle. Your credibility would go way up, if you would man up.
Boat insults.... :rolleyes:

havaduner
01-17-2006, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=kmurphy]I know a few of their suppliers who aren't getting paid for their products....some over a year old. AFTERSHOCK doesn't answer their phone or return phone calls. Just want to get the word out there that a buyer could get burned. Can't imagine a company operating like that could stay in business much longer. They also make CARRERA boats.[/QUOTE
Do you have this info firsthand, or is this something you "heard" from someone else??? Inquiring minds want to know.....

Tom Brown
01-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Glastron. 'nuff said. :cool:

Benjhamina
01-17-2006, 03:09 PM
I hope I don't get my head bit off for this but before I got my Eliminator I owned a 21 foot Bayliner open bow 4.3L for about 5 years. It was a little bouncy when Havasu got rough but I maintained it almost never and it NEVER broke down or left me stranded. I also got more trim on that boat than I can remember. I bought it for $12000 and sold it for $9000 five years later. It was a great boat.

dicudmore
01-17-2006, 03:55 PM
and as a bonus the secertary is a total "HOTTIE" :crossx:
that is the understatement of the YEAR right there :D

Throttle
01-17-2006, 05:21 PM
that is the understatement of the YEAR right there :D
maybe i can go across the street this week and get a sticker... og needs a beer anyway...

jbtrailerjim
01-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Have him check out an Ultra. The 21 Stealth is a nice looking boat and he won't find a nicer group of people to work with. I'm sure he could probably get a 21 Stealth with a 350 Mag in it for power for a somewhat reasonable price. Nice entry level boat.
http://www.ultraboats.com/admin/images/256.jpg

SnakeWrench
01-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Here goes all the slandering. You guys need to grow up. I work for Cobra and what you need to do is your homework. Look into the history of the company, awards they have recieved, new models and also look at what your budget is as well as what it is you want from a boat. Are you going to keep the boat for a long time, or trade up in a year or two. The reason I say this is the 21's are usually not good in the big lakes like Havasu or mead because of the rough water. Check into used boats like at Boaters outlet in Upland. Ted will give you HONEST opinions of the boats he has and has great conections with most builders in the area.
Remember that selling a new boat after a year will cost you money. Consider going used because I have a feeling you will be trading it in for a bigger one in the near future.
Later.

Chubby4Life
01-17-2006, 09:52 PM
.... 21's are usually not good in the big lakes like Havasu or mead because of the rough water. Check into used boats like at Boaters outlet in Upland. Ted will give you HONEST opinions of the boats he has and has great conections with most builders in the area.
Remember that selling a new boat after a year will cost you money. Consider going used because I have a feeling you will be trading it in for a bigger one in the near future.
Later.
I agree 100%, Ted sold us our Ultra, No B.S. no unseen costs just "straight up" great to deal with. We're actually getting ready to call him about re-selling the Ultra since we went "bigger".

77charger
01-17-2006, 09:55 PM
there is a nice hallet in the spam section dont know if it is still there but a closed bow 21 with a 454 bravo1.
PM up4river it is his boat(to see if he still has it)
I thought about it before he bought it was just out of budget for me at the time and i found a 21 ft eliminator open bow with 350 mag alpha drive for 16k

77charger
01-17-2006, 10:01 PM
H The reason I say this is the 21's are usually not good in the big lakes like Havasu or mead because of the rough water. Check into used boats like at Boaters outlet in Upland. Ted will give you HONEST opinions of the boats he has and has great conections with most builders in the area.
Later.I can disagree with this i have taken mine to havasu,mohave and powell.Sure i slow it down but i still make it across the lakes.Last trip to powell we did a 3 day trip on the water to escalante arm
One reason i like the 21 is cause i like to waterski and stuff.Besides i also go on the lower river below parker and it can get shallow,some of the lakes i go to are smaller also.But that is just me and my boating habits big boat for me is just not as useful.For someone else might be the ticket

DRMCAT
01-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Our Commander [IMG]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3144boat2-med.jpg

SnakeWrench
01-22-2006, 12:24 AM
I can disagree with this i have taken mine to havasu,mohave and powell.Sure i slow it down but i still make it across the lakes.Last trip to powell we did a 3 day trip on the water to escalante arm
One reason i like the 21 is cause i like to waterski and stuff.Besides i also go on the lower river below parker and it can get shallow,some of the lakes i go to are smaller also.But that is just me and my boating habits big boat for me is just not as useful.For someone else might be the ticket
Let me rephrase this. Most people that buy a 21, have returned within a year to see how much it would be for a 23.

Ultrafied
01-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Let me rephrase this. Most people that buy a 21, have returned within a year to see how much it would be for a 23.
I agree. in the case of 77Charger, it does make sense for the river part of his requirement.

LLGirl
01-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Same here, we love our Commander!! :)