PDA

View Full Version : Lightning

gmejia
09-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Opinion On Lightning Boats!!

Jyruiz
09-14-2006, 02:37 PM
You will get opinions on both sides of the fence, but in the end, you are the only one that has to be happy with it. Get a test ride, if you like it and makes you happy, then go for it.

voodoomedman
09-14-2006, 02:51 PM
You will get opinions on both sides of the fence, but in the end, you are the only one that has to be happy with it. Get a test ride, if you like it and makes you happy, then go for it.
Yes you will. Most really don't say anything bad about the boat though. Is it a DCB or Sk8ter? No. Is it going to fall apart? Probably not. The negative things you will hear will be about the owners of the company and their history. Do a search on here and you will see what I'm talking about. Some people get offended when it is said on here of the bad things about the Van Beek's thinking that their personal boat is being attacked. Beaverretriever just got a brand new lightning and his boat looks sweet. Almost as good as his wife.

riverlover
09-14-2006, 03:24 PM
I agree ..very happy with our 21xs... boat looks and runs bitcien...it is the company that we had issues with ..seems they had some personel turnover and the guys that we dealt with are no longer there and the ones left behind are well, let's just say not as nice...

RitcheyRch
09-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Ditto.

socalmofo
09-14-2006, 04:22 PM
I have a 24xs and I am super happy with it. Runs strong!
From my experiences MOST of the people with negative comments have no direct experience (or have an ultra...j/k).

Mandelon
09-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Opinion On Lightning Boats!!
Opinion on a new one or an older one?

FLOJO
09-14-2006, 04:53 PM
all i have to say is go see gav. he is a cool guy and will try to do everthing he can to make you happy.

beaverretriever
09-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Yes you will. Most really don't say anything bad about the boat though. Is it a DCB or Sk8ter? No. Is it going to fall apart? Probably not. The negative things you will hear will be about the owners of the company and their history. Do a search on here and you will see what I'm talking about. Some people get offended when it is said on here of the bad things about the Van Beek's thinking that their personal boat is being attacked. Beaverretriever just got a brand new lightning and his boat looks sweet. Almost as good as his wife.
LOL, thanks Voodoo...
You will be hard pressed to find nicer, up to date gel work. My wife and I are very happy with our boat.
Is it a DCB or a Skater? No, but its also not a 150k plus, plus, plus. Thats like saying "What do you think about the Ford Mustang" and someone saying, "its no Ferrari". :)
We didnt have one problem with anyone there and either has anyone else I know that bought a boat there.
Will our next boat be a Lightning? Who knows, I kind of have my eye on a Howard Bullet in the next few yrs.
Here are a few shots of our 23xs.
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7771/cimg1579640x480zo8.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1403/cimg1553640x480pw2.jpg
and the gratuitous pic of the wife...LOL
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9256/cimg1713gr4.jpg

out of bounds
09-14-2006, 05:35 PM
love my 21lx (Jet) the only problem is that in 03 ultra ran an add advertising this boat for x amount. I had just sold my 87 ultra that week and was starting to look around and there was this ad. I was having the boat trader mail too me from a friend. I got home from work saw the ad and called the store in the valley and the dude said just come and we will take care of you. I told him i lived in sac area and i could be there when he opened at 9 amhe said cool. I left from the dinner table stayed at my buddies and was there a 8:30 he didnt show until 11:15. should have ben clue #1. He said the surf was bittchen.After spending some time there going over all the opt I was off to sac.now 5 weeks later we show up and that when it all started surfer dude "oh man the boss made us put lighting on all the seats".but the sterring wheel and the swim steps all had ultra on them they had even put the ulra stickers on side of the boat. NOT COOL. On the boats id tag there was a tag over the ultra id.ok now I some what pissed and the reg says lighting / ultra???bottom line love the boat.just stay away from surfer dude or double check everything.Now my ??? is it an ultra or a lighting?????

voodoomedman
09-15-2006, 06:06 AM
love my 21lx (Jet) the only problem is that in 03 ultra ran an add advertising this boat for x amount. I had just sold my 87 ultra that week and was starting to look around and there was this ad. I was having the boat trader mail too me from a friend. I got home from work saw the ad and called the store in the valley and the dude said just come and we will take care of you. I told him i lived in sac area and i could be there when he opened at 9 amhe said cool. I left from the dinner table stayed at my buddies and was there a 8:30 he didnt show until 11:15. should have ben clue #1. He said the surf was bittchen.After spending some time there going over all the opt I was off to sac.now 5 weeks later we show up and that when it all started surfer dude "oh man the boss made us put lighting on all the seats".but the sterring wheel and the swim steps all had ultra on them they had even put the ulra stickers on side of the boat. NOT COOL. On the boats id tag there was a tag over the ultra id.ok now I some what pissed and the reg says lighting / ultra???bottom line love the boat.just stay away from surfer dude or double check everything.Now my ??? is it an ultra or a lighting?????
Find out the real HIN # and if it's a UCU it's definately an Ultra hull. You can PM your HIN to Ultra28 and he can tell you if it's his or not. The valley store was a bare hull dealer but JW sold the Lightning line to them and does not deal with them anymore. There is a reason that all Ultra's built now are rigged and completely built at the factory in El Cajon. Your story is one. Now that the ordeal is over with though if it floats, runs and you and your family are safe on it and enjoy it then that is the important thing.

CBadDad
09-15-2006, 06:36 AM
Here ya go....everything you ever wanted to know about Lightning boats and then some.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111440

beaverretriever
09-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Here ya go....everything you ever wanted to know about Lightning boats and then some.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111440
LOL, I read that damn thread 5 times before I decided to even talk to Lightning. The funny thing is, almost everyone who owns a Lightning built in the past 2 yrs or so is extremely happy.
I took a chance on Lightning and my wife and I couldnt be happier. They treated us real well and we got a great boat.
One of the main reasons I chose Lightning was I really wanted a good looking boat with up to date gel work. Im real suprised how out of date many of the other companies gel work is. I mean some so called "great builders" offer the worst looking gel coats I have ever seen, bad fades, ugly colors, and overall really bad designs. I cant believe some of the work some companies actually put on their web sites. If their paint/gel work is any indication of how the rest of the boat is going to turn out, I wouldnt want to purchase it.
As for fit and finish. Pretty good. There are always things that could be better. I wouldnt say they were any worse than the other companies I looked at. (I didnt look at DCB btw, it was a little out of my price range by 150,000.) ;)
I looked at a ton of boats. Lighting offered pretty good industry standard stuff. Hand laid glass, full length stringers, tripple stiched interiors, zip ties...LOL.
Again, its not an Outerlimits (lol, I was sick of using DCB), but we are real happy. Will it be our next boat.... who knows, but for now it sure is fun.!!!!!!

78 challenger
09-15-2006, 08:17 AM
People who own Lightning boats are very happy with the boats they have purchased. People who do not own Lightning talk bad about the company. All of the Hot Boat tests for Lightning come back with very high marks on the quality and performance of the boats. I am buying one.
P.S. surf was good is the only true reason to excuse someone for being late.

Dan Lorenze
09-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Beaver, I had no idea you went with the Lightning... Very cool.. Your boat looks great!! I've been up there and have talked to Jason a few times, I've looked and crawled all around those boats, I think they do a real nice job. I see at least a coulple of Lightnings everytime I go out, people seem to be very happy with them. My Ultra came from them too when they were an Ultra dealer... Funny, a simple "search" for Lighting boats on HB will send a guy into hours of drama including JW,the VanBeeks,Genesis,Utra etc.... Enough to make your head spin... haha :) Have fun....
Dan

Havasu_Dreamin
09-15-2006, 08:38 AM
The main 'issue' that some people have with Lightning is concerned are the principals, not the boats themselves. If you like the boat, it serves YOUR needs and use and you have no other reasons to look elsewhere, go for it. Afterall, you're the one paying for it.....

socalmofo
09-15-2006, 10:30 AM
People who own Lightning boats are very happy with the boats they have purchased. People who do not own Lightning talk bad about the company. All of the Hot Boat tests for Lightning come back with very high marks on the quality and performance of the boats. I am buying one.
P.S. surf was good is the only true reason to excuse someone for being late.
This is very true.
I was very concerned when buying a Lightning because of some things I heard on this board. I have over 40 hours on my boat this year and all I have done is blow a fuse. Before I knew I blew a fuse the guys at lightning had a shop in Havasu ready to fix and also offered a FREE 50 hour servise for my troubles.
Made me pretty happy. That situation alone went against all the things I read on ***boat. I am very pleased with the boat. My family has had a great summer on it and enjoyed in thoroughly.

voodoomedman
09-15-2006, 11:17 AM
LOL, I read that damn thread 5 times before I decided to even talk to Lightning. The funny thing is, almost everyone who owns a Lightning built in the past 2 yrs or so is extremely happy.
I took a chance on Lightning and my wife and I couldnt be happier. They treated us real well and we got a great boat.
One of the main reasons I chose Lightning was I really wanted a good looking boat with up to date gel work. Im real suprised how out of date many of the other companies gel work is. I mean some so called "great builders" offer the worst looking gel coats I have ever seen, bad fades, ugly colors, and overall really bad designs. I cant believe some of the work some companies actually put on their web sites. If their paint/gel work is any indication of how the rest of the boat is going to turn out, I wouldnt want to purchase it.
As for fit and finish. Pretty good. There are always things that could be better. I wouldnt say they were any worse than the other companies I looked at. (I didnt look at DCB btw, it was a little out of my price range by 150,000.) ;)
I looked at a ton of boats. Lighting offered pretty good industry standard stuff. Hand laid glass, full length stringers, tripple stiched interiors, zip ties...LOL.
Again, its not an Outerlimits (lol, I was sick of using DCB), but we are real happy. Will it be our next boat.... who knows, but for now it sure is fun.!!!!!!
Great post!!!

voodoomedman
09-15-2006, 11:18 AM
I am very pleased with the boat. My family has had a great summer on it and enjoyed in thoroughly.
That's the most important thing right there.

out of bounds
09-15-2006, 08:44 PM
love my lighting / ultra and would buy another if they came out with a 23 deck or something aroud there.and if i didnt have to deal with surfer dude. not that is a bad thing i grew up the captin of the surf team in hight school.just not good when you are spending 40g.show me that you some what care.

voodoomedman
09-15-2006, 08:48 PM
love my lighting / ultra and would buy another if they came out with a 23 deck or something aroud there.and if i didnt have to deal with surfer dude. not that is a bad thing i grew up the captin of the surf team in hight school.just not good when you are spending 40g.show me that you some what care.
Ummmm. Ultra. The real Ultra has a 23 Shadow deck. I promise you that you will get an Ultra HIN and it will be an Ultra. As far as Sales guys. Take your pick. John W., John D., Steve or Barry. All highly regarded.

all faded
09-15-2006, 09:35 PM
A buddy has the 25 lightning, rigging is great and it also runs well.