PDA

View Full Version : Quite a testimony to the structural integrity of Boeing products

RitcheyRch
10-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Last night circa 2300 our BAX (A B727-200C) aircraft flight 705BX encountered severe weather over Alberta Canada. The aircraft was cruising at 35,000 feet when it encountered tennis ball sized hail. The pictures below show some of the damage. All landing lights were destroyed, as was the radar. The crew was forced to make a "blind" emergency landing.
Upon safe return to the ground the first officer and flight engineer quit. It is expected that the aircraft is a total loss as its structural integrity has been compromised.

Sleek-Jet
10-02-2006, 09:11 AM
I call BS on the F/O and F/E quitting...
And you don't need radar to land an airplane... and not having landing lights isn't that big of a deal either...

Jordy
10-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Upon safe return to the ground the first officer and flight engineer quit.
Pussies. :D :D :D

Mandelon
10-02-2006, 09:12 AM
insane.

Tom Brown
10-02-2006, 09:15 AM
And you don't need radar to land an airplane... and not having landing lights isn't that big of a deal either...
Back in 'nam, we used to make dead stick landings with a blown off wing, missing stabilizer, and so much debris in front of the canopy we had zero visibility. It was no big deal.
Once on the ground, we'd have the plane fueled while medics apply tornoquets to our missing limbs and we'd head out again. The dead stick take offs were even more difficult than the landings.

Sleek-Jet
10-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Back in 'nam, we used to make dead stick landings with a blown off wing, missing stabilizer, and so much debris in front of the canopy we had zero visability. It was no big deal.
... besides... tennis ball sized hail in Canada is like pea sized US hail... it's all about the exchange rate... :D

Keith E. Sayre
10-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Wow! I'll bet it was loud in the cockpit? Or would they hit so hard that there wasn't any loud bangs?
Keith Sayre

RitcheyRch
10-02-2006, 09:25 AM
I have no idea if is true about the F/o and F/E quitting. I received this e-mail with pictures from one of my Design Engineer buddies at Boeing in Renton.

rrrr
10-02-2006, 09:29 AM
... besides... tennis ball sized hail in Canada is like pea sized US hail... it's all about the exchange rate... :D
LMFAO....... :crossx:

Keith E. Sayre
10-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Sleek Jet: Now that was funny!
Keith Sayre

Jbb
10-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Back in 'nam, we used to make dead stick landings with a blown off wing, missing stabilizer, and so much debris in front of the canopy we had zero visibility. It was no big deal.
Once on the ground, we'd have the plane fueled while medics apply tornoquets to our missing limbs and we'd head out again. The dead stick take offs were even more difficult than the landings.
Aah yes ....I remember you reminiscing about that over a couple of Colt 45's and a hookah of Lebanon blonde... :p
stumpy Brown reliving all those sorties over suk muk dik province.... :p
good times!.... :p

Outnumbered
10-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Couldn't find it on Snopes but I found this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060913082712AADd7cF

RiverDave
10-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Dear Pilotguy71, The aircraft was is not a BAX aircraft. It was not flight 705BX. It was not in cruise flight. It was not at 35,000 feet. There was no way to measure the size of the hail much less compare it to sporting equipment. Only half of the landing lights were destroyed. Not only did we not make a "Blind" emergency landing we don't know what a one is. The Flight Engineer and I did not quit. And the aircraft was not a total loss. Pretty much the only thing you got right is that it was over Alberta, Canada. Please do some research next time.
RD :D :D

soupersonic
10-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I believe it, they are French remember.

Tom Brown
10-02-2006, 01:32 PM
I heard all the occupants were killed and the autopilot system landed the plane. Apparently, terminal workers didn't realize there was a problem until they noticed nobody deplane at the terminal.

RitcheyRch
10-02-2006, 03:22 PM
I checked snopes as well and didnt find anything.
Couldn't find it on Snopes but I found this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060913082712AADd7cF

BoatPI
10-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Ouch. I am flying into Calgary tomorrow!!

Debbolas
10-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Charlie don't surf

disco_charger
10-02-2006, 03:55 PM
I believe it, they are French remember.
If they were French, they wouldn't quit. They'd surrender! :rolleyes:

Tom Brown
10-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Charlie don't surf
Oh charlie surfs..... charlie surfs just fine. Charlie vewy twicky.

Debbolas
10-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Oh charlie surfs..... charlie surfs just fine. Charlie vewy twicky.
Twicky Wabbit.......Raves our fouw G.I. onwy

Jbb
10-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Charlie found out first hand.......that the chief export of Tom Brown.....Is pain!....
http://www.danshistory.com/a1blast.jpg

Wet Dream
10-02-2006, 04:27 PM
All landing lights were destroyed, as was the radar. The crew was forced to make a "blind" emergency landing.
Appearently they didn't need the radar when it was working. If they did, they would have seen the weather system and avoided it. :D

RitcheyRch
10-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Very true.
Appearently they didn't need the radar when it was working. If they did, they would have seen the weather system and avoided it. :D

Jbb
10-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Passengers tell of hailstones flight terror :)
Passengers aboard a flight from Cyprus said they thought their aircraft was about to crash as it was battered by giant hailstones in a freak weather pocket.
Bmi flight BD8412 ran into the violent weather as it approached Manchester from Larnaca, causing the nose cone to cave in and the windshield to crack.
Terrified passengers were thrown from their seats as the hail bounced from the plane.
Pat Mallon, a 56-year-old medical secretary, said: "We suddenly started to dip like a rollercoaster and were lifted from our seats.
"As I looked to the left there was man on the floor sliding towards the cockpit. As I looked to the right there were several elderly people on the floor but they were told to stay down because it was safer there."
None of the 213 passengers or eight crew on board was injured.
Bruce Johnstone, a 47-year-old photo-journalist who was travelling to Manchester for a family wedding, said "People were thrown out of their seats. Some people were in the aisles on the floor. I was just hanging on for dear life.
"We had hit hail, blocks of ice. We heard it and it sounded like a machine gun."
The flight landed at Manchester Airport about half an hour behind schedule on Monday at 7.10pm.
A spokesman for bmi said: "Whilst the aircraft sustained visible external damage, none of the aircraft's operational control systems were affected."
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/10136.jpg

Tom Brown
10-02-2006, 04:36 PM
A spokesman for bmi said: "Whilst the aircraft sustained visible external damage, none of the aircraft's operational control systems were affected."
... so they made a gear up landing... just to ham it up a little.