PDA

View Full Version : marble counter tops

bchbum
09-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Went to Home Depot today, to look at granite tiles . Wife saw marble tiles ,that she liked alot more . Will marble 12x12 tiles work for kitchen counters ? :cool:

locogringo
09-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Yes but they don't show well under wear and tear depending on the circumstances.

Jesster
09-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Marble is generally not recommended for kitchens.
PROS
Depth of color
Smooth non-stick finish
CONS
Soft
Needs regular application of sealant
Can be etched by acids such as vinegar
Subject to oil stains, rust stains,
Can lose shine with hard wear (usually only a problem in marble
floors)
Efflorescence - appears as a white powdery residue on the surface of
the stone – reaction to water.
We did granite tile a year or so ago and couldn't be happier with the decision.

msc5195
09-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Went with the 12 x 12 granite tiles from Home Depot and we love them. Easy to install and very durable.
http://images7.fotki.com/v158/photos/7/78677/337629/Picture094-vi.jpg

YeLLowBoaT
09-24-2006, 11:17 PM
you can get a prefab top from china for cheaper then you can buy the tiles...
Actaully cheaper then you can have the bull nose put on for...

a catered life
09-25-2006, 06:54 AM
do tell..where from and do you have a contact?

Jesster
09-25-2006, 08:53 AM
do tell..where from and do you have a contact?
If I remember past posts yellowboat is a contractor so has the hookup. I dont know how much he is talking but I did my kitchen with 12x12 tiles (Baltic Borwn) about 55 sq/ft and the Prefab Roman Ogee (not orgy :crossx: ) bullnose and corners with tumbled travertine backsplash for about 1500.00. I did it myself so saved a lot on labor.

a catered life
09-25-2006, 09:29 AM
If I remember past posts yellowboat is a contractor so has the hookup. I dont know how much he is talking but I did my kitchen with 12x12 tiles (Baltic Borwn) about 55 sq/ft and the Prefab Roman Ogee (not orgy :crossx: ) bullnose and corners with tumbled travertine backsplash for about 1500.00. I did it myself so saved a lot on labor.
that is a dam good price :p

YeLLowBoaT
09-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Actaully I do have a Granite guy.( old friend) for a 8ft blank its 150-250 Then you add in the sink holes and stuff.

ROZ
09-25-2006, 07:32 PM
You can buy 12x12 field granite tiles and either get seperate 2x12 corners(ogee or the other) or you can get edge tiles that have an ogee corner built onto them... Done both.... If it's a small area, you may find that going slab may only be a few hundred more.... You can save a few bucks by doing your own demo and mount your 3/4" ply starter... That way the granite guy only has to do the slab...
If you don't buy a prefab corner, you can grind and polish the top edge fairly easily....

DMOORE
09-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Go granite. You wont be sorry. Marble is much too porous. Spill wine on it and it isn't coming out. Not a good trait for counter tops to have.
Darrell.

gsb_77_xl
09-26-2006, 04:12 PM
I used to work for a company that sold all types of counter tops. Granite is beautiful. Some peices have a very "deep" look to them, but is is subject to thermal shock, so dont set a hot pan on it or it could crack from the sudden change in temparature. It is fairly hard but if something hard hits the edge (like a heavy skillet) it can crumble easily and is not repairable (unless you use tiles and can pop a broken one out and replace it). Round and bull nose edges are less likley to chip than square edges. You have to seal granite tops every 3 or 4 years to keep the pores closed and to maintain the glossy look and the stain resistance.
If money is an object of little concern, you should look into quartz tops. They lack the beautiful swirls of some of the granite peices, but it is damn near indestructable. Quartz tops are man made and repairable. It is basically crushed peices of rock bonded together with a very hard setting glue. They are also non porous, making them a much safer surface to prepare meals like chicken and pork on, as there is no place for the bacteria to hide. I have only had dealings with "Silestone" and "Avanza" quartz tops there are many more out there, just do your homework. Hell they even have a red one and a blue one that has a really glittery look to it, it kinda looks like a bass boat on your cabinets.

Desert Rat
09-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Try here, this guy has some outstanding prices even after shipping..... Quiet a mark up here on the west coast on this stuff!
http://www.stonelocator.com/

a catered life
09-26-2006, 05:28 PM
WHAT UP PAUL!!!!!! nice site haz a lot of info

Jay Vern
09-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Been doing this for over 10 years Granite for sure, don't do marble in the kitchen. I work for Bedrosian Tile & Marble. I supplied some materials for "Community"(in the boards) we did prefabs in his kitchen and it looks bitchen. Nice tumbled travertine backsplash and 16 x 16's on the floor.
Send a PM if you are interested
Jason