PDA

View Full Version : Stupid mortgage for stupid people

bigq
09-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Please tell me most are not this dumb?
What if you could get into Stanford by simply telling the admissions office you are an A-plus student -- without any proof? Or how about driving a brand new Mercedes off the lot after promising the salesman you'll send him a check next week? Fat chance, right? So you might be surprised how easy it is for people buying a new house to borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars by simply telling the bank how much money they make -- without any proof. It's called a "stated income" loan, but many people inside the housing industry call it something else: a "liar loan."
Brian is a Bay Area mortgage broker. "Michael" is his client -- a 23-year-old auto mechanic. The payment on Michael’s new home is $4,200 a month, but he only earns about $4,000 a month -- leaving him $200 in the red. He was only able to get the loan because his broker used "stated income" to inflate his paycheck. Brian (the broker) said, "I put on the application that he made $13,000 a month, which was unverified … That's the definition of a stated income loan. You state the income. Most definitely it was a fraudulent loan. The income was literally made up from thin air."
Now you might think getting a loan still works like an old Hollywood movie, where buyers have to fully document that they make enough money to pay back the bank. But over the last decade, Bay Area home prices have gone up 300 percent -- far outpacing people's incomes -- which is why nine out of 10 households can no longer afford the median home price of $630,000. So to keep the clients and cash rolling in, banks and other mortgage companies began offering easier terms like no money down, adjustable rates, interest-only, and stated income.
One broker, "Dennis," works for a mortgage company where he says a whopping 85 percent of loans are stated income. He says out of that 85 percent, they all have inflated numbers.
"All of them, because that's why you're going stated." Dennis added. "We've seen the banking industry keep getting more creative, and more creative, and more creative to keep putting fuel on this fire of home appreciation."
Consider, for example, what would happen in a Monopoly game if every player claimed to make more than $200 each time they pass "Go" -- maybe $400, $600, even $1,000 with each pass. Pretty soon: a bidding war, with players paying Boardwalk prices, even for a fixer-upper like Baltic Avenue, based on money they don't really have.
But the buyers may not even know their incomes are being inflated.
Dennis said, "Some may know. But for the most part I would say the consumer is pretty much left out of the loop."
Out of the loop because the broker often prepares the loan papers without ever telling the buyer their income has been inflated. And buyers may then unknowingly sign a fraudulent income number on their loan.
But if it leads to getting their piece of the American dream, homebuyers must be happy, right?
Not according to Beverly and Dwayne, two Bay Area homeowners.
"Right now I'm living from paycheck to paycheck. I'm struggling with putting gas in my car just to get to work," Beverly said.
Last May, Beverly and Dwayne bought their first home. Their broker assured them they could afford the half-a-million-dollar price tag based on Beverly's income as a social worker. She makes $2,750 a month.
But what they didn't know? To make the deal work, the broker boosted Dwayne's salary to an impressive $8,000 a month.
"I wish I did make $8,000 a month," Dwayne said.
In truth, Dwayne is out of work and only gets a small disability check. Nevertheless, based on their inflated income, they qualified for a mortgage of $3,700 a month. That's almost $1,000 more than Beverly's entire paycheck.
"I didn't find out until the signing," Beverly said. "And I said 'I can't afford to pay that,' and the realtor said, 'Don't worry about it, we're gonna immediately refinance it.' "
Refinancing is what keeps many new buyers in the game, but only if interest rates stay low and housing prices go up. Instead, interest rates are rising. And though Bay Area prices are still going up, the market is weakening.
Beverly and Dwayne have spent the last five months trying to refinance. Their life savings are gone. They sleep on an air mattress. They've already been late on one loan payment.
"This has turned into a complete nightmare," Beverly said.
Now you might think mortgage lenders would be more careful giving out hundreds of thousands of dollars without proof of income. But in fact there's almost no risk to the bank. That's because most banks turn right around and sell their loans to real estate investors on Wall Street -- to mutual funds, pension funds -- even foreign countries.
Raphael Bostic teaches real estate at the University of Southern California. He said in the old days, if a family didn't repay its loan, the bank took the hit.
"In today's environment, if a family does not repay, some nameless, faceless guy in Wall Street in New York, or the investors take the hit. The bank is not put at risk at all, and so they're not that concerned."
He added, "What it does is it reduces to some degree a bank's concern and a bank's diligence in making sure that the loans they originate are actually going to pay in the long run."
And banks and brokers aren't concerned about getting caught cheating, said Brian, which is why stated income fraud remains a dirty little secret from most buyers.
And the reason why nobody in the loan industry is talking about it? According to Brian, "When you have a $10,000 commission check dangling in front of you, it's kind of hard to want to give that up."
Beverly said, "You know they say you make sacrifices to keep what you have, but they didn't tell me I would totally have to stop living and just exist because of somebody else's deceit."

DCBDaytona
09-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Yes they are.

cdog
09-27-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm afraid we are going to see a lot of this as the year goes on. The I/O stated income is a great product but they need to have some serious restrictions on who can get them. Say at least 20% down and a 700 + fico. The mortgage brokers are going to be in big trouble as the buyers pull lint out of their pockets and "say poor un informed me". It'll be the RE scandal of the decade.

Mandelon
09-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Its this kinda deal that is keeping me so busy right now.

Jyruiz
09-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Wow!

jbtrailerjim
09-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Unreal. Stupid people and greedy freakin mortage brokers. I couldn't sleep well at night knowing I was putting ignorant people in bad financial positions like that.

Do F150's Float?
09-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Stated income makes sense for quite a few people. For example: Undocumented income (side jobs, notaries, etc) don't document every couple of dollars that come in. Self employed borrowers almost NEVER put down what they actually make on tax returns. Room rent from family members... etc. etc. etc. These are all things lenders will not give you credit for. Some of it is just flat out lieing, i won't deny that.
Aside from that, TAKE FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY!!! Your payment is disclosed to you before you sign your docs. Get over it people - you know what you can afford, your broker/banker doesnt.

C-2
09-27-2006, 03:15 PM
We can argue about a slowdown vs. a correction till we're blue in the face - but when these loans adjust - it's gonna be UGLY.
The majority of cases I'm working now are mortgage fraud, for both insurers and lenders forced to buy back loans (and this is the calm before the storm).
Mathematically impossible..no problem.
500 credit score - so you've had a few problems.
No money down...not a problem.
How can you lose sez the mortgage broker...now just sign on the dotted line do I can get paid. :220v:

doesitfloat?
09-27-2006, 03:22 PM
right about then i would have walked away... just my .02
Yep, she was "smart" enough to catch the monthly payment and still stupid enough to still sign the dotted line. Very sad.
My buddy's in this boat right now. Bought a decent condo in a sh!tty part of the Bay Area for $500K on stated income (he drives a delivery truck) with an adj rate loan and a baloon in 5. The condo's now worth $425K, he just had a 2nd kid with daycare at $1000/mo x 2 kids, he is phucked. Can't make the payments...not even close
If he can sell, he'll lose his life savings of $90K that he put down plus he'll probably have to right a check (which he doesn't have) to cover the RE comission costs.
People do more research when they buy a car than they do when buying a home!

Ryphraph
09-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Reminds me of a car dealership that I was trying to work a deal for a new truck at. I am trying to explain what I can afford. The sales manager tells me that with my credit I can drive off with any 3 cars on the lot. My budget though is that I can't even afford the one I am trying to buy. They don't care... Just make the sale baby!
Ryph

doesitfloat?
09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
We can argue about a slowdown vs. a correction till we're blue in the face - but when these loans adjust - it's gonna be UGLY.
The majority of cases I'm working now are mortgage fraud, for both insurers and lenders forced to buy back loans (and this is the calm before the storm).
Mathematically impossible..no problem.
500 credit score - so you've had a few problems.
No money down...not a problem.
How can you lose sez the mortgage broker...now just sign on the dotted line do I can get paid. :220v:
Is there going to be any recourse against the brokers? There are many (not all) sleaze balls in the biz who are directly or indirectly responsible for these frauds.

Big Kahunaa
09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
i did a "stated income" loan because alot of my money is not on the books (i hope irs dosen't see this)

Lightning
09-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Greed is the root of all problems. Stated income loans are a great product...for the right person. Unfortuanately people are sold the wrong products for the wrong reason, however usually both parties are to blame. If you don't understand what you are signing, then don't sign it....do your homework.

soupersonic
09-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Its this kinda deal that is keeping me so busy right now.
Thats the key. We all find a way to make money off of it.I have been fixing up repo's, preforeclosures and distressed properties for years.The wife is a loan officer and a realtor.I have 15 years commercial construction experience. We have had a lot of fun talking with some of the people ,buyers,sellers, lenders and realtors.They all agree.There is an epidemic of greed out there that drives them to continue to hire and use the completely ignorant and stupid in hopes of them bringing in a deal or two.It should always be about whats best for the client,that motto has always brough return clients and referrals for my wife.These times make me hope the herd is thinning alot :)

Tom Brown
09-27-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't see a problem. I just got a 40 year loan on a shed for my garden. :cool:

Dave C
09-27-2006, 03:42 PM
thats a funny story....
I disagree with the contention that (some) people can't afford the bay area home market and have to commit fraud to get them. Thats B.S.
I know these rich fawkers DO have the actual income and they CAN afford those bay area homes. :yuk:

doesitfloat?
09-27-2006, 03:49 PM
thats a funny story....
I disagree with the contention that (some) people can't afford the bay area home market and have to commit fraud to get them. Thats B.S.
I know these rich fawkers DO have the actual income and they CAN afford those bay area homes. :yuk:
Dave, are you serious or being sarcastic?

Hotcobra270
09-27-2006, 04:07 PM
These loan arent for everyone.. At the same time,
you should know if you can afford the payment of a home you are buying... stated or not stated

Kilrtoy
09-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Stated income loans are a great product...for the right person. .
Agreed and very true

driverno8
09-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Stated loans are great. I have to got stated with the new house in Havasu. (we're moving) I'm not going to get into what I make. But working for your self you take in a lot of cash compared to what's reported. If I went off what's reported alone I might qualify to rent an appartment. No way in the world could I buy a house on what's reported. Going stated with 100% financing is a great idea. Yea, I'll get a 1% rate hike compared to non-stated, but at least we'll have a home to live in. I'm not going to lie to the bank about what I make, if they want to see bank statements they can. But with stated they don't need to. By no means am I'm going to be in the red when it comes to a mortgage payment. Now, that's just stupid. I don't feel sorry for anyone that does that to themselves.

HCS
09-27-2006, 04:23 PM
My 25 year old daughter qualified and was approved to buy a new home.
They told her everything was ready to go and to come down and sign the papers.
Well when she went to sign the papers they told her that her payments were going to be $3500.00 a month. She was floored. She only makes $1800.00 a month. She told them I can't make that kind of house payment, how could they possibly approve me for this home loan? well that's how. They used stated income.
They had all the papers drawn up ready for her to sign. They also said she would'nt have to make her first house payment for 6 months.
Obviously she walked away. Unbelievable.

Moe_Havi
09-27-2006, 06:18 PM
It's hard for me to believe she didn't know the payment was going to $3500 per month when she only makes $1800. What person making $1800 a month is looking at properety worth 600-900k making that much? How about looking at property at about 150k. These stories sound like BS.
You want to talk loan trouble, forget the stated deal, take a look at 1% option ARMS if you really want to see a train wreck in the making. Oh yea, you can get them stated too!
Moe.

BoatFloating
09-27-2006, 06:21 PM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling, tha sky is falling...... come on now...

doesitfloat?
09-27-2006, 06:25 PM
It's hard for me to believe she didn't know the payment was going to $3500 per month when she only makes $1800. What person making $1800 a month is looking at properety worth 600-900k making that much? How about looking at property at about 150k. These stories sound like BS.
You want to talk loan trouble, forget the stated deal, take a look at 1% option ARMS if you really want to see a train wreck in the making. Oh yea, you can get them stated too!
Moe.
I disagree with you about the stories being BS. There are some incredibly naive (and mathmatically challenged) people out there.
I totally agree with you on the Option ARMS. Some people DON'T EVEN KNOW that their principle IS INCREASING per month! This almost happened to our best friends until their brother caught it while browsing the docs. When confronted, the broker said, "Oh, I didn't tell you that? Sorry, I must've forgot".

wsuwrhr
09-27-2006, 06:45 PM
It always has to be someone else's fault.
Due to my business, I will probably have to go "stated income", however I CAN add, and I know what I can AFFORD.
Stated income does have a purpose.
Brian

havaduner
09-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Stated income loans arent really anything that new. They are available for business loans as well. It isnt hard to make one work, if you do the math. It never comes down to the last minute to find out what the payments will be.
Thats one of the first worksheets done.

Marty Gras
09-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Let me get this straight. If I am a big fatass and the Icecream Man drives down my street everyday, it's his fault that I'm a big fatass? Did I not have the choice to NOT BUY ICECREAM? How can anyone attack the lenders when "it's just business". What about all of those same consumers and their "car loans"? I feel we have not yet begun to see all of the "repo's and foreclosures" that will be 'raining down' real soon. I hope all of those "BIG BALLERS" took good care of their stuff, so you and I can buy their nice toys at 25 cents on the dollar. I'm not so smart, but I do study the subject and read the contracts, before signing. "Ownership" means 100% PAID FOR! Good luck to you all!

dicudmore
09-27-2006, 07:49 PM
pay option ARMS are also a great product when they are used correctly...granted our market in Las Vegas is a little out of the norm...
our office does approx 70 loans per month, and rarely do they see an A-paper deal. I think the deal on the ARM is basically that you are gambling that the house will appreciate more than your negative AM yes/no?? I know a lot of people in the real estate and or mortgage business here in LV that use them on their personal properties...

HYPNAUTIC
09-27-2006, 07:53 PM
blah..blah..blah.. just give me my 20K commision check!!! I already know im going to hell!!! but im stoping by the lake first!!!
But seriously, I practice real estate law and ethics with my business. Im licensed in 5 states and hold insurity bonds in 3 others, I feel im justified to recieve the commision. Dont paint the industry because of a few bad apples. Many board members have placed borrowers in neg-am and i/o loans going stated, meaning we (broker) stated the income not the borrower like it is suposed to be. We do that as a service not a dis-service to the borrower. Debt ratios can be tough to meet and if your .01% over you dont qualify, that is what makes stated so valuable. I can give a dozen more examples, but I hope its not needed.
I understand the point of the post but the brokers are not all to blame. I dont belive at all borrowers didn't know what their payments were before signing. They are looking at possible forclosures now and are using the industry as a scapegoat.
If you want to talk about a true real estate "correction" watch for the fall out of martgage brokers who cant stay in bussiness.
blah..blah..blah.. see ya in hell!!!

BajaMike
09-27-2006, 07:55 PM
With property values falling "stated income" loans will soon be a thing of the past..... :idea:
So.....get one while you can!:D

Mandelon
09-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Those loans made perfect sense when prices were rising 20% a year....... :p
Since home prices have started dropping....now the loans are predatory.....LOL. Some of the brokers we do rehabs for have 60 listings....ALL of them foreclosures and mostly due to "overpurchasing" and using creative lending packages. :yuk:

DUCKY
09-27-2006, 09:06 PM
I went with a stated income program, but it's a 30yr fixed, none of that option ARM balloon crap. I am self employed, and on paper my business barely breaks even. I was told how much income I needed to state to cover my payment, and I stated it. I also knew what my house payment was going to be before I even signed the offer to purchase, let alone the closing docs. How is it possible to get all the way to closing without knowing what you are getting into?

Big Otis
09-27-2006, 09:17 PM
READ every thing you sign!
In All my transactions its mandatory for Buyers to look at the
" truth in lending Statement", State Law.
Yes I do Sell Real Estate, Yes I know some "Questionable" Lenders.
bottom line is read YOUR loan papers, DOCS,
after all, thats your name on the loan???

C-2
09-27-2006, 10:55 PM
You loan guys crack me up.

DILLIGAF
09-27-2006, 10:57 PM
I have never tried to hide income. I pay my fair share of taxes and use the available "loop holes if you will" that are legal and proper. I really hate to hear about the income not being decalred. Is it just me?

centerhill condor
09-28-2006, 06:21 AM
come on guys its the "American Dream"...live large at someone else's expense!