PDA

View Full Version : House security systems???

4DAY4PLAY
10-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Anyone have an alarm on there house??? Pros/Cons, worth it or not? monitoring service good to have? Im thinking of getting one for the wife and kids since im gone alot of nights. Any info would help. thanks

YeLLowBoaT
10-03-2006, 09:33 PM
They don't work.
Get ether a dog or a pump shot gun,

eek-a-RAT
10-03-2006, 09:38 PM
i got this from a friend. its worth a try. lol
Subject: SECURITY SYSTEM
Install a wireless security system in four easy steps:
1. Go to a second-hand store, buy a pair of men's used
work boots, a really big pair.
2. Put them outside your front door on top of a copy
of Guns and Ammo magazine.
3. Place the largest dog dish you can find out there
beside those items.
4. Leave a note on your front door that says something
like:
"Bubba - use your key. Big Mike and me we went to get
more ammo and pick up Cletus. Back in 15 min. Don't
disturb the Pit Bulls, they just been wormed."

acatitude
10-03-2006, 09:40 PM
can you say rotweiler

4DAY4PLAY
10-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I know a big dog is the best form of security, but we just had a baby last week, and dont have time to train a dog, and also worried about it around the little one. We have a small dog that barks, but wouldnt do much damage. Just curious about the alarms that are "free" as long as you subscribe for 2 years to the monitoring service.

wildbillg
10-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Heres where you need to shop
Alarms and more (fake em out) (http://www.security2020.com/security_signs_decals.htm)
Just put out some decals and most often it scares em off.....

deltaAce
10-03-2006, 09:48 PM
beside those items.
like:
Thats a very nice alternative to a high price system.http://usera.imagecave.com/lakelover/lol.gif

YeLLowBoaT
10-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I would rather say USMC-12.
There is something about a fully automatic shot gun that just screems "bye- bye"
link, with short video (http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/military_photos_2005620.asp)

Outnumbered
10-03-2006, 11:38 PM
They do work.
I have had a Brinks system for 15 years in 3 houses. Never had a false alarm that was not our fault. I have all windows and doors hardwired, motions in all areas, and heat/smoke sensors.
Last false went like this: Wife and I bail to work and go shoping. About 30 minutes after we left the house I get calls from 1) Brinks 2) my parents 3) wife's parents 4) wife. Turns out one of us did not pull the garage man-door shut all the way when we left. Door blew open when AC kicked on. Alarm goes off. Brinks calls us and family call list, then police. Police are at the house in 10 minutes. Wife goes back meets the cops. They clear the house and we're all good.
This same thing happened about 5 years ago with my front door. Now if we did not have the alarm, door would have sat open ALL DAY.
Now you do have to protect your outgoing phone lines so they can't cut them and you also have to be smart not to false too much otherwise the city can charge you. Cops were cool both times and we had no charges.
For $23 per month I could not live without it. Just the fact that the fire department will be notified of a fire if I'm not there is worth it (this happened once too so we know it works :) Remodel crew set it off :rolleyes: )
We also get an insurance discount so I bet the cost is a wash.
I would recommend Brinks. They have been good.

rivrbrat
10-04-2006, 04:12 AM
So when your gone out of town and the wife has to run to the pharmacy in the middle of the night, what part of the alarm system should she take with her?
Rottweiler or two, been protecting all of my family for over 20 years move after move, and you dont have to have it re-installed in your new location.

Chipster27
10-04-2006, 05:00 AM
Rottweiler or two, been protecting all of my family for over 20 years move after move, and you dont have to have it re-installed in your new location.
And a little tainted meat will defeat the dog any day of the week. What part of the alarm system blows a circuit in it's brain and bites a child's face. Not saying your dogs have done it, but it happens.
Mace or pepper spray would be a better choice for personal protection.
4day4play PM me and I'll try to help you out.
Home alarms do work. Like the call I got one night in the middle of the desert that my home alarm went off. Dogs were with me, not at the house. Cops came and found my front door open and one of my cars had been ransacked. First alarm signal on front door, then living room motion. Probably kids, but none the less the alarm scared them off and the cops came.
How about the monitored smoke detector. I'm more concerned about a fire than a break in. Smoke goes off, fire department is called, whether I'm home or not.
For less than $20 a month it's a deal.

Jbb
10-04-2006, 05:06 AM
Alarms do work...I had one wired when I built the house ...covers perimeter plus infareds, heat/smoke both in my house and garage ,monitoring cost $53 per qtr....never a false alarm that we didnt cause
I also have two dogs......and a couple of shotguns......and a sign behind the rear door of my shop that simply says....."If you're found here tonight.....You'll be found here tomorrow"...

Chipster27
10-04-2006, 05:06 AM
They do work.
Now you do have to protect your outgoing phone lines so they can't cut them
If you're concerned about phone lines go with radio or internet (depending if you have DSL or cable) back up, from $4-$8 a month and probably a couple hundred to install.

a catered life
10-04-2006, 06:44 AM
congrats on the new addition to the family :p
now ask your self this... what kind of neighborhood do you live in? is it a high crime area? has there been serious crimes around you? and if your family is really in danger will a alarm system really do something if the help arrives 10-20 minutes later? I dont want to offend you but crime is everywhere a dog may deter criminals and a gun makes you feel like a real man (i guess) but teaching your family good security skills like always locking doors and windows will go a lot father.......get the alarm if it makes the family feel safer but remember its only a machine.....i have nothing aganist guns but lets be serious........how many guys have really had a need for one (home) and have really pulled it to use :)

Outnumbered
10-04-2006, 06:54 AM
So when your gone out of town and the wife has to run to the pharmacy in the middle of the night, what part of the alarm system should she take with her?
Glock 27 :crossx:

MR HARLEY
10-04-2006, 07:14 AM
My 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun and my 2 soon to be Protection trained Gargoyle pups.
Here is their father in action during protection training.
http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Omen2/IMAG0025.JPG
http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Omen2/IMAG0015.JPG
http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Omen2/IMAG0016.JPG

Outnumbered
10-04-2006, 07:30 AM
My 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun and my 2 soon to be Protection trained Gargoyle pups.
Here is their father in action during protection training.
http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Omen2/IMAG0025.JPG
No thanks. Say goodbye to your nice back yard and buy a few good shit shovels. I'll stick with the quality alarm system :argue: I've seen many yards with Rots in the back and I have yet to see one that is nice and doesn't smell like shit. :220v:

HocusPocus
10-04-2006, 07:33 AM
i never saw the need to have an alarm at home, we have good neighbors who watch out for our place and we watch out for theirs, been in this house for 10 years never had a problem. my mom had one installed in her place years ago, in the first week it went off twice in the middle of the night and scared her so bad she had it removed.

Tequila-John
10-04-2006, 07:38 AM
No thanks. Say goodbye to your nice back yard and buy a few good shit shovels. I'll stick with the quality alarm system :argue: I've seen many yards with Rots in the back and I have yet to see one that is nice and doesn't smell like shit. :220v:
Funny bud! I have a Rott she dont smell like shit. Plus my backyard is fine. This is how bad wraps start. She looks pretty mean HUH?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2013sasha2.JPG

Arkansas
10-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Get the alarm!! I have a 17 month old child and a great wife that I want protected. Not fail proof but better than none at all. Most burglaries happen between 8am and 5pm when we are supposedly at work. If they break in and steal my stuff...I can live with that but what scares me the most is a criminal "lying in wait" in my home in a closet or upstairs......To me that is what brings the most value to an alarm system. If that SOB is crazy enough to stay in my house for 8 minutes while the alarm goes off and the police inspect the perimter of the house at least I have been informed that It went off and can search every square inch of the house before lying down for a peaceful nights sleep....

MR HARLEY
10-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Rotts! Thats not a Rottweiler, :D and obviously you havent been to my backyard yet. :)
1. It doesn't smell like shit, more like roses.
2. My backyard is always in nice condition. (Thats what I pay my gardner for)

Not So Fast
10-04-2006, 07:58 AM
beside those items.
like:
Thats funny!!!!! Two neighbors have alarms and one is just an annoying loud noise that doesnt do crap, nobody even looks, there other is alarm system to a monitored response who then calls police and they are there every time. NSF

Ultra5150
10-04-2006, 08:24 AM
You guys should check out a show on A&E called To Catch a Theif. The premise is, two life long burglars have grown up and set up their own security consulting business. They break into peoples houses like it was nothing, dog or not. they said that they want a quick in and out, they ransack the houses in less than 15 minutes. They said that they will not bother on a house with an alarm, there were too many other easy targets that they could get into without having to mess with the system. They would watch peoples schedules, when they were home and when they left, their main mode of entry was always an open window or a flimsy backdoor. They also chose homes with a lot of shrubbery that blocked the windows.
Like someone said earlier, locked windows and doors, sturdy locks with deadbolts and a good system should provide you with adequate security. A system is only good if you turn it on.

4DAY4PLAY
10-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all of the advice....This is more for peace of mind at night for my wife and kids when im gone. We live in a really safe neighborhood, and havent had 1 problem in 5 years that weve been here. There just all females, and well, get scared with every noise. Ive gotten several estimates, the best of which is a Honeywell system, with 2 talking control panels, motion detector, and enough sensors(10) to fit all my downstairs openings. Its $250 installed, and then the monitoring service is $32 month...sounds reasonable to me...Anyone in the security sales business that wants to match or beat the price?

Chipster27
10-04-2006, 09:44 AM
.Anyone in the security sales business that wants to match or beat the price?
PM me. I'm the General Manager for HSM formerly Honeywell Security Monitoring for LA and OC. I have 20 years with Honeywell and started as an installer and have worked my way to General Manager. I know the industry and can help you avoid some issues you might not be aware of. www.hsmsecurity.com
I won't even bother with the sales pitch, just want to help you make an educated decision.
Couple comments on everyone's feedback.
Good neighborhood or not they will find you. I live in a neighborhood with million dollar homes (yea not much home in OC:)) but they still came to my house. They saw my toyhauler in front of the house on a 4 day weekend and knew I wouldn't be back.
Gated communities are a joke. Most of the problems come from the kids in the community.
The experts can get it. Period. You're really just keeping the kids/riff-raff away.
Neighbors can watch your house, but most resi breakins happen in the middle of the night. Are your neighbors watching your house at 2am?
Dogs, I have 2 and they are good when I'm home. Give me 1 week with the average dog and I can build their trust in a matter of days. Come the day I break in your dog won't even bother me.

Ultra5150
10-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all of the advice....This is more for peace of mind at night for my wife and kids when im gone. We live in a really safe neighborhood, and havent had 1 problem in 5 years that weve been here. There just all females, and well, get scared with every noise. Ive gotten several estimates, the best of which is a Honeywell system, with 2 talking control panels, motion detector, and enough sensors(10) to fit all my downstairs openings. Its $250 installed, and then the monitoring service is $32 month...sounds reasonable to me...Anyone in the security sales business that wants to match or beat the price?
That sounds about right, I price compared before I got mine. If it is the Simon 3 system, it is awsome.

Aluminum Squirt
10-04-2006, 10:28 AM
I don't want to take anything away from alarms because they do frequently bring the police, fire or a neighbor. They also offer piece of mind which is frequently what the wife/kids want, not to mention the insurance discount. I just wanted to interject a few pieces of information for those of you considering the installation of an alarm. The police will be there......but they'll be there when they get there. I have responded to a few hundred alarm calls when I was on patrol, maybe 5 of them were actual burglaries. I sometimes made it in 5-10 minutes when it wasn't busy and I was around the corner, other times I made it there in 30-90 minutes. A ringing panic alarm gets a little higher priority but sometimes the response time can be lengthy. I work in a busy, high crime city so if there a shooting going on, obviously we're not coming to your alrm any time soon. If you live in San Marnio for example, you will probably have a cop there in a few minutes as there probably isn't much else going on. The cranksters, rock heads, and common thieves are going to be in and out in a minute or two and they are going to take stupid stuff like TV's, computers, etc, stuff they can fence real quick for some more dope. These people generally cause more dollars in property damage getting in than the stuff they steal is worth. Professionals who taget you and are after high dollar items can't be stopped if they decide you are they're target. That's not to say that deterance isn't a factor, if they find a softer house they'll hit that, but if they target you for something, they're gonna do it. The trick here is not to make your house burglary proof, its to make it more burglary proof than those around you.
My advise is good lighting, alarm stickers, alarms, dogs, good neighbors, leaving lights on, good door locks (most common entry point......side garage door, put a dead bolt on it and reinforce the frame. I hope some POS tries to kick my side door down someday, he'll break his leg :boxed: ), locking up religiously, and putting valuables in a safe (especially guns/cash/jewelry). Another good way to help the police after a burglary is to have your driver's license # engraved on your tools, electronics, high $ items etc. When i jam up some dirt bag on the street with a nice tool, he and I both know its not his, but I can't prove any type of ownership if there was no report made with a serial number or maybe they have inscribed they're DL# on it (no victim, no crime). Another thing I like to do is take digital pictures of things. Close ups of serial numbers, guns, jewlery, overall room pictures, etc. Burn those photos onto two disks, put one in your safe and give the other one to a trusted friend/relative, that way you can see what was there before your house got ransacked and if it burns to the ground you have a back-up disk available at somebody else's house.
OK, sorry, the crime prevention speach is over-Aluminum Squirt

jbtrailerjim
10-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Anyone who thinks alarms don't work, I'll tell you my recent experience.
A couple of months ago, my wife was off work and home with my two sons (ages 3 & 5). They left to go run a quick errand. They returned about an hour or so later. When she came home our alarm was going off. My wife figured it was just a false alarm (we've had them before) and she walked in the house through the garage and turned the alarm off. She looked around and everything appeared fine. She walks in the kitchen and my son walked into the bathroom and comes back out and says "Mom The Screen Is Off The Bathroom Window". She had left that window open and a couple windows in the kitchen open. She then calmly but quickly told the boy's come on lets go outside. They went in the garage, jumped in her car, she locked the doors, pulled out of the garage and called 911. She then called me and I rushed home. Nothing was taken from the house but we figured out when the burglar came in through the window he walked out of the bathroom and a motion sensor set the alarm off. When she talked to the alarm company, they told her what time the alarm was triggered. IT WAS ABOUT 5 MINUTES BEFORE SHE CAME HOME! Had we not had an alarm she and my kids would have more than likely walked in on a burglar or burglars!
So, anyone who wants to sit there and say alarms don't work are full of shit. I for one will NEVER live in a house without an alarm.
BTW...I have 2 dogs. A lab and a Great Dane. They slept through all of this. :rolleyes:

Chipster27
10-04-2006, 10:38 AM
My advise is good lighting, alarm stickers, alarms, dogs, good neighbors, leaving lights on, good door locks (most common entry point......side garage door, put a dead bolt on it and reinforce the frame.
OK, sorry, the crime prevention speach is over-Aluminum Squirt
I agree. The funny part about my personal experience is I have a fully landscaped yard with Malibu lights that stay on all night, signs and stickers on my doors and windows and the idiots still came through my front door! I even have a light illuminating my yard sign that says I have an alarm!!! They saw me load my toyhauler on a 4 day weekend, knew I was going to be out of town and took the opportunity. The scary part, and the one that concerns me the most is, what if it had been a boy's weekend in the desert and my wife had been home alone with no alarm. Pretty scary to wake up to someone in your house, I don't care what gender you are.
Bottom line, use common sense. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity.
When being chased by a bear, you don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster then the guy you're running next to :)
Make your house harder to get in to the the one next to you....same idea.

Powerquestboy
10-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Personally I have Glock .40 for home protection, However I sleep like a rock. I have kids at the house all the time so my gun is in a safe. I'm going to have my alarm hooked up simply to alert me and give me time to get my gun. Thats all I want it for. If I'm out of town and it gets someone out of my house great, if not I dont care what they take. A lot of people say alarms wont stop a thief from getting your stuff and I agree but thats not the point, I dont care about the stuff. Like others have said if it scared them away great, if it got them off your property quickly and they didnt have a run with your family even better. I could care less if it deters someone as long as it alerts me that someone is in the house. Guns, alarms, dogs are all great but nothing is fool proof its just a matter of bettering your odds.

uvindex
10-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Yes, dogs are great and guns are great (I have both). I also have a home security system and would never not have one. :)
One benefit I haven't seen mentioned is the nice feeling of coming home to a dark house that, by virtue of the fact that the system is armed, lets you know nobody is lurking in your house and also that your house wasn't broken into while you were away. That's a biggie to me.

me4drvr
10-04-2006, 01:08 PM
We use protection one at our office and at my house, the big seller is the cell phone link. If a dirt bag cuts the phone lines, the alarm is a useless noise machine. I've only had 1 false alarm and if I accidently trip it, they are calling my phone within 10-15 seconds. They won't send LE unless I ask them to, or trip the false password. Don't be fooled by a "phone box trigger", 1st they are not up to code and just means the company/sales person doesn't know sh!t.

AirtimeLavey
10-04-2006, 01:32 PM
You guys should check out a show on A&E called To Catch a Theif. The premise is, two life long burglars have grown up and set up their own security consulting business. They break into peoples houses like it was nothing, dog or not. they said that they want a quick in and out, they ransack the houses in less than 15 minutes. They said that they will not bother on a house with an alarm, there were too many other easy targets that they could get into without having to mess with the system. They would watch peoples schedules, when they were home and when they left, their main mode of entry was always an open window or a flimsy backdoor. They also chose homes with a lot of shrubbery that blocked the windows.
Like someone said earlier, locked windows and doors, sturdy locks with deadbolts and a good system should provide you with adequate security. A system is only good if you turn it on.
This is good info. I worked in the industry for over 10 years, running my own installation company for over 8. I can give you LOTS of stories about how well alarm systems work, when used properly and in conjunction with other security minded things done around the home - lighting, light timers, locks, obstructions, etc. You do want to use the yard signs and decals, they're probably the most effective deterrent. And, if you get a system, USE it. Nothing worse than when someone stops using it, then gets popped.
Good installation is key to preventing false alarm headaches. Doors and windows should be able to rattle (if they do) without triggering alarm. You don't want the wind to trigger your alarm. If you have motion detectors, which is ideal, then make sure they (the motion det.) don't see anything you have hanging (decorations), or anything else that might move w/the A/C or heater air movements, or pets. Keep the corners clear of spiders if the detectors are in the corners.
Get alarm screens for the windows, if you can afford them. Stops the intruder before they even get to the window, and allows you to sleep w/the windows open, if you like that.
Monitoring is great, esp. if you travel alot. They can call the fire dept. if you have fire, before neighbors notice, and let you know or someone close know if you've had a door or window knocked out in a burg. attempt. Get fire devices w/your system. Also, a system will get you a discount on your homeowners insurance.
I am no longer in that business, but would be more than happy to answer any questions you have. PM me for more info. Good luck. :cool:

AirtimeLavey
10-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Also, about monitoring, it's a good thing, but rarely catches the burgs. Alarm calls are low priority for the PD. It's the noise and commotion (lights can be wired to come on) that scare the intruder away, long before PD arrives. If you or a family member pushes the "panic" button, however, that becomes a priority and is taken very serious. That's a good thing, if your family is home without you a lot.