PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Internet ISP ?

Flyinbowtie
09-30-2006, 10:19 PM
I am getting very tired of living in dial-up purgatory, and it is clear that the phone company in my area is not in any hurry to replace the antique telephone lines we have out here in the boonies. DSL isn't likely for a long, long, time, if ever, so I am told. They're just going to keep patching this sytem until it completely rots away, I guess.
Anybody have any experience with hughsnet.com Sat. ISP?
They appear to be the only game in town for under $80.00 per month in this area.

Kindsvater Flat
09-30-2006, 10:21 PM
I had starband. Downloads weren't bad but uploads were dial up speeds. If you want the equipment its yours. Its collecting dust around here.

KLEPTOW
09-30-2006, 10:57 PM
I am getting very tired of living in dial-up purgatory, and it is clear that the phone company in my area is not in any hurry to replace the antique telephone lines we have out here in the boonies. DSL isn't likely for a long, long, time, if ever, so I am told. They're just going to keep patching this sytem until it completely rots away, I guess.
Anybody have any experience with hughsnet.com Sat. ISP?
They appear to be the only game in town for under $80.00 per month in this area.
Have you checked on Cellular Boardband in your aera?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Have you checked on Cellular Boardband in your aera?
Yea, at 80 bones a month you can get whatever ya want.

gramps
10-01-2006, 05:56 AM
Until the first of this year I had Direcway (now Hughes). Not very fast and NOT worth the cost for the hassles, cust. "service" didn't speak English. Now I'm with Wildblue. Same cost and 3x's faster, this morning I ran a speed test 1.81 megs down and 200+ kbps up. They a re going thru a couple of growing pains right now but they speak English, gave me 3 free months service when their Riverside gateway was acting up and they have a new satellite going up in a month or so.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Like gramps, I had Direct-way, since mid 2002 till spring 2006. No complaints really. Download speed was good, I rarely upload anyhting sizeable, and even here in the midwest, I was rare4ly cut off by weather except in the middle of the night by a thunderstorm, when I was not on it anyhow. I prob lost 5 evenings a year on average.
Upgraded to Wild Blue when was available, biggest pain was re-doing the home network since the old configuration was oddball (but had to be) and is now just like it's plugged into cable. Upload speed is still pretty slow, but i don't care about that.
I'd reccomend it. :)
I live rurally and have no other option, period. I think recently the Sprint deal has become available, not interested.

KLEPTOW
10-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Yea, But can you take it where ever you want?

lalhc
10-01-2006, 07:56 AM
What is your zip code and I can check if Sprint has broadband speeds in your area. If so, I can get you a brand new Aircard for Free this month. If you do not have a Laptop we can sell you a Linksys router that allows you to insert the Aircard in the router to create your own WiFi network. From the router you just use an ethernet cable to plug into your desktop computer. PM me w/a contact # for more info or you can visit my website at www.sts-usa.net .
The new Free RevA Aircard just started today.

lalhc
10-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Sprint's Unlimited Data Plan is $59.99.

Flyinbowtie
10-01-2006, 09:02 AM
K-Flat, starband.com says they are re-configuring and they don't have a new price available yet for home use.
wildblue isn't doing anymore hook-ups in this area for now.
lalhc,
I have a PC desktop and a PC laptop.
Checked your website, apparently 95975 is still in the netherworld of analog roaming. Nextel is still real spotty up here, too., but it has improved, or so I am told. A few miles closer to town would improve things, according to the map, but then, a few miles closer to town is, unfortunately, a few miles closer to town.
The 59.99 is about what I want to spend, max.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Looks like you are in the boat I was in early 2001, and have to wait a while.
If you put in a Wi-Fi network, do yourself every favor and SET UP THE SECURITY PROTOCOLS in the Wi-Fi network. Ohterwise, anyone with wi-fi capability in a laptop within 1,000 FEET or so can hop onto your system.
Minimum, use your internet services free,
Maximum, hack your other machines, plant malicious software, cause you no shortage of hell.