PDA

View Full Version : When Is The Right Time To Put Him Down

SummerBreeze
09-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Yeah I have had a tough week with my dog. He can't get up any more. He still eats and drinks. He's an old guy now and I don't think he is in any pain. But the quality of life from now on sucks. I bring him inside and he wants out.
I am just drained from watching him fail.

Eliminator 4 Life
09-24-2006, 09:01 PM
summer breeze tough call man. I had my dog 16 years and I found myself in your shoes. I was actually hoping she would pass on her own but it never happened and it looked like she was suffering hip disploseia (sp) hearing was going and her eye sight. I had my dog since I was in 4th grade and its probably been 4 years now since I put her down. I tell you its rough taking her in there and putting her to sleep especially when you are in the room with them I think back on that day still wondering if it was the right thing to do. And to this day since im such a dog lover it brings tears to my eyes. So I wish you the best of luck..

Nord
09-24-2006, 09:02 PM
I lost my lab last year. He was in pain though, so I felt it was the right thing to do. If he can't get up at all...........boy thats tough. I would give it a little time and see if he is just plane miserable.
Sorry, I went through this and it can be worse than loosing a family member!!
~NORD~

doesitfloat?
09-24-2006, 09:03 PM
I've had to do it to my 16 yo dog...major tear jerker for me. Do what's right for the dog...not for you or your family. If he's not living a good life...put him down now.
I was a party once where the owners had a 14 yo poodle who had lost all of it's hair, was blind, couldn't control it's bladder, and had a permanent hard on that required them to put ointment on the red poker. I asked them why in hell they hadn't put it down yet? They're answer: "Cause were not ready yet." BS...if you love the dog, put it down.

ThongMagnet
09-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Follow your vets advice. If its time, you will know as well. Your dog knows you'll always love them, and that is all what counts in the end. Good luck and god bless.

Big H
09-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Had to put one of my dogs down once and I was about 21 at the time. Definitely a heart wrenching experience but a necessary evil as a responsible animal owner. Never stopped me from having another pet though and I would bet that you will too.

3 daytona`s
09-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Yeah I have had a tough week with my dog. He can't get up any more. He still eats and drinks. He's an old guy now and I don't think he is in any pain. But the quality of life from now on sucks. I bring him inside and he wants out.
Hey I had a beautiful German Shepard that was guaranteed hips, well you know what happens.The poor guy, about 2 years old starts with what I knew was the beginning of the end.I love Shepards they need space to run to be free they are so marvelous.I will have one again when I can give him the space to run his ASS off and come back with me and curl up under the computer and life is good.I watched Dago decline to the point I`ll never regret calling my Vet.He was one of the guys that did not like doing this.He after several pleading,crying conversations agreed to do it only if I would be there.I realize people who do not own pets can`t understand and laugh at us who become so attached, so in love with them that it is a part of our life our existence and just could not accept life with without them.Please believe me I was holding my fathers hand when passed away and with Dago when he died those were defining moments in my life.I loved both of them so much it still hurts,I know both of them loved me also,but I know for sure only one of those two had unconditional love for me. :(

Riomouse911
09-24-2006, 09:26 PM
About 2 years ago my bud of 14 years got close to the same state you're guy's is in, and I had to put him down and remember the good times we had... I usta say the only three things that were constant in my life during my divorce was my daughter smiling when she saw me every week, my Toyota truck starting every time I put the key in, and Motts jumping and wagging his tail when I got home from work.. I feel for you, it's a tough loss for anyone.

SummerBreeze
09-24-2006, 09:31 PM
I just brought him again and he is acting a little spacie. But calm. I hope we can sleep and I will decide what to do in the morning

Jyruiz
09-24-2006, 10:04 PM
That sucks, but do like ThongMagnet said and fallow your vets advice.

acatitude
09-24-2006, 10:42 PM
i had my rot for 14 years obediance and protection trained and it was really sad putting her down.... I took her I think to wendies on the way to the vet and me and my g/f daughter both cried when she looked up at us as if to say bye..... she knew.. in fact its making me teary right now so im outa here and not gonna think about it or read any more of this thread... good luck with it

Rexone
09-25-2006, 12:06 AM
I feel your pain. I've been through this multiple times. All I can say is when the joy of living is gone and the tail has stopped wagging even a little, it's probably about time. I don't think there is a real defining "right" moment many times.
Whatever you decide to do, don't second guess yourself and know you did the best you could for him.
:clover:

VanDeano
09-25-2006, 01:39 AM
Dude I totally feel your pain and I know it really sucks. I just recently put my chow down and I was devastated to say the lest. I had comfort that she went away peacefully in my arms. Ask the vet if they can give her a sedative shot before the sleeper shot. I heard some vets don't do it, but insist that they do it. It really helps to make sure your dog goes peacefully. My vet was the best, she new all the right things to say even though I was to emotional to speak. After wards I had her cremated and I haven't yet decided where to spread her ashes.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/786Ttshii.jpg

boatsnblondes
09-25-2006, 02:03 AM
A lot of people on here have given you some great advice, but in the end, you'll just know what to do..it will come easy to you, and help you get through it a little better. Knowing you did the right thing, makes it all a little easier. Remember that. Now, what to do about all that leftover love that you still have?? Best advice I ever got was to go straight out and get another dog...transfer the love, your not replacing your old buddy, just taking those emotions and doing something with them....take care, and be well.....

RitcheyRch
09-25-2006, 04:27 AM
Tough decision. My parents recently put their yellow lab down. The dog was about 16 years old and had never been sick in his life. In the last year or so he lost his hearing and lost some of his vision. The last few months he began to eat less and less. Parents decided was in the dogs best interest to put him down. Was sad for the entire family since was such an excellent dog and companion. RIP Bear.

v-drive
09-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Our lab has never been healthy but from the time we got him he was part of our family. We found out about hip displacia(sp) when he was 8mos old. He is now only 10 but blind and going deaf. I feel for you knowing this time is near for me. v-drive

THOR
09-25-2006, 05:55 AM
I hate reading this stuff knowing that one day I'll have to do it to my Golden. I have done it one other time and it almost made me not want to have a dog anymore. It was that bad.

lawbreaker2
09-25-2006, 06:21 AM
I know where your coming from right now, My little guy, is 5 years old and has 3 sliped disc in his back, and he is in alot of pain, He has been takeing alot of drugs to hold on and see what happens. But in the end I know what is going to happen, Hope not. :cry:

ahhell
09-25-2006, 06:26 AM
youll know when you look at him and , like in another post, theres no more tail wag, no more 'smile'.....dammit im crying while typing this,...... yeah ive done it before, and ill do i again
Bob

jh4rt
09-25-2006, 06:32 AM
Dogs / pets / animals are our friends. But, you have to keep in mind that they are domesticated animals. They do not have the capacity to understand the sanctity of life / love, etc... They live moment to moment. If they could make their own choice, when in pain and unable to care for themselves, they would likely crawl into a hole and pass.
It is very difficult, but it is up to us to make the decision for them. We make the decision at times to extend their lives...and believe me it is never for them; always for us.
So, enjoy your time with him. And when it is time, be comforted in knowing that you are easing his pain and ending his time gracefully.
Best Regards to you and your buddies.

racecar.hotshoe
09-25-2006, 06:41 AM
Im with you man I had to put my 13 yr old rotty down.He came down with diabetes (sp?)It hurt kinda like putting your kid down.But it was the best thing to do.I just took him the night before and gave him a bath,We all hung out with him all night and I thanked him for the years of taking care of my family while I was on the road with my job.I cryed all the way to and from the vet.........A sad day but I had to do it,Mark

SnakeWrench
09-25-2006, 06:46 AM
To many of us, their dogs are family, not a pet.
Hernando and I have the same love for dogs and if anyone has ever been in the shop, you know that Igor is there every day. It is like asking when it's a good time to put your Dad to sleep. I look at it like this. Do you put a human that has poor quality of life to sleep? No, so why put your dog down. If you need to help him in or out of the house, than accept that and make him as happy as you can, so when his day does come, you will feel much better about the fact that you made his last days the best they could be abd showed him how much you love him by carrying him outside, or wiping his butt if he needs. I just don't like to hear of someone puting down a dog that isn't in severe pain.
God knows we have all been in that position one time or another. I'll say a prayer for you in all thia because it is a tough time.

little rowe boat
09-25-2006, 06:56 AM
I had my Rotty for 14 yrs. he was a member of our family. When it got to the point that he could no longer get up and go outside to relieve himself,I new it was time. When a dog will lay there and poop and pee on himself you know he has to be in pain. One of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make. On Oct. 12th it will have been 2 yrs that we had to let him go. We still have pictures of him all over the house. :cry: