PDA

View Full Version : Small plane just hit a 30 story building in NY!

RiverToysJas
10-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Stay tuned, no word on why yet.....

beaverretriever
10-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Stay tuned, no word on why yet.....
Just heard about it on the radio....SCARRY SHIT.

OnlyMoney
10-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Not the best info on the story but it's at least a link.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15223650/

KreatinKaos
10-11-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm in NYC at work right now ... I'm trying to find out what really happened :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
10-11-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm suprised the news doesn't have it all figured out... after all, the facts haven't stopped them before... :rolleyes:

KreatinKaos
10-11-2006, 11:09 AM
It could have just been an accident though , people do fly byes all the time to show off their small planes to friends :crossx: Well at least my neighbor does :crossx:

topless
10-11-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm suprised the news doesn't have it all figured out... after all, the facts haven't stopped them before... :rolleyes:You're right about that. The MSNBC article even says it happened Thursday. :rolleyes:

Bow Tie Omega
10-11-2006, 11:12 AM
They say it is on 72nd Ave. About 260 ft high, and there is a heli-port very near by. Unconfirmed reports that it is a helicopter according to FOX

Tom Brown
10-11-2006, 11:13 AM
It doesn't look particularly suspicious to me, terrorism wise. It's a terrible accident, to be sure, but it doesn't look like foul play was involved to me. At least, not at this time.

KreatinKaos
10-11-2006, 11:15 AM
One TV station just claimed it was a helicopter ... I would have to guess that a good 40% of the highrises here have helipads on top , and the updraft air currents are vicious around these buildings :crossx:

Bow Tie Omega
10-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Well, FAA just confirmed that transponder was pinging a Fixed wing Buno number. Hhhhmmmmm???????

Chromegorilla
10-11-2006, 11:24 AM
FAA just said they are 100% sure and have identified the plane as a small fixed wing aircraft. Just an accident.

Sleek-Jet
10-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Well, FAA just confirmed that transponder was pinging a Fixed wing Buno number. Hhhhmmmmm???????
A what??? Never heard of a Buno number... :idea:

Chromegorilla
10-11-2006, 11:25 AM
So much for getting the office with a view.... :rolleyes:

Bow Tie Omega
10-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I should have put it in quotes, that is what they said exactly.

topless
10-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Radio here just said possible terrorist attack.

Bow Tie Omega
10-11-2006, 11:30 AM
A buno number is the FAA Registration number, also known as a bureau number. I looked that up on FAA site

MOBrien
10-11-2006, 11:33 AM
of course they did.....along with 1000's of other radio stations that will quickly draw the conclusion themselves.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Me neither.
Just looked it up, BUreau of Aeronautics Number (BuNo) The registry number of all aircraft as issued by FAA. :boxed:

Sleek-Jet
10-11-2006, 11:35 AM
A buno number is the FAA Registration number, also known as a bureau number. I looked that up on FAA site
Never heard it called that... learn something new everyday I guess... we just call them "N" numbers... :idea:

Tom Brown
10-11-2006, 11:37 AM
... we just call them "N" numbers... :idea:
That's odd. We call them "C" numbers. :confused:

Sleek-Jet
10-11-2006, 11:38 AM
That's odd. We call them "C" numbers. :confused:
Yeah, but Canada is all focked up... :D After all, you have Kim Hanson as well.

racecar.hotshoe
10-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Never heard it called that... learn something new everyday I guess... we just call them "N" numbers... :idea:
nora 127 hotel romeo......... :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
10-11-2006, 11:39 AM
nora 127 hotel romeo......... :crossx:
That's just Foxtrot Uniform... :D

SmokinLowriderSS
10-11-2006, 11:40 AM
of course they did.....along with 1000's of other radio stations that will quickly draw the conclusion themselves.
Have no fear, it was ordered by the current administration, to LOOK like an accident, to cover it looking like a terrorist act (very complicated). A select group of VERY smart individuals will see right through the smoke-screen though. :rolleyes:

racecar.hotshoe
Roger.. :rolleyes:

Jbb
Ahh yes......that Hanson fellow.... (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129913)

Tom Brown
10-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Romeo delta sierra uniform xray

Sleek-Jet
10-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Nice... :idea:

Cheap Thrills
10-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm more worried about the Lettuice on my Subway sammich....
C.T. :wink:

MOBrien
10-11-2006, 11:44 AM
oh boy, here we go..... :crossx: I can see this thread causing a spike in microwave popcorn sales real soon. :crossx:

Her454
10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm more worried about the Lettuice on my Subway sammich....
LMAO!

Cheap Thrills
10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
:edit. India Alpha golf romeo echo echo .....
oops too many Golfs :D

KreatinKaos
10-11-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm watching live cam footage now , it doesn't look that bad ... only a bunch of smoke , and you can see what's left ofthe plane on the ground . I'm going to take a walk over there now :crossx:

Her454
10-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm watching live cam footage now , it doesn't look that bad ... only a bunch of smoke , and you can see what's left ofthe plane on the ground . I'm going to take a walk over there now :crossx:
Ahhhhhhhhh, the joys and convenience of the internet. We will be at the crash site in no time at all.

RiverToysJas
10-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh, the joys and convenience of the internet. We will be at the crash site in no time at all.
Yeah, That might take a few minutes, so in the mean time I'll be off Google image searching "nip slips"....... :rollside:
RTJas :D

SmokinLowriderSS
10-11-2006, 12:24 PM
That's enough to screw up any good nation, let alone Canada. :p

boater72
10-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Looks like a New York Yankee Cory Lidle was the pilot.

Riverless
10-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Looks like a New York Yankee Cory Lidle was the pilot.
got this link off the drudge report...
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?verified=1&NNumbertxt=929CD

Jbb
10-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Cirrus SR -20
http://www.ksql.com/images/sr20_small.jpg

JB in so cal
10-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Not that any of this is funny, but nearly every witness FOX has interviewed is an imigrant from some sort of country that requires women to wear sheets on their heads.
It's like the scene is in Beirut...

Debbolas
10-11-2006, 01:46 PM
This is awefull :(

Terminal Velocity
10-11-2006, 01:55 PM
And today is 10/11 :idea: ...mental note NEVER be in New York on the 11th of any month.
RIP to the deceased.

seanv
10-11-2006, 02:01 PM
this just in, ny yankees anounce the cory lidle bobble head will now be made by kingsford...oh ok bad timing :p

XTRM22
10-11-2006, 02:12 PM
this just in, ny yankees anounce the cory lidle bobble head will now be made by kingsford...oh ok bad timing :p
If there was ever any doubt before....you sir are sick and wrong :) :crossx: :)
Chuck

Fire Angler
10-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Yankee Dies in Plane Crash, Official Says
By MARIA NEWMAN and WILLIAM K. RASHBAUM
Published: October 11, 2006
Cory Lidle, a pitcher for the New York Yankees, was killed today when his small private plane crashed into a residential high-rise building on New York City’s Upper East Side, igniting several apartments before pieces of the aircraft crashed to the ground, a high-ranking city official confirmed late this afternoon.
The aircraft struck 524 E. 72nd Street, a 50-story condominium tower. More Photos »
The plane was registered to Mr. Lidle, who was a licensed pilot. At a news conference this afternoon, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said that there were two dead, but he would not confirm that Mr. Lidle was one of them, saying the families of the victims had not yet been notified.
“No bodies were found in the building,” the mayor said.
He said that the plane left Teterboro Airport in New Jersey at about 2:30 p.m., that it circled the Statute of Liberty and then headed north up the East River, where it “had not violated any traffic control rules.”
The plane then lost touch with air traffic controllers, radar showed that the plane flew near the 59th Street Bridge.
Then, at 2:42 p.m., the mayor said, 911 received a call reporting a crash at a building on 72nd Street.
“It’s very tragic,” Mr. Bloomberg said. “We have to say a little prayer for those we lost, the two human beings whose lives were snuffed out.”
The aircraft struck at about the 40th or 41st floors of the building, at 524 E. 72nd St., near York Avenue, known as the Belaire. . Flames shot out of the building and smoke streamed up into the sky, visible for miles. The building was evacuated, the mayor said, but people were allowed to return later, after the fire wasput out.
The National Transportation Safety Board said it would send a team of investigators from Washington this evening, to take charge of the investigation. One of the five members of the board, Deborah A.P. Hersman, was accompanying the team, which was flying on a government plane from Washington.
The explosion after the crash, and the ensuing fire, interrupted the routine of the bustling East Side neighborhood. The Belaire has 50 floors, with several of the bottom floors housing offices for doctors and other professionals, with residences upstairs. The building is surrounded by several hospitals and medical offices.
Kim Quarterman, 50, a doorman at 411 E. 70th St., said he heard a noise about 2:45 p.m.
“It sounded like a truck gearing down,” he said. “You know how a truck sounds when it’s trying not to hit something? Then I saw a cloud of smoke.”
After that, he picked up his daughter, Chablis Quarterman, 13, at a nearby school.
“My dad and I tried to get as close as we could, but by then, all you could see was smoke,” she said.
Several witnesses said that the plane was flying lower than normal, and then that it turned suddenly, towards the building.
Rob Miranda, a carpenter, had been working on a renovation project on the 46th floor. He and the architect had just finished lunch when they saw an airplane approaching the building. It hit the Belaire on the north side. It had been wobbling, they said, and at first, they thought it was a stunt plane.
“He was out of control,” Mr. Miranda said. “He was on an incline, accelerating as he passed. Then he hooked around the corner, he hit the north side of the building, and you heard a tremendous explosion.”
He said he and the other workers ran, checking the 38th and 39th floors for any people who needed to get out. As smoke quickly began filling up the rooms, they took the elevators down.
Another contractor with a roofing company, Arturo Waulk, was working nearby when he saw the aircraft.
“It was a small plane and it was wobbling, and then all of a sudden it was buried in a building and fires were blowing all around,” he said.
At the Belaire, two men Leonard Cutillo and George Acosta, were waiting to see their doctor. Mr. Cutillo, who was leaning on a cane, had tears in his eyes and was shaking as he recounted what had happened.
“We’re sitting in the building, and we heard this tremendous noise and everything starts blowing out — glass, smoke, flames — and we just got out of there as quick as we could,” Mr. Cutillo said.
Laura Stern, who lives on the 27th floor of 515 East 79th Street, said she was in her living room, which has an unobstructed southern view of the Belaire.
“I saw huge flames shooting out of the Bel Air,” she said at about 4 p.m. “I didn’t see the impact but it’s huge. I can see it now — black smoke. There’s still flames they haven’t put out.
“But it doesn’t look like it’s affected more than two stories.”
Alexa Lagnori, who lives across the street from the Belaire, at 525 E. 72d, was in her apartment when the plane struck.
“I saw the fire and it seemed to be pouring out of five to 10 floors below,” she said.
She said firefighters responded quickly to put out the fire and comb over debris from the plane littering the ground. She got out of the building with her dog, Akira, through a back door.
“It looked as if something had hit the building very hard,” she said . “I thought at first it was a black plane, but it may have just been the smoke. It was frightening how much fire it caused.”
Samuel Klotman, 17, was on the roof of his school nearby with classmates when they saw the plane coming down.
“I could see through the buildings what I thought was a plane headed to this building,” he said. “Then there was a booming noise and a great fire gust shooting out.”
He said he and his classmates started text messaging and calling everyone they knew, “wondering what was happening,” and the school let everybody go home.
Reporting was contributed by Al Baker, Joe Drape, Anthony Ramirez, Matthew Sweeney, Natalie Layzell, John Holusha, Carla Baranauckas and Matthew L. Wald.
Next Article in New York Region (1 of 30) »

Cheap Thrills
10-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Thats just wrong man..
C. fighting back the laughter T. :wink:

Dribble
10-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Have no fear, it was ordered by the current administration, to LOOK like an accident, to cover it looking like a terrorist act (very complicated). A select group of VERY smart individuals will see right through the smoke-screen though. :rolleyes:
Now that was funny. :rollside:

seanv
10-11-2006, 02:46 PM
If there was ever any doubt before....you sir are sick and wrong
Chuck
who...meee.... :crossx: :crossx:

fourspeednup
10-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Ya I know I shouldn't be.....but I am ;)

HocusPocus
10-11-2006, 02:59 PM
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/APTOPIX_HIGH_RISE_PLANE_CRASH.sff_NYMA105_20061011 182527.jpg
that doesn't look good at all..

Wet Dream
10-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Another damn good funny. :D

CBadDad
10-11-2006, 03:09 PM
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/APTOPIX_HIGH_RISE_PLANE_CRASH.sff_NYMA105_20061011 182527.jpg
that doesn't look good at all..
Must've been a bitch of a fire to put out. Climbing 20 plus floors is hard enough, let alone with full turnouts and equipment. After 9/11, those poor firefighters must have had to take a big deep breath before starting their clmb...

Old Texan
10-11-2006, 05:02 PM
The 9/11 conspiracy "buffs" are already planning their spiel on "why this 56 story building didn't fall thus confirming their assertions that the Bush Gang rigged the foundations with explosives in the Trade Center." :rolleyes: