PDA

View Full Version : Any LS/RCE's in here

buzzaro
09-15-2006, 03:37 PM
with an idea what the general pay rate is in most of the office positions? Basically Im looking to get some office experience so I can sit for my license. The guy that went in before me took over a $10/hr pay cut and Im not sure I can swing that. So I am trying to get a better idea of what my negotiating options are, should I immediatly start cussing? haggle? look at another company? Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.

buzzaro
09-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Is everyone in boats, real estate or law enforcement? No regular office pukes?

buzzaro
09-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Ok, anyone back in the office?

Captain Dan
09-18-2006, 03:22 PM
with an idea what the general pay rate is in most of the office positions? Basically Im looking to get some office experience so I can sit for my license. The guy that went in before me took over a $10/hr pay cut and Im not sure I can swing that. So I am trying to get a better idea of what my negotiating options are, should I immediatly start cussing? haggle? look at another company? Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Pay is commensurate with experience. Which license are you trying to gain, LS or RCE? Do you know AutoCAD? The more productive you are, the higher your billable rate and as a result, your pay. If you tell me your experience level, I can tell you what I would pay you in SoCal.

CornWater
09-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Need alot more info to give you an answer. How much experience? Type of engineering? Residential, commercial, industrial, etc.. Degree?

UltraLucky
09-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Office pay rates are based on experience just as field rates are. It all comes down to how productive you can become in a resonable amount of time. The employer may be willing to work with you if he thinks your going to stick around & continue with to be an asset to the company. The other option is to try to negotiate working part time office part time field I do this with some of my Party chiefs so they can be prepared for licensure I also encourage college courses in Boundary & Adv. problems.

buzzaro
09-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Pay is commensurate with experience. Which license are you trying to gain, LS or RCE? Do you know AutoCAD? The more productive you are, the higher your billable rate and as a result, your pay. If you tell me your experience level, I can tell you what I would pay you in SoCal.
Basically im a field guy, going for LS, got all experience to sit for LS exam except the office, including LSIT. Been in the field for 6 years, 4 of it chiefing. Not much CAD experience but know GPS pretty well.

CornWater
09-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Basically im a field guy, going for LS, got all experience to sit for LS except the office including LSIT. Been in the field for 6 years, 3 of it cheifing. Not much CAD experience but know GPS pretty well.
Any mapping experience? Ability to prepare Legals and Plats? Im looking for a office surveying position, but mapping experience is a must.
Edit, nevermind, I see you are from NorCal...

buzzaro
09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Any mapping experience? Ability to prepare Legals and Plats? Im looking for a office surveying position, but mapping experience is a must.
No, dont really have much knowledge of office at all, I came out of the Ironworkers into surveying and have been in the field the whole time. Basically, I am just more ambitious and motivated than most and learn very quickly. Im currently working for one of the larger CE/surveying/mapping companies in the Sacramento/BayArea and was a party chief for them in a little over two years (from absolutely 0 surveying experience). Im familiar with everything youve mentioned just have no experience doing any of it :cry:

buzzaro
09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Edit, nevermind, I see you are from NorCal...
Hehe, ya I dont think my wife would be into a move.

UltraLucky
09-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Have you taken any of the LS review courses ? Have you approached the survey Dept. Head & let them know what direction you want to go. They should be willing to work you in part time but your going to have to give a bit on wages in the beg. to gain experience.

buzzaro
09-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Have you taken any of the LS review courses ? Have you approached the survey Dept. Head & let them know what direction you want to go. They should be willing to work you in part time but your going to have to give a bit on wages in the beg. to gain experience.
Yes, ive talked to the LS running the survey dept, and there are two of us that are working to get office experience, they are paying him 18/hr which is a very, very large paycut for me. Thats why Im trying to get an idea of what some of the pay rates for this position are so I know what I can negotiate with. If I feel like they are trying to get something for nothing then Ill be pissed and go to another company which I would rather not do, but occasionally I get hot-headed and make FU type decisions.