PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Season

Wet Dream
09-30-2006, 07:04 PM
With the weather getting colder, the mice are looking for warmer places to nest for the winter. We had a family of meeces move in and try to take over the kitchen, but I'm on guard. I didn't want to get carried away and exhaust my troops, so I had them set a single trap under the wine rack. Actually, my wife set it, baited with peanut butter. Peter Pan to be exact. Within the first 3 minutes...SNAP. We got a live one. Right around the neck. His head was pinned in there but his hind feet managed to keep running. The weight of the trap kept him running in circles until he ran out of air. Minutes later, with the trap reset...we got another one. This one didn't have a chance. Slammed the door on that puppy. Kinda nice sitting here at the computer and hearing a click. We've taken no prisoners, only 4 KIA to date, and thats in the last 3 days.

Mrs 2LKHVSU
09-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Is that ususal for you this time of year? Because it sounds like it's not your 1st day.

Wet Dream
09-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Its been cold and rainy here. Last night we got down to 36*. We're in that swing of temps right now, where is cld for a few days, then warm again. We're supposed to be up in the 70's again by Tuesday. Chances are, that'll be the last of the warm weather and then....snow.

Mrs 2LKHVSU
09-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Oops, I mean the mouse situation. Everytime this year when it get chilly they look for a warm spot in your house????

rivrbrat
09-30-2006, 07:47 PM
I have heard that the bounce laundry sheets help keep the mice away.

Wet Dream
09-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Oops, I mean the mouse situation. Everytime this year when it get chilly they look for a warm spot in your house????
Yeah, at least once a year we'll get a family that tries to move in. This is the easiest bunch to date. Some are harder to take out. They'll leave "signs" behind and you have to set multiple traps, but this group wasn't scared.

Wet Dream
10-01-2006, 06:51 AM
Got another one this morning. Broke his back, didn't stand a chance.

wsuwrhr
10-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Got another one this morning. Broke his back, didn't stand a chance.
Remind me never to shack up at your place.
What a host.
Brian

SHOTKALLIN
10-01-2006, 07:37 AM
I wish I had the pleasure of the snap traps. I cought a field mouse last week with a sticky trap. Satisfying but not quite the same. :crossx:

Wet Dream
10-01-2006, 07:55 AM
The electric traps are great too. They go in for the bait, step on the plates and WHAM! You hear a littel ZAP and then you serve up fried mouse legs.
Zapper (http://www.ratmousezapper.com/)
http://www.ratmousezapper.com/_images/05_zapper2000_small.gif

Wet Dream
10-01-2006, 08:00 AM
I wish I had the pleasure of the snap traps. I cought a field mouse last week with a sticky trap. Satisfying but not quite the same. :crossx:
Have you ever watched one chew off his own feet to get off the trap?

wsuwrhr
10-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Harsh.

SHOTKALLIN
10-01-2006, 08:07 AM
actually no. Usually all their feet are stuck. The more they wiggle the more they get stuck. I stand there and stomp at them. This is quite amusing
:crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

AltarGirl
10-01-2006, 08:09 AM
With the weather getting colder, the mice are looking for warmer places to nest for the winter. We had a family of meeces move in and try to take over the kitchen, but I'm on guard. I didn't want to get carried away and exhaust my troops, so I had them set a single trap under the wine rack. Actually, my wife set it, baited with peanut butter. Peter Pan to be exact. Within the first 3 minutes...SNAP. We got a live one. Right around the neck. His head was pinned in there but his hind feet managed to keep running. The weight of the trap kept him running in circles until he ran out of air. Minutes later, with the trap reset...we got another one. This one didn't have a chance. Slammed the door on that puppy. Kinda nice sitting here at the computer and hearing a click. We've taken no prisoners, only 4 KIA to date, and thats in the last 3 days.
I thought I was the only person who says MEECES!!!! How funny
I have one living somewhere in my closet, I've found remnants in some purses :mad:

SHOTKALLIN
10-01-2006, 08:09 AM
I must have a construction gap somewhere. I have had my house checked but I cant figure out where they are getting in. Ryland Homes....buy at your own risk.

boatnam2
10-01-2006, 05:27 PM
I must have a construction gap somewhere. I have had my house checked but I cant figure out where they are getting in. Ryland Homes....buy at your own risk.
yea we have a ryland home in norco dont think that has anything to do with the problem but the mouse thing is out of control where i live so our the cyotes sp? rabbits, black widows,wasp. we poured a new slab in the backyard when we pulled up the 4x4 concrete back pourch, there was hundreds of holes.we have them in our motorhome,garage.look at your engine compartment of your car if the insulation along the fire wall is shredded most think it is wear but is your little mouse buddies keeping warm.missb came home last night and one mouse we have now in the house(trying to catch him for a week or so) was on the 3rd shelf in the pantry,the shelves are foot and a half apart how did he get up there?im pretty sure our problem steems from the kids not closing the back door to the gararge.if you leave the front door open to bring in groceries and such they will also run in.i have not caught one for a couple of weeks and im thirsty for mouse blood,using the poison blocks in the garage and have seen a few dead ones laying around but i dont consider that a catch.happy hunting!

Kim Hanson
10-01-2006, 05:50 PM
The electric traps are great too. They go in for the bait, step on the plates and WHAM! You hear a littel ZAP and then you serve up fried mouse legs.
Zapper (http://www.ratmousezapper.com/)
http://www.ratmousezapper.com/_images/05_zapper2000_small.gif
Thats funny, at one time when I seen some mice in my house I got a pellet gun and had some target practice while taking them out..bad ideaer..started shooting flower pots and shit :p It was fun while it lasted, just get a Micer ( Tom Cat ) haven't seen a mouse for over 10 years now..........( . )( . )......... :cool:

boatnam2
10-01-2006, 11:17 PM
just bought the electric zapper,see how that works.would use a tom cat but he would only last a few days with all the coyotes.i have yet to see a cat in a little over a year in our hood.just wish they would stay outside in the dirt,but they wont so its war.

LAND_LOVER69
10-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Had a mouse problem one time. I saved a young kitten from the local SPCA and have never had a problem since and I have a companion that I don't have to take outside to use the bathroom.

Wet Dream
10-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Just clicked away on number 10 in the past couple of days. I have yet to check the contents of this one. They are coming in like crazy. My wife called me earlier today to tell me that she had to throw one trap away. The "gate" crashed down and split brain matter all over. I asked her to take a pic so I could post it here. She said "No F'ing way in hell" and something like "you're sick" :D Ok, maybe just a little. As for a furry little mouse catcher...I have 3 dogs, one of them being a Greyhound. The only pussy thats going to last around this house is attached to the wife and its not mouse hunting. ;) More incomplete sentences coming up shortly.

doesitfloat?
10-02-2006, 10:06 PM
I had a thread going about my mice problems a few days ago. After both snapping and glue trapping about 9, I realized that I might be fighting a losing battle.
It's bait time. Last time I used it under my shed, there was several dead meeces (yes, I say it too :yuk: ) all around the shed at about day 5.
I hesitated to use the bait inside the house because I don't want them dying in the walls, etc. But after seeing the same thing: a mouse on our pantry's 3 rd shelf where all the bread and cereal is, enough is enough. The bait wipes them out as opposed to trapping 1 at a time.
Time for the big guns...

Wet Dream
10-02-2006, 10:22 PM
The only thing I don't like about the bait, is that they go off and die. In heater vents, under crawlspaces and cabinets. They stink when they just die off like that. Plus you don't get to see the gory things that a spring trap produces. Damn, I'm a sick F. :220v:

C-2
10-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Man, a little snake was in my neighbors garage and when I went to grab it - it slithered onto one of those rodent sticky pads. We tried our best to get it off - but in the end - that stuff is too damn sticky and the snake didn't make it.
------------
Speaking of snapping, again for your viewing pleasure. I think this was one of those kangaroo rats - they kind of hop along and it's pretty fun to wack them....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132rat.JPG

Wet Dream
10-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Just got another one. This time it only got one foot caught in it and I let him go out in the yard. I'm not a complete hater.

ChumpChange
10-03-2006, 06:56 AM
I've caught 11 since Saturday morning. Caught 2 on one glue trap. That was a good catch. Mostly using the small snap traps though. It is definitely an uphill battle.