PDA

View Full Version : Wheel and/or Detail Guys

ratso
09-14-2006, 07:49 AM
I have those Weld Racing Super 8 Wheels on my 3/4 Dodge, and these things are as bad as freakin' cheap ass wheels as far as spotting and it seems like I'm polishing them constantly... and still can't get them looking new again. What steps can I take to get them back shiny again and keep them that way??? :mad:

sigepmock
09-14-2006, 07:53 AM
I have those Weld Racing Super 8 Wheels on my 3/4 Dodge, and these things are as bad as freakin' cheap ass wheels as far as spotting and it seems like I'm polishing them constantly... and still can't get them looking new again. What steps can I take to get them back shiny again and keep them that way??? :mad:
Take them down and have them chromed :crossx:

ratso
09-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Do they still make those white wagon wheels? Those were the shit! :D

Jyruiz
09-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Take them down and have them chromed :crossx:
Ditto.

RitcheyRch
09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Chrome the only way to go or have them polished and clear anodized.

ratso
09-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Do they make a clear powdercoat? :confused:

Big Kahunaa
09-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Do they make a clear powdercoat? :confused:
yes alot of sand car guys use it

prosthogod
09-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Viper wheels come stock with a clear powdercoat and I had it stripped because they always looked dirty. If you are going through that jusst chrome them.

pixilatedpussy
09-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Hmm....maybe shoot clear over them?? :crossx:

DaveA
09-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Clearcoating polished aluminum is a problem. Tough to get it to stick for any period of time. Same for powdercoating it. There are some tricks the OEM's use on their wheels to get it to stay on, tho. Even on the Viper wheels....You just gotta accept the tradeoffs.
Polishing and then anodizing could be a solution- provided you were prepared to strip and re-anodize if somebody hit 'em with acid cleaner or something. Also it's expensive, but do-able. Older Porsche wheels were polished/anodized for years. Worked well. I get a kick outa some Porsche owner toiling and laboring over polishing the outer lips on the 5-star wheels only to get nowhere....he doesn't know they're anodized...and it's the anodizing that's turned hazy, not the aluminum under it....
Before I'd go to the trouble and expense of chroming polished aluminum wheels, I'd have them polished professionally and then apply ZoopSeal resin coating to them. Lasts about a year on wheels that are washed regularly.
The problem with chroming wheels is that chrome and aluminum don't like each other- won't stick to each other without interface plating of copper and nickel. It's all about the plater and his level of expertise, his dedication to chroming the ENTIRE wheel, and not just the face- properly. Many of the platers that I know here on the East Coast won't plate wheels because of the complexity and inherent problems of plating aluminum in the first place.
Weld uses probably one of the best plating processes for aluminum wheels that you could find....won't find that in a local job shop plating operation, fer shure. You may consider just buying new chromed wheels from Weld and selling the ones you have, if chroming is the route you want to go. If you want something that will last, then be careful of buying the 'made in Chiner, plated in Chiner' wheels that are flooding the market today. There's rarely a warranty past a year on them, and if you curb one, and it starts to flake off Somewhere Else, I've seen dealers refuse to take them back because of the curb damage.....and you're done if you ever bust one and need a replacement- they can be tough to impossible to find after a year or so. I think your luck with replacing an older busted Weld wheel is alot better due to their reputation, dealer network, and also their being built here for the most part.
BTW, we don't sell aftermarket wheels....not in that biz.

Magic34
09-15-2006, 02:13 PM
PM me your name and address. I'll send you something that should take care of it.

SOCALDETAIL1
09-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Just be carefull when coating them. Carwash guys like to spray acid or wheel cleaner on them and it eats that coating up.

DaveA
09-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Just be carefull when coating them. Carwash guys like to spray acid or wheel cleaner on them and it eats that coating up.
Yea, I can't tell you how many Infiniti G35's and M45's I've seen that have been attacked with acid...."Hey, I can't get this black stain off these wheels...."

jbtrailerjim
09-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Before I'd go to the trouble and expense of chroming polished aluminum wheels, I'd have them polished professionally and then apply ZoopSeal resin coating to them. Lasts about a year on wheels that are washed regularly.
Yep, try some Zoop Seal. My dad is good friends with Frank Zupan (Owner of Zoops Products). It's a great product. My dad and many of his street rod buddies use this on there polished aluminum wheels, engine componets..ect. They say it works great. Here is a link to there website Zoops (http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp)

cc322
09-15-2006, 04:34 PM
What he said.

truksnboats
09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Are they forged or cast? Your best bet would be to have them polished by a pro and then clear coat them. Weld wheels are known to crack and leak air(the cast ones) as well, hope you dont have that problem.

ratso
09-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks everybody... I'll try some of these products and see what happens...