PDA

View Full Version : rayson craft. what you think

axkiker
09-14-2006, 08:16 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-RAYSON-CRAFT-CIGARETTE-HULL_W0QQitemZ170028094981QQihZ007QQcategoryZ31271 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
what do you all think about this ride. I will be in the market for something similiar and had never heard of this make. any ideas on price/ quality etc. Looks like a cool boat
thanks

ChumpChange
09-14-2006, 08:23 AM
I'd wonder where the reserve is on this boat as the starting bid is much lower than I've sen these boats go for including mine. This is the same hull design as the Dana 27' which I have for sale(see signature). It is an awesome hull that crushes through some big water. Mine handles great.
Not sure how RC laid them up but the hull design is great.
If you don't live in Utah and want a ride in a boat like this one, I'll be happy to take you for a ride.

NOTALENT
09-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Do a search on here....I believe there was some contraversey with Raysons Rigging.... :220v:

ChumpChange
09-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Please don't compare this boat too much to Dana other than the bottom hull design. Dana made some changes with the top and uses much better hardware than I can see in those pictures. There are no swimsteps on the back of that boat too.
I'm always weary of buying big ticket items off of ebay. Look at some of the big blown engines for used boats that have been purchased, I know I probably wouldn't want to buy one without thouroughly going through it and having leak down tests among other tests.

BADBLOWN572
09-14-2006, 08:39 AM
ChumpChange is right. The only thing that is the same between the Dana and the Rayson-Craft is the hull design. The boats are very different in terms of construction quality. Dana builds a very nice product from the beginning. :) Rason-Craft....... :rolleyes:
I have done a lot of work on a Rayson-Craft 27 before. I had a friend who bought one and it is a great boat. The thing cuts through rough water excellent, handled great overall, and was very comfortable. That is where the good points stopped. The rigging was horrible. The main power wire from the battery to the dash was spliced 8 times.
I completely de-rigged the boat and then re-rigged it. Every wire came out of the boat and new went in. They did stuff like run an 80amp alternator through a 40a breaker, pinched oil lines, miss-aligned motor, etc... Once everything was done, it was an awesome boat. It was definitely heavy for its size, but that is partially what made it run so well. It is also fast for its size too.
If I was in the market for a V bottom, it is one of the few boats that I would look at. Please be aware, if you buy this boat, you will probably have to dive into it and fix a lot of problems. Once you do, you will love it. Until then, you will hate the day you bought it.
Also, with it being a blower motor boat, have a compression test be done as well as a leak down test. :)
Good Luck!!!
Danny

HocusPocus
09-14-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm always weary of buying big ticket items off of ebay. Look at some of the big blown engines for used boats that have been purchased, I know I probably wouldn't want to buy one without thouroughly going through it and having leak down tests among other tests.
i agree, i have bought and sold lots of things on ebay without a problem but no big ticket items. i aways prefer to check them out in person, i don't like surprises.
:skull:

ChumpChange
09-14-2006, 08:44 AM
ChumpChange is right. The only thing that is the same between the Dana and the Rayson-Craft is the hull design. The boats are very different in terms of construction quality. Dana builds a very nice product from the beginning. :) Rason-Craft....... :rolleyes:
I have done a lot of work on a Rayson-Craft 27 before. I had a friend who bought one and it is a great boat. The thing cuts through rough water excellent, handled great overall, and was very comfortable. That is where the good points stopped. The rigging was horrible. The main power wire from the battery to the dash was spliced 8 times.
I completely de-rigged the boat and then re-rigged it. Every wire came out of the boat and new went in. They did stuff like run an 80amp alternator through a 40a breaker, pinched oil lines, miss-aligned motor, etc... Once everything was done, it was an awesome boat. It was definitely heavy for its size, but that is partially what made it run so well. It is also fast for its size too.
If I was in the market for a V bottom, it is one of the few boats that I would look at. Please be aware, if you buy this boat, you will probably have to dive into it and fix a lot of problems. Once you do, you will love it. Until then, you will hate the day you bought it.
Also, with it being a blower motor boat, have a compression test be done as well as a leak down test. :)
Good Luck!!!
Danny
axkiker: l think this just about sums it all up. A very insightful and helpful post.

axkiker
09-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Well im not in the market yet. I just happen to run across it and it looked like a pretty cool boat which someone might be able to pick up fairly cheap compaired to other boats of the same size etc. Im glad you told me about all the problems.
Would you say that the construction was the same quality as other comparable boats. Were the problems mainly with shotty installation etc that can be fixed. It would not bother me to rerig a boat like this if it were a good price. However you cant fix a poor quality structure. I guess what im saying if it were cheap enough I would love a good foundation to start with then rerig.
thanks

SHOTKALLIN
09-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Is Johnny out of jail yet?

GRUNION
09-14-2006, 09:03 AM
I love my Dana it is by far the best boat I have owned, and like everyone says it handles big water awsome.

schlepy
09-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Is Johnny out of jail yet?
i hope not, that piece of shiat should rot for a while.

ChumpChange
09-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Well im not in the market yet. I just happen to run across it and it looked like a pretty cool boat which someone might be able to pick up fairly cheap compaired to other boats of the same size etc. Im glad you told me about all the problems.
Ax: I'm not sure about everywhere that you are looking but so far you have posted two different ebay ads that I have at least seen. It is hard to say if these boats are good values as you don't really know what the price is. If the reserve is just above the starting price, it is one thing...but what if the reserve is at $70,000 then it would not be a good value.
Ask about information on the boats and their design, not if they're a "value". There is a reason that some boats are a value, sometimes it's because the owner needs to get out of a payment and sometimes it's because the owner wants to stop dumping a lot of cash into a crummy boat.
I'd jump on over to boattraderonline.com where you have a price and are able to speak with the seller more openly in order to find a boat and maybe shy away from ebay.