PDA

View Full Version : Bassett water skis

Cas
09-21-2006, 06:45 PM
anyone else remember them? I believe they were made for Bassett Headers but I don't remember who designed them....Kris LaPointe maybe?

rodnjen
09-21-2006, 06:49 PM
I remember them being f-ing cool looking, but I don't know who designed them.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-21-2006, 06:51 PM
anyone else remember them? I believe they were made for Bassett Headers but I don't remember who designed them....Kris LaPointe maybe?
4 days left on e-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-water-ski-NICE-bassett-maherajah-ho_W0QQitemZ250031031266QQihZ015QQcategoryZ71174QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

obnoxious001
09-21-2006, 06:52 PM
The poster might have been more cool than the ski?

Cas
09-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Easy way to find out.
Bassett Paul
Business Information:
Phone: (714) 630-7999
Rio
this is the internet! We want to go down memory lane and create our own truth :D
Thanks for the ebay listing vdv, I just might have to bid on that thing.

Cs19
09-22-2006, 07:18 AM
They made life jackets and bicycles for a while too. Classic stuff.

superdave013
09-22-2006, 07:37 AM
They made life jackets and bicycles for a while too. Classic stuff.
Ward Bassett did very well racing Downhill MTB. I'm sure he ripped on a BMX too. That guy is super smooth and fast as hell on a bike.

doesitfloat?
09-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Man, I forgot all about those until looking at that eBay link. Never had a Bassett ski but remember friends who did. Memory lane...

HCS
09-22-2006, 08:10 AM
That might be worth having just to hang on the garage wall.

superdave013
09-22-2006, 08:13 AM
I've got my e snip all set up. May the highest bidder win in the last 2 seconds. :D

charitycase
09-22-2006, 08:13 AM
I still have one.It's a little rough but it would still be cool on the wall.I'll try to post a pic when I can.

Her454
09-22-2006, 08:35 AM
I've got my e snip all set up. May the highest bidder win in the last 2 seconds. :D
LOL ditto, I'd like to hang that on the garage wall next to the Maha. :rollside:

Cas
09-22-2006, 08:36 AM
yea, I figure I could put it next to my Maha 2001 :D I have a Kidder KS Graphite that was my main ski way back when (early 80's). Now that I'm a few lbs heavier, it's not the right fit any longer. Instead of losing the weight, I figure I'd just get a different ski :p
I'm pretty sure Kidder was the first to put an adjustable wing on the fin? In any case, the KS was/is a really good ski for an 80's designed ski.

Her454
09-22-2006, 08:39 AM
yea, I figure I could put it next to my Maha 2001 :D I have a Kidder KS Graphite that was my main ski way back when (early 80's). Now that I'm a few lbs heavier, it's not the right fit any longer. Instead of losing the weight, I figure I'd just get a different ski :p
I'm pretty sure Kidder was the first to put an adjustable wing on the fin? In any case, the KS was/is a really good ski for an 80's designed ski.
yea yea whatever. If you were any kind of skier you'd put your money where your mouth is and show up at the 3rd annual Men vs the Chicks Coors Lite Water Ski Invitational and show us how its done LOL.
Uh hu. :rolleyes:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-22-2006, 08:43 AM
The best part is its close enough to drive and pick up. I wonder what his reserve is?

Froggystyle
09-22-2006, 08:53 AM
I still have all of my old skis. Including...
A wood Connelly Hook. Totally OG, great shape. All hand inlaid and such. Probably the single coolest ski I have ever seen.
Maha 66/38 off
Maha Stiff Ski
Maha 360 (not the wood one unfortunately)
and the pride and joy at the time...
Kidder Redline Comp. That was a bad little bitch back in the early 80's. The difference between skiing that and the Stiff was pretty profound. It was a lot newer though when I started banging on it.

Her454
09-22-2006, 08:55 AM
A wood Connelly Hook. Totally OG, great shape. All hand inlaid and such. Probably the single coolest ski I have ever seen.
Maha 66/38 off
Maha Stiff Ski
Kidder Redline Comp. That was a bad little bitch back in the early 80's. The difference between skiing that and the Stiff was pretty profound. It was a lot newer though when I started banging on it.
Awsum (that's special for you Homeless) :rollside:
Wes, you still ski?

Cas
09-22-2006, 09:25 AM
yea yea whatever. If you were any kind of skier you'd put your money where your mouth is and show up at the 3rd annual Men vs the Chicks Coors Lite Water Ski Invitational and show us how its done LOL.
Uh hu. :rolleyes:
kind of why I'm semi looking for another ski and no, I'm not gonna go out and spend $900.00 on a new one to fit my fat ass :D
now who was it with the most horsepower in their boat?

Her454
09-22-2006, 09:29 AM
kind of why I'm semi looking for another ski and no, I'm not gonna go out and spend $900.00 on a new one to fit my fat ass :D
now who was it with the most horsepower in their boat?
LMAO, sad sad sad. I make it up first time out on the old Maha....she never lets me down......cept for last year. I think it was the cold water....and my wrist hurt, and the driver sucked...... (sorry Squirt ;) )...........
I think TeamGreen has a pretty pink HO he'll let ya use. Since I've never seen him use it...or anything for that matter LMAO.
Such big talkers, until ya throw em a ski rope. Im just thankful Froggy lives no where near me anymore. That would make him eligible for your team..... :cry:

icetom
09-22-2006, 09:40 AM
So now I have to post just to defend my pink ski :rolleyes: .The ski of which the witch speaks of was stolen from my boat at SBWSI 2 and is said to be in HER garage collecting dust as HER is a lil scared to dawn it.I guess the ski isnt the only thing dusty around HER house :crossx: .
I also have one of those Bassett skis.

Her454
09-22-2006, 09:43 AM
So now I have to post just to defend my pink ski :rolleyes: .The ski of which the witch speaks of was stolen from my boat at SBWSI 2 and is said to be in HER garage collecting dust as HER is a lil scared to dawn it.I guess the ski isnt the only thing dusty around HER house :crossx: .
I also have one of those Bassett skis.
HOLY SHIT! Look who came out of the woodwork! :rollside: Yes its in my garage collecting dust, however I do LIKE that ski. However it wasn't stolen, just storing it for when you decide to get motivated again LOL.

THOR
09-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Maha 66/38 off
Maha Stiff Ski
I have my Maha stiff ski. I actually have two. One is my brothers, one is mine. :)

Cas
09-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Such big talkers, until ya throw em a ski rope. Im just thankful Froggy lives no where near me anymore. That would make him eligible for your team..... :cry:
I'm HCS would a real good additoin to the men's team :D

Her454
09-22-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm HCS would a real good additoin to the men's team :D
Yea right. If you can get him down to the shindig, its a go. I can out ski him anyday.
Thats a straight up, official call out Tom :rollside:

HCS
09-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Yea right. If you can get him down to the shindig, its a go. I can out ski him anyday.
Thats a straight up, official call out Tom :rollside:
Ok girl your on! I'll even ski on my old 68" Maha to make it fair. :boxingguy
Is it going to be a ***boat bidding war for that baby? :D

Her454
09-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Ok girl your on! I'll even ski on my old 68" Maha to make it fair. :boxingguy
Is it going to be a ***boat bidding war for that baby? :D
Its a deal. Rules are, Out of the water first time out, longest ski run/endurance.
I'll let ya know that dates, and I'll put up MY MAHA as a bet. :)
You ski double? We've never done it this way, but we can both go at the same time to make it fair. :crossx:

HCS
09-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Its a deal. Rules are, Out of the water first time out, longest ski run/endurance.
I'll let ya know that dates, and I'll put up MY MAHA as a bet. :)
You ski double? We've never done it this way, but we can both go at the same time to make it fair. :crossx:
I go double. Do I have to hold on or can I just keep it between my legs?

Her454
09-22-2006, 11:12 AM
I go double. Do I have to hold on or can I just keep it between my legs?
LMAO, however you need to. :rollside:

Froggystyle
09-22-2006, 12:31 PM
When is this shindig? Sounds like a job for a 360...
Is there any banging buoys to be done? I have a portable course that just needs a couple of anchors I would be happy to bring.
You never really find anywhere to use it. We used to drop it in at the Delta all the time. There were some coves at Berryessa you could use too. Nowhere down here though...

Her454
09-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Is there any banging buoys to be done? I have a portable course that just needs a couple of anchors I would be happy to bring.
You never really find anywhere to use it. We used to drop it in at the Delta all the time. There were some coves at Berryessa you could use too. Nowhere down here though...
OH HELL NO FROGGY............ HCS is gonna be enough for me to take, you cant play! :):)
Its in October at Lake Hogan- and there are no bouys but we could always try it LOL.
My sister and I have had this fierce competition going through the years that we always have to be the first one up out of the water, holding our beer. The one that doesnt make it first time out in the season or falls first OR loses their beer.....eats crow for the rest of the year.
Some of the guys started smack talking so we challenged em a few years ago, us against the guys and its since grown into the SBWSI (Silver Bullet Water Ski Invitational). Girls took it with a grand slam the first year and lost it last year with honorable mention to the 6 year old girl that saved my ass from COMPLETE embarassment LOL. TeamGreen makes these really cool plaques for the winners, I'll post up a pic later.
Seriously, we'd love to have you come down for it and I'd probably have to let you win by default just to be polite....since your a guest and all. ;)

Froggystyle
09-22-2006, 12:48 PM
OH HELL NO FROGGY............ HCS is gonna be enough for me to take, you cant play! :):)
Its in October at Lake Hogan- and there are no bouys but we could always try it LOL.
My sister and I have had this fierce competition going through the years that we always have to be the first one up out of the water, holding our beer. The one that doesnt make it first time out in the season or falls first OR loses their beer.....eats crow for the rest of the year.
Some of the guys started smack talking so we challenged em a few years ago, us against the guys and its since grown into the SBWSI (Silver Bullet Water Ski Invitational). Girls took it with a grand slam the first year and lost it last year with honorable mention to the 6 year old girl that saved my ass from COMPLETE embarassment LOL. TeamGreen makes these really cool plaques for the winners, I'll post up a pic later.
Seriously, we'd love to have you come down for it and I'd probably have to let you win by default just to be polite....since your a guest and all. ;)
When in October... :idea:

Her454
09-22-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure yet, I'll let you know within the next week. :):)

Cas
09-23-2006, 06:42 AM
I think she goes down to the lake with a thermometer to make sure the lake has turned over. She wants the water cold enough so when the men's team talks, their voices are really high pitched. She thinks it gives the ladies an advantage :D

FASTJTBT
09-23-2006, 07:20 AM
Endos In Long Beach As One On The Back Room Wall As Well As 100of Others Its Kinda Cool To Check Them Out.

HCS
09-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Hell I'll give the bouys a run. Probably knock a few off. :)
I'll hold the beer with my teeth. :idea:
The only weekend I'm not available is.
This one.
NSRA Golden State Nationals
Just About Here
In a matter of days, the National Street Rod Association® (NSRA) Golden State Street Rod Nationals will open in Sacramento, California, on October 6th, and continue on the 7th and 8th. For those wanting to be a participant in this outstanding event, pre-'49 manufacture vehicles can be entered at the DoubleTree Hotel, 2001 Point West Way. Registration opens at 12 noon Thursday and continues until 6 p.m., and is available from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. on Friday, and from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Saturday... vehicle registration will conclude as of 2 p.m. sharp on Saturday. If you plan to take in this great new western states event as a spectator, all ticket sales are at the front entrances to the Cal Expo Fairgrounds on Exposition Boulevard. If coming to the show as a spectator, arrive early and plan to spend a day or more... chances are good one day will not be like enough with all there is to do, see and experience (don't forget your camera). For more information, contact: NSRA, 4030 Park Ave., Memphis, TN 38111, phone 901-452-4030.

HCS
09-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Bob Maher is still making skies. For a pretty dollar.
http://www.maherajah.com/images/shop_tour_1.jpg
http://www.maherajah.com/images/shop_tour_2.jpg
http://www.maherajah.com/images/shop_tour_3.jpg
http://www.maherajah.com/images/shop_tour_4.jpg
Just like Wes he makes boat too. :D
http://www.maherajah.com/images/boat_still.jpg
http://www.maherajah.com/images/boat_rear.jpg

Cas
09-25-2006, 06:43 AM
seek and ye shall find for $15.00
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3870bassett_ski.jpg
I just had to pick it up, it kind of matches the boat :D

XTRM22
09-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Just like Wes he makes boat too. :D
http://www.maherajah.com/images/boat_still.jpg
http://www.maherajah.com/images/boat_rear.jpg
Hmm I've been up close to that floating aluminum coffin looking thing that Bob built and I don't think I'd say he builds "just like Wes" :) I'd love to get one of Bob's ski's, Mahraja is a peice of skiing history. I picked up an O.G. condition Connelly Hook a while back, it's just to pretty use, it hangs on the garage wall next to the old AMF Voit Cheetah wooden ski we bought my dad back in 75. Makin me wanna get out and leave the wakeboard at home, where are those gloves and the big ass wet suit..... :p
Chuck

Big Kahunaa
09-25-2006, 08:04 AM
i bought one a few years ago for 5$ for the garage

Cas
09-25-2006, 12:41 PM
i bought one a few years ago for 5$ for the garage
inflation :D

Her454
09-25-2006, 01:22 PM
STeve, you bought that ski? :) BTW, I just got your message yesterday that you and Eileen were up my way LAST WEEK! :D :D Hope you guys found a good place to eat and sorry I wasn't around when you called.

Cas
09-26-2006, 07:10 AM
STeve, you bought that ski? :) BTW, I just got your message yesterday that you and Eileen were up my way LAST WEEK! :D :D Hope you guys found a good place to eat and sorry I wasn't around when you called.
yep, I got it for $15.00, couldn't pass it up. I've been wanting to get back into water skiing but as I said earlier, the Kidder just isn't the right fit anymore. Heck, I can barely get my feet into the full boot bindings, non adjustable......do feet get fat too? :D
If the Bassett doesn't work out then I'll have another nostalgic piece to take up space in my garage.
I didn't realize Jackson was so close to Lodi so we ended up getting a bite to eat at the Flying J, big mistake! We were going to get something at that real popular place in Jackson, Mel's or something like that, but there was a 45 minute wait. Next time we'll call before we head that way instead of waiting until the last second :)
oh hey, look what I found on my computer :D
Waterski Champ?? (http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/movies/?action=view&current=traci2.flv)

Her454
09-26-2006, 08:11 AM
yep, I got it for $15.00, couldn't pass it up. I've been wanting to get back into water skiing but as I said earlier, the Kidder just isn't the right fit anymore. Heck, I can barely get my feet into the full boot bindings, non adjustable......do feet get fat too? :D
If the Bassett doesn't work out then I'll have another nostalgic piece to take up space in my garage.
I didn't realize Jackson was so close to Lodi so we ended up getting a bite to eat at the Flying J, big mistake! We were going to get something at that real popular place in Jackson, Mel's or something like that, but there was a 45 minute wait. Next time we'll call before we head that way instead of waiting until the last second :)
oh hey, look what I found on my computer :D
Waterski Champ?? (http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/movies/?action=view&current=traci2.flv)
LMAO, oh thanks! Pretty good for FIRST time out after 3 years and 2 surgeries on the bionic arm and the coldest ****ing water I've ever skied in! :rollside: I'm back on my game now....... :)

Rexone
09-26-2006, 08:20 AM
LOL ditto, I'd like to hang that on the garage wall next to the Maha. :rollside:
Hey now you're beatin up on my ski. Wood 360.
I started skiing about 1972 on a Vogue. Under $100 at the time. :p

disco_charger
09-26-2006, 08:35 AM
I have
2 Maha Classic Woods (one is about 38 years old)
2 360's ( a wood one and a glass one)
1 Bob Lapoint Grafite
I like good skis!