PDA

View Full Version : Boat wax

johnny8052
10-04-2006, 06:29 PM
I am putting the boat away for the winter and I want to know what is the best type of paste/gel wax out there ....(not detail spray)..any suggestions would be helpful...thanks

talbert450r
10-04-2006, 06:39 PM
I prefer Zymol
http://www.zymol.com/marina2.htm

BigDoug
10-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Johnny, i have a special wax made for me and my customers out here in Havasu, you can ask them how well it looks and how well it holds up to the riggers of our water, im sure someone will chime in (i hope) if you like i can pm you about it ?
Here is a tip for you hot boaters, a quality wax will be yellow in color ie. Meguirs gold class, driven, waxing frenzy, just a few examples.
If you see a wax colored blue or pink its junk and cheap, for just a few bucks more you'll get a quality wax thats easy to put on and easy to take off and out shines and lasts longer than the cheap stuff.
All this info is straight from my chemist who makes our wax 100% pure carnuba from the (blank) islands. (secret) lol
I hope this helps you in your decision making ? let me know !! :)

Jyruiz
10-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Here is what I use on all our cars, I have yet to use it on the boat though.
Zaino Brothers (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc)
I have use several waxes over the years detailing mine and my family and friends cars, and nothing has worked as well as Zaino Brothers.

beaverretriever
10-04-2006, 08:02 PM
I use Mequires Gold and most of the 3M products. Anyone who has seen anything I own knows how perfect they look all the time. Everything I have looks like its ready for a car or boat show...LOL :)

98 Vector 21
10-04-2006, 08:04 PM
I have use several waxes over the years detailing mine and my family and friends cars, and nothing has worked as well as Zaino Brothers.
I have heard of that from a buddy that swears by it...

BigDoug
10-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Alot of corvette clubs among others use Zaino, another good product !! :)

Havasubum
10-04-2006, 09:10 PM
i use the same stuff works awesome especially on a black car.

Jyruiz
10-04-2006, 09:13 PM
I have heard of that from a buddy that swears by it...
Try it, it can be applied in direct sunlight and last longer than any other wax I have ever used.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-04-2006, 09:31 PM
50% Meguires minute spray wax and 50% turtle wax liquid, mix together, awsum results, super easy to put on and take off.

Classic Daycruiser
10-04-2006, 10:15 PM
How about good old reliable 3m marine wax....Who really makes a better product??? I know 3m is expensive....but worth every extra dollar.
TIP: Wax your boat more than once every summer

BigDoug
10-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Why would you mix 2 waxes together ?......................sounds like your unhappy with both but need to put them together to make it work, you would think one would be good enough eh ? :)

Huckleberry
10-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Meguires Flagship or Driven are the only ones I've ever used. Makes it so slick ya gotta be careful walking on the deck or you'll slide right off. I know as I did it once while being towed by XTRM22. Slid right off the deck of my Lavey like a sea lion performing at Sea World. :rollside:

dicudmore
10-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Why would you mix 2 waxes together ?......................sounds like your unhappy with both but need to put them together to make it work, you would think one would be good enough eh ? :)
I wouldn't know...I pay somebody to wax my boat

BigDoug
10-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Pay up sucka............................................s orry Dan, that was for Mark :)

SOCALDETAIL1
10-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Pay up sucka............................................s orry Dan, that was for Mark :)
Who Me??????????? Dougs right. I apply both Teflon and Carnuba, Teflon lasts longer but Carnuba is a better more pure wax. The only stuff from 3M i use is their compounds I don't really care for their marine line. Zaino is good but in my opinion does not last long from what I have noticed. I get alot of waxes sent to me to demo, and just a word of advise anything on the counter is crap. Go to a wax shop or distributor and have them sell you some 100% pure carnuba wax, you will not be disapointed. Mark

RitcheyRch
10-05-2006, 04:04 AM
I like Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.
http://www.ocdgarage.com/co845inwax.html

Jbb
10-05-2006, 04:22 AM
I use Dri Wash N Guard......I have for years....no build up,no streaks or yellowing.....great shine...and protection....however ....it's not yellow... :p
Contact Magic 34 on the boards ...he can fill you in...
DWG (http://www.driwashsolutions.com/)

BigDoug
10-05-2006, 05:42 AM
I just ordered some collinite and love it, the intended use for this wax is incredible and is easy to use....................good stuff. :)

RitcheyRch
10-05-2006, 06:09 AM
I like the fact that it doesnt stain the black trim. I even put it on my windshield wipers. You know when you wash your wipers it always removes some black crap. Well, after using Collinite on them that doesnt happen.
I just ordered some collinite and love it, the intended use for this wax is incredible and is easy to use....................good stuff. :)

Jyruiz
10-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Who Me??????????? Dougs right. I apply both Teflon and Carnuba, Teflon lasts longer but Carnuba is a better more pure wax. The only stuff from 3M i use is their compounds I don't really care for their marine line. Zaino is good but in my opinion does not last long from what I have noticed. I get alot of waxes sent to me to demo, and just a word of advise anything on the counter is crap. Go to a wax shop or distributor and have them sell you some 100% pure carnuba wax, you will not be disapointed. Mark
If you use there soap, it won't take off any of the wax. Also, you have to use ZFX with it for best results. I have used it with ZFX and with out and the ZFX makes a big difference. You are in the bizz though, so I am sure you have use a lot more stuff than I have and would love to try some of the stuff you use.

jbtrailerjim
10-05-2006, 07:28 AM
I use Driven (http://www.driventoperfection.com/). Good stuff. :cool:

Zaairman
10-05-2006, 07:37 AM
I bought the Meguiar's Fiberglass Restoration Kit, and I love the wax (#56) and polish (#45)

Daytona19
10-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I like Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.
http://www.ocdgarage.com/co845inwax.html
Im with you on this one. LOVE the 845 collinites..

HM
10-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Driven products are great. I was only using Eagle One until I tried Driven. Thier spray detail is awesom and works well on polished aluminum. Works well on everything.
On a side not, I accidentally found the best water spot remover. vinegar in a 10% in distilled water. I found out by accident because my wife went to buy vinegar and didn't realize she bought a 10% solution. I am used to just making a 25% solution of vinegar and tap water, so I give it a try. Holy crap if it wasn't the best thing ever. We have almost 2 seasons of water spots on our mastercraft (relatives use it and never wipe it down) - it was so bad that I thought I was going to have to buff the boat out. I did one application and removed ALL the water spots. I then got lazy and just used the Driven spray detailer and the boat is so f'ng shiney, it is ridiculous. The boat is a '97 and looks brand spankin' new.
I am guessing that the distilled water is the super performance enhancer since it has no minerals, so any minerals loosened up by the vinegar go instantly into solution in the water since there are none there to start.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Maguires Flagship here.

HammerDown
10-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Maguires Flagship here.
Flagship is ok until it washes away.
But Maguiars M21 seems to last and last, forget about walking on it...slick as ice!

RitcheyRch
10-05-2006, 06:10 PM
A little goes a long way with it too.
Im with you on this one. LOVE the 845 collinites..