PDA

View Full Version : Why lift a truck?

Wizard29
09-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Obviously, it's become the trendy thing to do.
If the truck will never see more dirt than a graded gravel road down the washes to Glamis or the occasional dirt parking lot, why? In other words, if there's never going to be any off roading done with the vehicle to the extent it would actually need a lift and the bigger tires, what's the point?
In most cases, decreased towing ability/safety, crappy gas mileage, excess drivetrain wear and tear occur with a lift and larger tires. It also makes it much harder to get things into the bed (motorcycles, tools building materials, etc..) which seems to me would negate the point of getting a truck in the first place.
And the vast majority of the lifted trucks I see (particularly the crew cabs) are completely useless for any type of serious off roading. They are too long to make tight trail turns if they can even fit the width of the trail in the first place, they've got to be way top heavy which won't be good for any serious off-camber activity, and a lot of them would high-center despite the lift in technical situations. The sheer weight has also got to hinder the climbing ability quite a bit on any steep hill too.
So why do it? Just the cool factor?

djunkie
09-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Cause everyone else is doing it. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-14-2006, 01:10 PM
I bet you don't like it when people leave the factory 4X4 stickers on their trucks either, huh?
:D

Tom Brown
09-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Next you're going to ask why I have all these tribal tattoos.

djunkie
Next you're going to ask why I have all these tribal tattoos.
And flames on your legs. :crossx: :crossx:

MRS FLYIN VEE
why not?

OCMerrill
09-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Sitting up high in traffic is a major +.

Old Man Havasu
I bet you don't like it when people leave the factory 4X4 stickers on their trucks either, huh?
:D
LOL!!

Jetdriver
The reason we lifted our Tahoe were 2 fold. One is obiviously the look. It does look good. The other is Now I can fit 35's under it which helps when we are out in the desert or at the dunes. In fact we are going to try our hand at Pismo next weekend. BTW its 4 wheel drive. So I believe I can get a more aggressive tire under it now.

HammerDown
Cause everyone else is doing it. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
And a simple reason not to. :rollside:

plaster dave
Obviously, it's become the trendy thing to do.
If the truck will never see more dirt than a graded gravel road down the washes to Glamis or the occasional dirt parking lot, why? In other words, if there's never going to be any off roading done with the vehicle to the extent it would actually need a lift and the bigger tires, what's the point?
In most cases, decreased towing ability/safety, crappy gas mileage, excess drivetrain wear and tear occur with a lift and larger tires. It also makes it much harder to get things into the bed (motorcycles, tools building materials, etc..) which seems to me would negate the point of getting a truck in the first place.
And the vast majority of the lifted trucks I see (particularly the crew cabs) are completely useless for any type of serious off roading. They are too long to make tight trail turns if they can even fit the width of the trail in the first place, they've got to be way top heavy which won't be good for any serious off-camber activity, and a lot of them would high-center despite the lift in technical situations. The sheer weight has also got to hinder the climbing ability quite a bit on any steep hill too.
So why do it? Just the cool factor?
Why do anything cause we like it and chicks did big trucks.

redneckcharlie
09-14-2006, 01:14 PM
some of your questions or arguments are correct. but it completely depends on the kind of lift, and how its done. i have an 04 f250 crewcab, eleven inches of lift on 37's. as far as tow capacity, it hasn't changed. my truck is all spring, no blocks. the drop hitch is properly sized and rated. i routinely use itto pull a forty foot tag :rollside: car hauler, never had an issue. now why did i lift my truck? why do you boat? because its what you like. many things that people do have absolutely no usefull purpose other than it brings them enjoyment.

ratso
09-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Just to be bigger...
Why lower a truck... That's the one I never figured out.

Cheap Thrills
09-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Lift kits are like breast implants.
They do it because it feels good :D
C.T. :wink:

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Just to be bigger...
Why lower a truck... That's the one I never figured out.
LMAO!! for the shorter people. Gosh..

OCMerrill
09-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Why do anything cause we like it and chicks did big trucks.
Yes - Forgot about that CDI factor. Another plus.
(Chicks Dig It)
I am getting ready to lift my 2500HD about 6".
Its 2wd. Rifle away. I can take it.

Do F150's Float?
09-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Because i like looking down at people (same reason i wear platform shoes) ;)

riverbound
09-14-2006, 01:19 PM
I did it for looks. and being able to see over traffic was nice.
As far as all your points, crappy ride, poor mileage, etc....
My truck actually rode better after the lift then when it was stock, I really didnt notice any change in mileage. and Like I stated, it was nice being able to see OVER traffic.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17639&stc=1

reDECKulous
09-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Hater

jbone
09-14-2006, 01:22 PM
I did it because I have a little weenie, but one good point is that unless I get hit by another lifted excursion, most vehicles will impact me below the passenger area. So in a car vs car collision my family will be safer.
Being above most cars in bumper to bumper traffic helps too.
J

ratso
09-14-2006, 01:22 PM
LMAO!! for the shorter people. Gosh..
LMAO... I guess you got a point there! :D

JetBoatRich
09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Because I wanted too :cool:
I don't high center as much when we are out in the desert messing around :cool:

riverbound
09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
I did it because I have a little weenie, but one good point is that unless I get hit by another lifted excursion, most vehicles will impact me below the passenger area. So in a car vs car collision my family will be safer.
Being above most cars in bumper to bumper traffic helps too.
J
But with the higher COG, your chances of a rollover in a collision are much higher. That was how my Ex wifes brother passed :(. the cops said if his truck wasnt lifted he probably would be here because the truck wouldnt have rolled over.

reDECKulous
09-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Well if we had smaller engines in our boats we would be safer too... lets not play that game

Sandbar Mike
09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Lifted just flat out looks good.
Also cuts down on door dings, crap flying up off of the road etc.

Caribbean Jet
09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Why ask Why? Why does one drive a $100k sports car when the speed limit is only 65 or maybe 70. Why go out and spend extra cash on the AMG or the M version of your Luxary car. Because we can and we want to. Not sure what your really looking for in your question?

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-14-2006, 01:33 PM
it also cuts down on the fricken mini van doing 40 in the carpool lane. The lights are a distraction to the driver in front of you.

djunkie
09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
it also cuts down on the fricken mini van doing 40 in the carpool lane. The lights are a distraction to the driver in front of you.
That is the #1 thing I miss about having a lifted full size truck. But my work beater (Ranger) is lifted and it still shines in the back windows pretty good. :crossx: :crossx:

riverbound
09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Well if we had smaller engines in our boats we would be safer too... lets not play that game
Im not playing any games....if you read a couple posts sooner you will see that my last truck was lifted as was the F350 I had before that one (28" lift on 48" tires) just stating what was told to me once.
I dont think engine size has ANY thing to do with the safety in boats. 99.9% of the time its the loose nut behind the wheel.

reDECKulous
09-14-2006, 01:37 PM
you are correct about the driver... but 28" lift... i think that is a little more prone to roll than a 6" lift

Nord
09-14-2006, 01:52 PM
My last 2 trucks were lifted and I came to same conclusion you did when starting this thread. I now have a Avalanche Z71 and it is bone stock. After having the truck for about a year now and promising myself I would never lift another truck............. I want to lift this one. It would look bad ass because its all white (handles and etc.) and would look really clean.
I will not..........I repeat will not..........remove the Z71 4X4 sticker ;) since it adds about 5 mph to my truck :)
~NORD~

desertbird
09-14-2006, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=Cheap Thrills]Lift kits are like breast implants.
/QUOTE]
I think CT hit the nail on the head!!!! :crossx:

plaster dave
09-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Why ask Why? Why does one drive a $100k sports car when the speed limit is only 65 or maybe 70. Why go out and spend extra cash on the AMG or the M version of your Luxary car. Because we can and we want to. Not sure what your really looking for in your question?
Very well put.

jbtrailerjim
09-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Because I like the looks of it. Maybe its not as functional as it was when it was stock to some people. But it does everything I want it to do and I'm happy with it.

FreshTracks
09-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Because it doesn't look like my dad's truck......
And if you have ever pulled up to a red light with a hot chick sitting in a car next to you..... you get a nice perspective from that point of view

Tom Brown
09-14-2006, 02:27 PM
...pulled up to a red light with a hot chick sitting in a car next to you..... you get a nice perspective from that point of view
Now we're getting somewhere. :cool:

ratso
09-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Because it doesn't look like my dad's truck......
And if you have ever pulled up to a red light with a hot chick sitting in a car next to you..... you get a nice perspective from that point of view
Does your dad's have one of those metal camper shells on it??? :idea:

HocusPocus
09-14-2006, 02:34 PM
i use to do the lift kits when i was younger but gave that up several years ago. i drive them like i buy'em. i have seen some lifted trucks with very crappy kits on them, or lifted 4x trucks with the front drive shaft removed. lifted 2 wheel drive trucks i don't get at all.

Her454
09-14-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm thinking the question should be "Why slam a truck to within an inch of the ground"?
...........And then put 10K worth of air suspension on it so you can drive around looking "cool".
Now thats useless. :rolleyes:

cc322
09-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Cause stock sucks.

Tom Brown
09-14-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm thinking the question should be "Why slam a truck to within an inch of the ground"?
...........And then put 10K worth of air suspension on it so you can drive around looking "cool".
Now thats useless. :rolleyes:
Would you be more inclined to do a guy with a lifted truck, stock height, or lowered? :idea:
I'm going to get a truck in the near future and I'd appreciate some help with what to get. :cool:

Her454
09-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Would you be more inclined to do a guy with a lifted truck, stock height, or lowered? :idea:
I'm going to get a truck in the near future and I'd appreciate some help with what to get. :cool:
Definitly lifted. He's gotta be lookin pretty good if he's driving a stocker and he's shit out of luck if its lowered. :rollside:

Cheap Thrills
09-14-2006, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=Cheap Thrills]Lift kits are like breast implants.
/QUOTE]
I think CT hit the nail on the head!!!! :crossx:
Not only that , but after a few years of abuse they both tend to sag a little :D Nothing worse than a set of saggy implants or a lopsided truck.
C.T. :wink:

Ziggy
09-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Cuz then only a few truckers are able to see you getting road head.

HavasuSelect
09-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I wish I wouldn't have done it. I'll prob never lift it any bigger then 4 inches again. Paying 1,000 for new tires wasn't fun. Not to mention the gas. I know when I get a stock truck I'll prob want it had it lifted.
On another note, if anyone is interested in a clean F-150 lifted 7 inches and new tires shoot me a pm.

AzMandella
09-14-2006, 03:30 PM
To look cool,raise the CG,and wear out u-joints :rollside:

OGShocker
09-14-2006, 03:34 PM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17639&stc=1
That's not a truck.... It's a F.O.R.D. :D

socalmoney
09-14-2006, 03:43 PM
I have an average size penis, I want an above average size truck.
You should only lift your truck if your willing to re-gear it. It cost extra but when your final drive ratio is factory, it is very worth it.

ultra27jay
09-14-2006, 03:54 PM
WHY? because its what we do. and it pays my bills.... :crossx:

Cole Trickle
09-14-2006, 04:01 PM
I have an average size penis, I want an above average size truck.
You should only lift your truck if your willing to re-gear it. It cost extra but when your final drive ratio is factory, it is very worth it.
Gearing dosen't play such a huge roll when you have a Diesel. :p

Danhercules
09-14-2006, 04:04 PM
BRAKES!!!!! Lifted truck need aftermarket brakes too!!!!! Well, Trucks with bigger wheels and tires, but how many lifted trucks run stock tires.
Unless you regear and upgrade the brakes, a lifted truck dose not have the same towing capasity as stock. Even then, the center of gravity is higher, not good for towing heavy.
By the way, lifted trucks look cool. Just not skyjacked!

socalmoney
09-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Gearing dosen't play such a huge roll when you have a Diesel. :p
Good to know, my next truck will be a diesel.

H20 Toie
09-14-2006, 04:28 PM
I lifted it so that it would look cool in the magazine.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2573DansRigSmall.jpg

sleekcraft78
09-14-2006, 07:21 PM
some of your questions or arguments are correct. but it completely depends on the kind of lift, and how its done. i have an 04 f250 crewcab, eleven inches of lift on 37's. as far as tow capacity, it hasn't changed. my truck is all spring, no blocks. the drop hitch is properly sized and rated. i routinely use itto pull a forty foot tag :rollside: car hauler, never had an issue. now why did i lift my truck? why do you boat? because its what you like. many things that people do have absolutely no usefull purpose other than it brings them enjoyment.
Hit it right on the head. My trucks have always been lifted. It's just part of who I am. Why lower a truck? Why build a bigger motor for the boat? Well because we friggin can thats why.
If everyone drives down the same freeway every day and you buy tires once a year or every other year then why isn't there rubber tracks in the roadway?

nodigg
09-14-2006, 07:39 PM
I HATE that my truck is lifted. What a biach to load crap in. Swore I would not do that again and here I am. BUT DANG it has come in handy towing the 15k toy box. I have used the clearance many TIMES. Towing in Mexico, off roading, deep dips and high crowns over the dunes and dez. Have to say...I have worked that thing hard the past year. 62,000 miles ta' boot. NO REASON to lift IMO!

TUNNEL T
09-14-2006, 07:50 PM
so when im in traffic i can see your wifes panties ! duh!!! that's the only reasoin. TUNNEL Thttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2429DSC00477-thumb.JPG