PDA

View Full Version : Carmax Sucks!!!

BlackedoutF250
09-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Took my truck down to carmax today and had them appraise it. They gave me a quote of 29k and kelly blue book has a trade in value of 33800.00 where the heck does Carmax come up with there trade in values. They told me that it was a great deal too and I should take it lol.
John

Outnumbered
09-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Took my truck down to carmax today and had them appraise it. They gave me a quote of 29k and kelly blue book has a trade in value of 33800.00 where the heck does Carmax come up with there trade in values. They told me that it was a great deal too and I should take it lol.
John
Very few dealers will give you the KBB trade in value. The only time you are going to get it is if they can make up the loss on the car you are buying. "Show you more" on your trade. So, you are not really getting what you think you are for your trade since you are not getting the best deal on the new purchase. Follow me?
Most full size trucks are going $5k back of book right now, from what I have heard from bros I have that are in the biz. That is $5k below WHOLSESALE book. So the deal Carmax is offering may be the going price. Used trucks are way soft right now. If you want a fair price for your rig you have to sell it yourself. How is the dealer going to make a profit on your trade if they pay you street value for it?
Good luck.

Kev-o
09-22-2006, 09:28 PM
How about some pics of this thing? I love some of the rigs i see in the background of the boat shots.

doesitfloat?
09-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Very few dealers will give you the KBB trade in value. The only time you are going to get it is if they can make up the loss on the car you are buying. "Show you more" on your trade. So, you are not really getting what you think you are for your trade since you are not getting the best deal on the new purchase. Follow me?
Most full size trucks are going $5k back of book right now, from what I have heard from bros I have that are in the biz. That is $5k below WHOLSESALE book. So the deal Carmax is offering may be the going price. Used trucks are way soft right now. If you want a fair price for your rig you have to sell it yourself. How is the dealer going to make a profit on your trade if they pay you street value for it?
Good luck.
Exactly...
What did you expect? ...Carmax to offer you full KBB and then sell it at full KBB? They are a good dealer but they're still a business who needs to make profit to operate.

BlackedoutF250
09-23-2006, 01:59 AM
Well considering everyone was telling me they would offer kbb plus 5% and considering the wholesale is 33k and the retail from a dealer is 43k I thought that was pretty fair but 29k naw. Anyways thanks guys for the support, guess Ill just sell it myself.
thanks John

ratso
09-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Kelly Blue Book is a joke...

Caribbean Jet
09-23-2006, 06:53 AM
I believe that Carmax's deal is that they sell their stuff at or below Kelly Blue book prices.

HocusPocus
09-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Kelly Blue Book is a joke...
why is it a joke? seems almost every finance company uses it and i have yet to see an auto salesmen without one.

ratso
09-23-2006, 07:08 AM
why is it a joke? seems almost every finance company uses it and i have yet to see an auto salesmen without one.
I'm not in any mood for a pissing match son... Excuse me for giving my "educated" opinion on something. I think NADA is a joke too. Neither of these can cover the market across the entire US. It's basically a guideline and if you don't know what the "real" market is doing, you can get fukked real quick... Yeah, follow those... lmfao

LAND_LOVER69
09-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Dealers use a wholesale black book. Waht kind of truck is it. year make and model. I'm a dealer on the east coast but I might be able to help with a true value

ratso
09-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Dealers use a wholesale black book. Waht kind of truck is it. year make and model. I'm a dealer on the east coast but I might be able to help with a true value
I was going to get to that... Thank you.

dasburb
09-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Unfortunately I am in the business and trucks and suv's are very soft. I have been selling 06 pickups at 6 to 8 grand back of wholesale book and they are going down every day! Wholesale on an 06 Expedition right now is about 10 grand back of wholesale book! It is a buyers market and I don't see it changing for quite a while. If you want to get the most money for your used truck, sell it yourself.

LAND_LOVER69
09-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Unfortunately I am in the business and trucks and suv's are very soft. I have been selling 06 pickups at 6 to 8 grand back of wholesale book and they are going down every day! Wholesale on an 06 Expedition right now is about 10 grand back of wholesale book! It is a buyers market and I don't see it changing for quite a while. If you want to get the most money for your used truck, sell it yourself.
Amen brother

Red Horse
09-23-2006, 07:59 AM
About how much is that off sticker and do you think the trend will last till early 09. Reason I ask is I am military in Japan and am going to buy a 3/4 ton diesel Ford or Dodge when I get back. AAFES offers a vehicle program overseas right about 4% over invoice and I am wondering if that will be the way to go or not.
Opinons welcomed :cool:

ratso
09-23-2006, 08:18 AM
I tell you, I can't remember the market ever being this screwed up... Crazy!!!

RitcheyRch
09-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Now is definitely the time to buy a truck or SUV. I see all the dealers offering huge discounts. This is the first time have seen Toyota offer discounts on their trucks as well.

ratso
09-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Now is definitely the time to buy a truck or SUV. I see all the dealers offering huge discounts. This is the first time have seen Toyota offer discounts on their trucks as well.
...in a lot of cases with 0%APR.

HocusPocus
09-23-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm not in any mood for a pissing match son... Excuse me for giving my "educated" opinion on something.
seems like your the one looking for a pissing match.. i was just asking a question and your only 2 years older then i am.. so please don't call me son.
I think NADA is a joke too. Neither of these can cover the market across the entire US. It's basically a guideline and if you don't know what the "real" market is doing, you can get fukked real quick... Yeah, follow those... lmfao
did i say anything about the market??

ratso
09-23-2006, 08:59 AM
seems like your the one looking for a pissing match.. i was just asking a question and your only 2 years older then i am.. so please don't call me son.
did i say anything about the market??
"THAN I am"... and I spell better. :D Hope you can count so you can add up your options on the Kelly Blue Book site...oh wait, you're okay, the computer does that for you... :boxingguy

RitcheyRch
09-23-2006, 09:02 AM
And that too. Huge discounts and excellent financing.
...in a lot of cases with 0%APR.

ratso
09-23-2006, 09:05 AM
HP... check your PM's :D

Outnumbered
09-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Sounds like it is much worse than it was last time I checked with my bros. I am sure glad I leased this time. I'd be 10k upside down if not :eek: I'll be giving it back and leasing another in a few months. Or maybe I'll pick up one of these 2005's for $10k back :D

Biglue
09-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Damn.....I just bought my truck a year ago and as far a s a trade in, it's worth what I owe. I put down 13K as I gave my old truck up as a trade in. I thought I would have some equity in it. :cry: :mad:

gqchris
09-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Good luck.
This is exactly right. To add to what Outnumbered said, we use a system called ACV, also known as the Black Book. It stands for Actual Cash Value. It dials the system every time you punch in a vehicle and it gives you EXACT market conditions to return a figure. It also monitors how much vehicles sold for Auctions recently, gas prices, etc etc. Trucks and SUV's are WAY soft right now. I have seen 7-8k behind WHOLESALE. Also take into consideration that most dealers charge you reconditioning fees, new tires , cleaning, dent repair etc. So that always comes out of the value. Last but not least, most do not give you extra money for low mileage like KBB does online. It just Zeros out. Hope this helps a little.