PDA

View Full Version : Montana's in Havi

Ziggy
09-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Who's eaten there and what was your experience?
Ours: Sorry, we have no prime rib or potatoes tonight. 4 loud sighs of disappointment after salavating about the prospect of a juicy piece of meat.
After having to restudy the menu we ordered.
4 of the 9 dishes served to us did or should have been returned.
Sad, because I have heard good about the place but this time it was not.
I will say though, my top sirloin was tasty.......Guess I ordered the right thing :)

Jyruiz
09-18-2006, 02:38 PM
I have not been there in several years, but use to go there all the time and it was always good, no matter what I had.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
09-18-2006, 02:39 PM
I have been there millions of times and something little is allways wrong but hands down best bread sticks I have ever had. They never run out of beer either. I like the fact you can always get in quick and they are very fair with the prices. I allways find little things wrong at Chabones and the bill is way out of controll.
My buddy out there also gets to take the waitresses home too. I think he has done 3 or 4 of them now!!

Captain Dan
09-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Sirloin tips with wasabi butter appetizer is extremely tasty.......... :)

djunkie
09-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Ours: Sorry, we have no prime rib or potatoes tonight. 4 loud sighs of disappointment after salavating about the prospect of a juicy piece of meat.
I will say though, my top sirloin was tasty.......Guess I ordered the right thing :)
Thats why 99% of the time I cook my own dinners at the house. I'm usually too tired to go out to eat after being on the lake all day. Nice to sit back, fire up the bbq, and have a few beers. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

No Name
09-18-2006, 02:55 PM
I’ve been there two times and I won’t be making a third trip ever…..It’ about the same as the Sizzler, plastic glasses and all.

HavasuSelect
09-18-2006, 02:59 PM
If you want a really good steak try out the "Golden Horseshoe" It's on the North side of town but I don't know the exact street.
Just to stay on topic when I went to Montana's they ran out of breadsticks. Good food none the less.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Personally I prefer The 'Shoe. Rumors has the best ribs in town though.

RiverRatMike
09-18-2006, 03:14 PM
My experiance?
It's a rip off!

lalhc
09-18-2006, 03:33 PM
I haven't been to Montana's in over 5 years. Prior to that it was highly recommended to me, but my wife and I were not impressed at all. Whenever I wanted a great steak I used to go to Homestead. What's that place like now? My wife freaked out the first time I took her to Homestead. You could always find the owner slapping his prized steaks on the grill w/one hand and a cigarette in the other :crossx:

SummitKarl
09-18-2006, 03:53 PM
My experiance?
It's a rip off!
agreed....tourist trap.....my rib-eye sucked, and the mash potatoes were SOOOOOO dry they almost blew away, presentation value was awful, I let out a sigh of disappointment as my plate was put on the table :yuk:
Rod's Homestead just south of Montana FRICKIN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!
and Sourdough LIL's is mighty good as well
oh Mike I talked to the boss today..... :) see you soon :cool:

SummitKarl
09-18-2006, 04:03 PM
I haven't been to Montana's in over 5 years. Prior to that it was highly recommended to me, but my wife and I were not impressed at all. Whenever I wanted a great steak I used to go to Homestead. What's that place like now? My wife freaked out the first time I took her to Homestead. You could always find the owner slapping his prized steaks on the grill w/one hand and a cigarette in the other :crossx:
that's almost word for word how I described it to Ziggy and crew Sat night, I wish I had spoke up before we went in, but that's where the crew wanted to go :rolleyes:
Rod's is the hands-down winner on the rib-eyes, ashes and all :)

Garrddogg
09-18-2006, 04:24 PM
that has been our experience a few times..
Go to homestead house aka Rods! much better, but Rod isnt cookin anymore he has one of his girls cookin now!

Ziggy
09-18-2006, 04:37 PM
So I guess it sounds more like 5 of the 9 meals served should have been sent back. :rolleyes: Even my wife said the next day her $1 BK Jr Whooper was better than her $9 Montana Burger.
Live and Learn........like Karl said, its where the consensus led us to eat.
BREAD STICKS??????? They must have been out of those too, we never saw nor heard about them while there. I love breadsticks.
Golden Horseshoe, I like peanuts as much as breadsticks... :D I'll stick with what I know works next time.
HavasuSelect---its on London Bridge Rd.;)

Eliminator 4 Life
09-18-2006, 05:21 PM
I have been there millions of times and something little is allways wrong but hands down best bread sticks I have ever had. They never run out of beer either. I like the fact you can always get in quick and they are very fair with the prices. I allways find little things wrong at Chabones and the bill is way out of controll.
My buddy out there also gets to take the waitresses home too. I think he has done 3 or 4 of them now!!
Arent they all toothless from Bullhead haha :)

nodigg
09-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Go to Rod's instead.

HocusPocus
09-18-2006, 06:12 PM
use to eat there years ago, but we had a couple bad meals there and decided to go elsewhere from then on. my wifes dad still goes there and enjoys it but he is old and probably has no taste buds left. :rollside:

Bradman
09-18-2006, 06:20 PM
If you want a really good steak try out the "Golden Horseshoe" It's on the North side of town but I don't know the exact street.
Just to stay on topic when I went to Montana's they ran out of breadsticks. Good food none the less.
I agree with HavasuSelect. Golden Horseshoe blows Montana's out of the water. Golden Horseshoe is off of London Bridge Road.

lalhc
09-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Looks like I need to visit Rod's for old times sake :rollside:

Trailer Park Casanova
09-18-2006, 07:04 PM
http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-276978/??&t=0
^^^^^^^^^^^Write your review here^^^^^^^^^^^^
Our kids don't like to eat out, so it's just the squeeze and I & we pull out all the stops and go to Rods or Cha bonz or Crystals.

hava life
09-18-2006, 07:18 PM
We have been going there for about 4 years now. I think we look at the place like a challenge, you never know if they will have what you want or if it will be good service. You must have been there sat. I wanted the prime rid but they were out ended up with the filet instead. My long island ice tea tasted like the bartender had no clue.We got use to not having a great dinner every time we go but it is close to the house and if I don't feel like bbqing at the house we will sometimes go there.

LHC30Victory
09-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Montna's sucks :skull: If ya want a good steak go to Homestead just down the road or to the Golden Horseshoe (I went there when I was in High School). For Ribs, try the Frigate :)

RiverPirate
09-18-2006, 09:30 PM
I guess we have always been lucky at Montana's, usually once or twice a year, no complaints. I like the Golden Horseshoe myself, but you have to be real patient waiting your food, whick is ok I guess.....more time to drink. Ted I concur on the Frigate.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Wasn't the Horseshoe outta business for a spell?
We liked it, but got outta the habit of going and never went back.
Used to have dancing too, I recall.

Ziggy
09-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Montna's sucks :skull: If ya want a good steak go to Homestead just down the road or to the Golden Horseshoe (I went there when I was in High School). For Ribs, try the Frigate :)
Last I went to the Frigate I was pleased with their Steak and Lobster deal...tasty too.

Robert1050
09-19-2006, 09:06 AM
I used to eat occasionally at Montana's, but after getting food poisonning, I'll never go back again. I had a meal there on a Saturday night with a group of friends, food seemed OK, but woke up @3AM Sunday morning, heaving my guts out. By the time the sun came up, I didn't know which end I should aim at the commode. Miserable experience - I'll never go back!
This past Saturday night, my girl & I went to Rod's - no wait, excellent steak (prime-rib), excellent service, no complaints!
Golden Horseshoe has also been good, but it's all the way over on the North end of town.......
Robert

Partycattin
09-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Tried Montana's a couple months ago. Not impressed.
Service was very slow. Took forever from taking our order to getting the food to getting the bill. They were out of a bunch of stuff.
Food was very good once we got it, but not worth the sacrifice in service.
The horseshoe is our favorite. Kids love throwing peanut shells on the floor and the salad bar is a great start to your meal.
They just need to add a mechanical bull.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-19-2006, 09:51 AM
The horseshoe is our favorite. <snip>
They just need to add a mechanical bull.
They used to have one but took it out a few years ago.....

HavasuSelect
09-19-2006, 09:57 AM
They used to have one but took it out a few years ago.....
My friend took a pretty nasty spill on the bull. He actually hit the wall. It was pretty funny. Before the bull started he yelled "This is for Mexico". I guess that pissed the guy who was operating it off cause my friend lasted about 1 second.

malibuken
09-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Not only were they out of some food items, as Zig said, they ran out of Malibu Rum, which a few of us were drinking. Not a good scene.
Vickie had to send her burger back to get it cooked right, how hard it is to make a burger rare? Should have gone to Horseshoe, we all like that place. Probably never go to Montanas again.
Karl suggested the Homestead for next time, always willing to try new places.

voodoomedman
09-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Is Golden Horseshoe kind of expensive? I've wanted to try it but every time I suggest it when my in-laws are with us they kind of shy away. The last time we went out they didn't want to because of the cost so we went to Big Johns Steak n' Pub and our share of the bill alone was like $90 bucks. The steak was good but I don't think it should have been $90 bucks for two people (baby shares our food). Heck we just ate at an awesome restaurant on Newport Harbor for our 5 year anniversary and I think it was $80 something with a $20 tip.

franky
09-19-2006, 07:01 PM
You want an excelllent meal no matter what you order, Shugrues period. Pricey ($22-28) but all great. Firehouse is good too, no waiting ($12-18). Pasta, fish, chicken good salad, healthy portions. nice folk. Try the ribs(my recipe), and the $6 shrimp cocktail is the bomb. Walk in and eat. Locals spot.

voodoomedman
09-19-2006, 07:10 PM
You want an excelllent meal no matter what you order, Shugrues period. Pricey ($22-28) but all great. Firehouse is good too, no waiting ($12-18). Pasta, fish, chicken good salad, healthy portions. nice folk. Try the ribs(my recipe), and the $6 shrimp cocktail is the bomb. Walk in and eat. Locals spot.
Will have to try the Firehouse with all I hear about it on here. Shugrue's is always a ridiculous wait. I do like a nice meal out occasionally but I just can't see waiting an hour or two for a freaking restaurant. Especially a regular ol' Havasu one. Maybe for some Celebrity Chef type deal upscale and all but even at that.........

SummitKarl
09-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Is Golden Horseshoe kind of expensive? I've wanted to try it but every time I suggest it when my in-laws are with us they kind of shy away. The last time we went out they didn't want to because of the cost so we went to Big Johns Steak n' Pub and our share of the bill alone was like $90 bucks. The steak was good but I don't think it should have been $90 bucks for two people (baby shares our food). Heck we just ate at an awesome restaurant on Newport Harbor for our 5 year anniversary and I think it was $80 something with a $20 tip.
your right...Big Johns is very good and a wee bit on the pricey side....but damn the $14 prime rib sandwich is the bomb.
IMO and thats 270lbs of steak eating opinion :)
3 places you want to go
Golden Horse Shoe "prime rib"
Rod's Homestead #1 rib-eyes around
Sourdough LIL's (wedge salad, prime rib) and the Fried Ice cream "prepared at the table" is just toooooo....good to describe :rollside:

franky
09-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Will have to try the Firehouse with all I hear about it on here. Shugrue's is always a ridiculous wait. I do like a nice meal out occasionally but I just can't see waiting an hour or two for a freaking restaurant. Especially a regular ol' Havasu one. Maybe for some Celebrity Chef type deal upscale and all but even at that.........
Go to Shugrues during the week, screw the weekend wait. Wed and Thur is shushi night, great stuff Firehouse any time.

SummitKarl
09-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Go to Shugrues during the week, screw the weekend wait. Wed and Thur is shushi night, great stuff Firehouse any time.
SHUSHI!!!!! :yuk: you commie!!!!! were talking steak here :)

Kachina26
09-19-2006, 07:28 PM
I gave it 3 tries, and it sucked each and every time!!!! :yuk: Never again. Rod's from now on.

OutCole'd
09-19-2006, 07:35 PM
I need a map to all these new places for me to try. I always end up eating at the places close to the bridge. Mudsharks, Casa Serrano, El Sarape, etc....

SummitKarl
09-19-2006, 07:54 PM
I need a map to all these new places for me to try. I always end up eating at the places close to the bridge. Mudsharks, Casa Serrano, El Sarape, etc....
Mud Sharks is good....I am not to hip on the other two, one of those two is now Jucies Noodles their Italian Nacho's are very good (hint eat in the bar after 9pm it's 1/2 price)
Sourdogh LIL's is next to the I-hop, which is next to del taco, which is next to in-n-out which is next to the London bridge inn parking lot which is next to Red Robin, you should be able to find it easy now :rolleyes:

voodoomedman
09-19-2006, 07:59 PM
SHUSHI!!!!! :yuk: you commie!!!!! were talking steak here :)
Sushi is awesome but in Havasu!!!! If someone says it's good that knows I'll give it a try sometime maybe but I live way too close to the Ocean to be ordering raw fish in a small town in the desert.

voodoomedman
09-19-2006, 08:00 PM
El Palacios in BHC is pretty darn good Mexican Food and Casa Serrano is owned by the same people. Haven't been there yet but if the food is as good as El Palacios.............

SummitKarl
09-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Sushi is awesome but in Havasu!!!! If someone says it's good that knows I'll give it a try sometime maybe but I live way too close to the Ocean to be ordering raw fish in a small town in the desert.
honestly there is good Sushi to be had here.
Lo's Chinese (that's HDD'S Aunt's place) has a great sushi bar, and a Bennie Hana style show.....Very good and the cook is VERY FUNNY!!!
they also have a decent seafood buffet on Fridays, their oyster beef is top notch :)
oh and a very nice view of the lake

voodoomedman
09-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Lo's Chinese (that's HDD'S Aunt's place) has a great sushi bar, and a Bennie Hana style show.....Very good and the cook is VERY FUNNY!!!
they also have a decent seafood buffet on Fridays, their oyster beef is top notch :)
Really! Come on! I know you came from SoCal but how long have you been there? Just wondering. I know people that swear up and down about how good these all you can eat Sushi places are. Some may be okay but when you pay 14 bucks for all you can eat sushi they are not giving you the good stuff. Sushi is expensive. A cut roll will cost you almost that and you are going to pay 14 bucks for all you can eat. I've had it when it's paid for by the company and it is okay. The rest of the stuff is pretty good in the rolls and such but the fish is bland. I'd rather save up some money and go for some good sushi.

SummitKarl
09-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Really! Come on! I know you came from SoCal but how long have you been there? Just wondering. I know people that swear up and down about how good these all you can eat Sushi places are. Some may be okay but when you pay 14 bucks for all you can eat sushi they are not giving you the good stuff. Sushi is expensive. A cut roll will cost you almost that and you are going to pay 14 bucks for all you can eat. I've had it when it's paid for by the company and it is okay. The rest of the stuff is pretty good in the rolls and such but the fish is bland. I'd rather save up some money and go for some good sushi.
I may be wrong but I am gona guess that sushi gets trucked into So.Cal too.... :rollside: :), but yes there is a limited choice here in Havasu.
another one to try is #1 Dragon in the Wall mart center., give Lo's a try ...I think they are the best "Havasu" has to offer
it can't be to bad, I know a few old timers here in Havi with a case of the gout from to much sushi :rollside:

Kilrtoy
09-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Now with pretty much everyone here living in L.A., San Diego, Vegas or Phoenix,
I have one question for you.
WHY would you waste your money on any of these over priced, not very good resturants, When you have some many options back home.
When ever we hit one of these towns, which is not very often, We make it a point to eat at very nice places , JUST NOT HERE IN HAVASU

SummitKarl
09-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Now with pretty much everyone here living in L.A., San Diego, Vegas or Phoenix,
I have one question for you.
WHY would you waste your money on any of these over priced, not very good resturants, When you have some many options back home.
When ever we hit one of these towns, which is not very often, We make it a point to eat at very nice places , JUST NOT HERE IN HAVASU
:confused:
dude you spend so much time at the Firehouse, they are starting to call you "NORM" :rollside: :)

Kilrtoy
09-19-2006, 10:51 PM
:confused:
dude you spend so much time at the Firehouse, they are starting to call you "NORM" :rollside: :)
They did recognize me the last time I went, they said
WHERE IS YOUR WIFE...

franky
09-20-2006, 06:09 AM
YUK, I wiill not eat sushi at a place that smells of fish. Went to the buffet once, room temp oysters and other fish. NO WAY JOSE!!

BoatPI
09-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Steaks are good, but the ribs are the best, period. Order a full rack for less than most steaks.

Ziggy
09-20-2006, 07:35 AM
glad I don't eat any fish........ :yuk: