PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Guys Do It?

1quickjet
02-08-2002, 02:57 PM
Help me out here V-Drivers. I go to Parker all the time, have driven/ridden in numerous brands of boats and sizes, vees and tunnels. On Saturday afternoons as everyone knows, the water is very rough. All of these boats I speak of, ride rough. I drool all day long over all the Bad Blown Schiadas that pretty much rule parker. What I don't understand is how those 21' V-Drive Schaidas all haul ass across that chop and appear to be riding smoother than any boat on the water. Do all of them have ballast tanks? I know they are a rough water bred boat mfg, but so is Hallett, in which I often go to Parker in a 210 open bow, and it still gets tossed around pretty good. They all look trimmed in, in the rough stuff, but so is everyone. You guys run balls out anyway. Is Schiada that superior of a rough water boat? Or is it drive type related?

spectras only
02-08-2002, 03:12 PM
Schiadas are built tough ,I run my 20 spectra in the rough [ocean]occasionally with the aid of bennett tabs no problem.The key is in the bottom layup of these boats.The spectra has a 1" solid handlaid fiberglass bottom at the keel and the sides are solid 3/8 with up to 1/2 inch in critical areas.Full lenght stringers help too.The V-drive's shaft angle helps to keep the schiada at a comfortable level.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited February 08, 2002).]

superdave013
02-08-2002, 04:16 PM
Yes, I think the drive line angle seems to have alot to do with it. The same boat in an I/O seems to get tossed more and has more bow rise than the v-drive version. Also the plates have a lot of surface are and when you tuck then down a bit it keeps the nose down.
They can take the pounding too. My 20' is around 1" thick with 4 full length stringers.
I know I'm judgemental but I think that Schiada got the bottom right also. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
The trade off is price. You do pay extra for one. I bought mine used and could have spent way less and got a nice boat. Every time I drive it I know I got the right one for me.

burtandnancy
02-08-2002, 05:33 PM
Leonard Schiada developed this hull over 30 years ago and its still on top of the heap today. A 21 Schiada will outrun (in rough water) nearly any 24 or 25 footer today.
When ski racing got hot, a few guys like Billy Dunsmore and Gary Teague started adding a lot of horsepower, improving the two or three speed automatics usually installed by Schiada, changing the balance slightly, and doing a lot of tricks with the rudder, and the pair or two pair of plates. Whats really fun to do with these day-cruisers is put a hatch and back seat in, and cruise around looking for someone to try to pass you. Not many V bottoms in any size can do it. Be real careful of any Schiada that doesn't make a lot of noise. Its most likely to be turboed!

boatguy222
02-08-2002, 07:53 PM
My dad knew Leonord and bought several boats from him (at least 10 or 12) before he passed away, He has always told the story that Leonard had a friend who ran a wind tunnel at Lockheed, when Leonard was building the plug for the mold for the 21, he took to the wind tunnel several times, before the boat was but into production, that is why are still the top of the line after 30 years!
Marc

SPECTRABRENT
02-08-2002, 08:05 PM
1Quickjet,
I think any 20 & 21 v-drive cruiser will ride better in rough water, not just a Schiada. I have been in 20&21 Schiada, 20 Spectra/Howard, 21 Hallett, 21 Rayson Craft and even the 20 foot Campbell (almost a flat bottom) properly set up they all ride like they are on tracks.
Brent

e-ticket
02-08-2002, 11:52 PM
old rigger
Where is BK boat repair?

superdave013
02-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by old rigger:
By the way SD, I saw you boat on barneys site and was wondering if you were going to cap that thing while you were having all that work done?
[This message has been edited by old rigger (edited February 09, 2002).]
I don't know the guy. I might know the face though. I am not going to cap it. I see no reason to as it will always have a rub rail.
remember, this is going to be my everyday lake boat.
But, what did you think about the progress so far?

burtandnancy
02-09-2002, 02:20 PM
spectrabrent
I loved my 20 Campbell, and it was set up right, but was really only happy in fairly smooth water. Hey, I took the 40' Campbell to Catalina a few times, and if it got rough the Campbell would launch! Spectra's started with a little more V and rode well as we both know. I raced Rayson's and they were the best turning of them all. Today, almost nothing can run with a Gary Teague built 210 Hallett with one of his turbo motors. Right?

SPECTRABRENT
02-09-2002, 03:40 PM
I would say your right about the Hallett 210 being he best 20 to 21 foot hull on the market today. Nobody designed a better boat than Bud Bailey.
Brent

spectras only
02-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Guys, I'm looking for some info for a friend.He sold the mould and patterns of his 29 foot model [he doesn't build boats over 24 anymore]to someone in Laguna Beach ,and want to know what happened with it? If the name IN/XS ring the bell ,please let me know.This person apperently splashed a 21 foot model of a very well known boat builder's boat from the LA area [who isn't very happy about it].I don't want to blow this out of proportion with speculaton,just wonder if anyone have info.Here's a shot of the original [wood decker].Maybe Old Rigger would recognize it.Thanks http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Pc140055.jpg
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited February 09, 2002).]

boatguy222
02-09-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by superdave013:
Originally posted by old rigger:
By the way SD, I saw you boat on barneys site and was wondering if you were going to cap that thing while you were having all that work done?
[This message has been edited by old rigger (edited February 09, 2002).]
I don't know the guy. I might know the face though. I am not going to cap it. I see no reason to as it will always have a rub rail.
remember, this is going to be my everyday lake boat.
But, what did you think about the progress so far?
SD,
What are you going to use for a rub rail? I've gotta do the same thing, I have gotten the aluminum stuff from L&L Marine before, but it's not really what I want now. I am thinking Stainless? but I am not sure if it's even made? any Ideas?
Thanks,
Marc

1quickjet
02-09-2002, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Rigger, only curious, how does the 21' Schiada perform as a jet? Don't mean to start a jet based thread, its just that you guys are much cooler than the jet folks lately. Entirely too much trash talkin' going on over there. Not enough tech, too much BS. Thanks. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

SPECTRABRENT
02-09-2002, 09:22 PM
I have only seen 4 or 5 20 or 21 foot Schiadas as jets. Schiada may not want to waste time building a jet boat. I have seen 3 in the Boat Trader in the last 6 mos as jets. There is one in this weeks with a 455 Olds & Berkeley combo.
Brent

mario
02-09-2002, 10:06 PM
Didn't I here Schiada is providing the boat for the twin jet project That Bruce Harold is working on.

superdave013
02-10-2002, 05:08 PM
[/QUOTE]
SD,
What are you going to use for a rub rail? I've gotta do the same thing, I have gotten the aluminum stuff from L&L Marine before, but it's not really what I want now. I am thinking Stainless? but I am not sure if it's even made? any Ideas?
Thanks,
Marc [/B][/QUOTE]
Marc, One of the only things I am re-using is the rub rail. It's more like a piece of trim as you would not want it to rub your boat! (it's an un-friendly rub rail http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif ) But it's in perfect shape and is S.S.
It's through bolted with s.s. bolts and nylocks! Maybe Old Rigger knows where to get the stuff.
I will not be using the second bow eye that the guy before me installed!
http://www.havasubarney.com/gallery/albums/album21/Dsc00197_2.sized.jpg
[This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited February 10, 2002).]

boatguy222
02-10-2002, 07:09 PM
SD,
Yea, I have seen the stuff before, It looks nice, If anyone knows where to get it, I would like to know. Mine is junk!
Thanks,
Marc

spectras only
02-11-2002, 10:35 AM
My 72 spectra came with anodized aluminum with "T" bolts every 8 inches.I'll try to find out who would have them in SS .Love the smooth look of the original.

e-ticket
02-11-2002, 11:27 AM
boatguy222
I have an L&L Catalog (old-97-98). They have the molding like Sd has. "Type 304 marine grade stainless stee. Overlaps are buffed and polished. Drilled and countersunk for #8 screws on 6" centers."
TAC-S11-4510P12 3/4" x 12 ft Hollow Back SS
TAC-S11-4650P12 1" x 12 ft Hollow Back SS
Phone# 1-800-969-PARTS
Hope this is a little help.
I didn see any like Daves without screw holes.
[This message has been edited by e-ticket (edited February 11, 2002).]

Thunderbutt
02-11-2002, 04:28 PM
Dave, why do you have two bow eyes? Originally posted by superdave013:
SD,
Thanks,
Marc [/QUOTE]
Marc, One of the only things I am re-using is the rub rail. It's more like a piece of trim as you would not want it to rub your boat! (it's an un-friendly rub rail http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif ) But it's in perfect shape and is S.S.
It's through bolted with s.s. bolts and nylocks! Maybe Old Rigger knows where to get the stuff.
I will not be using the second bow eye that the guy before me installed!
http://www.havasubarney.com/gallery/albums/album21/Dsc00197_2.sized.jpg
[This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited February 10, 2002).][/B][/QUOTE]

boatguy222
02-11-2002, 05:32 PM
hey guys,
thanks for the replys,I haveto dig deeper in the L&L catalog.
Marc

superdave013
02-12-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Thunderbutt:
Dave, why do you have two bow eyes?
Why? Well I feel like I rescued this boat. The guy I bought it from was proud of the fact that he put in that extra bow eye! Those holes along with the other 10,000 are getting filled as we speak!

eliminator777
02-23-2002, 07:47 AM
Well my boy I had a picklefork jet for 25 years look in oct 2000 hot boat.Ive restored a 21ft. eliminator cruiser rides like a big boat.and it fast.its all how it sits in the water.no more jets for me.