PDA

View Full Version : Ford Diesel Engine Problem/question

GAME TIME
09-21-2006, 03:17 PM
I have an 05 F-250 that has been actiing up lately. I wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same problem so I can get an idea as to what is causing it. The truck feels like it is about to run out of gas. At a stop, it has a rough idle and wants to jerk forward. Any ideas???

Eliminator 4 Life
09-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Joey sounds like a clogged injector.. Call Clyde at 951 734 2700..

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Have you checked the windshield wiper fluid?

TaylorJet
09-21-2006, 03:23 PM
I have an 05 F-250 that has been actiing up lately. I wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same problem so I can get an idea as to what is causing it. The truck feels like it is about to run out of gas. At a stop, it has a rough idle and wants to jerk forward. Any ideas???
Tade it in for a Duramax. :D :D

riverluvr
09-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Good luck. Bought a truck 3 1/2 months ago....have the same problem...been in the shop 5 times...finally changed injectors 1 and 2...we will see if it helps. Hope you have better luck.

Hal
09-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Try here...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

GAME TIME
09-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Joey sounds like a clogged injector.. Call Clyde at 951 734 2700..
Thanks Rob. :D

djunkie
09-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Start with the basics. Change fuel filter. Is there a check engine light on?

GAME TIME
09-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Start with the basics. Change fuel filter. Is there a check engine light on?
I recently had them changed but I'll take a look at them. Engine light came on but went away. Since it's past the warranty, Ford said they would charge $180 just to plug it in and get a diagnostic code. If it is the injectors, then it's under the warranty still.

djunkie
09-21-2006, 03:37 PM
I recently had them changed but I'll take a look at them. Engine light came on but went away. Since it's past the warranty, Ford said they would charge $180 just to plug it in and get a diagnostic code. If it is the injectors, then it's under the warranty still.
When did it start acting up? On my truck I had around 1000 miles since my fuel fitler had been changed. Stopped to fuel up on the way home from the river and got a bad batch of fuel. Truck ran like crap all the way home. When I got home I filled it up with good fuel and changed the fuel filter and bingo, problem solved.

GAME TIME
09-21-2006, 03:44 PM
When did it start acting up? On my truck I had around 1000 miles since my fuel fitler had been changed. Stopped to fuel up on the way home from the river and got a bad batch of fuel. Truck ran like crap all the way home. When I got home I filled it up with good fuel and changed the fuel filter and bingo, problem solved.
I'd say within the last week or two. Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to check the mileage the last time the filters were changed.

Jim W
09-21-2006, 03:48 PM
is it a "6 point 0h No" ???
Dont buy the truck, buy the engine....CUMMINS...............
Be good, Jim

rmarion
09-21-2006, 03:48 PM
http://www.thedieselstop.com/

djunkie
09-21-2006, 03:49 PM
I'd say within the last week or two. Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to check the mileage the last time the filters were changed.
Reason I asked when it happpened is cause if it was right after a fill up it could be a bad batch of fuel.

djunkie
09-21-2006, 03:49 PM
is it a "6 point 0h No" ???
Dont buy the truck, buy the engine....CUMMINS...............
Be good, Jim
Engine and trans...... Duramax/Allison :rollside: :rollside:

WET HULL
09-21-2006, 04:01 PM
I have the same truck. It did the same thing, and they had to reset the computer. It was because I was below E and about to run out of gas. The computer did not reset when I refueled so it acted as if I was out of gas, lunging, rough idle and no acceleration. They said in the future you could disconnect the battery to reset the CPU. It might work.

Phat Matt
09-21-2006, 04:06 PM
I had the exact same problem last Sunday coming home from the river. My truck actually died on the 10 and had to be towed home. I dropped it off on Monday and they haven't looked at it yet. I thought I had bad fuel also.

Eliminator 4 Life
09-21-2006, 04:06 PM
DURACRAP NOW POUND SAND :crossx:

djunkie
09-21-2006, 04:09 PM
DURACRAP NOW POUND SAND :crossx:
Overgrown freak of nature!!!!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Eliminator 4 Life
09-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Overgrown freak of nature!!!!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
fawk bud your right behind me :yuk:

seanv
09-21-2006, 04:14 PM
ok here we go....my 03' 6.0 during initial start up chugs and blows white smoke until i clear it out with some thottle. not every time just once in a while. my sa at for said live with it as long as pos. the repair is some computer re-flash and customers complain about a loss of power afterwards. i dont get a c.e.l. and im not storing any hard codes so i just keep driven her along. pulls awesome and gets decent mileage for a lifted 4x towing 10k.

BOBALOO
09-21-2006, 04:20 PM
ok here we go....my 03' 6.0 during initial start up chugs and blows white smoke until i clear it out with some thottle. not every time just once in a while. my sa at for said live with it as long as pos. the repair is some computer re-flash and customers complain about a loss of power afterwards. i dont get a c.e.l. and im not storing any hard codes so i just keep driven her along. pulls awesome and gets decent mileage for a lifted 4x towing 10k.
Glow plug relay/controller?

Tom Brown
09-21-2006, 04:22 PM
lmao!

SUPERDUTYRHINO
09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
05' should still be under waranty? Some auto zones loan scan tools. If the warranty is over due to mileage, there is a $100.00 dedutable on the entire "powertrain" and I have read it includes smom equipment. Maybe try another dealership? Good luck and keep records, "Lemon Law"...regardless of mileage.

Jim W
09-21-2006, 04:38 PM
God,
I wish Cummins would put ALUMINUM cylinder heads on their diesel engines.....
That's the way to go. Aluminum heads on a hard working (shit this hills long, she's getting real hot) diesel.
Let me know when a Duramax goes 400-500,000 miles between rebuilds plz...
Now the trans, you got me.
A Cummins with a Allison would be the ultimate!!!
FYI, I have an 2002 Dodge with injectors, Edge box and is set up for just under 400 HP and somewhere around 900 ft.lbs. tq and it pulls something heavy every day.
In 4X4 I can smoke the Mustang GT's but cant take a Camero.
In 2X4 I do funny car style burn-outs....
Be good, Jim

Eliminator 4 Life
09-21-2006, 04:50 PM
God,
I wish Cummins would put ALUMINUM cylinder heads on their diesel engines.....
That's the way to go. Aluminum heads on a hard working (shit this hills long, she's getting real hot) diesel.
Let me know when a Duramax goes 400-500,000 miles between rebuilds plz...
Now the trans, you got me.
A Cummins with a Allison would be the ultimate!!!
FYI, I have an 2002 Dodge with injectors, Edge box and is set up for just under 400 HP and somewhere around 900 ft.lbs. tq and it pulls something heavy every day.
In 4X4 I can smoke the Mustang GT's but cant take a Camero.
In 2X4 I do funny car style burn-outs....
Be good, Jim
Thanks Dodge brother for showin duracrap whats really going on :crossx:

JetBoatRich
09-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Funny, I heard the muffler bearings can cause that :rolleyes:

wild1s
09-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Check the blinker fluid..... :hammerhea :hammerhea

Jim W
09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks Dodge brother for showin duracrap whats really going on :crossx:
I was going to point out that on the TDR web site.
The big dogs are running 130 Lbs. of boost and about 1,200 HP
Thought that would just be overkill.
The biggest problem isnt ruining the heads. Just keeping them screwed on.
Cummins cranks and rods are happy at that HP level.
Would love to hear from the Duramax crowd running at this level??????
Be good, Jim

Phat Matt
09-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Just heard back from the dealer. They say I have 3 bad injectors. Is that covered under the engine warranty?

SUPERDUTYRHINO
09-26-2006, 03:49 PM
If your still under 3/36 it's fully covered, after that it's a $100.00 deductable till 5/100.

CHEETAH24
09-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Check the flux capacitor...take care of it every time.

Phat Matt
09-26-2006, 04:26 PM
If your still under 3/36 it's fully covered, after that it's a $100.00 deductable till 5/100.
It's an '03 with about 86k miles on it. I am doing some research right now and it looks like it was quite a problem when they first came out. I will pick it up on Thursday and see if all is good. What is to stop the other 5 from going bad though?

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
09-26-2006, 04:40 PM
MATT the 03 super duty were not so super, trade that thing in on new f350 4wd duelly. I have 02 with 7.3 w/ about 490hp@rear wheels, I can take cameros and mustangs in 2wd.runs 13s in 1/4 mile, BIG JOE

RiverRatMike
09-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Tade it in for a Duramax. :D :D
why would you want a Duramax Isuzu engine? NOT!

Phat Matt
09-26-2006, 08:00 PM
MATT the 03 super duty were not so super, trade that thing in on new f350 4wd duelly. I have 02 with 7.3 w/ about 490hp@rear wheels, I can take cameros and mustangs in 2wd.runs 13s in 1/4 mile, BIG JOE
From what I have read Ford is coming out with a new 6.4 liter diesel. If I were to get something new I would wait. The other problem is they don't make the Excursion anymore. That is what I have and like.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC02563.JPG

GAME TIME
09-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Just heard back from the dealer. They say I have 3 bad injectors. Is that covered under the engine warranty?
It should be under the diesel warranty. Mine ended up being a bad ICP (injection control pressure) sensor. $100 deductible and covered under the waranty.

djunkie
09-26-2006, 09:01 PM
It should be under the diesel warranty. Mine ended up being a bad ICP (injection control pressure) sensor. $100 deductible and covered under the waranty.
Glad to hear you found the problem. :rollside:

GAME TIME
09-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Glad to hear you found the problem. :rollside:
Thanks buddy. :)

Phat Matt
09-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Update. I am supposed to pick up the truck this morning. They wanted it to sit overnight to make sure it cold started fine in the morning. Cool. They took it out for a test drive and 2 more injectors went bad. So now 5 of the 8 have gone bad. It will be ready in an hour but now I am wondering if they should just replace the remaining 3.

pixilatedpussy
09-28-2006, 10:04 AM
MR Pixi says to check your fuel/water seperator! :rollside:

djunkie
09-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Your a little late there missy. He had some bad injectors and now all is good. :wink: :wink:

Phat Matt
09-28-2006, 02:44 PM
More updates.
The injectors didn't fix the problem. My fuel pressure is low so now they are checking the fuel pump. I told them to check the ICP and that was one of the first things they did do. Hopefully they find the problem. Too bad the pump isn't covered under warranty.

pixilatedpussy
09-28-2006, 02:46 PM
More updates.
The injectors didn't fix the problem. My fuel pressure is low so now they are checking the fuel pump. I told them to check the ICP and that was one of the first things they did do. Hopefully they find the problem. Too bad the pump isn't covered under warranty.
Sounds like you sucked up some crap from the bottom of your tank. Have you ever ran out of gas? Or ran the gas wayyyyyy down??? :idea:

Phat Matt
09-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Sounds like you sucked up some crap from the bottom of your tank. Have you ever ran out of gas? Or ran the gas wayyyyyy down??? :idea:
I have never ran out of diesel. It has been low before, but I don't know how low since I have never ran out of diesel.
They are also checking to see if something is plugged from the tank. I just want my truck fixed. :cry:

sigepmock
09-28-2006, 03:00 PM
I have never ran out of diesel. It has been low before, but I don't know how low since I have never ran out of diesel.
They are also checking to see if something is plugged from the tank. I just want my truck fixed. :cry:
Time to upgrade :)

Phat Matt
09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Time to upgrade :)
They need to put the new 6.4 twin turbo in an Excursion. :)

Phat Matt
09-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Final update. I have 5 new injectors. Cool.
They changed the fuel filters and bam, I have fuel pressure again. The truck is fixed. Too bad between the rental car, tow, and labor, the damn filter cost around $1200!
I am glad to have my truck back though. :)

djunkie
09-28-2006, 09:09 PM
They changed the fuel filters and bam, I have fuel pressure again. The truck is fixed. Too bad between the rental car, tow, and labor, the damn filter cost around $1200!
So it was the filter all along? I hope they didn't charge you for the injectors if that wasn't the problem.

Phat Matt
09-28-2006, 09:12 PM
So it was the filter all along? I hope they didn't charge you for the injectors if that wasn't the problem.
It looks like it. The injectors only cost $100 which is the deductable on the engine. 5 injectors would have cost way more than that if I had to pay for it. I only have 13k miles left on the warranty so I'll take it.

BajaMike
09-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Spend the $180 and hopefully they will figure it out. How many miles do you have?? I think in California, anything related to the "emissions control system" (which is almost everything) is waranteed for 5 years/50,000 miles.
With a gas engine, it's always lack of "fuel or fire" that causes problems. With a diesel, there's no "fire" (ie no spark needed), so it's usually a "fuel" problem. Since you changed filters, I would think you got bad "fuel".
Drain the tank and fill it up with good fuel, change the fuel filter (did they really change it last time....sometimes they lie) maybe that will fix it, otherwise, put it on the computer!
Good luck....how's that new boat??
:rollside:

BajaMike
09-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Mr & Mrs Pixi are right, the first thing to check on a diesel is the fuel/water seperator/fuel filter.
Injectors going out is usually the result of bad fuel.....which is like poison for a diesel engine!
:idea:

BajaMike
09-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Glad it got fixed...........Joey has a problem and Phat Matt hijacks his thread!!! :D

GAME TIME
09-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Ouch!!! But like you said, at least you have your truck back. Glad it finally got figured out.

Eliminator 4 Life
09-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Ouch!!! But like you said, at least you have your truck back. Glad it finally got figured out.
Ill call you tomorrow what time u gonna be in town...

GAME TIME
Spend the $180 and hopefully they will figure it out. How many miles do you have?? I think in California, anything related to the "emissions control system" (which is almost everything) is waranteed for 5 years/50,000 miles.
With a gas engine, it's always lack of "fuel or fire" that causes problems. With a diesel, there's no "fire" (ie no spark needed), so it's usually a "fuel" problem. Since you changed filters, I would think you got bad "fuel".
Drain the tank and fill it up with good fuel, change the fuel filter (did they really change it last time....sometimes they lie) maybe that will fix it, otherwise, put it on the computer!
Good luck....how's that new boat??
Thanks Mike but they handled it right away. The new ride is awesome. I'm heading out tomorrow. I'm in deperate need of the river. I haven't been in a while due to vacation and weddings. How are you doing? I haven't seen you at all this summer.

Phat Matt
Glad it got fixed...........Joey has a problem and Phat Matt hijacks his thread!!! :D
His truck got fixed first. :)

GAME TIME
09-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Ill call you tomorrow what time u gonna be in town...
I'm leaving so cal around 1:30. I'll be in Bullhead on Friday but will be on the river Sat morning. Give me a call so we can set up a meeting spot after the regatta.

Eliminator 4 Life
09-28-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm leaving so cal around 1:30. I'll be in Bullhead on Friday but will be on the river Sat morning. Give me a call so we can set up a meeting spot after the regatta.
10-4 brother see u then :)

GAME TIME
09-28-2006, 09:47 PM
10-4 brother see u then :)
Right on. Drive safe. Late.

Eliminator 4 Life
09-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Right on. Drive safe. Late.
k thanks u to brother

Phat Matt
09-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Morning update.
My truck started cold, idled smooth and had instant power without having to warm up at all. Nice to have it back running like a champ. :)

pixilatedpussy
09-29-2006, 12:33 PM
I know how you feel. My diesel Excursion has been in our shop for 9 wks today DAMN IT! :mad: I want mine back too! :cry: :cry: :cry: