PDA

View Full Version : Are stainless fenders worth the extra $640?

socalmoney
10-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Need to replace my 25 year old Competitive trailer and was thinking of getting an Extreme trailer. They want $4500 for a new trailer with all standard equipment. It would cost me $640 to replace the painted fenders with stainless fenders. Is is worth it? Anything else I should consider? What should I do with my old trailer?

cdog
10-03-2006, 01:32 PM
No. Plus they'll be so god dammed hot you'll burn the hell out of your hand when you touch them after sitting in the AZ sun. :220v:

shockwavebd
10-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I say yes...if you scratch them you can buff them out............don't listen to cory....lol

Kilrtoy
10-03-2006, 01:37 PM
no

getreal
10-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I’ve had trailers both ways, without a doubt stainless is the way to go.

lilrick
10-03-2006, 01:42 PM
SS anything is cool.

Mandelon
10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Only if they won't be worth more than the boat..... :p It looks nice, they won't chip and rust.....but its your money.....
Man--->chipped white fenders<------delon.... :rolleyes:

voodoomedman
Not worth it. They get hot and it is the one area where the bling actually doesn't look better. The trick with the painted fenders is to put a bath mat on them when people are climbing in and out and you don't get the scratched up. If room is a problem then maybe consider a swing a way tongue but only if room is a problem. I don't have one because room isn't an issue and the tounge actually only sits a few inches in front of the bow. Now one thing I say to get is the retractable tie down straps on the back of the trailer. Very convenient.

prop check
Stainless is definetely nicer looking and can be polish to eliminate chips from towing. How about trying another trailer builder that might have a better deal on the nicer features for a trailer. Pacific,shadow,hoss/zeiman,Competitive

Angry Inch
10-03-2006, 01:49 PM
If you like the painted look, stoneguard it.

Havasu1986
10-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Yes!!!

socalmoney
10-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Stainless is definetely nicer looking and can be polish to eliminate chips from towing. How about trying another trailer builder that might have a better deal on the nicer features for a trailer. Pacific,shadow,hoss/zeiman,Competitive
I talked to Competitive and they want $4200 for the trailer and $675 for stainless fenders. My boat is at Manny Fores Boat Works in Corona. I had him inspect the hull, floor, transom etc to make sure all is good before I break out another thousand.

phebus
10-03-2006, 02:22 PM
People fall in love with their trailers, but I see them as just a tool to get the boat to the water. Just make sure everything works, and go with a clean look, and save the bling for the boat where you are spending your time anyway.

Tom Brown
10-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Stainless fenders are definitely worth it.
...... if you're the guy selling them. :D

socalmoney
10-03-2006, 02:32 PM
People fall in love with their trailers, but I see them as just a tool to get the boat to the water. Just make sure everything works, and go with a clean look, and save the bling for the boat where you are spending your time anyway.
Good point. I have 4 tie downs holding my boat on the trailer now so it is really only half a tool.

Schiada76
10-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Stainless Stainless Stainless!
Hopefully they get hot enough that people stay the FAWK off of them. :mad:
Seems steep on the price I just bought a brand new pair RETAIL for $400.00.

socalmoney
10-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Stainless Stainless Stainless!
Hopefully they get hot enough that people stay the FAWK off of them. :mad:
Seems steep on the price I just bought a brand new pair RETAIL for $400.00.
Should I just get painted and buy Stainless later and intall them myself?

Schiada76
10-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Do they bolt them or weld them?
Tell 'em to give you a better deal, the labor is the same and they should credit the painted fenders.

socalmoney
10-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Should I paint the trailer Brown or Orange?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7935DSCN1304.JPG

RitcheyRch
10-03-2006, 03:21 PM
SS sure look nice.

Nord
10-03-2006, 03:28 PM
How much to rebuild what you have???

spectras only
10-03-2006, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=socalmoney]Should I paint the trailer Brown or Orange?
Had the trailer colour match the trim ,when restoring it last year . Looks way better than the beige it was painted originally .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/spectra%2019%20OK%20Falls

socalmoney
10-03-2006, 03:34 PM
How much to rebuild what you have???
From Kustom Trailer in Rancho Cucamunga
Sandblast & Paint $1550.00
Carpeted Bunks & Fender Pads $ 475.00T
Convert to Disc Brakes $ 425.00T
UFP Coupler $ 235.00T
SS Fenders ? $ 595.00T
LED Lights & Wire ? $ 300.00T
Swing Up Jack $ 75.00T
Steps (4) $ 140.00T
Service Axle $ 110.00
Bow Stand & Winch $ 275.00
R & R Coupler $ 170.00
Labor Fender & Steps $ 250.00
Sales Tax $ 173.99
Total $ 4773.99

GoCiggie31
10-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Yes, I agree. If it is 650.00 for both it is a deal-you will not regret it.
orange with stainless will make that package POP! :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
Step up now, your going to wish you did later

HM
10-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I have had painted, chromed, and stainless. I like the stainless. The $$ sounds high for an upgrade option, but I bought mine 10 years ago. I am converting my tandem axle to a triple axle and will be putting stainless fenders on it....and the only reason is because I like it! Some people don't care about the trailer, but since mine is a trailer queen, the queen needs a throne. :D

termiteguy
10-03-2006, 05:53 PM
i have stainless on my extreme trailor i love them just make sure nobody steps on them and if they just kich there ass!!!!!!!!!! :crossx:

haulina29
10-03-2006, 06:17 PM
That old trailer is not worth putting that kind of money into put a few more dollars with it and get a new trailer .

socalmoney
10-03-2006, 06:24 PM
That old trailer is not worth putting that kind of money into put a few more dollars with it and get a new trailer .
What do I do with my old trailer. Is there a market for them? Do I just drive it to the recycling center?

Nord
10-03-2006, 06:26 PM
I upgraded to stainless and I'm very happy

Nord
10-03-2006, 06:26 PM
What do I do with my old trailer. Is there a market for them? Do I just drive it to the recycling center?
I heard you can have it lifted over at Holiday Marine in BHC!!!!

Riomouse911
10-03-2006, 06:43 PM
I had a period where I had to store a boat outside for a summer, and the shiny fenders reflected sunlight onto the sides of the boat and faded the gel a bit. They also get hot as hell in the parking lot while you're on the water.
We all know painted fenders get chipped and rusty from towing, and I even hit a retread on I-40 that scored the paint like a tiger's claw and ruined a fender big time.
With the new trailer, I pulled my painted fenders off and had them sprayed with black Line-X. Cost less than 60 bucks for both, and is stone and slip proof. (The black/white contrast looks good with the black/grey/white of the boat, too.) You can get them sprayed in a lot of different colors, if plain black wont work.
Just an idea.... :)

Nord
10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
I had a period where I had to store a boat outside for a summer, and the shiny fenders reflected sunlight onto the sides of the boat and faded the gel a bit. They also get hot as hell in the parking lot while you're on the water.
We all know painted fenders get chipped and rusty from towing, and I even hit a retread on I-40 that scored the paint like a tiger's claw and ruined a fender big time.
With the new trailer, I pulled my painted fenders off and had them sprayed with black Line-X. Cost less than 60 bucks for both, and is stone and slip proof. (The black/white contrast looks good with the black/grey/white of the boat, too.) You can get them sprayed in a lot of different colors, if plain black wont work.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea, any pics???

BoatPI
10-03-2006, 07:36 PM
keep in mind that if u want to step on them u will need to place some white 3M non skip tape as they are very slick and HOT!!!

SoCalHD
10-03-2006, 08:20 PM
That's a great idea!! Since I tow my back and forth from the lake, I have considered having the entire trailer done!!LOL

Cs19
10-03-2006, 08:25 PM
if you plan on keeping it for a long time. yes on the ss fenders.
CS

dmontzsta
10-03-2006, 08:28 PM
You have the same hull as my father, same motor too. Is that a V-Drive?
Kustom Trailers does great work. I would definitely do the SS fenders, they look much better than painted.

Riomouse911
10-04-2006, 12:17 AM
I will try to take a few pics of the trailer with the line-x fenders and see if Michelle (my wife, who is MUCH more computer literate than I am) can download them for me :rolleyes: ... Can't beat the cost, and they (so far) have been bulletproof...

JetBoatRich
10-04-2006, 03:54 AM
They look nice and hold up better :cool: like the others have said :rolleyes:

socalmoney
10-04-2006, 05:38 AM
You have the same hull as my father, same motor too. Is that a V-Drive?
My boat is a Jet.

superdave013
10-04-2006, 06:02 AM
From Kustom Trailer in Rancho Cucamunga
Sandblast & Paint $1550.00
Carpeted Bunks & Fender Pads $ 475.00T
Convert to Disc Brakes $ 425.00T
UFP Coupler $ 235.00T
SS Fenders ? $ 595.00T
LED Lights & Wire ? $ 300.00T
Swing Up Jack $ 75.00T
Steps (4) $ 140.00T
Service Axle $ 110.00
Bow Stand & Winch $ 275.00
R & R Coupler $ 170.00
Labor Fender & Steps $ 250.00
Sales Tax $ 173.99
Total $ 4773.99
I rebuilt my compettive trailer for well under half of that. Looks like I did pretty much everything on your list too other then the disk brakes. I rebuilt the drums. It cost me 175.00 to have it sandblasted and a around 250 for the paint supplies. (including the 50.00 cheepO paint gun). I did buck up for the s.s. fenders.
If you go to a trailer supply place like Dayco in Anaheim you will see how cheep most of those parts really are.
That 110.00 dollar axle service is something every trailer owner should know how to do. I mean a guy really should take the hubs apart at least once a season to re-pack the bearings with new greese. That should only cost 5 bucks for seals, maybe another 5 for a tube of greese and some hand cleaner.
And on the plus side there is no way any box tube trailer will last as long at the one you already have.

racecar.hotshoe
10-04-2006, 06:15 AM
get it with no fenders...........And buy ss fenders here for $450. and put them on yourself thats what I did.
http://www.fendersnmore.com/default.htm

HM
10-04-2006, 06:16 AM
I rebuilt my compettive trailer for well under half of that. Looks like I did pretty much everything on your list too other then the disk brakes. I rebuilt the drums. It cost me 175.00 to have it sandblasted and a around 250 for the paint supplies. (including the 50.00 cheepO paint gun). I did buck up for the s.s. fenders.
If you go to a trailer supply place like Dayco in Anaheim you will see how cheep most of those parts really are.
That 110.00 dollar axle service is something every trailer owner should know how to do. I mean a guy really should take the hubs apart at least once a season to re-pack the bearings with new greese. That should only cost 5 bucks for seals, maybe another 5 for a tube of greese and some hand cleaner.
And on the plus side there is no way any box tube trailer will last as long at the one you already have.
Where did you take your trailer to be sandblasted?

socalmoney
10-04-2006, 07:42 AM
I have given a lot of thought about doing my trailer myself but I just don't know what to do with the boat. Not to mention my trailer would not fit in my garage and the city would scream at me for having it out in the front of my house. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. Why wouldn't a box tube trailer last as long as what I currently have?
get it with no fenders...........And buy ss fenders here for $450. and put them on yourself thats what I did.
http://www.fendersnmore.com/default.htm
Did you bolt them on or weld them on?

Dan Lorenze
10-04-2006, 08:04 AM
My last boat needed a trailer real bad after someone hit me on the 10 in Indio. I ended up getting a Trail-rite "Pacific" that was built like a brick shit house, I paid 3 something with a custom matched color and diamond plate steps.. Trail-rite treated me like a King, also told me that Discs over drums aren't that big of a deal, even though I opted for discs.. I considered Extreme trailers but they're very expensive.. I recently went down to Lavey to look at boats, I was told that they've steered away from Extreme trailers because they're just too damn expensive..
As far as getting rid of your old trailer. I took a Sawsall and cut it into small pieces and junked it and kept the wheels and axle.. You'd be surprised how small the pile of parts was..
Good luck...

superdave013
10-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Why wouldn't a box tube trailer last as long as what I currently have?
because they rust from the inside out.

superdave013
10-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Where did you take your trailer to be sandblasted?
some place in Orange on Glassel St.

socalmoney
10-04-2006, 08:13 AM
some place in Orange on Glassel St.
What did you do with your boat while the trailer was getting redone?

jimslade
10-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Do they bolt them or weld them?
Tell 'em to give you a better deal, the labor is the same and they should credit the painted fenders. You can't weld stainless to regular steel. No they are not worth it. And stainless does sometimes have rust staining eventually.

superdave013
10-04-2006, 08:36 AM
What did you do with your boat while the trailer was getting redone?
set it on some old truck tires.
Another place you might want to call is Wallstrung trailers in Harbor City. Bob over there really helped me out big time with my first boat trailer. He's a really cool guy and it would be worth the call.

robsformula
10-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Everyone thinks that stainless does'nt rust,but indeed it does. It is white rust, it also becomes briddle after time. If you can, go with Aluminum Diamond plate. It also will get white rust over time but will not become briddle like stainless. You can polish it to mirror finish and once that is done and you keep up on the wax (one every 3 month) you should not have any problems with white rust. I have an eagle trailer and changed mine to aluminum they look great and I have had no problems sence. Good luck on making your decision.

Schiada76
10-04-2006, 09:20 AM
You can't weld stainless to regular steel. No they are not worth it. And stainless does sometimes have rust staining eventually.
I meant the painted fenders. If they are bolted he can remove them and bolt on the stainless with no problem. Fenders and more is where I got mine. They gave me a deal for greenbacks when I picked them up,.

superdave013
10-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Everyone thinks that stainless does'nt rust,but indeed it does. It is white rust, it also becomes briddle after time. If you can, go with Aluminum Diamond plate. It also will get white rust over time but will not become briddle like stainless. You can polish it to mirror finish and once that is done and you keep up on the wax (one every 3 month) you should not have any problems with white rust. I have an eagle trailer and changed mine to aluminum they look great and I have had no problems sence. Good luck on making your decision.
But I thought you have to live in Texas to run diamond plate fenders. :D
As far as rust and up keep goes there is no way a polished aluminum fender is less up keep then a 304 stainless one is.

racecar.hotshoe
10-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I have given a lot of thought about doing my trailer myself but I just don't know what to do with the boat. Not to mention my trailer would not fit in my garage and the city would scream at me for having it out in the front of my house. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. Why wouldn't a box tube trailer last as long as what I currently have?
Did you bolt them on or weld them on?
Bolt with ss bolts.

Screemy1
10-04-2006, 09:37 AM
all this talk about trailers...... if it works and looks half way decent.... who cares..... it is just a trailer..... by the way, LED lights are a waste of $$$ it is D/C current for a trailer.... it is not saving anything..... energy, weight, brightness, anything.....

superdave013
10-04-2006, 10:07 AM
all this talk about trailers...... if it works and looks half way decent.... who cares..... it is just a trailer..... by the way, LED lights are a waste of $$$ it is D/C current for a trailer.... it is not saving anything..... energy, weight, brightness, anything.....
But it's not just a trailer, it's part of a total package. Some just want everything tight and right is all.
LED's are much brighter. So if they are easier to see it might keep someone out of the back of the boat. Seems to be worth a little extra to me.

socalmoney
10-04-2006, 10:08 AM
My last boat needed a trailer real bad after someone hit me on the 10 in Indio. I ended up getting a Trail-rite "Pacific" that was built like a brick shit house, I paid 3 something with a custom matched color and diamond plate steps.. Trail-rite treated me like a King, also told me that Discs over drums aren't that big of a deal, even though I opted for discs..
Who did you go through to get your trailer. I called Trail-Rite and they said they don't deal direct unless you buying parts. They said to call Warner Boats in Costa Mesa.

Dan Lorenze
10-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Who did you go through to get your trailer. I called Trail-Rite and they said they don't deal direct unless you buying parts. They said to call Warner Boats in Costa Mesa.
You're right! They made me go through a dealer also, to honor their dealer network.... I bought my trailer through Wallstrong trailers in Wilmington (near Piedro).. I actually dropped my boat off at Trail-rite to have the trailer made and they delivered the finished trailer and boat to Wallstrong trailers. I miss that trailer, it was real nice.. It towed my 21' Mini Day Cruiser 460.....

socalmoney
10-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Here is the break down for a Trail-Rite trailer per Tom at Warner Marine.
$3200 for trailer
$350 to paint
$350 patterning fee for bunks
$68 for extra set of bunks for a total of 4
$78 for floater bar if wench does not fit
Total of $4046 with out SS fenders.
This same trailer from Extreme would be $4500 so there is about $450 savings.

jbtrailerjim
10-04-2006, 11:59 AM
by the way, LED lights are a waste of $$$ it is D/C current for a trailer.... it is not saving anything..... energy, weight, brightness, anything.....
LED lights are not a waste of money. They are brighter, they can take the shock of being monted on a trailer that bounces down the road, and they last for years if they are not damaged.
Most trailers that come into my shop for service, if they have a burnt out marker or tail light, it's a bulb type light not a LED.

BigDogIvan
10-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Just my little input on this.
My trailer has Stainless fenders and have had no problem with rust or keeping them looking good for the 7 years I have had it. As for some one slipping, What the hell are they doing standing on the fenders. I have noticed some fading on the boat where the sun reflects off of the fenders. I will be working on that this winter. As for disc vs drum brakes. GO DISC. I converted my trailer over and it was the best thing I have ever done. The thing stops and doesn't push when stoping like the drums did. I did UFP Disks and Calipers.
Just my .02 bits worth

GoCiggie31
10-04-2006, 12:50 PM
LED lights are not a waste of money. They are brighter, they can take the shock of being monted on a trailer that bounces down the road, and they last for years if they are not damaged.
Most trailers that come into my shop for service, if they have a burnt out marker or tail light, it's a bulb type light not a LED.
another benefit to the LED's in most cases, is that the light illuminates quicker to full power than most regular bulb lights; therefore they are quicker to alert traffic of your intentions, an extra safety factor. :)

YeLLowBoaT
10-04-2006, 01:05 PM
IMO SS fenders look like sh*t, they take away the form the boat. Same with brightly painted trailers. Thats not to say that a trailer should look bad. keep it simple and clean.

GoCiggie31
10-04-2006, 01:29 PM
$4700, humm
just for grins, you may want to price out a brand new trailer with warranty.
FYI, last year I purchased a new triple axle alluminum disc brake 12k cap for much less than $4500.00. :idea:

Dan Lorenze
10-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Josh, I'll dig around for my receipt. I'm not sure I was charged for the custom paint or bunk fee... It doesn't hurt to call Wallstrong and get a quote...

socalmoney
11-07-2006, 03:32 PM
OK. Thanks everyone for your input on the fenders. I went ahead and got the stainless and I am very happy. The trailer is a dream to tow and I want to thank Tony at Extreme for all the help.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3682new_trailer_800.jpg

Havasu1986
11-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Looks better with the SS