PDA

View Full Version : More Real Estate Questions

wsuwrhr
09-24-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm just thinking out loud here....
We have been tossing around the idea of pulling up stakes and moving back to Rancho C, Upland, Alta Loma, something like that.
Not a new house.
We have decent equity, the 30 fwy is supposed to be compete in early '07, the market seems to have leveled off for the most part. Maybe it is time to sell to another first-time home buyer.
I know I will be buying up. In house and property.
We used to live out there, our families and friends are there. Mabey it is time for some little ones, I don't think SB is the place.
What do you guys think?
Throw some ideas at me.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-24-2006, 07:36 AM
For what we spend in gas, we could easily add $4-500 to the payment by being closer.
I am really kicking myself for buying out here in the first place.
I convinced myself that the drive wasn't so bad.
Brian

ahhell
09-24-2006, 07:42 AM
Id get out of San Berdoo
I have family there and was there at sometime my whole life. There are nice places left but not like it used to be, and I believe if you do move again in the future youll get more bang for your buck out of the Rancho area.....my .02

wsuwrhr
09-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Our neighborhood is actually quite nice. A few of the neighbors are original owners, mostly middle aged families. The houses around here are pretty kept up.
But I agree with what you are saying.
"If I knew now, what I didn't know then." We would have just knucked down and bought out there.
Brian
Id get out of San Berdoo
I have family there and was there at sometime my whole life. There are nice places left but not like it used to be, and I believe if you do move again in the future youll get more bang for your buck out of the Rancho area.....my .02

Outnumbered
09-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Id get out of San Berdoo
Exactly. I grew up in Lake Arrowhead and we always had to go to Berdo for certain things that we could not get in the mountains. Always hated it. My wife grew up in Upland/RC. I have had an appraisal company in SB since 1996. So, I know the area pretty well.
If I had a chance to bail, I would go. You will be happier and probably ahead financially in the long run. Also, if you have kids or will have kids, you must consider the schools. RC area would be a great improvement.
I say go for it!

slink
09-24-2006, 08:43 AM
If you choose Upland make sure it's north of foothill blvd

wsuwrhr
09-24-2006, 09:08 AM
If you choose Upland make sure it's north of foothill blvd
As far up as I could get.
I used to rent on 19th and after the freeway was started I moved to 23rd.
Brian

slink
09-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Brian
That's the high $$$ district

Outnumbered
09-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Brian
That was what I was going to say. Applies to most of that area. Buy as far up the hill as you can afford. Generally nicer the closer to the foothills you get.

AirtimeLavey
09-24-2006, 10:12 AM
I live in Upland, and work in Real Estate with my office located in Victoria Gardens in Rancho. Graduated Upland HS, then moved all around LA, and back to Upland in '88. The area is getting nicer and nicer. Over the past few years, young families have been moving in and upgrading a lot of the older houses. Upland is unique in that you have areas of new, and areas of older. Overall, it looks like an upscale mid-western neighborhood, with the mature trees, street lamps, and village, etc. The city has really been spending money and it shows. Anything above Foothill is now looking very nice. Above 16th (Baseline) is another step up, and above the 210 is even nicer, then into the high end San Antonio Heights up top, on the way to Mt. Baldy.
I like that we're less than an hour to the beach (although we also have a place in Laguna), less than an hour to the mountains (ski resorts), half hour to Pasadena, and less than an hour to LA. Only 4 hours +/- to Mammoth or Havasu/Laughlin.
Rancho has some very nice areas as well, with the only real draw back being the wind out there. In some areas, it gets REAL windy. Alta Loma has probably the best schools around, although some of the north Upland schools are great as well. Out here, you get land w/the house. The older ones, anyway. I'm on 10,800, which for a suburban neighborhood nowadays, is nice.
Feel free to give me a call, or email, and I'll fill you in more, and answer any questions you have. You can also check out my website for info on the area.
Good luck with whatever you decide. :D :cool:

wsuwrhr
09-25-2006, 06:51 AM
For those who post from work....

wsuwrhr
09-25-2006, 08:21 AM
bump

catman-do
09-25-2006, 01:59 PM
We live in Rancho just off milliken and the 210 and love the neighborhood. I havent had a windy day in about a year, but it can get windy every so often. If in rancho stay above baseline from the upland border to haven and then from haven to the 15 you can go down to foothill. Upland is a very nice area as long as you are above baseline. You can buy our house!!! 515K, 1400 sf, 8k sqft lot, and a ton of mature palms.

Scream
09-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Alta Loma and North Upland/San Antonio Hts are your best bet. If thinking about Alta Loma (where we live) you definately wan't to be West of Archibald to stay out of the wind. And above the 210 to reduce the traffic.
We do have great schools and proprety values are continuing to climb. Most houses above Banyan have 1/2 acre lots zoned for horses, however about 1 in 500 have them...
Good luck in the move where ever you land.
Scream

Outnumbered
09-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Claremont's nice too. My folks moved to Upland because the SB county sales tax is 1/2 cheaper...
When I grew up in Chino everyone in the neighborhood was the same age. All the parents had finally gotten a down together about the same time they had their first kid and moved into a tract house as they opened up.
When I went to college it was a whole different vibe. I lived in Alhambra, Old houses, new houses, huge variation of people in neighborhoods.
A lot of Claremont is like that, young families, middleaged, old. Big trees, good schools. 2 drawbacks, the McMansions up by Mills and Old Baldy road, and many of the houses were built without provisions for boat parking. The city doesn't permit parking boats/RV/trailers/etc parked in the driveway or out front, so be sure there's a side yard or extendable garage. Check Upland and RC's codes while you're looking.
You forgot the other drawback...Snoop Dogg has a place there :D

ChumpChange
09-25-2006, 02:39 PM
You forgot the other drawback...Snoop Dogg has a place there :D
He doesn't live there anymore. He moved out about five years ago. His mother lived there for a while. One of my fraternity brothers lived two houses down. We'd be throwing a party at his house thinking we had a big party until Snoop was having them on the same night. No matter how high we turned up the stereo, you could always hear Snoop's. Made walking out to your car fun too with some of the crowd there.

essexjet
09-25-2006, 02:39 PM
I work in Upland, we are on the golf course at Upland Hills and love this city (from the office northward). I think you should pull up stakes and get out of Berdo!

Outnumbered
09-25-2006, 02:56 PM
He doesn't live there anymore. He moved out about five years ago. His mother lived there for a while. One of my fraternity brothers lived two houses down. We'd be throwing a party at his house thinking we had a big party until Snoop was having them on the same night. No matter how high we turned up the stereo, you could always hear Snoop's. Made walking out to your car fun too with some of the crowd there.
Bet the neighbors were happy when he moved. Where did he go? I thought I saw something about him coaching football there recently. Bet the parents were thrilled to have such a role model as a coach.

ChumpChange
09-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Bet the neighbors were happy when he moved. Where did he go? I thought I saw something about him coaching football there recently. Bet the parents were thrilled to have such a role model as a coach.
Although he lived in Claremont, the native people weren't really his style :rollside: . He started a football league in Compton I think.

wsuwrhr
09-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Well Airtime Lavey came to our home tonight and spent a few hours with us. We liked what he had to say, seemed organized and well spoken. Mopar liked A-Lavey as well.
We decided to go with him to sell our house and buy another home back in the bachelor hood.
A-Lavey, it was good to meet you. I have high hopes and good expectations for our endeavor.
Brian

whiteworks
09-25-2006, 09:13 PM
somthing to consider, there is some good redevelopement stuff going on in the downtown area. some of the surrounding neighborhoods have been zoned historical and there are special loans available to rehab these properties if your in to that sort of thing. I think that is where the deals in upland are. P.S. with the money you save send the kids to private school.

wsuwrhr
09-25-2006, 09:20 PM
No kids yet, at this time we are intensely practicing to get the technique down perfect.
Brian
P.S. with the money you save send the kids to private school.

whiteworks
09-25-2006, 09:22 PM
well thats even better buy a bungalow fix it up and then later rent it out and buy your way up the hill.

bigq
09-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Lived in Rancho for 10 years and moved out because of all the traffic. gets to be too much, although building out in this area is crazy.

wsuwrhr
09-25-2006, 09:40 PM
We were honestly thinking about Yucaipa but the drive would be worse than what it is now.
I wanted the land that I could get in Yucaipa, it is really hard choice though. We just want to be close to our family and friends again.
Brian
Lived in Rancho for 10 years and moved out because of all the traffic. gets to be too much, although building out in this area is crazy.

bigq
09-25-2006, 09:48 PM
We were honestly thinking about Yucaipa but the drive would be worse than what it is now.
I wanted the land that I could get in Yucaipa, it is really hard choice though. We just want to be close to our family and friends again.
Brian
Well sounds like you made a good choice. i'll even help a little. Think about when you do have kids and how nice it will be to drop them off with the family for a nite out or whatever, it will help and the family gets to see the kids also. If you are looking to have kids that is. :rollside:
My wife parents live in Calimesa so i know of what i speak. :D

wsuwrhr
09-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Yep. Exactly.
Long story short...
My grandmother(moms side) lived in the LBC when I was growing up, didn't see her very much, as a result, I am not very close to her.
My father's family all lived in upstate New York. I only saw them three times in my life, my dad's parents have passed on and I never even knew them.
Kinda sad.
Brian
Well sounds like you made a good choice. i'll even help a little. Think about when you do have kids and how nice it will be to drop them off with the family for a nite out or whatever, it will help and the family gets to see the kids also. If you are looking to have kids that is. :rollside:
My wife parents live in Calimesa so i know of what i speak. :D

AirtimeLavey
09-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Well Airtime Lavey came to our home tonight and spent a few hours with us. We liked what he had to say, seemed organized and well spoken. Mopar liked A-Lavey as well.
We decided to go with him to sell our house and buy another home back in the bachelor hood.
A-Lavey, it was good to meet you. I have high hopes and good expectations for our endeavor.
Brian
Good to meet you and Mrs. Wsuwhr, and Mopar, of course. You've got a nice home and an impressive workshop.
Looking forward to working w/you and getting you into the right place. :D :cool:

SHOTKALLIN
09-26-2006, 09:36 AM
getting out of san berdoo sounds like a bood deal. the security guards at the mall carry 9mm's for a reason.