PDA

View Full Version : Convertible top replacement???

bocco
09-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Has anybody chenged their own convertible top on a late model Mustang? How difficult was it? Any tips?
Thanks
Gary

spectras only
09-14-2006, 01:21 PM
I have a 96 that will need one one day. Was told it's in the ballpark of 1G .

bocco
09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
I have a 96 that will need one one day. Was told it's in the ballpark of 1G .
That's why I'm looking at trying it myself. Tops can be had for about $400. So there is 600 or 700 dollars to be saved.

spectras only
09-14-2006, 02:18 PM
The ragtops on older cars were easy to replace ,but these double layer tops could be a PITA to do . Let me know how you making out .

TRIMM MANN
09-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Has anybody chenged their own convertible top on a late model Mustang? How difficult was it? Any tips?
Thanks
Gary
I charge $525.00 for a mustang top and I give a 5 year warranty. Make sure your back glass is in good shape. If your car is 5 years or older you should really think about replacing the glass also.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
I would not try to do it yourself.

bocco
09-14-2006, 07:02 PM
I charge $525.00 for a mustang top and I give a 5 year warranty. Make sure your back glass is in good shape. If your car is 5 years or older you should really think about replacing the glass also.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
I would not try to do it yourself.
If you were about 800 miles closer I'd be in your shop next week. If that $525 is labor and materials it's a great deal.

Misogynist
09-14-2006, 09:23 PM
The trick to installing a convertible top is where you start. You attach it first around the rear near the trunk. Then the fit to the the first bow just above the rear window. This bow has to be near full extension or the top won't close properly. If it is allowed to be at full extension while closed the rear window area will be loose. Then you work your way forward and finish at the header above the windshield. Usuall there is a wire attached along the side windows that has to be attached and adjusted to keep the top from flapping. Don't staple the thing permanently until you are sure of the fit. Most trimmers will only tack the top into place and not do any final cutting until they are sure of the fit. If the top is Haartz cloth ( m/b and bmw) it will stretch a little when in the sun. If it is cheap vinyl like on brit cars (mg or triumph) it will sag like crazy when warm. This really is a better job left for a professional. I've never sewn a top... but I've installed several pre sewn tops. They can be tricky if you've never done one or seen one done.

TRIMM MANN
09-15-2006, 10:58 AM
If you were about 800 miles closer I'd be in your shop next week. If that $525 is labor and materials it's a great deal.
$525.00 is for one of the best tops on the market and it's not a great deal. Some of the shops around here do the same job for $300.00.
Good luck.

bocco
09-15-2006, 01:40 PM
$525.00 is for one of the best tops on the market and it's not a great deal. Some of the shops around here do the same job for $300.00.
Good luck.
Made a few phone calls to upholstery shops in the San Francisco East bay area. Good deal is $800. One as high as $950. Top only. New window is about $600 additional. This is vinyl. Not the high end fabric.
Looks like I can order a top on line for $191.00

Bella
09-15-2006, 02:14 PM
I am looking to get a top done for a 1961 Karmann Ghia in the Phoenix area. PM me if anyone knows someone please!! Sorry for the jack.

dicudmore
09-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Made a few phone calls to upholstery shops in the San Francisco East bay area. Good deal is $800. One as high as $950. Top only. New window is about $600 additional. This is vinyl. Not the high end fabric.
Looks like I can order a top on line for $191.00
sounds like it may be worth the drive down to the "valley" to have it done...
I used to be in the service dept at a few so-cal dealers and for tops I always sent them to Martin's Auto Upholstery in the Canoga Park area. Price was always fair and the work was always good. Had to be, when you send a guys brand new Vette out for a new top you bet your azz they are gonna give it a hard look when it comes back...
BTW Martin's Auto Upholstery is owned/operated by TRIMM MANN

TRIMM MANN
09-15-2006, 03:05 PM
sounds like it may be worth the drive down to the "valley" to have it done...
I used to be in the service dept at a few so-cal dealers and for tops I always sent them to Martin's Auto Upholstery in the Canoga Park area. Price was always fair and the work was always good. Had to be, when you send a guys brand new Vette out for a new top you bet your azz they are gonna give it a hard look when it comes back...
BTW Martin's Auto Upholstery is owned/operated by TRIMM MANN
Thanks Dan,
Now everyone knows...lol :crossx: