PDA

View Full Version : With all the "I'm thinking about" threads

roostwear
10-05-2006, 08:52 AM
lately, I have one of my own. I've been thinking about selling the roadster, Mustang, and the Stevens to finance a build.
I have access to this year and model... http://www.motorbase.com/pictures/contributions/20000405/std_74Mercedes-Benz-350SL.jpg
and want to build something unusual and over the top. Since it's smog exempt, I can build a few HP into it. I can't decide on a twin turbo, or blown and injected v8. It would be tubbed, raked, and shaved, but keeping it with a stock/modified appearance.
Any preference on drivetrain and components?

Big Kahunaa
10-05-2006, 09:01 AM
don't do it i just had one of thoes in the shop they are a pian to work on and good luck on finding the small parts for it

roostwear
10-05-2006, 09:12 AM
The car is original and complete. I'm not really going to keep much of the original drivetrain, just suspension and interior. The sheetmetal would be EXTREMELY worked over to get rid of the BFU ribs above the rocker and getting rid of the body side mouldings and filling the bumpers. Even the interior will be re-stitched black leather (instead of the original tan). Can't even guarantee the grill will escape untouched.

Big Kahunaa
10-05-2006, 09:23 AM
it would be very different but is your mustang a fastback i think that the mustang would hold value better

roostwear
10-05-2006, 09:52 AM
It has appreciated in value quite well. Not too many original BB GT fastbacks left around. I just have an itch to build something radical, and I can see it would be extremely pricey.

superdave013
10-05-2006, 10:05 AM
don't sell that stang Roost!

roostwear
10-05-2006, 10:11 AM
We're going to start building the house in Bullhead soon, and frankly, I'm outa room (and money), so I would have to finance this build by selling off a few toys. I don't know how much I could get for the roadster alone, but it won't be enough to build what I'm thinking about.

roostwear
10-05-2006, 11:13 AM
My first thought for a powerplant was the new hemi... ties in to the whole Daimler-Chrysler thing. I don't know if any blower kits are available for them yet, but I sure don't like the idea (and cost) of building a 392 or 426 for it. A short wheelbase car like this will be a handful to drive, but I'm used to it with the roadster, so why not. I'll have to do some measuring to see if I can keep the IRS, or if I need to go narrowed 9" to tub it.