PDA

View Full Version : These Reality Shows Are Killing Me...

Pussywhippled
10-04-2006, 10:42 AM
As if running you own business is hard enough but why is it that customers are thinking that all businesses are like Orange County Choppers, or even the new show, Flip That House. Where they can dictate the price they want to pay, demand the highest quality product, and the "I want it now or else I'll go some where else" mentality.
Orange County Choppers: On the show they make it look like all of bikes are
built in a day or two. Just overnight all of the parts in and do some overtime, walla it's done.
Let's see, can a normal small business make money if you overnight everything in you just work your guys alot of overtime to get it done?
Flip That House: On this show these people are total users and treat the
contractors/workers horrible. They grind them on pricing & deadlines and still end up sticking it in dry. "Oh look I just made $85k on my two week investment". Next...
If I treated my employees like these people do and started each day off by grinding them on how much I was going to pay them, they would tell me to go F myself. (I'm still unclear if the F off comes before or after they beat the crap out of me.)
Both of these scenerios sound more and more everyday like my customers.
It makes me want to tell my customers "Do you think little elves come in in the middle of the night and make your stuff?"
All I can offer is Price, Quality, & Service. Now pick 2 because your not going to get all 3.
Price & Quality = You'll get it when you get it.
Quality & Service = It's going to cost you.
Service & Price = The quality might suffer, but you'll have it.
Am I the only one with these problems or is it just 15 years of owning the same business getting to me.
Sorry about my rant.

centerhill condor
10-04-2006, 11:56 AM
a little of column "A" and a little of column "B"...hang in there its already Wed!

C-2
10-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Yup,
NOW
NOW
NOW
I work as a PI and can't believe how many attorneys call - and need an asset or background investigation, or need to find somebody - NOW.
NOW NOW NOW. CAN YOU GET THAT TO ME OVERNIGHT?
You want it NOW?
Then you're gonna pay for NOW, and pay big for for NOW, cuz the guy before you, and the guy before him called and needed something YESTERDAY. You know how much YESTERDAY costs?
At least working for yourself, you have some control over who to accept assignments from, and how much you ding em' for.
Fawk, we all need to open up boat part shops.
:rollside: :cry: :rollside: :cry: :rollside:

Howie Feltersnatch
10-04-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm a software developer and have been either been self employed or a company owner for the past 15 years. I get the same thing all the time. I tell all my clients the same thing:
Nothing is impossible and nothing is free. All it takes is time and money. The more you want the more it costs. If you start with a realistic baseline of time and money, you can decrease the amount of time required to complete the task by increasing the amount of money you spend. You cannot however, decrease the amount of money you spend by increasing the timeline.
Live with that or see ya later. People who can't grasp those simple concepts get to see me do my impression of the Heisman Trophy as I head for the door.

SHOTKALLIN
10-04-2006, 01:42 PM
I am addicted to watching flip that house. I would like to flip one when the market gets better. Its funny seing these people go way over budget pimping out a house that they will never live in. Stupid. Travertine everywhere....in a long beach condo. Idiot you could have saved 20k buy using a nice tile.

RitcheyRch
10-04-2006, 04:12 PM
We like that show as well.
I am addicted to watching flip that house. I would like to flip one when the market gets better. Its funny seing these people go way over budget pimping out a house that they will never live in. Stupid. Travertine everywhere....in a long beach condo. Idiot you could have saved 20k buy using a nice tile.

cdog
10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
As a realtor I worry about how many homes have had a half assed remodel over the last couple of years. Those shows are jokes and the people are in experienced motivated by nothing but greed.
I'd hate to buy a home remodeled by a teacher and a laid off burger king manager. Some people should just stick to what they know and pay for things to be done correctly.

Mandelon
10-04-2006, 06:01 PM
As a realtor I worry about how many homes have had a half assed remodel over the last couple of years. Those shows are jokes and the people are in experienced motivated by nothing but greed.
I'd hate to buy a home remodeled by a teacher and a laid off burger king manager. Some people should just stick to what they know and pay for things to be done correctly.
Amen to that.

YeLLowBoaT
10-04-2006, 06:12 PM
No I like ppl like that...That way I get to charge them tripple to fix what they fooked up. Have you also noticed that very few of the house they do are in CA... I always love when clients ask how long is it going to take...When I am done, is when it will be done. Putting presure on me to get things done faster is only going to result in one of two things: crappy work or I'll actaully work slower.
oh yeah and if your paying for all materails( normally how I work...) I'm going to go to the place with the highest prices.