PDA

View Full Version : Ok finally ready to convert over

a catered life
09-21-2006, 06:39 AM
:mad: radio has finally pissed me off.......so which system is better sirus or xm .....i like talk radio and am not really a baseball fan..we have four kids so edited music stations is a plus....my main comparisions would be price of unit, price of additional equipment, signal strengh, ability to be installed in multiple cars/boats, and easy of use, adaptable to current stero set up, and any special features...

Sleek-Jet
09-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Sirius... and not because of Howard (whom I can't stand)... better programing in the music channels... IMHO...
The equipment is all pretty much the same for Sirius to XM... but Sirius has a synch (or a delay, can't remember which) in the signal so you don't get the stadium affect if two radios are tuned to the same stream.
Sirius seems to work better in the mountains, since the Sats or on a higher inclination than XM... but I have noticed the signal dropping out under overpasses a little more often than before... could be my antenna is getting old.

doesitfloat?
09-21-2006, 06:58 AM
sirius

Trailer Park Casanova
09-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Sirius, and consider getting all your rides and floats done in one bid.

sam pioske
09-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Have a half dozen G M cars so have X M, but in boats and motorhomes have Sirius, like the Sirius a little better. No Commericals on Sirius !

racecar.hotshoe
09-21-2006, 07:10 AM
I have XM in the boat and all my trucks I like it I have had no problems.I will not talk bad about Sirius because I have never had one so I dont know.

BadKachina
09-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Sirius.
I like the rock stations better, Howard Stern and the NFL.

RitcheyRch
09-21-2006, 07:34 AM
I have XM and no complaints.

Ziggy
09-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Sirius is the one I prefer for the available programming.
Each of the two car brands I sell have Sirius(BMW) or XM(Saab)...........on average I'd say we get 10 sirius subscribers vs. 1 XM.

JB in so cal
09-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Rent an Avis car equipped with XM or a Hertz car with Sirius. If you're in no hurry to make a decision, spend a couple days with both and make your own decision.

a catered life
09-21-2006, 07:52 AM
sirus seems to be the hands down winner
and jb thats not a bad idea

Ziggy
09-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Consider the current Siriusoffer as well....You can get a free Sportster reciever with subscription.......Thats a plug and play model you can move from one vehicle/location to another.

Napanutt
09-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Sirius... but I have noticed the signal dropping out under overpasses a little more often than before... could be my antenna is getting old.
I've noticed the same thing in both my vehicles (the beamer with the built in one and the truck with the starmate add-on)...but I absolutely LOVE my sirius;NEVER listen to over-the-air radio...

Big Kahunaa
09-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Sirius and tivo is the two things i could not live without. I'm not a big fan of XM seems like the music is better on Sirius

Dub C
09-21-2006, 08:28 AM
The siruis stiletto is the new killer piece coming out for the holiday season.
http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/stiletto-more-pics-and-product-sheet.html
KILLER, portable, records content, you can use it like an I-pod but listening to Siruis or loaded content/recorded siruis content.

Hardly Satisfied
09-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Sirius... and not because of Howard (whom I can't stand)... better programing in the music channels... IMHO...
The equipment is all pretty much the same for Sirius to XM... but Sirius has a synch (or a delay, can't remember which) in the signal so you don't get the stadium affect if two radios are tuned to the same stream.
Sirius seems to work better in the mountains, since the Sats or on a higher inclination than XM... but I have noticed the signal dropping out under overpasses a little more often than before... could be my antenna is getting old.
Sirius has some kids channels

That Guy
09-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Had both...Sirius hands down....better music programming, better talk...and I do like Howard so that is a plus. I also think they are getting Nascar next year if you are into that stuff..... :)

doesitfloat?
09-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Amazing how the momentum has completely swung over to the Sirius side in the last year or so.
XM is watching its once huge market share diminish by the day. Like him or not, The Howard Stern signing was a great move by Sirius. Just the story itself got Sirius in the spotlight for months. Even if you don't like Howard, you can't help think "Sirius" when thinking about sat radio because of all of the recent pub.
In addition, many have bought Serius just for Howard and discovered how much they like Sat radio regardless of Stern. Then they tell 2 friends....
I've recently heard many stories of the recent complete dominance of the new subscriber market by Sirius over XM...escpecially in new cars.
XM is in serious (pun intended) trouble...
EDIT: let me add how friggen cool it is to have every NFL on your radio...with both teams broadcasts! I work a lot on weekends and this is a huge perk.

LuckyStrike
09-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Sirius!!!I Get A little Sponsership From Them

Warlockjer
09-21-2006, 10:42 AM
I have both and so far I like the XM better. Plus I think Howard is a piece of CRAP!!!!

BajaMike
09-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Sirius is great...it's all I listen to now.
And Howard Stern is great, the best interviews and some of the best "live" unplugged music you will ever here.
:idea:

That Guy
09-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Sirius is great...it's all I listen to now.
And Howard Stern is great, the best interviews and some of the best "live" unplugged music you will ever here.
:idea:
It is actually pretty funny....now I don't know how I ever listened to "regular" radio. Bought a new car and have been stuck with terrestrial radio for the past few weeks and it totally SUCKS! I can't believe how lame the talk shows are, the music, everything.....I finally got Sirius in the new vehicle and I couldn't believe how much I missed it...I find myself actually looking foward to the drive home.... :)

GAME TIME
09-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Sirius here. Everyone is forgetting Bubba. I think he is a funny mofo.

doesitfloat?
09-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Sirius here. Everyone is forgetting Bubba. I think he is a funny mofo.
....yep, and Scott Ferrall. Shhheeecckkidooooooo.
You know, not only do I not listen to FM anymore, I don't even listen to my CDs.

godfather
09-21-2006, 11:22 AM
sirius is the way! much better rock stations. i dont even waste my time with howard. :rolleyes:

BigDoug
09-21-2006, 12:19 PM
How much a month is the xm and sirius ?

Boozer
09-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Sirius is the way to go.
I started boating in remote areas where no radio stations were available. While under way my CD player skips like crazy so satelite radio seemed like the best option. I first chose XM but found their line up rather boring. This spring I purchased a Sirius unit and like their programming much better. Also, I stopped listening to Howard Stern after the whole Columbine thing but have started listening to him again on Sirius. For whatever reason his show seems a lot better and as long as he stays off his political crap I enjoy listening to him.

SoCal_fun
09-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Sirius, hands down!
If you want to check it out, I'll bring my portable to Havi for our next trip coming up and you can see if you like it.

SUI-CY-COLE
09-21-2006, 09:05 PM
sirius.....XM is going to go out of business....lol

'78 gt boat
09-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Iknow for a fact that Sirius has a free trial online of the programming including Stern,Bubba, and Farrell...... I'm pretty sure XM has it as well. It's a good way to check it out. Oh and for the rednecks out there don't forget......NASCAR starting in Jan '07. I have sirius in my truck, wifeys SUV, and of course the boat. As was said the new Sirius Stilletto ships the end of the month for $349. A fully portable LIVE sirius feed as well as storing up to 100 hours of Sirius content or MP3 music. It also id Wifi compatible so If you have it in a building or airport you can get the online channels... Sirius also has a GM adapter for those GM vehicles that came with the XM option you can change to sirius for $100. Sorry for rambling I buy both for my company. :rollside: :) :)

JetBoatRich
09-22-2006, 04:00 AM
:mad: radio has finally pissed me off.......so which system is better sirus or xm .....i like talk radio and am not really a baseball fan..we have four kids so edited music stations is a plus....my main comparisions would be price of unit, price of additional equipment, signal strengh, ability to be installed in multiple cars/boats, and easy of use, adaptable to current stero set up, and any special features...
It is about time :rolleyes:
I have XM for the last three years, no complaints :cool: portable unit, boat and even the golf cart :cool:

a catered life
09-22-2006, 06:06 AM
well the overall answer seems to be sirus...many of you guys seem to like the programming better than xm (except for that jet boat guy) the decision will be made after next week end short road trip
thanks for the input

INSman
09-22-2006, 06:13 AM
Either way, better than FM and flipping cd's
I do own Sirius stock, but may put XM in the new truck as they have "Traffic" that will tie into the navigation. Need to check to see if Sirius offers this for my needs.