PDA

View Full Version : 496 Upgrades

ekbearly
01-16-2006, 02:11 PM
03 Nordic Heat
I am sure this has been covered in other threads, but I couldn't find anything when I did a search...
What are the basics in safely upgrading a 496MAG without going with a supercharger or Raylar-type kit. I am looking for 5+ mph if possible. Can you get there with exhaust, intake, prop, computer upgrades, etc or is this not feasible? If so, what do you recommend... and I know a bigger engine would do the trick, but I am not able to spend that kind of money)
Thanks for the input!

dicudmore
01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
03 Nordic Heat
I am sure this has been covered in other threads, but I couldn't find anything when I did a search...
What are the basics in safely upgrading a 496MAG without going with a supercharger or Raylar-type kit. I am looking for 5+ mph if possible. Can you get there with exhaust, intake, prop, computer upgrades, etc or is this not feasible? If so, what do you recommend... and I know a bigger engine would do the trick, but I am not able to spend that kind of money)
Thanks for the input!
you could pull the turbulators out of the exhaust and not stress too much about harming the engine...you might get 2-3 mph with that

phebus
01-16-2006, 02:24 PM
The best, cheapest, and most reliable way to gain speed, is to maximize your prop selection.

riverbound
01-16-2006, 02:27 PM
03 Nordic Heat
Thanks for the input!
Im not 100% sure but I think if you have thru-transom exhaust that is good for about 5mph. I would ask kilrtoy if I were you :D

KACHINA KEN
01-16-2006, 03:09 PM
03 Nordic Heat
Thanks for the input!
Leave it alone.

dicudmore
01-16-2006, 03:09 PM
The best, cheapest, and most reliable way to gain speed, is to maximize your prop selection.
yup what he said :cool:

Jbb
01-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Remove 496......toss in water for artificial reef.....and buy one of these....! (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101362)

Throttle
01-16-2006, 04:41 PM
got an extra $4K?
well nevermind... :cry:

Big Warlock
01-16-2006, 04:52 PM
The cheapest, most reliable way to get more speed out of your boat is to empty it of all the crap inside it!!!! :crossx:

riverroyal
01-16-2006, 04:54 PM
The cheapest, most reliable way to get more speed out of your boat is to empty it of all the crap inside it!!!! :crossx:
JBNSOCAL and I have the exact same set up,he carries more weight,its a noticable difference

OutCole'd
01-16-2006, 04:56 PM
JBNSOCAL and I have the exact same set up,he carries more weight,its a noticable difference
Are you calling him fat? :cool:

Big Warlock
01-16-2006, 04:58 PM
I am gulity as the next guy of having too much stuff in the boat! And it does add up! Take all the stuff out, like when you bought it and then get to about 1/4 tank of fuel and you will run the speed you always say you do! :cool:

riverroyal
01-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Are you calling him fat? :cool:
didnt call him a homo either,we looked at how much we were carring,he has more.Air chair etc,and its the only logical reason mines just a bit faster.We didnt have BLUE motor money,like vegas pimps

Beer-30
01-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Here's some good reading to start:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86879&highlight=496+cams

TPI
01-16-2006, 06:55 PM
No cheap way to get 5 mph.