PDA

View Full Version : Fired my bug man, Black Widow vs Scorpion

Magic34
09-14-2006, 11:11 PM
What do you think wins over the other with all options considered for each nasty bug/insect or whatever the creepy things are?
I have been gone on and off for the past 2 weeks. I have landscapers, so I really have not even looked out back in my yard in the past 2 weeks since I have only been in town for about 6 of the 14 days.
Anyways, I went out there tonight and saw a spiderweb from a chair down to one of my kid's toys.
Here is a picture I took of what was on the web. The picture turned out really good after I cropped it down. I wasn't too close because I am a puss with this crap.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4368IMG_0471-med.jpg
And the challenger.......
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4368IMG_0472-med.jpg
So needless to say, if there is something that ties up scorpions and suspends them in the air... 1 of 3 things are happening for me. First the bug guy is fired and I'm finding one that works. Second, I'm scared sh*tless because I hate scorpions and now knowing there is something worse... #$&#$(*&#%#($&#()$^@&$#^..... Third, I may burn my house down and start over.

Magic34
09-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Oh, the camera is a Canon Digital Rebel XT. Ths was with the stock 55mm lens if anyone cares.

Cheap Thrills
09-14-2006, 11:18 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4368IMG_0472-med.jpg
You have some real problems if that spider got into your house and stole that hershey's kiss from your candy dish for it's desert.:D
Well looks like a hershey's kiss....
C.T. :wink:

Outnumbered
09-14-2006, 11:19 PM
I've been bitching about my bug guy lately too. He has been using Bayer Suspend which does not seem to last outdoors. He tells me he is upgrading to a "new" chemical this month. I pretty much decided to give him one last chance. We don't see any bugs, spiders, etc for about 2 weeks after he sprays and then its as if he was never here. So if this new shiznit does not last 30 days I am going to have to find a new guy or have someone come every two weeks.

Rod-64
09-14-2006, 11:37 PM
I've been not too happy with my bugman too............I always wonder if I pay him 26 clams a month just to shoot water all over the place. How can you know for sure what ratio he uses unless you see him do it which you can't since it's all "mixed" in the tanks already. :mad:

Rod-64
09-14-2006, 11:40 PM
I've been bitching about my bug guy lately too. He has been using Bayer Suspend which does not seem to last outdoors. He tells me he is upgrading to a "new" chemical this month. I pretty much decided to give him one last chance. We don't see any bugs, spiders, etc for about 2 weeks after he sprays and then its as if he was never here. So if this new shiznit does not last 30 days I am going to have to find a new guy or have someone come every two weeks.
Seems everyone's "upgrading." Cell phone sucks and they sat they're upgrading/adding towers.....been hearing this for a year now. The voice don't match the faces on the local HD channels on Dish and they say they are upgrading. I think upgrade is a new term for bullsh*t. :rolleyes: This site does upgrades and it runs slower. :crossx:

RiverRatMike
09-15-2006, 12:39 AM
having your house sprayed by some business is a waste of money to me. I do it myself once a year painless and easy and no problems.

poncho-pwr
09-15-2006, 12:40 AM
Okay, if you want to rid your house of spiders and scorpions take notes.... Quit buying and using grocery store bought pesticides or stuff from Home Depot, it doesn't work. You need to spray a product like Demon WP,
Cynoff WP, or Suspend SC. A lot of times you can buy it at farm and ranch type stores or you can get it at Estes Chemicals www.estesinc.com if you have one around. Some pest control companies also sell small amounts of product directly to home owners so that is another place to try. The main thing is to get the other pests that spiders and scorpions like to eat under control(the above sprays work well on a broad variety of pests) and then watch for cob webs in and around cracks and crevices, eves, and overhangs as well as anything sitting around outside near patios and porches that isn't moved very often. Anytime you see any little web build up be sure and thoroughly remove it. Inspect all of your window screens, screen doors, and all other potential entry points to your home near flower beds, wood piles and things of that nature to make sure they are in good shape and don't have any little tears in them. Seal up around windows and vents with good caulking/silicone and put pest mesh behind any vents into your attic or roof. If you do these things and use those products you will be much happier with what does and doesn't reside in your home.

Outnumbered
09-15-2006, 12:48 AM
My guy uses Suspend SC and it only lasts 2 weeks. He's layin it down heavy too.

poncho-pwr
09-15-2006, 12:52 AM
It is probably time for your guy to rotate out to a different chemical, you may be having a tolerance issue. Also, Delta Dust works well and can be blown into a lot of areas that it is hard to get to. it also has a good residual.

Outnumbered
09-15-2006, 01:02 AM
It is probably time for your guy to rotate out to a different chemical, you may be having a tolerance issue. Also, Delta Dust works well and can be blown into a lot of areas that it is hard to get to. it also has a good residual.
That may be it. We are going on three years and it seems to be a recent problem. I believe he uses delta dust when we have ants in the block wall. Seems to work well.
Thanks!

Rexone
09-15-2006, 02:26 AM
I've been using Diazinon and it seems to work well but I can't find it any more and am about out :( Used to buy at Home Depot from Spectracide. They must have banned it for comsumer sale or something.
It's black widow season too right now (they seem to thrive in late summer). 2x4 and foot control works well too. I hate those bastards.

RitcheyRch
09-15-2006, 04:05 AM
I'm on the fence about hiring a bug man. Been getting a lot of ants and spiders lately. Wondering if my money would be better spent on getting the chemicals myself and spraying or having a pro do it.

topless
09-15-2006, 04:31 AM
I've been using Diazinon and it seems to work well but I can't find it any more and am about out :( Used to buy at Home Depot from Spectracide. They must have banned it for comsumer sale or something.
It's black widow season too right now (they seem to thrive in late summer). 2x4 and foot control works well too. I hate those bastards.Diazinon works great but you're right, you can't buy it here anymore because of the tree huggers movement. When I had indoor dogs, I even used it on my carpet before I vacuumed to kill fleas. I think they still sell it in Texas so maybe Ratso could send ya some or next time I go, I can pick up a shit load. (that should go over well at the airport too)

Rexone
09-15-2006, 04:35 AM
I'm on the fence about hiring a bug man. Been getting a lot of ants and spiders lately. Wondering if my money would be better spent on getting the chemicals myself and spraying or having a pro do it.
I had a bugman (terminex) but quit several years ago. Was paying $35 a mo for what I can do in about 20 min once a mo myself. They were doing nothing special, just spraying.

RitcheyRch
09-15-2006, 04:38 AM
Thanks. Guess will stick to doing it myself with the stuff you can get at Lowes and Home Depot.
I had a bugman (terminex) but quit several years ago. Was paying $35 a mo for what I can do in about 20 min once a mo myself. They were doing nothing special, just spraying.

Rexone
09-15-2006, 04:38 AM
Diazinon works great but you're right, you can't buy it here anymore because of the tree huggers movement. When I had indoor dogs, I even used it on my carpet before I vacuumed to kill fleas. I think they still sell it in Texas so maybe Ratso couls send ya some or next time I go, I can pick up a shit load. (that should go over well at the airport too)
I wonder if Country Farm Supply has it in Chino.
I also use Durasban for fleas. I have some of that left. :crossx: Haven't seen it either in Home Depot for awhile. It is (or used to be) a primary ingrediant of most dog flea sprays sold in pet stores (at about 10 times the HD price).
friggin tree huggers.
I still have a pellet gun for the snakes though. They haven't outlawed that (yet). :mad:
Headline: AP News... Female named Topless from Norco, CA apprehended at Houston Intl Airport attempting to board aircraft with 55 bottles of lethal insecticide suspected Al Quida sleeper cell member, in temporary custody at Guantonimo Bay holding facility.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-15-2006, 04:39 AM
I've found one thing with any Bayer product, it usually doesn't work.
Insectacides, fertilizers, herbacides,, all useless, even their asprin does nothing.

topless
09-15-2006, 04:41 AM
I also use Durasban for fleas. I have some of that left. :crossx: Haven't seen it either in Home Depot for awhile. It is (or used to be) a primary ingrediant of most dog flea sprays sold in pet stores (at about 10 times the HD price).
friggin tree huggers.
I still have a pellet gun for the snakes though. They haven't outlawed that (yet). :mad:My bad!!! LOL, it was Durasban for the fleas and Diazinon outside but it's been so long that I had forgotten. What do ya say we get our pellet guns together and shoot those damn tree huggers in the ass?

Rexone
09-15-2006, 04:43 AM
My bad!!! LOL, it was Durasban for the fleas and Diazinon outside but it's been so long that I had forgotten. What do ya say we get our pellet guns together and shoot those damn tree huggers in the ass?
Or perhaps my Mossberg with some #6 duck Mags.

topless
09-15-2006, 04:49 AM
Or perhaps my Mossberg with some #6 duck Mags.That would be much more effective.

voodoomedman
09-15-2006, 05:46 AM
friggin tree huggers.
I still have a pellet gun for the snakes though. They haven't outlawed that (yet). :mad:
Headline: AP News... Female named Topless from Norco, CA apprehended at Houston Intl Airport attempting to board aircraft with 55 bottles of lethal insecticide suspected Al Quida sleeper cell member, in temporary custody at Guantonimo Bay holding facility.
Country Farm Supply is like 3/4's of a mile away from my house. That place rocks but I doubt they would have something illegal. They will however probably have something that works real good and explain it to you in detail. I used to do my own spraying but I find I don't have the time and it goes for months. Never had a problem with Havasu Pest Control for the Havi house. Bought a brand new house in here in December and after we got ants in February I called around and we went with Contractors. Boy do you get what you pay for. After terrible customer service and getting ants inside the house for the third time on Wednesday I called them out for a respray and got a load of crap from them so I fired them and called Antimite. Awesome service people on the phone and they had a guy out the same day to kill the ants and lay down a load of pesticide everywhere. They also spray the yard and stuff and Contractors never did. My in laws have had Antimite for years and years and never a problem. I guess I thought bug companies were bug companies. Boy was I wrong. Sometimes you just can't penny pinch.

atxwrangler
09-15-2006, 06:17 AM
I Agree With The Use Of Demon Wp.that Stuff Will Kick The Scorpions Where It Hurts.i Totally Rided My Scorpion Infested House With It A Couple Of Years Ago.you Need To Spray It All Over The Attic/rafters Etc, As Well As Inside On All Base Boards. It's Colorless And Odorless.on The Black Widows,we Had A Breakout Of Those At Work,the Guy Told Us They Were Harder To Kill,because You Had To Hit Them With A Direct Dose Because Spiders Don't Groom Themselves Like Other Bugs.so,if You Miss One He Will Walk Through The Poisen,but,it Will Never Kill Him!

phebus
09-15-2006, 06:28 AM
I get an occasional scorpion, but what we have a lot of are centipedes. I haven't been stung (bitten?), but I heard it hurts as much or more then a scorpion.

Itsahobby
09-15-2006, 06:29 AM
It was banned by the FDA :cry: I am on my last jug, myself :skull:
It's black widow season too right now (they seem to thrive in late summer). 2x4 and foot control works well too. I hate those bastards.

TRIMMIN
09-15-2006, 06:50 AM
If you can get your hands on Talstar One you can really kick some ass. It ain't cheap but you get what you pay for. I think you could order it online. I go around the house with the granular PL first, then spray the insecticide. Nothing lives through that. I hate to spray indoors so I try to stop them at point of entry.