PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Allison trans question.

djunkie
10-11-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm gonna service my trans and this Allison is a little new to me. I was told that I only have to change the spin on filter and not drop the pan to do the filter in there. Does this sound right? The truck has 30k miles on it.

racecar.hotshoe
10-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Yep thats it!

dicudmore
10-11-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm gonna service my trans and this Allison is a little new to me. I was told that I only have to change the spin on filter and not drop the pan to do the filter in there. Does this sound right? The truck has 30k miles on it.
yes thats about it...drain and refill the pan while you're at it...
ps you're late...I think the manual calls for sooner than 30K :wink:

Lightning
10-11-2006, 01:56 PM
That's the reco.... while you're at it, try to find some Transynd fluid - it's awesome and has a much longer srevice life (50,000 miles). I did drop my pan at 50,000 and pull the interenal filter, an additional 2 quarts came out.

djunkie
10-11-2006, 01:58 PM
yes thats about it...drain and refill the pan while you're at it...
ps you're late...I think the manual calls for sooner than 30K :wink:
Shhh don't tell anyone. I just found out to that I should have changed that filter at 5k miles too. :cry:
Well I've towed with it once so hopefully I didn't hurt anything.

djunkie
10-11-2006, 01:59 PM
That's the reco.... while you're at it, try to find some Transynd fluid - it's awesome and has a much longer srevice life (50,000 miles). I did drop my pan at 50,000 and pull the interenal filter, an additional 2 quarts came out.
So will regular old Valvoline Dexron 3 be no good on my 2005?

Trailer Park Casanova
10-11-2006, 02:01 PM
According to the owners manual, if you do heavy towing, just the spin on and Dextron 2 every 25K.
Drop the pan every 100k.
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/albun09/P9060047.sized.jpg
Do the rear end oil as well each 25 K.
The GM rear end oil is grape scented and ya have to use the slippery stuff that comes in a little bottle too. 4 quarts + the little bottle.
The GM rear end oil no longer has the cool do it yourself bottle so ya have to get a little pump and pump it in.

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Check out this site www.dieselplace.com they have a shitload of good info...
Ya I'm on there and I'm not getting any replies from them. Thats why I'm here with it now.

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:04 PM
According to the owners manual, if you do heavy towing, just the spin on and Dextron 2 every 25K.
Drop the pan every 100k.
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/albun09/P9060047.sized.jpg
Do the rear end oil as well each 25 K.
The GM rear end oil is grape scented and ya have to use the slippery stuff that comes in a little bottle too. 4 quarts + the little bottle.
The GM rear end oil no longer has the cool do it yourself bottle so ya have to get a little pump and pump it in.
I bought 4 quarts of syntehic Valvoline gear oil today for the rear. I thought only limited slip diffs needed the additive?

dicudmore
10-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Use Transynd fluid and DON'T (sorry Dan) get your filter and fluid from the Dealership, they will take your Rhino in trade and you will owe them some more money, go to your local Allison dealer and get it from them, you'll save about 40 bucks on the filter and about 30 bucks a gallon on the fluid, and that's no bullshit... :) :skull:
save 40 bucks on the filter?? even at above MSRP matrix price I don't think they came to 40 bucks...does the Allison dealer give them away?? no worries here...I'm long out of the car business, but here to help any way I can

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:05 PM
save 40 bucks on the filter?? even at above MSRP matrix price I don't think they came to 40 bucks...does the Allison dealer give them away?? no worries here...I'm long out of the car business, but here to help any way I can
Would a Wix from Napa be ok?

dicudmore
10-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Would a Wix from Napa be ok?
never used one before...if they have it for that application I don't know why not

Beer-30
10-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I bought 4 quarts of syntehic Valvoline gear oil today for the rear. I thought only limited slip diffs needed the additive?
Most all GM p/us come with posi these days. If you are 4wd, I am sure you probably have a G80 rear diff.

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Well it looks like I opened a can of worms with this now. Here is what I bought today. Lets here what I did wrong. :rollside:
1 case of Valvoline Dexron 3 for trans and transfer case service
1 Wix/napa spin on trans filter
4 quarts synthetic Valvoline gear oil for rear diff
2 quarts regular valvoline gear oil for front diff.

Jordy
10-11-2006, 02:09 PM
A little bird once told me that you can run Transynd in your 1000 series for up to 100K for what you're normally doing with it. 50K is for severe duty, like the trash trucks and school buses. It's available at your local Allison dealer as well as the filters. If you're not running the Allison spin on, the Wix/Napa filter would be my second choice. Just make sure you don't throw the magnet that sits between the filter and the housing away with the old filter. ;) :D

dicudmore
10-11-2006, 02:11 PM
The dealer quoted me $59 for the filter, I got it from the local Alison dealer for $14 I think.
Out of the car business? What are you doing now? Fulltime Pimpin??? :D
I just checked one of my old dealers...actual retail on the filter is $39
I work for Realteam Real Estate and Mortgage in Las Vegas

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:11 PM
A little bird once told me that you can run Transynd in your 1000 series for up to 100K for what you're normally doing with it. 50K is for severe duty, like the trash trucks and school buses. It's available at your local Allison dealer as well as the filters. If you're not running the Allison spin on, the Wix/Napa filter would be my second choice. Just make sure you don't throw the magnet that sits between the filter and the housing away with the old filter. ;) :D
Gotcha. So will I be ok with Valvoline Dexron?

Jordy
10-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Yes. Run it out for the next 25K if you're set on going this route and then use the Transynd next time. ;)

Beer-30
10-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Shirley it will be just fine in there. :)

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Shirley it will be just fine in there. :)
Thank you. And don't call me Shirley. :crossx: :crossx:

Beer-30
10-11-2006, 02:16 PM
:) Thank you. And don't call me Shirley. :crossx: :crossx:

76ANTHONY
10-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Thank you. And don't call me Shirley. :crossx: :crossx:
fagggggggggggggggg!!!!1 :crossx:

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Yes. Run it out for the next 25K if you're set on going this route and then use the Transynd next time. ;)
The only problem when going to that synthetic stuff is a regular service doesn't get all the old stuff out. So now it becomes a mix of half synthetic and half regular. Thats why I don't really feel like going that route. And I'm way too lazy and cheap to try and flush it. Plus I figure from now on I'll drain the pan every 10 to 15k along with the filter. I think I should be ok. Especially since I really don't tow with this thing much. At least nothing heavy.

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:17 PM
fagggggggggggggggg!!!!1 :crossx:
Don't you house some house cleaning to do grandma? :crossx: :crossx:

76ANTHONY
10-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Don't you house some house cleaning to do grandma? :crossx: :crossx:
yeah yeah yeah, at least i dont have to ask a boat forum how to service my truck, ya faggggggggggg :crossx:

Jordy
10-11-2006, 02:19 PM
It's like I am a mind reader or something:
The only problem when going to that synthetic stuff is a regular service doesn't get all the old stuff out.
Oh, and when you get ready to do the Transynd and want to get the most out of it, take it to your Allison dealer and have them do the fluid change. They should have a machine that will flush all the old fluid out of your converter and cooler and replace it all with the Transynd. We get light duty trucks in all the time to do it and I want to say it's about $180 with fluid and filter, at least it was last time I checked. Then you don't have to worry about it for another 100K. Pretty cheap in the whole scheme of things, and your tranny will run cooler. ;)
oh, and Transynd and your Dexron/Mercon fluid are totally compatable so no worries on running 1/2 and 1/2, although flushing it would be the best bet. :D

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:20 PM
yeah yeah yeah, at least i dont have to ask a boat forum how to service my truck, ya faggggggggggg :crossx:
Probably why your truck is such a POS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yuk: :rollside: :rollside:

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Oh, and when you get ready to do the Transynd and want to get the most out of it, take it to your Allison dealer and have them do the fluid change. They should have a machine that will flush all the old fluid out of your converter and cooler and replace it all with the Transynd. We get light duty trucks in all the time to do it and I want to say it's about $180 with fluid and filter, at least it was last time I checked. Then you don't have to worry about it for another 100K. Pretty cheap in the whole scheme of things, and your tranny will run cooler. ;)
Maybe I will do that the next time. Should be around 45-50k miles on the truck then.

76ANTHONY
10-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Probably why your truck is such a POS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yuk: :rollside: :rollside:
yeah thats it...... :crossx: i went on fixmyblender forums and asked :crossx:

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:24 PM
That was my worry as well, with the Transynd you don't have to worry about them mixing, they are compatible. I changed mine at 30K and will change it again at 40K then again at 50K, at that point I will have well over 90% Synthetic fluid in the trans then I wont have to change it again until 100K, I know it's overkill but IMO it's worth it. BTW, if you change your own Oil and Fuel Filters don't buy the Napa Gold Fuel Filter, the factory filter is sufficient and costs $29 compared to $80, just passing along what I'm learning...
Who says Napa filters cost that much? I get a deal on them. :rollside:

Jordy
10-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Goddamn your fast... :D
Nah, I just had a head start as I was kind of predicting what comments/questions were coming next... ;)

Jordy
10-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Just the fuel filter was that expnsive plus it was the gold series,
I think I paid right around $20 for the last fuel filter I bought for mine and it was a Wix filter. :idea: :D

djunkie
10-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Just the fuel filter was that expnsive plus it was the gold series, I had to leave my kid there while I ran down to the bank to get a loan for the other $60... :D
I think it costs me less than $45 for the fuel and oil filter from them. Combined.

Beer-30
10-11-2006, 02:53 PM
They have an Allison ATF also.
http://www.thebestsyntheticoil.com/allison_atf.htm

Beer-30
10-11-2006, 03:04 PM
I looked further and they have a new CJ-4 2007+ Diesel engine oil already.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/deo.aspx

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
10-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Just remember heat kills transmission fluid, if you live in hot area service more. That advise is coming from transmission shop manager. Do change that inner filter, that gives you a chance to look @ pan for any problems that are about to happen. What does it cost for special fluid. regular fluid is about 1.50 a qt, and napa brand fluid is valvaline. BIG JOE

Trailer Park Casanova
10-11-2006, 06:52 PM
I have the GMC version of Posi, I forget what ya call it,,,, and the GM shop manual says use the additive.
The GM rear end oil is 25 bux a quart, and the dealer mechanics I know say don't use the cheap stuff, keep dancing with who brung ya and stick with the factory stuff.
Supposed to have properties that perform better at high temps, hence the stinky smell, and those suckers do get very hot.
Damfino, I stick with the stuff the dealer sells me. Stinks like the sewers of hell, so ya gotta use rubber gloves, or your hands will smell for days.
When I dump the oil diff oil,, it looks like it needed changing.
I do it warm.
75.000 trouble free miles so far.
Allison book says to expect 200.000 miles outta the tranny. I fully expect that.
I don't trust the shops to do the work.

Beer-30
10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
I use TORCO in the outdrive and the rear of the dually. Really nice stuff. $13/liter. Doesn't stink like usual and I just checked it; looks brand new @30K. I would post the info, but it looks like their server is down right now.