PDA

View Full Version : Picture of my outdrive plug...should I be worried?

VanDeano
10-10-2006, 01:21 AM
This is a picture of the upper plug on my Bravo 1
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/786Picture_211_edited-med.jpg

RiverOtter
10-10-2006, 04:00 AM
:idea: Looks a little hairy

jbone
10-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Looks like the Billy Idol plug. :D
J

Infomaniac
10-10-2006, 04:36 AM
Looks typical to me.

Sigus
10-10-2006, 05:27 AM
remove the top bearing cap, if you have spalling on the races you should consider rebuilding.
How many hours are on the drive and how much HP?

racecar.hotshoe
10-10-2006, 05:31 AM
J
"Eyes without a face" :)

BADBLOWN572
10-10-2006, 05:35 AM
Having a little bit of shavings is pretty typical. If the drive is newer, it will "wear in" to a groove. Having a little bit is always pretty typical. If the chunks are pretty big, you might want to have it changed.
How long was it since the last oil change? What type of power are you running? What type of drive (XR, X, Std)?

a catered life
10-10-2006, 06:21 AM
yes worry and worry a lot :cry:

wsuwrhr
10-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Nice,
Typical ey?
I don't own an outdrive, but yes I would be worried. A machine is a machine. That much metal usually means something is giving up.
If your boating season is almost over, I would have the drive gone through.
Brian

JetBoatRich
10-10-2006, 07:05 AM
looks like the plug is doing a good job :rolleyes: grabbing what it can of the loose metal :cool: like it was designed :cool:

phebus
10-10-2006, 07:10 AM
You said in your other post, that your drive had been rebuilt. If so, some of the shavings may have remained in the case, and some shavings are normal with wear.
I personally wouldn't be worried.

BadKachina
10-10-2006, 07:23 AM
It's not uncommom to see that on a drain plug. I would be more worried if your gear lube was a solid metalic color or if you had any water in it when you drained it.

BiggusJimbus
10-10-2006, 07:26 AM
J
It's a nice day to.... Start Again

Dave C
10-10-2006, 07:38 AM
you need to change the oil and look at it carefully. Don't worry unless the oil runs out with a nice metal shine to it :rollside:
I had the same problem. I talked to a merc rep and this is typical.
Evidently the way the gears are manufactured causes the outside portion of the gear to be brittle and it flakes off.
Good reason to change the oil often IMHO

Tom Brown
10-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Evidently the way the gears are manufactured causes the outside portion of the gear to be brittle and it flakes off.
I've never worked on a bravo but the face of alpha gears aren't machined after casting because they have a pebbly surface that is polished with wear.
Good reason to change the oil often IMHO
Particularly during break in, when casting boogers are wearing off. :cool:

dirty old man
10-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Change & flush

Dave C
10-10-2006, 07:59 AM
another fine Merc product? :mad:
I've never worked on a bravo but the face of alpha gears aren't machined after casting because they have a pebbly surface that is polished with wear.
Particularly during break in, when casting boogers are wearing off. :cool:

SnakeWrench
10-10-2006, 08:05 AM
What you are looking at is fairly typical, but you may wnt to change the oil again in about 25 hrs.
It could be one of two things. One, too many hours between service or a newer rebuild that is breaking in.
I wouldn't worry about it, just flush it and fill it, but change it again in 25 hours and if it looks like that again, have it checked out.

VanDeano
10-11-2006, 05:04 PM
When I bought this boat 2 years ago the outdrive had zero hrs on it and was Rebuilt by Quality Marine in Corona. Since then I put 100 hrs on it and broke it in like Q/M recommended. I have change the oil 3 times since then. The last 2 times have been with Amsol synthetic oil. The first 2 oil changes had the fuzz look on the plug. It was the last oil change that had the metal shavings on it.
The previous owner had shown me the receipts on repairs done by Quality Marine and before the rebuild he already stock almost $1200 in repairs on 2 different occasion. The last bill he had was for the rebuild for over $4,000. That is when he sold it to me. Now that Im the owner Im feeling this drive is a LEMON. I just can't decide whether or not to stick more money into it and just find out to have more problems down the line like the previous owner or just bite the bullet and buy a new outdrive for around $3900 and just see what I can get for this one.

98 Vector 21
10-11-2006, 05:09 PM
What you are looking at is fairly typical, but you may wnt to change the oil again in about 25 hrs.
It could be one of two things. One, too many hours between service or a newer rebuild that is breaking in.
I wouldn't worry about it, just flush it and fill it, but change it again in 25 hours and if it looks like that again, have it checked out.
I would not be to worried, I would add that you clean out the drive ressivor also.... :idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
10-11-2006, 05:28 PM
When I bought this boat 2 years ago the outdrive had zero hrs on it and was Rebuilt by Quality Marine in Corona. Since then I put 100 hrs on it and broke it in like Q/M recommended. I have change the oil 3 times since then. The last 2 times have been with Amsol synthetic oil. The first 2 oil changes had the fuzz look on the plug. It was the last oil change that had the metal shavings on it.
The previous owner had shown me the receipts on repairs done by Quality Marine and before the rebuild he already stock almost $1200 in repairs on 2 different occasion. The last bill he had was for the rebuild for over $4,000. That is when he sold it to me. Now that Im the owner Im feeling this drive is a LEMON. I just can't decide whether or not to stick more money into it and just find out to have more problems down the line like the previous owner or just bite the bullet and buy a new outdrive for around $3900 and just see what I can get for this one.
I don't have a outdrive, but if it has gone from fuzz (which I'd consider normal, especially with a break-in) to these flakes (which seem pretty good sized to me), I'd get concerned, especially after 50 hours of fuzz, then flakes. At least concerned enough to merit a good look inside BEFORE anything lets go. Maybe I'd be overcautious, but something has made it change the size and ammount of steel particulate in the oil, I'd want to know what.

Cheap Thrills
10-11-2006, 05:32 PM
I wouldnt worry about the fuzz/ flakes. when you can roll the chunks between the fingers like ball bearings then it's time for some concern....
C.T. :wink:

Daytona100
10-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I change my drive oil every season and between two different boats and several years boating iv never seen any shavings on the magnet. Looks like the bearings are going away. Check e-bay might be cheaper to get another drive than put more cash into the one you got.

VanDeano
10-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I don't have a outdrive, but if it has gone from fuzz (which I'd consider normal, especially with a break-in) to these flakes (which seem pretty good sized to me), I'd get concerned, especially after 50 hours of fuzz, then flakes. At least concerned enough to merit a good look inside BEFORE anything lets go. Maybe I'd be overcautious, but something has made it change the size and ammount of steel particulate in the oil, I'd want to know what.
I agree, I took off the top cap and everything looks fine and the prop spins freely, but that is about as far as I can go for inspection without sending it out for repairs.

VanDeano
10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
I wouldnt worry about the fuzz/ flakes. when you can roll the chunks between the fingers like ball bearings then it's time for some concern....
C.T. :wink:
I been there before, and friend told me the same thing. He said "this is soft metal" be concern about "hard metal".

VanDeano
10-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I change my drive oil every season and between two different boats and several years boating iv never seen any shavings on the magnet. Looks like the bearings are going away. Check e-bay might be cheaper to get another drive than put more cash into the one you got.
I agree as long as I can find a new one. Some guy was just selling a brand new bottom half on E-Bay that sold for $1,042.00 plus $135.00 for shipping.

socalmoney
10-11-2006, 08:44 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3682billy_drainplug.jpg
Billy says "change your oil with a rebel yell"

VanDeano
10-11-2006, 09:23 PM
LMAO

Some Kind Of Monster
10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Holy crap that's funny!

RitcheyRch
10-12-2006, 04:08 AM
LMAO thats hilarious. Some good photoshopping skills there.