PDA

View Full Version : ***boaters Saved My A$$

BADBLOWN572
10-02-2006, 12:11 AM
On the way back to Orange County, from the river this weekend, the KnuckleHeads and I were running together. On the way up to Chiraco Summit, my truck dropped from approximately 65mph down to 21mph. I could hear the turbo working, but the truck wasn't going anywhere. I pulled over and shut the truck off to see if it would reset itself. No luck. I limp it to the next offramp where the KnuckleHeads were waiting for me. We let the truck cool down and tried it again. No problems what so ever. Truck accelerated from 0 to 60 by the end of the offramp. Everything was going just fine for a while. We passed Chiraco Summit and was on the way down. About 4-5 miles past the summit, the turbo started spooling up, but no power what so ever. Again truck went from about 65 to about 50. Flat to the floor and still slowing down. About 10 seconds later I look back and see a small "puff" of white smoke coming from my exhaust pipe. Black smoke I am used to (diesel), but not white. At that point in time KnuckleHead called me and we both confirmed that the amount of white smoke was increasing. I pulled off to the side of the freeway. By the time I pulled off the temperature had gone WAY up and the white smoke was just blowing out of the exhaust. Needless to say the truck was done with its journey! Time to call AAA.
I call AAA and inform them that I broke down and I need to have both my boat and truck towed from just past Chiraco Summit to Indio. I have the RV towing and 100 miles (or at least that is what I thought :mad: ). They informed me that they would call me back in about 5 minutes with an ETA. No call. I kept calling them back, but no answer on when it is going to be there. Finally they call me back and inform me that with the boat behind me they would cover the first $200 of the tow and the rest was up to me. They quoted between 300-350. They informed me that if it was just the boat, they would tow the truck up to 100 miles, but with the boat, I am stuck. They informed me that they needed a "special" tow truck that was capable of towing both the boat and truck (Standard Flat Bed Jackass!!!) Also, the time, and rate, starts the second that the truck leaved its prior job and continues until they drop me off. They then informed me that their current trucks are all on calls and it would be a while. They said that if I lost the boat it would be faster and zero $.
DesertGirl & DesertRider (Brian & Kathy) were driving a motorhome back and were just past Indio. They circled back and waited in indio. The KnuckleHeads left and met up with Brian & Kathy in Indio and unhooked their boat from their truck and attached it to the motorhome. They were going to drive back to me from Indio to pick up my boat so I wouldn't have to deal with the B.S. from AAA. Not 10 minutes after they left, Force 26 (Gary) happened to drive by and see an OP6C sticker in the back of my truck. He pulled over and introduced himself and offered his assistance. He offered to tow my boat from Chiraco down to Indio and meet up with the KnuckleHeads so they would not have to come all the way back. Talk about stepping up and helping someone you have never met! :)
Three hours after I originally called AAA the tow truck showed up. They towed my truck down to Indio where Force 26 and KnuckleHead were still chatting away. :) KnuckleHead followed us over to the dealership in Indio and waited while we unhooked the truck from the tow truck. Not only that, he climbed under my trailer and helped hook up a couple of lights that had failed. :) He then towed my boat back to Orange County and made sure that I got everything handled 100%.
Numerous ***boaters also called and volunteered their help. Flying Vees offered to drive back from Palm Springs and pick up the boat, H2Oski2Fast said that he was on the way and would be more than happy to lend a hand, Nord, BarbiGirl, RiverDiva, and FourSpeednUp all called to offer their assistance/moral support. :)
We constantly hear how ***boaters step up and help out other members. Today I was on the receiving end and it sure was nice! I would probably still be in Indio right now if these people did not step up and help me out. I can not express my grattitude enough! If I can ever step up and help out a fellow ***boater like they did, I will in a second! Thank you all again!!! :)
Danny

Huckleberry
10-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Sorry to hear your truck died on ya. But on a positive note, what the board members did to help out a brother was awesome!

Trailer Park Casanova
10-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Sorry to read of your woes Danny.
Cool to read everyone helped.
Keep us posted on the diagnosis of the truck.

DILLIGAF
10-02-2006, 02:52 AM
Nice seeing you again this weekend Danny. Sucks that the truck broke down but it's nice to see everybody helping out and making the best of a bad situation.
When you read something like this it really makes you feel good about the HB community. Good job everybody!

JetBoatRich
10-02-2006, 03:18 AM
The power of ***boat :cool:
Sucks about the truck, but thanks to good friends it seemed to be less painful :cool:

Red Horse
10-02-2006, 04:15 AM
Just proves that most boaters are just plain old damn good people!!
Sorry about the truck
What kind is it and would you mind posting what caused it and the fix please? :cool:

RitcheyRch
10-02-2006, 04:17 AM
Sucks that the truck broke down. Is good news to hear that some Hot Boaters stepped up and helped you out.

Big Warlock
10-02-2006, 04:36 AM
That is a great story! Gary (Force 26) is a great guy. That is the kind of stuff Hot boaters do for each other! :crossx:

shueman
10-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Good story on the true character of the Boating Family.....sucks on the rig though... :cry:

mxbundy
10-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Inquiring minds want to know what kind of truck was this?

BoatFloating
10-02-2006, 06:53 AM
Inquiring minds want to know what kind of truck was this?
Ford of coarse...... Sorry Danny

Mrs.Racer277
10-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Sorry to hear about the truck Danny.
It is great to hear what an awesome group of people are on here. :) :)

Tequila-John
10-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Great story Danny. Great to know we have a huge family here to fall back on

Windy
10-02-2006, 07:11 AM
Sorry about your truck Danny...but its good to know you have good friends.
We were in Havasu a couple weekends ago and we blew a trailor tire on our way back to the house...WildBill just happened to be driving by...and he stoped. :)
Weve also been on the other end more than a couple times. :)

C-2
10-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles and truck. We alwyas stop too, Sea Doos, Raider Nation and all.
I learned the hard way too on AAA - you need the Platinum service, good for truck and if necessary, trailer, up to 250 miles. It used to be the "RV service, but somewahere between here and there they switched it.
-- At least that's my understanding. Anybody else?

Hardly Satisfied
10-02-2006, 07:16 AM
sorry to hear, but what a outcome . glad everything kind of worked out except your truck

Mandelon
10-02-2006, 07:18 AM
I am not suprised at all. This group of folks are some of the best around. :cool: :cool:

Jyruiz
10-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Sucks about the truck, but I am glad to hear about the peeps on this board. However, it does not surprise me at all, there are a lot of good people on here. Oh, and my cousin lemon lawed his Ford for the same problem you had, it happened to him 4 times.

Dave C
10-02-2006, 07:39 AM
thats good karma for those peeps that helped out... hopefully someone repays them in their day of need.

BADBLOWN572
10-02-2006, 07:40 AM
The truck is an '04 F-250 with the turbo Diesel. This is my second one. The first one Ford stepped up and took back. It had 65K miles on it and since I had so many problems they took the truck back and gave me a brand new '04. Since I have had this truck, I have not had one problem with it, UNTIL THIS. I love the truck and it works great for me, when it runs. :rolleyes:

socalmoney
10-02-2006, 07:46 AM
So what your saying is I should replace my AAA bumper sticker with an OP6C sticker for better road side service. At 2 bucks a sticker that is a much better deal.
This post is another confirmation that the people on this board rock. Good luck with your truck.

phebus
10-02-2006, 07:48 AM
So what your saying is I should replace my AAA bumper sticker with an OP6C sticker for better road side service. At 2 bucks a sticker that is a much better deal.
This post is another confirmation that the people on this board rock. Good luck with your truck.
OP6C, what's that? Oh yeah, I read about it in a history book :)

mxbundy
10-02-2006, 08:00 AM
That is why I was asking, I am going through the by back process right now on my 04, 6.0 liter.
My truck has had 2 turbos, injectors replaced twice, and an oil leak that took them a month and and 2 ford engineers to fix. The thing would pump the oil out all over the place. On one of their attempts to fix it they called and said come get your truck and I asked them if they had road tested it? No they say, so I tell them to call me back after the road test and then I will make arraingments to come and get it. About an hour later I get a call, Dont come get it, we are having it towed in, it pumped all the oil out on the 15 with the tech. driving it. The truck has 98k miles but it has had at least $10000 worth of warrenty work, whats that about 10 cents per mile or something like that. The problems started around 30k miles.
I have AAA too, so it looks like it is time to step up to the platinum card.
Good luck with your truck!
All ***boat peeps that I have met are good peeps!

BADBLOWN572
10-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Just got off the phone with the Ford dealership. Apparently what was happening is the EGR cooler failed and began dumping coolant directly into the exhaust right around the turbo. That is what was causing all of the white smoke. They are still unaware if the EGR cooler was the only thing that went bad or if other things happened too. They say that if it is only the EGR cooler, it will be at least Thursday of this week. If it is something additional, longer. :cry:

Moneypitt
10-02-2006, 09:11 AM
After 2 or 3 years with AAA and THINKING I had boat towing as part of the "RV" package I found out my coverage did not cover the boat. That is additional to the standard RV package. I hadn't needed it so it was no big deal. Luckily, I paid the additional 26 bucks or so, and had it when needed in Colorado. It is not a free ride by any means, but they do cover the initial hook up and truck, 200 miles, and boat towing up to a certain amount of dollar value, $200 I think....Anyone wondering exactly what their AAA coverage covers should call them NOW to verify exactly what they'll get when and IF the time comes. ............MP

Zaairman
10-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Mmmm I'm glad my boater's insurance covers towing. Don't really think I'd need it seeing as how I launch 3 miles away from where it is currently stored, but maybe for one of the few trips to Table Rock during the year it will come in handy, but hopefully not.

Garrddogg
10-02-2006, 10:29 AM
No problem! Glad I could help out.. After all we are all one big happy family right!! It really was nothin ya know! Last year Photoglou Towed my boat from Parker to MY House in Whittier, now thats some shiat!!(THANKS AGAIN!)
It was nice to meet ya too Danny sorry it was like that.
Gary

Garrddogg
10-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Danny:
It was absolutely no problem. :) It was great to see all the HB peeps offer their service. Gary it was great meeting you and thanks for hanging out in Indio with me untill Danny got there.
You did not take that dog home did you? :p
It was kool meetin you too and hangin out!
NO, but My ex and the boys went back to get him though!
Gary

DILLIGAF
10-02-2006, 10:46 AM
No problem! Glad I could help out.. After all we are all one big happy family right!! It really was nothin ya know! Last year Photoglou Towed my boat from Parker to MY House in Whittier, now thats some shiat!!(THANKS AGAIN!)
It was nice to meet ya too Danny sorry it was like that.
Gary
Your everywhere Gary....lol
Good job!

Garrddogg
10-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Are you serious?
Are they keeping him?
I dont know!

MRS FLYIN VEE
10-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Danny we are so glad you made it home. But we would have turned around at the next offramp.
Our phone cut out then KH's called and said you guys had it handled. Sorry we couldn't do more but are very glad the HBers are great people. On and off the water . Sorry we couldn't be of more assistance. but are very glad all of you made it home safe. :)

DesertGirl
10-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Danny - you are welcome! Glad we could help and you made it home okay, and the truck made it to the dealership. Hope they can fix it for you.

fourspeednup
10-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Glad everything worked out with the boat and all...I was getting dizzy when you were explaining the logistics last night LOL :rollside: There must have been 10 different members involved in the roadside rescue :)
People always ask me what OP6C stands for...I tell them it's my towing insurance on the 10 or 40 fwys when I'm 200 miles from anywhere :)

RitcheyRch
10-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Nice to know that fellow ***boaters are looking out for others.

Garrddogg
10-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Are you serious?
Are they keeping him?
YUP! They keepin him..
Talked to my son today and he said they got him and took him to the vet and spent $1,700 or more..
The dog has "X" branded in his ear too! And a bunch of broken teeth..

Beer-30
10-02-2006, 07:35 PM
That's what I'm talking about!

Dezertrider
10-02-2006, 08:42 PM
It was kool meetin you too and hangin out!
NO, but My ex and the boys went back to get him though!
Gary
Oh thank god desertgirl and I left the truck stop by then!!!! We would of had another dog for sure.
Glad to hear Danny and a dog were rescued by the HB crew though.
Oh yeah desertgirl wants pics of the dog she missed rescuing!!!!!!!!!
Whewwwww!!!!!! :)