PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a 3yr old....What to do?

C-2
10-02-2006, 08:55 PM
So we are going to Hawaii in November, and have never flown with our 3.5yr old little girlie.
Are portable DVD players permitted on flights?
Does anybody elese have any pointers for a 5 hour flight and busy little girl?
Rarely does she fall asleep in the car - in fact she's wide-awake on most drives to Havi.
The vacation part is easy, but getting there scares the hell out of me :220v: :220v:

78Eliminator
10-02-2006, 08:59 PM
So we are going to Hawaii in November, and have never flown with our 3.5yr old little girlie.
Rarely does she fall asleep in the car - in fact she's wide-awake on most drives to Havi.
The vacation part is easy, but getting there scares the hell out of me :220v: :220v:
A screwdriver?

b's sanger
10-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Nyquil. No offense, but spent an 11 hour flight back from Paris with a screaming 3 year old. Not mine.

talbert450r
10-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Portable DVD players and all other electronics are allowed on the plane and can be used once in flight. Just remember not to bring any liquids or gels in you carry-on or they will take them. Whatever you do please don't let your child kick the seat in front of them it drives everyone crazy. Have a Great time on your trip. :)

Longtime Lurker
10-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Portable DVD player was the best investment we made. Our daughter will be 4 this month and she has made the trip twice. She loved the plane. We dropped in a movie and she was cool. We also took coloring books, regular books, and a lot of snacks.

78Eliminator
10-02-2006, 09:04 PM
How about leave her with grandma?

C-2
10-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Family vacation, I wanna take her, and besides - grandma owns the Hawaii vacation house. She might get a little miffed if we come empty handed!
So I figure we got about 45 minutes to 1 hour in general excitement, about .5-1 hour in book reading, 1.5 hours for a movie; another 1 hour of Fergie and Gwen Stefani before the laptop craps out.....I still need to fill 1.5-2 hours of time.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
10-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Piece of gum or some kind of sucky candy on accent & decent to help with the cabin pressurization....
If not.....you will be in hell....
Later,
CJG
:)

Longtime Lurker
10-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Family vacation, I wanna take her, and besides - grandma owns the Hawaii vacation house. She might get a little miffed if we come empty handed!
So I figure we got about 45 minutes to 1 hour in general excitement, about .5-1 hour in book reading, 1.5 hours for a movie; another 1 hour of Fergie and Gwen Stefani before the laptop craps out.....I still need to fill 1.5-2 hours of time.
If you have an Ipod, create a playlist for her.
If you are able to download your movies into your computer, that might help with the battery life.

78Eliminator
10-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Or you can tell her to be quiet and sit still and be patient.
hahahaha. yeah, i dont have kids, can you tell? lol

Jyruiz
10-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Cough medicine with codeine or allergy medicine. :D

Rexone
10-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Just remember not to bring any liquids or gels in you carry-on or they will take them.
I thought that was changed last week?

socalmoney
10-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Flying with a 3yr old....What to do? :
Don't sit by me!

73kona455
10-02-2006, 09:57 PM
duct tape and nylon zip ties........ :cool:

talbert450r
10-02-2006, 10:01 PM
I thought that was changed last week?
They allow something like 3.5 oz total but it must be seperated in clear plastic bag and you may be subject to additional screening, its just easier not to bring any.

Wake Havasu
10-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey Craig
Make certain she is chewing or drinking on the up and down to relieve any ear pressure.

Wake Havasu
10-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Cough medicine with codeine or allergy medicine. :D
AHHH an experienced parent~!
I miss the days when mine were young enough to kock 'em out with dimetap!
:)

HYPNAUTIC
10-02-2006, 11:38 PM
many airlines have upgraded their cabins to include power for laptop computers. you do need a special adapter that can be rented through the airline. you must call in advance to reserve one. a special/ surprise movie might keep her attention better. i for example will be buying The Little Mermaid today.
Guava juice is typically served inflight also. to avoid her from using "lavatory" serve her at least 2 or 3 glasses. give her 6-7-8 and you wont have to worry about her going #2 until you get home.
if you do need to get her up to walk around, walk her towards the back galley, the crew normally hangs out there. they're usually good at distracting kids.
on the +side. airlines presurize their cabins with only 85% oxygen which will help her fall asleep easier
dont worry bout other passengers, most of them have been in your shoes before. my daughter will be 5 in Dec and has made that particular trip 3X's

imirsh1
10-03-2006, 05:16 AM
I have a 3 year old and just did Hawaii, The key is take the red eye. It worked for us.

scarabrick2
10-03-2006, 05:35 AM
lap top will only last so long. make sure u bring comfortable head sets for the movies. go to costco and buy the 7 inch dvd player. bring a bunch of movies as she'll be always asking for something u don't have. plus you can use the dvd player when u get 2 Hawaii in her room as it has the outputs so u can hook it up 2 another tv. instant babysitter:) take the headstes OFF when departing/landing. don't want built up pressure. if she chews sugar free gum give her a piece before u take off and unpon descent. Lasst time I took my son on a long flight, i went to costco and bought another dvd player but i only used the battery for an extra. took it back when i got back. Just keep the package in order so they can put ti back on the shelf and re sell it

Sherpa
10-03-2006, 05:41 AM
benadryl is your freind............. seriously.
--Sherpa

Dave4XTC
10-03-2006, 05:51 AM
We just did the trip last week with a 1.5 yr. old, Go to Costco and get the 7in DVD Player for $199 it will last the whole 5 hrs on a good charge, Sit at the back of the plane it's easier to get up and walk around in the back galley.
Also depending on the plane get the 3 middle sits and that will give you all more room.
Our son had tubes in his ears so we didn't have to worry about the pressure change.
Test out before what works better med wise our son gets hyped up on Benedryl ( Damn kid)
Good Luck

jimslade
10-03-2006, 06:00 AM
I can't believe you people(read sickos) are using drugs to sedate your kids because you are to LAZY to keep them occupied. I raised 3 boys and we took them everywhere. My kids learned how to behave and when they were restless it was MY job to keep them occupied. Play with your kids. Not just on holidays. When they are young, its the best time of your life. Give them the window seat and let them chew gum. Enjoy! 4 years old was a great time with my kids. When they get a life of their own, you will miss them.

voodoomedman
10-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Just got back from South Carolina and we flew with our 18 month old. Don't take this the wrong way but if your kid is a screaming brat then people will be annoyed. Otherwise if your kid is generally good and everyone can see that you came prepared then everyone appreciates it. The people that will shreek just seeing a kid are either those that don't or never have had kids or old people. But it's as simple as this. Make sure your kid gets plenty of rest. If you keep them awake and tired to make them sleep on the flight it will work the opposite and make them cranky. Good rest and fed normally so they are content. If they are old enough to understand explain to them before the flight about being good and indoor voices and such and maybe they get some kind of reward for being good. Anyways, yes you can use the dvd players or a laptop as long as there is no wireless connection or the connection is turned off. Some planes now have dc outlets as well but not at all seats so inquire about it and try and get one of those seats. You don't have to use headphones if you turn the volume low enough so basically only your row will hear it. People in our row were actually watching Baby Einstein too. And most should be appreciative to listen to that instead of crying kids. If you need any help ask the flight attendants. They are great with the kids and at making it easy to fly with kids. Also have plenty of snacks but give them to them slowly as a busy kid is a behaving kid. You'll be surprised. If your kid is normally well behaved he/she will be fine on the flight. The ones that are usually a pain are ones that are a pain all the time and their parents don't give them any discipline.

voodoomedman
10-03-2006, 06:07 AM
I can't believe you people(read sickos) are using drugs to sedate your kids because you are to LAZY to keep them occupied. I raised 3 boys and we took them everywhere. My kids learned how to behave and when they were restless it was MY job to keep them occupied. Play with your kids. Not just on holidays. When they are young, its the best time of your life. Give them the window seat and let them chew gum. Enjoy! 4 years old was a great time with my kids. When they get a life of their own, you will miss them.
Well said.

ratso
10-03-2006, 06:22 AM
LOL at this thread... I'll take the Benadryl or whatever to sedate myself from some of these kids I've had to fly with. I don't agree with sedating kids... lmao... but Jim, it's too bad most parents don't share your beliefs... They let their friggin' kids run wild and will make a plane flight, a movie, church (not that I go anymore) or going out to eat, pure HELL... :yuk:

ratso
10-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Just got back from South Carolina and we flew with our 18 month old. Don't take this the wrong way but if your kid is a screaming brat then people will be annoyed. Otherwise if your kid is generally good and everyone can see that you came prepared then everyone appreciates it. The people that will shreek just seeing a kid are either those that don't or never have had kids or old people. But it's as simple as this. Make sure your kid gets plenty of rest. If you keep them awake and tired to make them sleep on the flight it will work the opposite and make them cranky. Good rest and fed normally so they are content. If they are old enough to understand explain to them before the flight about being good and indoor voices and such and maybe they get some kind of reward for being good. Anyways, yes you can use the dvd players or a laptop as long as there is no wireless connection or the connection is turned off. Some planes now have dc outlets as well but not at all seats so inquire about it and try and get one of those seats. You don't have to use headphones if you turn the volume low enough so basically only your row will hear it. People in our row were actually watching Baby Einstein too. And most should be appreciative to listen to that instead of crying kids. If you need any help ask the flight attendants. They are great with the kids and at making it easy to fly with kids. Also have plenty of snacks but give them to them slowly as a busy kid is a behaving kid. You'll be surprised. If your kid is normally well behaved he/she will be fine on the flight. The ones that are usually a pain are ones that are a pain all the time and their parents don't give them any discipline.
It's too bad that you can't just ship the unruly kids by UPS... :idea: :D

jbone
10-03-2006, 06:25 AM
I guess I've been lucky. My girls are 4 and 5 now. They have been to Australia twice (14 hrs from LAX to Brisbane), and various Mexico vacations. They have never cried or been a problem. The redeye helps though, they sleep most of the way.
Bigger planes have individual monitors and headsets so you can watch what you want, or play games.
Crayons and coloring books were good, or other plane friendly activities.
Don't forget, there will be a meal served. That could take up some time too.
The window seat won't be much of a help, since everything below will just be blue.
Good luck, I think the 5 hours will fly by. lol.
J

voodoomedman
10-03-2006, 06:32 AM
It's too bad that you can't just ship the unruly kids by UPS... :idea: :D
I hope no one ever does that. You wouldn't believe some of the other stuff people have tried.

Schiada76
10-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Drive. :220v:

payloan
10-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Funny I came across this thread. I got one for you guys..... I am leaving tommorow for Ohio 4+ hour flight) with a 12,11,5,4,and 2 year old. Yes 5 kids and the wife. Any suggestions here? :)

Jyruiz
10-03-2006, 06:59 AM
I think everybody was kidding about this, at least I know I was.

voodoomedman
10-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Funny I came across this thread. I got one for you guys..... I am leaving tommorow for Ohio 4+ hour flight) with a 12,11,5,4,and 2 year old. Yes 5 kids and the wife. Any suggestions here? :)
Yeah upgrade to first class and leave the kids in back. :D

OnlyMoney
10-03-2006, 07:12 AM
We just did Maui two weeks ago. I don't know which airline you're flying, but we took Hawaiian and they have individual "tv's" available ($15) and there are movies, tv shows, music videos, music, etc. on them. Very cool stuff. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't watch Ice Age 2 and sleep to Phantom of the Opera songs........ :p

dirty old man
10-03-2006, 07:37 AM
Take up a collection from the other passengers and charter a private jet. Maybe you will get lucky and other couples with young kids can go too...

ratso
10-03-2006, 07:41 AM
One couple I know takes their kid EVERYWHERE with them, since day one. He is six now and is the meanest smartass little bastard you'd ever meet in your life, since day one. No discipline whatsoever. At 35000 feet with this little shit on a plane trip to Hawaii, I'd find some way to jump. :220v:

SmokinLowriderSS
10-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Yes, as are computers & CD Players, just not near the ground, and no liquids.
Dramamine
More dramamine
Did I mention Dramamine?
Be glad it wasn't the 9-hr flight I took to get there.
Took another 9 to get back a week later, and those were just from/to CALI.

Mrs_Wally_Gator
10-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Get you a couple of little presents for her. Nothing expensive, go to the 99 cent store. and when she starts getting antsy, give her a little gift. Colors, coloring books, game boys, and a portable dvd player saved us on our plane ride to TX over Christmas. Hope this helps.

Keith E. Sayre
10-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Be careful with the Benadryl. Try it a week ahead of time, we talked with a
friend who is an MD before taking our 18 month old for 6 hours and he said
sure, well some people go night night and some people get hyper. Ours got
hyper. It was the longest flight of my life. People around me could see that
our 5 and 11 year olds were well behaved and I apologized a thousand times
and people actually took turns walking him around. I was the only one that
felt uncomfortable. Everyone else kept saying they understood.
I also agree with whoever said that if your kid gets regular attention and
discipline, then it's normally not too big of a deal.
Good Luck!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Classic Daycruiser
10-03-2006, 08:54 AM
I agree, Hawaii is not all that special for a 3 year old, but I'm sure special to the grand parents.

Sleek-Jet
10-03-2006, 08:56 AM
They allow something like 3.5 oz total but it must be seperated in clear plastic bag and you may be subject to additional screening, its just easier not to bring any.
Just don't write anything on the bag...
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/28/idiot.baggie/index.html

C-2
10-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions – your input is very much appreciated.
Our girlie is well-behaved and courteous, but busy. I’ll call the airline and find out what’s available, and I like the idea of downloaded videos, movies and even an Ipod. We plan on surprising her with Curious George (she saw it at the movies) and Little Mermaid – she’s been flipping out over that one.
I waited 37 years to have my first and only child, so my wife and I are very mindful of not disturbing others. We’ll be alright, sounds like I’m worrying about it too much
Now PAYLOAN on the on the other hand – he’s got a handful (literally).
And to all the guys with no patience for kids – like I said, I was 37 years without. You are missing an incredible slice of life that brings you more happiness than boats, booze, money, and sex will ever give you (seriously). OK, well maybe not the sex part….
Thanks again :)

C-2
10-03-2006, 12:17 PM
We just did Maui two weeks ago. I don't know which airline you're flying, but we took Hawaiian and they have individual "tv's" available ($15) and there are movies, tv shows, music videos, music, etc. on them. Very cool stuff. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't watch Ice Age 2 and sleep to Phantom of the Opera songs........ :p
That's too funny, outr little girlie also loves the Phantom soundtrack. As she gets older, she's more afraid of the movie itself. Personally, we are Phantom junkies and have seen it 6-7 times....a production is coming to San Bdo in April.

Three Days Only
10-03-2006, 12:24 PM
If you take a portable DVD player. Get some good noise cancelling headphones or you will not be able to hear shit. We took the kids to Hawaii last year. Bought them both DVD players, niether of them were loud enough to hear once in the air. We bought some noise cancelling headsets on Maui for the trip back and they worked bitchen. Without them, they are a waste.
Laptops, Phones, DVD players they are all allowed.
I would take some crayons, coloring books, DVD player, nyquil gel caps, a bong load, some cocktails in the bar, you and you little girl should be good!!!!

H4215
10-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Where on Hawaii Craig? If I remember right you've been there a couple of times, correct? I flew to Maui with my 2 yr. old in 2002, it can be a trying experience; but with all the good advice you have gotten thus far I am sure you'll do fine. I know your daughter will. I took a portable DVD player, and back then it was only good for 3 hours; luckily I had an add'l battery. BTW just a side note; if you're going to Maui a portable DVD player is also very helpful on the road to Hana and Haleakala. Anyway he only watched one movie, but we also brought along a few CD's that were Kid's movies soundtracks (Shrek, Toys) that he liked which kept him occupied for another hour and a half. We had kept him occupied for close to 4 hours with movie, music, and coloring books. With all the newer technology and your resourcefulness it'll be a breeze.
Here's the rest of the story though; unfortunately during the last hour of the flight everything went to hell. We had done such a good job keeping him occupied and busy, we missed nap time; big friggin' mistake. The last hour of the flight he was overly tired, and you could say cranky; that's an understatement. I walked him around a little, but as some of you may know walking around is not going to alleviate over tired; but rather enhance it. Also we are preparing for descent so I am getting shued back to our seats. By this time he was pissed and letting everyone know it, and he refused to chew his gum so his ears were bothering him as well. Just before we touched down he's crying, my wife is almost in tears because she feels everyone is staring and giving her and my son dirty looks, and most importantly my son and wife are upset and there is very little I can do to alleviate it. I know at this point we're just going to have to ride it out until we land. The only thing I could do anything about was the staring and dirty looks (those of you that are frequent flyers or well travelled will not like the next part so you may not want to read it). I said in a loud enough voice to be heard and with a cold calm that I was from Maui, and if I got any static about this incidence with my son; they would have a difficult time finding a tolerable meal because I have cousins and family that work all over the Island. For the most part everyone was understanding on the flight and the Flight Attendants did their best to help, but their were a few non-parents that were giving occasional looks until I said my peace. I am by no means saying I did the right thing or the courteous thing, but I'll admit I was selfish during that period and my only concern during it was my family. He slept almost the entire way back on the return flight. I felt like we were well enough prepared, but as all of you know that are parents; sometimes stuff just happens.

wolfie
10-07-2006, 09:15 AM
benadryl is your freind............. seriously.
--Sherpa
I agree. And if that doesn't work, Kwick Start fluid (ether) on a rag works wonders.

All IN
10-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Besides the DVD which I always bring you could buy a additioanl battery that works on any DVD player.
Go to the .99 store and buy 10-15 toys. Gift wrap them and let him/her open some in each direction. They love opening gifts and it will keep them busy.

SHOTKALLIN
10-07-2006, 08:41 PM
get an early flight. 8am you will get to the airport at 6am. wake up is 4am? wake the kid you awake at 4am. the kid will sleep on the plane.