PDA

View Full Version : Quitting the dunes

Magic34
09-25-2006, 11:01 PM
After some thought, and looking at my schedule, the wife and I have decided to sell off the dunes stuff. This isn't a spam thread, just seeing if anyone else has the same thoughts or if I am nuts.
The most I would be able to go this year is 4-5 times max, and then the trailer sits until the next season. It's a ton of work keeping up with all the crap (trailer, bikes, etc.) too, but that isn't the issue.
I am going to keep the Rhino and continue with the build stuff on it (long travel, motor, paint, etc).
Just seems as time goes on, I dont have the energy to put 100% into the dunes in the winter and 100% in the boat during the other 8 months. This decision seems clear as we only go to the dunes from Early December throught eh end of February and then the boat is out again. We use the boat until mid November.
I need a couple of months off each year from the travel schedule, and I'm not giving up the boat, and I have to stay busy traveling for business, so to free up some weekends, it seems the dunes have to go. I'll still make a trip or 2 with the Rhino and some other friends each season, just not all balls out with a 40' trailer and all the other toys like I do now.
I know I'm rambling, but is this a mistake? Right now, doesn't feel like one. Anyone else do this only to buy new stuff all over again the following year because they missed it too much?

ROZ
09-25-2006, 11:06 PM
I gave up on the desert 13 years ago....

MudPumper
09-25-2006, 11:09 PM
This way you won't have to worry about the invasion of the Raider Nation that is happening in the dunes either.

Tom Brown
09-25-2006, 11:23 PM
The thing about selling stuff you're not using is that you can replace it if you find your lifestyle changes such that you want it again. I'd rather do that than have a bunch of stuff sitting around, falling into disrepair, and losing value.

OCMerrill
09-26-2006, 01:09 AM
We gave up Glamis about 4 years ago. Just at the time of the central closure. Our group was spinning towards long travel buggies ($$$) and my wife, prego with our son, decided to give it up in fear of getting hurt and not being able to be a mom as she saw fit.
I left an Engineering Job and started a Property Maint. business about the same time and also feared "not being able" to work. I have been hurt in the dunes many times and fear was starting to set in a bit. The absolute worst rider is the one who rides with fear.
And...the place just sucks crazy busy and it was getting hard to fight it all the time. We ended up making summer trips and riding all night to avoid the peeps. During the day we slept. Good times...nothing like summer sand and a full moon....Sorry not helping.
So quads were sold not a big investment as we kept and still use our motor home about a whopping 5x a year. Busy schedules. I still miss my banshee. 68 RWHP Trinity built with tons of goodies. :cry:
Now 4 years later we have a Jeep Rubicon and I bought the kids small quads. We are going to work the desert for a while and maybe Glamis once a year if we can find some family oriented group to go with.
Who knows?
You can always return on scene scaled back at a later date. Now is the time to sell that stuff if you going to.

djunkie
09-26-2006, 01:55 AM
This way you won't have to worry about the invasion of the Raider Nation that is happening in the dunes either.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18084&stc=1

djunkie
09-26-2006, 01:56 AM
I am going to keep the Rhino and continue with the build stuff on it (long travel, motor, paint, etc).
Damm!!!!!!!!!!
I don't blame you one bit for wanting to take a break. I don't know how a lot of you can do all that year round. I may take a trip or 2 but to have the whole get up (rails, toy haulers, etc) and all the river stuff too, is a lot of work to me. And too much money for me too. :cry:

framer1
09-26-2006, 04:24 AM
Sounds like my boating life. Going to Havasu this weekend , it will only be my fourth time out.... Hardly worth it :rolleyes: $4900 for ins. you do the math :cry:

cc322
09-26-2006, 04:30 AM
Damm!!!!!!!!!!
I don't blame you one bit for wanting to take a break. I don't know how a lot of you can do all that year round. I may take a trip or 2 but to have the whole get up (rails, toy haulers, etc) and all the river stuff too, is a lot of work to me. And too much money for me too. :cry:
Ditto on what he said. We picked one and it was the river, boating that we love the best, and it takes all i got. Maybe throw in a Mammoth ski trip once a year. Good luck on the sale..

havasu5150
09-26-2006, 05:24 AM
We have also had that thought. We have only gone 2-3 times in the last couple of years due to scheduling issues. If we dont use the rail and Banshees more this year we are talking about selling. I also don't like the direction that Glamis is going. The closures are still not lifted, RAMP is not in effect. Clean Genes is closed. etc.

Todd969
09-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Hey Mike, it doesn't seem unrealistic at all. Why have thousands tied up in something you use a couple times a year. We are fortunate to have the desert in our backyard, eliminating the need for a toybox and traveling to Glamis,Dumont etc.
As an example, while playing golf at the Refuge sunday the back 9 borders crystal beach. There was a guy in a rail tearing up the dunes over there. A rhino and quads would be a blast in those hills. Very easy access and a house or hotel is just miles away.
Buy a big ( 18x8.5 ) H&H UT trailer and explore what the Mohave desert has to offer.
Ours holds 5 quads and 3 crf50's or 2 quads, 3crf50's and the rhino or mule.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0944.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0945.JPG

Sportin' Wood
09-26-2006, 06:13 AM
I gave up on Glamis12 years ago...... Still enjoy the desert, just don't go to Glamis. I Can't imagine what a mess it is now.

Tremor Therapy
09-26-2006, 06:26 AM
Mike,
Its all about what you think is right for you. You have very young kids, a business that is growing (and that requires a lot of your time), and you are finding time at a premium. About 15 years ago I gave up most of my desert toys. I did not like the direction the dunes were going (it is even worse now), so it was easy to decide which toys to keep. My wife does not really care for the dunes anymore, eventhough my last 2 kids are old enough to want to go. So I kept 1 quad, and will probably look into a couple of smaller quads for my kids, but I will never go all out like I once did. A flat bed trailer, a couple of quads, and a truck to pull them with is all I will ever have again.
I must admit that during boating season it was very hard to keep stumbling over the trailer full of bikes and watching my motorhome sit for 7 months!

Havasu1986
09-26-2006, 06:28 AM
I gave up on Glamis also. I was doing Havasu, Mammoth and Glamis. Something had to go. Todd969 how is the Refuge Golf course. I may bring my clubs next time. :boxed:

cola
09-26-2006, 06:36 AM
That happend in 1999 or 2000. :mad:

INSman
09-26-2006, 06:37 AM
I never got started on it, so I don't have to worry about giving it up.
With having a house out in Havasu now, I will just do some casual riding out there in the off boating season and look into a Rhino when they come out with the new 700 motors.

JetBoatRich
09-26-2006, 06:42 AM
we do the year round fun, desert in winter lake in summer :rolleyes:
We can be at a desert camping area away from people in about an hour, no big deal to over nighters :rolleyes: which we usually go every other weekend or so in the winter :cool:

havaduner
09-26-2006, 06:45 AM
Been thinking the same thing lately... We have a ton of money wrapped up in sand toys, 2 quads, long travel car, big trailer, big truck. We use it, made 20 trips last season. But, with a house on the lake, get in the car and go. Going to glamis, dealing with set up/breaking camp, the raider nation etc.....
Thinking about getting a couple Rhino's cruise the desert around the house sounds a lot better to me anymore.

OutCole'd
09-26-2006, 06:55 AM
Are Rhinos any fun in the sand? Do people put paddles on them?

havaduner
09-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Seen people run paddles, and a lot that dont. Air down with the right tires, they'll go everywhere.

phebus
09-26-2006, 07:07 AM
Doing the dirt thing is a lot of work. I gave it up due to a bad back, but now that I look back at it, I realize it was a ton of fun for years, but as the years wore on, the amount of work became greater then the amount of fun I was receiving from it. The trips became fewer because of it, and it was time to simplify my life.

sigepmock
09-26-2006, 07:11 AM
That's what we bought ours for originally!!!! They are a complete riot in the sand and I was very suprised with their ability to tackle all but the biggest dunes.
Here's what we did when faced with a similar choice....We tried to get toys that would work in both places so we could switch back and forth as our life style allowed us.....we got the motorhome and the spot in Havasu. The motorhome does double duty as our summer home in Havasu and our rolling home for Glamis. The best part is that this year we have the new boat and really want to stay longer in Havasu so we will....just leave the motorhome there until we're ready for a Glamis trip. The Rhino is great for both, we can explore the desert around Havasu or go bombing around in Glamis. The same goes for the little bikes, kids can ride them in both places.
Now we don't have a long travel car so we're not Big Pimping in Glamis but that's allright, we have a ton of fun in the Rhino and if I have the need for speed I just take out my bike. We haul everything on a flat bed trailer behind the moho for now and will probably upgrade to an enclosed trailer just to protect the bikes and Rhino better.
A house in Havasu sure would be nice but the motorhome works well for now and it gives us the option to switch back and forth. We find ourselves leaning one way or the other as time goes on. A few years ago we were loving the dunes and going everyother weekend and having a blast....then we got a little burnt out...so we started going to the river more.....I'm sure we'll get burned out on the river too and the little one will probably want to go to glamis more as she gets old enough to really start to ride so we'll swith back to Dune mode.
So that's my take on it.
Chris

Havasu47
09-26-2006, 07:28 AM
I have been thinking about the same thing lately. Been going to Glamis since I was a kid and am getting real tired of gettng woken up at 4:00 AM by some jerkoff visiting with his buds while reving his pos quad 3 feet from my motorhome.
We will be at Havasu the weekend of Oct 14th and then I have 1 1/2 weeks to get the motorhome, trailer, quads, bikes, etc. serviced and ready to go for Halloween. Make that 1 week because I have to take off a week of work and go early enough just to get a spot!
I think we will be doing more hard pack this year and less Glamis.
Maybe it will make us look forward to going there again.

Classic Daycruiser
09-26-2006, 07:58 AM
If your going to sell your sand toy's, now is the time. :cry: :cry: :cry: :idea:

Froggystyle
09-26-2006, 08:09 AM
I gave up on the desert before I started down here. I need the off-season to dial in the boat for the river, and when it all comes down to it, I would way rather be wet and getting tanned than covered in dirt and dealing with the BS crowd the desert attracts down here in So Cal.
I have always seen boating cutting down the riff-raff by orders of magnatude if you just move to where you need a boat to go. For example, if you go to Steamboat... you lose all of the drama from the channel and sandbar and enjoy boaters. No such thing in the desert. Every 16 year old black sock wearing, half-lifted 2WD Ranger driving idiot in SoCal is everywhere seeing where they can fit the next "Skin" sticker.
No thanks.
That being said, we are looking greatly forward to going exploring with the Rhino this winter and maybe going a couple of times to outlying areas looking for ghost towns and camping out.

Jordy
09-26-2006, 08:15 AM
I kind of got over the whole desert thing a few years ago. Was building a rail and sat down and started looking at the money I was throwing at it for something I did, back then, a couple times a month, sometimes more, and it didn't make any sense to me to have that much money tied up in something that I'd use 12 times a year, and at that point I hadn't even figured in a toy box. I still have my Banshee and CR, both '96's and both paid cash for, and try to make it out a couple times a year. Personally, I'd rather just go to the lake. Getting too old to camp out anymore. ;) :D
I definately know where you're coming from though Mike. As was pointed out, if you're going to sell it, now is the time to do it.

catman-do
09-26-2006, 08:40 AM
We've been doing that routine for the last 5 years or so and its starting to wear. From april-oct we go out to the lake about 2-3 weekends a mo and then halloween- easter out in glamis every other weekend. It gets a little tiring after a while. I also agree with someone else on here that as I get more responsibilities i cant afford to get hurt on my bike by some idiot. It seems the last few years people have discovered how fun it is out there and that buying a rail, rhino, or quad doesnt take any experience to go out and ride, until they kill someone. There are some good rail drivers (not many), very few people that should be driving rhinos, and hardly anyone that should be on a quad (about 3/4). I dont know if its the security of 4 wheels or what, but it seems a majority of those people dont pay attention to sh1t around them.
(you can probably guess that I ride bikes) :crossx:

wright27
09-26-2006, 08:40 AM
If my wife would let me I would give it up in a second. We do the desert at least 15-20 times a year outside of summer.The crazy drunk people that you come across with the helicopters taking people away I get stressed out every time the kids ride. I have been riding since 8 years old and now being 34 I have had more than my fair share of broken bones and dislocations. For me it is the fear factor. Getting older kinda sucks like that.
It use to be the rush overtook the pain, but now the pain overtakes the rush.

bohica
09-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Here's what you need to do, Sell the trailer & truck and pick up a nice pusher & enclosed trailer. Buy the long travel you always wanted and come camp with our group. I'll guaranteee you the adrenaline rush of hauling ass thru the dunes will make it worth the investment. It'll be much easier with the moho, especially with the wife and kids. I have more fun out in the sand than at Havasu. It's nice to circle up all your friends, dune all day and relax by a nice campfire at night. In Havasu we all have our own houses and at the end of the day everyone goes home. I've even contemplated selling the Havasu house and bringing the moho down to the Islander for the boating season. It sucks letting a 200K moho just sit the entire boating season.
Glamis is just like Havasu, sure there are the wild spots, but stay away from those places and it's just like heaven.

OCMerrill
09-26-2006, 09:14 AM
After reading all these posts and even mine again...
Looks like I should pass the moho along as well. 4-5x a year just is not enough. Using toys less than once a month should be a crime. Guilty.
Re: Glamis...Raider Nation...This is funny deal. Started out back in 1984 going constantly. You could leave your shit anywhere for days alone...nothing. Now you need an inverter to run the motion detector so the slime ass trying to steal your stuff can be detoured or caught. WTF is happening here.
All I can say is Johnson Valley on a busy weekend...is like 4 rigs per sq mile :rollside:

Mandelon
09-26-2006, 09:19 AM
I am already too old to get crazy with toys, but my kids are jonesing for quads or bikes. Momma says no. I'm not going to push it either.
We have a wrangler and we explore the desert. Mostly Borrego or other less crowded places. We cruise Ocotillo sometimes and I just don't get the joy of the crowds....I like to get away, a canyone where its so quiet, to set up where you don't hear anything but the occasional coyote or the flap of an owl's wings as it checks out our camp from overhead.
I put the camper on the back of the truck, the 4wd takes us up dirt roads where mohos and trailers don't go. Borrego only allows licensed vehicles, but Ocotillo or truckhaven is only a few miles or so away depending on where you go.
I completely understand your thoughts on it. Do it for a while, don't do it for a while. You can always go with friends or even buy stuff again. All that money spent now means you have to work a few years longer anyway...

Sportin' Wood
09-26-2006, 09:39 AM
All I can say is Johnson Valley on a busy weekend...is like 4 rigs per sq mile :rollside:
SSSSHhhhhhhh :)

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
09-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Quit the dunes 2 years ago and go the river year round. When about 100,000 more quit going I might go back. Miss it a lot but has also simpified things a bunch.

XTRM22
09-26-2006, 09:46 AM
I kinda understand this as well. Living here in Havasu I use my motorhome 2 weekends a year. I don't mind keepin it around cause it's a clean old sled that isn't worth much to anybody. We get out on our quads a couple times a year and they're like the motorhome old reliable and not really worth selling. I told my wife I wanted to sell my XR250 and she said no, even if I only ride it once a year, it's not worth as much cash in pocket as it's worth the fun that one time a year. I'd love a new quad or a Rhino, but it'sd just be another toy stting around not getting used enough.
Chuck

havaduner
09-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Quit the dunes 2 years ago and go the river year round. When about 100,000 more quit going I might go back. Miss it a lot but has also simpified things a bunch.
Thats my biggest fear. Sure, selling the toy box, sand car would make life easier, I'm afraid that as soon as I do that, go a couple winter months with no sand, I'll miss it, and then I'll have to start all over with the sand toy purchasing.

Magic34
09-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Mock... That is what is driving me nuts though. I'd love to bring the trailer out to Havasu, but June, July, and August are not my favorite months out there... AND making another trip with the trailer to set up and/or bring back, I dont have the time or energy for it.
It isn't that I dont enjoy the dunes, I have a great time there, but something has to give. From September 22 through November 18th, I am only home 1 weekend in that time. Now, there is a lake trip in there, but the rest is work or other commitments that I have to do. All of which make it so I am out of town each weekend. I just dont see how I could continue with this much longer.
I also know this is the time to sell if I do so. I have zero debt on my trailer, rhino, and quad, so it isn't like the payments are killing me, just the time to get it ready. In order to use the toyhauler, I need a full day to prep, and about 5 hours when we get back to clean it the way I like to.
Maybe a smaller trailer would make things easier, but that still doesn't help the fact that I need the time to do it.
To go to the lake, it is about 1 hour to get there if I go to the local lake that is furthest from my house. But to use the toyhauler at the dunes (which is where I mainly take it) it is 3 1/2 hours 1 way.
I dont want to give up the experience we have there, but I get pissed thinking about the work it takes and how little I can really use it.

sigepmock
09-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Ever think about storing the trailer in Glamis? There's a few places do the full deal...store them, clean them, etc....
Just a thought.
Our trailer was a lot of work to take care of and clean and get ready for a trip....so far the moho is easier but still work to get loaded up and ready....our OCD doesn't help :crossx: Glamis is cool but only if you really want to go. You have plenty of riding available close and for the kids...riding is riding...they just want to hang out with mom and dad and ride, it doesn't matter if it's Glamis or your back yard.
So sell the trailer to Brett, get a 20' enclosed for local trips, it will provide shade and place to hang-out/change/clean-up for the kiddies. Sneek a few local riding trips and be done with it. You can still make a trip or two to Glamis if the bug gets you....you know there's always room for you and the family with you friends....I bet the kids would rather sleep in tents anyway.
Plus everyone is correct...now is the time to sell.
Just keep some toys like the rhino and kids quads for when you do get the itch to go riding....
Chris

Magic34
09-26-2006, 10:16 AM
I should add...... My inlaws have a 3200 sq ft cabin where we have our own huge room for us, bacically the bottom floor is ours. It is 90 miles from my door to the door of the cabin. Takes me 75 minutes to get there. Once I get there, I park the truck and I am driving the Rhino all over. It is at 6500 ft. elevation with tons of trails. Nice weather up there as well. Our family is close, so this is just like having a cabin of my own with no payments. :) The Rhino is a blast up there. W take it to lunch and dinner every day too.

Bense468
09-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Sack Up Or Bow Out. I Will Be Doing Both.

Magic34
09-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Is there a rv park at Gordons Well as well? I thought I noticed one on the way back from San Diego.

XClutchboy725
09-26-2006, 10:24 AM
We do both and love it! If I did have to give up one or the other...
Don't tell my boat, but I'd keep the buggy in a heartbeat! (I never thought I would hear myself say that)

Jordy
09-26-2006, 10:28 AM
My inlaws have a 3200 sq ft cabin
A 3,200 sq ft cabin is called a house!!! :D :D :D

sigepmock
09-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Is there a rv park at Gordons Well as well? I thought I noticed one on the way back from San Diego.
Not sure but I'm sure someone will know over at GD.com

ChumpChange
09-26-2006, 10:37 AM
If any of the people in this thread have a WFB 28', my buddy is looking to buy one of those right now.
I think it is a WFB but it might be something else with three letters. WFB is the ticker symbol for Wells Fargo which is why I'm questioning if it is actually a WFB.

Ziggy
09-26-2006, 10:39 AM
With my investment into the quads long paid for I don't feel a financial pinch or guilt if not used enough. The crowds can be gnarley so we generally stay away on the holiday weekends...........Nor do we even camp near the crowds. To this day I can't understand why everyone wants to drive several hours to camp 5 feet away from 6 other rigs :idea: :rolleyes: :idea: With the slide-in camper on the truck we 4by it away from the crowds and enjoy our eves without thousands of partying fools raging til the wee hours of the morning.
Good luck on the sale, its prime time to do so.....

djunkie
09-26-2006, 10:54 AM
More like a mansion to someone broke like me. :cry:

Flyinbowtie
09-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Like Phebus, my back made me get rid of the rail a few years ago.
We got rid of our M.H. even before that. It was an 84, we bought it in 89, and sold it in 2000 having put a whopping 21k on it. It was a pain to maintain, and seemed like I was putting at least an hour of work into it for every hour on the road. It was too long to launch the boat with, as well.
The boys were getting older and doing their own thing, so a big RV doesn't make sense for me and Cindy.
We bought a Arctic Fox 990 cabover camper, it is perfect for us. The truck is always ready to go, and I can launch the boat with the camper on. It takes about 45 min to load and tie-down the camper, and put the Superhitch on.
I still have the enclosed trailer, the boys use it to haul their quads, and I might get a Rhino next spring, we want to do some exploring in northern Nevada with it, and take it to Sand Mountain as well.
I want to get back into the street rod scene, and I don't want to spend all my time maintaining toys. We put more hrs. on the Sanger than we ever did on the sand toys. When you find yourself working on this stuff like it is a full time job, it sorta takes the fun out of it, for me anyway.
M.H.'s are great if you use the heck out of them, if you don't, and they sit, they become a money pit, IMHO.

Magic34
09-26-2006, 11:02 AM
No, it is made out of 18" logs. :rollside: That says cabin all the way. :crossx:

Magic34
09-26-2006, 11:17 AM
We might try 1 early trip this year to see if we feel like we enjoy it enough to keep with it.
Last year really sucked for us with the Chevy 4500 POS that got stuck every time. So, we might give it 1 shot and see what we think. If it feels at all like it did last year, I'm done!
Logic says quit, but we'll see.

DesertGirl
09-26-2006, 11:52 AM
We love going to the river, but love the desert too. Glamis is a little too crowded for us now, and the kids have a hard time on two wheels in the sand.
We keep our stuff at a campground with full hookups in ocotillo wells. It's cheaper than any storage in OC, plus we dont burn fuel driving the RV and trailer out there. We would never give it up, but it's all about what is right for you. Good Luck!

MudPumper
09-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Raider Nation. Somebody needs to kick Alan in his dick for destroying that beautiful car with that rediculous paint jobhttp://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18084

djunkie
09-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Raider Nation. Somebody needs to kick Alan in his dick for destroying that beautiful car with that rediculous paint jobhttp://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18084
That was a sick car. Twin Turbo motor and all. But no matter how long I looked at it I couldn't get over the graphics. I just feel sorry for Deano since his booth was straight across from it. :yuk:
Oh and Magic34, I'm here when you wanna let that Rhino go. :rollside: :rollside:

Magic34
09-26-2006, 12:25 PM
That was a sick car. Twin Turbo motor and all. But no matter how long I looked at it I couldn't get over the graphics. I just feel sorry for Deano since his booth was straight across from it. :yuk:
Oh and Magic34, I'm here when you wanna let that Rhino go. :rollside: :rollside:
Rhino will never go regardless if the dunes are part of the program or not.

djunkie
09-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Rhino will never go regardless if the dunes are part of the program or not.
I probably couldn't afford it anyways. :cry: :cry:

Magic34
09-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Right now you could, but in the next 45 days or so maybe not. :D :crossx: :rollside:

OGShocker
09-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I hear they are coming out with the 125cc version just for you. :crossx:

djunkie
09-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Right now you could, but in the next 45 days or so maybe not. :D :crossx: :rollside:
I can only imagine what you have planned for it. For now I'd be happy as can be with a good ole green 660 stocker.

djunkie
09-26-2006, 12:45 PM
I hear they are coming out with the 125cc version just for you. :crossx:
I almost bought one this weekend. Went to Walts in Havasu and almost shit when he told me $10,500 OTD for the Green 660. Needless to say I walked out.

OGShocker
09-26-2006, 12:47 PM
I almost bought one this weekend. Went to Walts in Havasu and almost shit when he told me $10,500 OTD for the Green 660. Needless to say I walked out.
He's up in there crushing your guts! He is off his NUT! :mad:

djunkie
09-26-2006, 12:50 PM
He's up in there crushing your guts! He is off his NUT! :mad:
Ya at first he said "$9,300" and I told him "where do I sign?". Then he said "but OTD its $10,500". I kinda laughed and walked out. :rolleyes:

OGShocker
09-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Ya at first he said "$9,300" and I told him "where do I sign?". Then he said "but OTD its $10,500". I kinda laughed and walked out. :rolleyes:
I paid LESS than that for my blue SE. Fockin dealers! :mad:

djunkie
09-26-2006, 01:10 PM
I paid LESS than that for my blue SE. Fockin dealers! :mad:
As soon as the golf cart is gone, I'm going where you got yours.

Cole Trickle
09-26-2006, 01:13 PM
As soon as the golf cart is gone, I'm going where you got yours.
O.K.;)

UnionJack
09-26-2006, 01:13 PM
We gave it up three years ago, and we don't miss it. We also have season Chargers tickets so 8 weekends in the winter we at least get to go to san diego

djunkie
09-26-2006, 01:14 PM
O.K.;)
Wanna bet? :rollside: The g/f drove Mocks this weekend. She's all hot for one now. :rolleyes:

Magic34
09-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Same gated community, 1 street over. This one looks like a cabin too. :rollside:
http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?snum=8&locallnk=yes&frm=bymap&mnbed=0&mnbath=0&mnprice=600000&mxprice=99999999&js=off&pgnum=1&fid=so&stype=&mnsqft=&mls=xmls&areaid=961&poe=realtor&ct=Pine&st=AZ&sbint=&vtsort=&sorttype=&typ=1&typ=2&typ=4&x=77&y=10&sid=07522B1C9E1DC&snumxlid=1065820790&lnksrc=00001

havaduner
09-26-2006, 01:17 PM
We might try 1 early trip this year to see if we feel like we enjoy it enough to keep with it.
Last year really sucked for us with the Chevy 4500 POS that got stuck every time. So, we might give it 1 shot and see what we think. If it feels at all like it did last year, I'm done!
Logic says quit, but we'll see.
Everytime? where'd you park, the bottom of comp? If that 3500 isnt 4WD, you still might be getting stuck.

Magic34
09-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Everytime? where'd you park, the bottom of comp? If that 3500 isnt 4WD, you still might be getting stuck.
Last year with my Kodiak, went to Gordons twice and Glamis once. Got stuck at Glamis off of the Gecko Loop, but I knew I would so I positioned my truck where the front was close to the road. This way then they pulled me out all 4 tires were on the asphalt and it came out easier.
Yes, my new 3500 is 4wd but I hve highway tires on it.

squirt'nmyload
09-26-2006, 01:38 PM
been duning for 3 years. went to glamis at least 2-3 times a month and all holidays last year. every time was scarier than the last. dealt with everything from friends getting injured to running out of gas in the middle of nowhere to idiot friends taking kids out for a ride and getting lost for a day. not to mention all the times i was almost hit by someone else in a rail not paying attention. (why would they, they are in a rail going 100) saw a guy in an alumacraft flip and the car bust into flames with his family in it right in front of our camp.....the guy was appearantly drinking and never drove a rail in his life.....needless to say, dune season is close and i no longer have the desire that i had before to go...i'll be at the lake!!!!

Never Satisfied
09-26-2006, 01:58 PM
If you don't owe anything on it all its costing you is insurance. You know as well as I do next year you are going to miss the dunes and you'll buy the same exact trailer for 10K more so sit on it! It's not like you need the Money! :crossx:

Magic34
09-26-2006, 02:05 PM
It's amazing to me that many of you have the same thoughts. I thought I was going to get blasted here by other friends and the responses here are much different than I expected.
One of the things driving me crazy is that I need to get a set of dune wheels and tires for the truck. Right now, I have heavy duty truck tires for the highway, and the traction will be very limited in the sand. So there is another $1700 minimium unless I can find some stocker Chevy wheels, then I am in tires for about $750 or so.

Magic34
09-26-2006, 02:06 PM
If you don't owe anything on it all its costing you is insurance. You know as well as I do next year you are going to miss the dunes and you'll buy the same exact trailer for 10K more so sit on it! It's not like you need the Money! :crossx:
$50k+ would feel nice in the account though.

djunkie
09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
It's amazing to me that many of you have the same thoughts. I thought I was going to get blasted here by other friends and the responses here are much different than I expected.
One of the things driving me crazy is that I need to get a set of dune wheels and tires for the truck. Right now, I have heavy duty truck tires for the highway, and the traction will be very limited in the sand. So there is another $1700 minimium unless I can find some stocker Chevy wheels, then I am in tires for about $750 or so.
Keep in mind that your posting this on a boating site. So naturally most are gonna say ditch the duning. Now go post this over on GD.com and they'll probably send the Lynch Mob after you. :crossx: Seriously though, the opinions are great to hear but in the end you have to decide what is best for you and your family. Usually your first instinct is the right one.

Cole Trickle
09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Wanna bet? :rollside: The g/f drove Mocks this weekend. She's all hot for one now. :rolleyes:
We both know she dosent remember anything from that night.
I am surprised she could get her Buh Dunka dunk in the seat!!! :crossx:

djunkie
09-26-2006, 02:11 PM
We both know she dosent remember anything from that night.
I am surprised she could get her Buh Dunka dunk in the seat!!! :crossx:
She remembers Mudsharks and the Turtle. Just not the ride home and anything after. :rolleyes:

Goodtime$
09-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Magic 34, i did the same thing a couple years ago. A good friend got hurt riding motos, so i just sold my 2.5 motos, 2motos and a 50 so that counts as a half. Sold my ranger, yah i know..hahah no black socks. It was fully caged and linked and got a new boat that following summer.
Dont miss it at all really. I just surf more and end up making more trips to tahoe and mammoth. Best of luck with your decision. My 2cents.
Keep the rhino. I wish i had built a 4wd prerunner, i would have kept that for mexico missions.

Never Satisfied
09-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Dude, that's just like a penny to you! :crossx:

Magic34
09-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Dude, that's just like a penny to you! :crossx:
Go drop another couple hundies.

Never Satisfied
09-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Just trying to keep up with you!

Magic34
09-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Just trying to keep up with you!
Might want to slow down on the kids then if you are trying to do that.

Never Satisfied
09-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Might want to slow down on the kids then if you are trying to do that.
What fun is that?

Cole Trickle
09-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Something tells me your new signature is going to look something like this....;)
"Sold my Trailer. New Trailers are expensive. Didn't see that coming. Oopps."
I wouldn't want to sell anything that exspensive right now:)

riverroyal
09-26-2006, 02:22 PM
im 75% sure im out also,4 times would be a good winter for us,its just not worth having all the stuff.I cant do the desert without being 100% into it,and im not even close,wifes bike is in spam,rhino,450 and weekend warrior might be next

Never Satisfied
09-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Something tells me your new signature is going to look something like this....;)
"Sold my Trailer. New Trailers are expensive. Didn't see that coming. Oopps."
I wouldn't want to sell anything that exspensive right now:)
That is exactly what I was thinking! Shit it's about time for the new sig line that ones about 2 years old!

bohica
09-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Your camping in all the wrong spots. If I can drag my 50,000 lb setup out to the dunes and never really have to worry about getting stuck, you should be fine with your truck, highway tires or not. That's unless you plan on duning the truck.

Cole Trickle
09-26-2006, 02:25 PM
She remembers Mudsharks and the Turtle. Just not the ride home and anything after. :rolleyes:
Must not have been that special;)
You would think a girl could remember a 9" tongue regardless of how much she had to drink!! :crossx: :p

djunkie
09-26-2006, 02:27 PM
You would think a girl could remember a 9" tongue regardless of how much she had to drink!! :crossx: :p
Ya really :rolleyes: :crossx: :crossx:

Cole Trickle
09-26-2006, 02:31 PM

djunkie
09-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Is there an echo in here? :rollside: :rollside:

Cole Trickle
09-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Is there an echo in here? :rollside: :rollside:
That was kinda freaky!!
Reminds me of a Joke...
Man gets home from work and tells his wife he would like a little PU :crossx: :crossx: Y
she said me too mine is as big as a house!

77charger
09-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I do both boat and dune.I aint rich so i cant make it evry weekend or every other weekend my toys are paid for nothing fancy but basic fun stuff.Also been doing both my entire life grew up doing it will continue to do it.As far as boating like i said i dont go much esp this year 1 trip to powell,1to naci.thats it.Sometimes if funding allows and time is free i can go every other weekend so far i have only done that once and that was 2 summers ago
For the dunes we go every holiday weekend and maybe 1 time in between so maybe 5 trips a year.Like someone said earlier the summer night rides and full moon.no crowds all to yourself have to be best.

77charger
09-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Your camping in all the wrong spots. If I can drag my 50,000 lb setup out to the dunes and never really have to worry about getting stuck, you should be fine with your truck, highway tires or not. That's unless you plan on duning the truck.50k you are heavy i have seen you pretty far back in the washes at times too.

bohica
09-26-2006, 05:05 PM
50k you are heavy i have seen you pretty far back in the washes at times too.
Yep, moho weighs in around 40K and trailer is another 10K. It's nothing compared to some buddies rigs that are 60K. I put a receiver hitch up front just in case, but have never had to use it.(knock on wood) :rollside:

Trailer Park Casanova
09-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Ya probably live close to Glamis so Dumont is probably outta the question.
Glamis and Dumont are the same drive for us so it's Glamis mid-week, and Dumont holidays and weekends.
It would be a slow, long winter for us if we gave up the dunes, but we're lucky that we can take off all the weekdays we want, and avoid the Glamis crowd.
I see your point. The work gets to ya eventually.
Guys with Buggies and Rails seem to be wrenching on them all the time. Late model quad families seem to stick the key in the ignition, and off ya go.
If one breaks, we suck it up, put it away and let the X-10-ded warranty pay for it.
Ya might want to think it over, it's expensive to start from scratch and get back into it if ya jump out, and sell all of your rolling stock.
But,, I can understand all the work it takes a dad.
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/albun09/P9150005.sized.jpg
Dumont. We've never encountered the "Raider Nation", or any problems here.
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/albun09/P9150004.sized.jpg
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/albun09/PB100051.sized.jpg
Saturday afternoon at Dumonts Comp Hill The dots are other duners.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/11796Dumont_Jan__06_074-med.jpg
Wifes first trip up Comp Hill on A YFZ 450.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Dumont_Jan__06_022-med.jpg
Never has anyone camp'd closer than maybe 500 yards at Dumont, and even that a rare instance.
Usually they're a 1/4 mile away.
Group camping is a blast too. Ya choose your friends.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Dumont_Jan__06_025-med.jpg
Wifes first ride at the dunes on one of our YFZ 450's, she loves it.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Dumont_Jan__06_033-med.jpg
Great family sport for the little ones.
Kids all swear I work harder boating at the river than duning. I agree, and duning is cheaper. We wouldn't give either family sport up.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812DumontMap-med.jpg
Of the 10 of thousands of people that use the dunes, only a very few of us are actively fighting the Sierra Club & CBD to stop the closures & re-open.
Same people are gunning to shut down Lake Powell, and they are making big advances toward this goal.
We may see it happen.

River918
09-26-2006, 07:09 PM
I gave it up last year also....I missed boating too much, and couldn't afford both...Here's our old set-up:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2670P5150077.JPG
We don't miss the dunes, but we do miss mountain camping with friends...

bignet
09-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Trying to do both, and we'll see how it goes. Glamis or Dumont trips are just so much cheaper than river trips! :) We go with pretty big groups so it's like a family affair. It seems like work, but when you get out there and watch the little ones grow up on those dunes, man it's all worth it. :rollside:
My .02
bignet

SoCalOffshore
09-26-2006, 08:06 PM
we did a number of trips out to cal city and the surrounding area. never had a problem. we did one trip to pismo and it was ok. kinda small. i have never been to glamis, but i want to go this season. turned down a trip to dumont, due to timing. but, with the pics just posted, it looks awesome. it would probably be closer to me than glamis anyway. we normally ride bikes, so the desert is easier and allot closer. although, i do have a quad now and have been thinking about getting a rhino. where are those good deals on a rhino???

mbrown2
09-26-2006, 08:31 PM
I am going to give up the desert too....
oh that's right I never picked it up....:)
Serious, I give it up to folks like Deano, Rocky, and the Gibby's who can boat April-Oct and go right into the Dunes from Oct-March...and I don't mean the money part....that's a huge committment of time, but you only live once..

Sun burners
09-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Brought the buggy home from Havasu this weekend.
Signed up for storage at the new place by the store,
BECAUSE I DO NOT LIKE TO TOW!
The kids like Glamis I like HAVASU, until they don't want to go anymore we will go as often as we can!
Camp fires, Family and Friends, and FULL MOON'S!!!
DO IT TILL THE FUN FACTOR IS GONE.

Magic34
09-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Serious, I give it up to folks like Deano, Rocky, and the Gibby's who can boat April-Oct and go right into the Dunes from Oct-March...and I don't mean the money part....that's a huge committment of time, but you only live once..
That is it exactly for me. Except throw planning a huge conference in January which I started working on last month, and I am a little tired come December and I am only 27 now. I dont think I am making it to 40.
I think we are giving it 1 more shot to see if the effort is worth the fun or if we still have fun. Our first year at the duens (season before last) was a blast, but I had a 30' trailer that never gave me any problems and a truck that didn't get stuck regardless of where I went. Last year drained me. So we'll see how the first one goes this year then make the call.