PDA

View Full Version : AAA RV Members - Warning

BADBLOWN572
10-02-2006, 09:17 AM
My truck blew up on the way back from Parker this past weekend. I figured that it wouldn't be a big deal. AAA would tow my truck, and boat, from where I was to Indio. I have the AAA extended coverage as well as the RV coverage. Well, it turns out that 1) AAA only covers 100 miles worth of towing on the vehicle and not the trailer, 2) AAA pays up to $200 for the towing of the trailer. I was quoted between $300-$350 to tow the boat from 8 miles past Chiraco Summit to Indio. The tow company begin charging their rate from the time they leave their previous job until they get to their following job. I was under the impression that with the RV I got up to 100 miles of towing on both the truck and trailer. I was incorrect. I also would have thought that I would only have to pay for the tow truck driver's time while I am being towed. Wrong again.
Moral of the story, check your AAA policy and realize exactly what it covers. I know that I am going to upgrade to the Premium package ASAP. The driver said that he towed a guy with an RV policy from Desert Center to Indio and it cost the customer almost $600.00. If you upgrade to the Premium package, your area gets extended and the towing of the trailer is also covered. Just a heads up! :)

Parker Dreamin
10-02-2006, 09:22 AM
I have AAA Premier with RV/Motorcycle just in case, knock on wood I have not had to use it.
At least you had some coverage, it could have cost ya lots more.

Caribbean Jet
10-02-2006, 09:26 AM
I was just looking into this last night,
Thank you for the heads up.

MrsJetDriver
10-02-2006, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty sure we have the premium plus rv but I will double check just to make sure. Thanks for the heads up!

voodoomedman
10-02-2006, 09:29 AM
I hope you don't have Progressive insurance on your boat or you will be kicking yourself. Your trailer is covered as well as your tow vehicle while attached to your trailer with a Progressive Policy.

RitcheyRch
10-02-2006, 09:31 AM
http://www.aaa-calif.com/auto/maintain/RVtow.asp
Roadside Assistance for RVs, Motorcycles and Recreational Trailers
Feel more secure traveling in your recreational vehicle, towing your boat or riding your motorcycle with our optional RV and Motorcycle Towing and RV Tire Change service.
With a AAA membership, you already receive lockout/locksmith assistance and emergency fuel delivery for your RV and motorcycle. Our optional RV and Motorcycle Towing and RV Tire Change service extends these services to include:
A total of four RV or motorcycle towing or RV tire change service calls per household, each membership year. These calls are in addition to the four roadside assistance calls each cardholder receives per membership year.
Up to $200 in service per disablement for Classic and AAA Plus members (up to $800 per membership year).
Up to $300 in service per disablement for AAA Premier members (up to $1,200 per membership year).
Applies to RVs, recreational trailers or motorcycles you own, borrow or rent.
Benefits extend across the U.S. and Canada.
These RV and motorcycle benefits apply to vehicles and trailers used for recreational purposes, and motorcycles that are licensed for highway use. Vehicles eligible for our optional RV and Motorcycle Towing and RV Tire Change service:
motorcycles
motor homes
camper vans
cab-over campers
camping trailers
fifth wheel trailers
boat trailers
personal watercraft trailers
horse trailers*
ATV trailers
utility trailers carrying recreational equipment
Add RV and motorcycle towing and RV tire change service online or call 1-800-222-8794 or visit your local Auto Club office. For more information, please see the Guide to Recreational Vehicle and Motorcycle Roadside Assistance brochure available at all Auto Club offices.

wsuwrhr
10-02-2006, 09:48 AM
I have AAA Premier with RV/Motorcycle just in case, knock on wood I have not had to use it.
That is what we have.
Brian

RitcheyRch
10-02-2006, 10:22 AM
I have the same. Just glad havent had to use it.
At least you had some coverage, it could have cost ya lots more.

jbone
10-02-2006, 10:33 AM
2 years ago, the tranny in my suburban went out on the way to the river. I was towing my boat at the time.
Turns out, I did not have the RV coverage.
However, I was allowed to upgrade on the phone and I received the benefits immediately.
Tow driver put the suburban on the flat bed with us in it (family of 4) and towed the boat behind.
When we got to the shop in Winterhaven the AAMCO guy tried to sell a $5,000 rebuild. After talking with a buddy on the phone, it turns out I just overheated the tranny and boiled fluid out. After putting more fluid in, I told the AAMCO guy to phuck himself and caustiously pulled the boat to the river.
That was a great weekend. The tow didn't cost me a dime. It was about a 30 mile tow.
J

Itsahobby
10-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Just got off the phone with AAA, they don't offer RVtow in California, just the plus that covers up to $200. :cry:

marty722
10-02-2006, 12:16 PM
from is the Good Sam towing.... I have the rv towing with them and they left me stuck at BV on a Sun night as I needed a locksmith and there reply was it was sun and they can't get ahold of anyone.... I cancelled and went with Campingworld towing but I use AAA as a backup..... AAA came through for me that night although it cost me a pretty penny but atleast I got home.....

rivrbrat
10-02-2006, 01:11 PM
We have AAA plus.... And about 4 years ago my hubsand broke down in East of Ludlow and was in a crewcab dually and pulling a 24 foot deck. Towing company came out and towed the dually and the boat to Barstow. Driver tried to pump additional cash out of him and my husband wasn't have it. You really have to watch the tow driver because they really don't care to run AAA calls .

cruser
10-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Got the AAA RV Plus from Oregon this year for the first time (100mile towing coverage on boat trailer/truck/cars etc) and had occasion to use it. I had a flat on the boat trailer that fix-a-flat wouldn't fix. They sent out a semi truck with a flat bed trailer to tow me. By the time they got the truck there to tow me in, I had gotten a plug to hold air on the trailer tire but I didn't want to chance the drive home late at night and maybe have to call again. I drove the F150 and Boat trailer up on the flatbed and rode home in the Semi's cab. Tow distance was about 65 miles. Driver said he charged AAA about $350 but if I didn't have it, the bill would've been a lot more. Driver came from a few miles farther away. He probably logged 100-120 miles on the rig plus another 1/2 hour on the clock each way to the shop.

Flyinbowtie
10-02-2006, 02:58 PM
My wife manages an office for one of the local State Farm agents.
I called for lots of tows for stranded tourists and locals during my time as a deputy sheriff. A close friend, now deceased, owned one of the biggest private tow services in the area for over 40 years. Big Rig tow, RV, off-road, Cresswell's did it all. He never was shy when talking about how he dealt with insurance companies.
The thing I remember about AAA was that, in many cases, you are dealing with somebody a long ways away, and not necessarily your "agent" or even somebody with the juice to make things happen. That is what you really want when you're standing on the side of some road.
This was the case with lots of other co.s as well. In my experience, Good Sam was the worst of the worst. Hours and hours of waiting, followed by minimal service. When the vehicle is a traffic hazard, the po-lice get to hang around, too.
I have sat in Cindy's office while she has talked to clients who are out-of-state, broke down with RV's etc. More than once she has talked directly to the tow truck driver, giving authorization to provide the needed service to the customer.
If an insurance company, or even a local agent for a company, gets a reputation of not paying/lo-balling/paying late the tow companies simply stop towing on their clients. They make the client pay up front and tell them to go hash it out with the insurance company themselves, after the issue is delt with.
It is always nice to have a name and a phone number of somebody who can make things happen.

RitcheyRch
10-02-2006, 03:47 PM
This thread definitely not giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Not sure what I get with my AAA Premiere with RV. Do they tow me and the trailer or give me credit for the tow?

Trailer Park Casanova
10-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I ran a thread on this earlier this summer.
AAA Premier is the best way to go.
Many ***boaters chimed in with how it saved their ass.
It's only $57 more for you and $40 to add the Wife.:
Roadside Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and covers you in any car/truck you are in. If you're riding with Brown in Regina and his two tone Rambler Pacer pukes towing the Hobie Cat, it's all covered.
In California, call 1-800-400-4AAA (1-800-400-4222)
Submit a request for Road Service Online.
In other states and Canada, call 1-800-AAA-HELP (1-800-222-4357)
Need a rental car while yours is at the mechanic? Pre-authorized Deep discounts.
Members who have purchased the RV and motorcycle towing and RV tire change service option:
In Southern California — call 1-800-444-4485
Outside Southern California — call 1-800-AAA-HELP (1-800-400-4222)
Benefit AAA Premier add on:
Towing Benefit — Across U.S. and Canada Up to 200 miles on 1 tow, up to 100 miles on your remaining tows 100 miles.
Vehicle Locksmith Service $100 worth of service worth of service
Emergency Fuel Delivery Free Free You pay for fuel
Trip Interruption Benefits Up to $1,000
Vehicle Return Benefits Up to $500 <<<< A BFD!!
Rental Car Benefits (with in-state tow) One-day complimentary rental car (standard car class) Discounted rates, plus free one-car-class upgrade Discounted rates
24-Hour Emergency Travel & Medical Assistance Unlimited
Home Lockout Service Up to $100
Accident Assist Unlimited
Ride Assist Unlimited
Route Support Unlimited
Toll-Free Number for Dedicated Service Dedicated Team

RitcheyRch
10-02-2006, 04:10 PM
I have the Premiere with the RV package but after reading what happened to BADBLOWN am beginning to wonder what would really happen if needed my truck and boat towed. Would they make me pay and I would get credit from AAA or would the tow cost me nothing?
I ran a thread on this earlier this summer.
AAA Premier is the best way to go.
Many ***boaters chimed in with how it saved their ass.
It's only $57 more for you and $40 to add the Wife.:
Roadside Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and covers you in any car/truck you are in. If your riding with Brown in Regina and his Rambler Pacer pukes towing the dingy, it's all covered.
In California, call 1-800-400-4AAA (1-800-400-4222)
Submit a request for Road Service Online®
In other states and Canada, call 1-800-AAA-HELP (1-800-222-4357)
Need a rental car while yours is at the mechanic? Learn more about the Auto Club's Auto Rental Assistance Program.
Members who have purchased the RV and motorcycle towing and RV tire change service option:
In Southern California — call 1-800-444-4485
Outside Southern California — call 1-800-AAA-HELP (1-800-400-4222)
Benefit AAA Premier:
Towing Benefit — Across U.S. and Canada Up to 200 miles on 1 tow, up to 100 miles on your remaining tows 100 miles.
Vehicle Locksmith Service $100 worth of service worth of service
Emergency Fuel Delivery Free Free You pay for fuel
Trip Interruption Benefits Up to $1,000 Up to $750
Vehicle Return Benefits Up to $500
Rental Car Benefits (with in-state tow) One-day complimentary rental car (standard car class) Discounted rates, plus free one-car-class upgrade Discounted rates
24-Hour Emergency Travel & Medical Assistance Unlimited
Home Lockout Service Up to $100
Accident Assist Unlimited
Ride Assist Unlimited
Route Support Unlimited
Toll-Free Number for Dedicated Service Dedicated Team

Trailer Park Casanova
10-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I have the Premiere with the RV package but after reading what happened to BADBLOWN am beginning to wonder what would really happen if needed my truck and boat towed. Would they make me pay and I would get credit from AAA or would the tow cost me nothing?
I understand that Danny has RV/boat towing, not the Premier add on,, that's extra.
Check your policy that you Have PREMIER in addition to the RV/Boat/trailer coverage.
My wise wifey has our coverage renewing in August, so we'll have the 200 mile service most the summer, if we have to use it early summer, the reset will happen again in August, covering us for the rest of the summer.
Know lots and lots of people had their boats and trucks towed home from the river,, saving wheel barrows of cash.
A few people on here even did the math of what it saved them: If you use the 200 mile towing for both the truck and boat, it pays for itself over the next several decades of dues.

RitcheyRch
10-02-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm looking for the paperwork that explains what I get.
I understand that Danny has RV/boat towing, not the Premier add on,, that's extra.
Check your policy that you Have PREMIER in addition to the RV/Boat/trailer coverage.
My wise wifey has our coverage renewing in August, so we'll have the 200 mile service most the summer, if we have to use it early summer, the reset will happen again in August, covering us for the rest of the summer.
Know lots and lots of people had their boats and trucks towed home from the river,, saving wheel barrows of cash.
A few people on here even did the math of what it saved them: If you use the 200 mile towing for both the truck and boat, it pays for itself over the next several decades of dues.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Bob Stevens had his Party Cat AND his 5 ton GMC tow'd from just outta Barstow to Advantage in Havasu and it was all covered on his AAA Premier towing.
The truck suffered some sort of vapor lock kinda syndrome that diesels can get in super hot weather,, he tells the story better with a few Capt & Dr's in him.
He's a GMC Caddy service manager so I buy his take.

Kachina26
10-02-2006, 05:07 PM
I have the Allstate RV towing (got it before I had Allstate ins), paid $99 a year for all vehicles, trailers, and drivers. I had to get the boat towed from Baker to Hesperia, they cover to the next facility which was Barstow, I paid the extra $150 to get all the way home. So far it has been a real life saver and was alot less than AAA.

havasu5150
10-02-2006, 08:04 PM
I have AAA Platinum. Earlier this summer I blew a front tire on the dually on hwy 72 in BFE. Unfortunatley I had issues with my spare so I could not proceed. Called AAA. It took several minutes on hold to get the operator to understand that I was in Arizona and not Texas....but I finally got her to understnd my location. About a half hour later, here comes the tow. Put the dually on the flat rack and towed the Conquest behind to a 24 hour tire shop that got my going again......no charge for the tow, AAA cover the whole thing. about 60 miles towed. It would have been at least $400 bucks if it came out of my pocket.

mickeyfinn
10-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Listening to you out west makes me glad I am on the East coast. Almost always less than a 5 or 10 minute tow from the lake. A long tow means towing to the north end of the lake (about an hour). Everyone you know has a boat or truck so if you do have a problem, don't usually need AAA.

YeLLowBoaT
10-02-2006, 09:21 PM
I had a simlar exp with AAA. I had my brakes go out towing a boat.( had some type of rodent chew thru on of my rubber brake lines) The tow truck driver filed me in on the whole AAA towing trailer deal on the 1.5 hour tow back home.
basicly they pay a flat fee and normally will not tow a trailer unless it has a prob( so like me I just let some air out of the tire and said it was flat) For those of you that a horses, they will not tow a trailer with any type of lifestock in it.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-03-2006, 03:26 AM
At Cottonwood Cove, when our new Ford truck did the famous-secondary-combustion-in-the-cat-converters suicide trick:
AAA towed the truck on a flatbed, along with our boat and trailer to Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas, all costs covered by the AAA Premier Plan.
Had it been a GM truck, the towing would have been covered by the GMPP warranty.
Ford tried to charge us $1800 for the replacement of the Cats not covered under the drivetrain warranty, and the work would be done that afternoon.
AAA went out of their way & notified us it's a common problem with Fords, & that it should be covered by federal emissions warranty.
We contacted Ford with that knowledge.
At that point, Fords attitude changed & it took three weeks to get the work done.
The lemon law is the best piece of consumer legislation ever passed.
This family will never, ever, buy a Ford product again.